Tough Decision

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3fatcatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions and support.
I have now contacted 20 rescues and will do more today.

She has shown me that she will not give up and so neither will I until all possible options are exhausted

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both cats have their own safe space, my office for one cat and husbands office for another cat.
We have three catios, one deck just for the cats and walkways in our home as well
I have reached out to all rescues in my area and none will take her because her cystitis is not curable and because they are full with it being kitten season.
Even the Ottawa humane society will not take her because rehoming her is near next to impossible with her issues.
She is considered a special needs cat and both cats have tried Amitriptyline / Prozac and Clonicalm .Both cats are currently on Amitriptyline and gabapentin
If you're in Ottawa, I'll recommend reaching out to the Merivale Cat Hospital or Bytown Cat hospital. They are reasonably priced and many vets at the other clinics are not as well versed with cats. How can they be? They are like drs who have to keep up with research on multiple species at all times.

I've had problems with other vets in the area not following proper treatment protocols for cats and my friends have also had odd experiences.

If the vets at the cat hospital say it's time to go with euthanasia, it's time. (Edit: it could be time is what I should say).

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the vets at the cat hospital say it's time to go with euthanasia, it's time.
A totally over-broad - and dangerous - statement to make, regardless of who the vet is. If I had followed the recommendation that one vet made, my cat would be dead. She is not the cat she once was, but surely is not to the point of being put to sleep.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the vets at the cat hospital say it's time to go with euthanasia, it's time.
Pet owners must have something/someone to depend on and a team approach to a pet's illness is the best approach to utilize. If the current vet can't be trusted with a decision that is this important, then a second veterinarian opinion should be obtained.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pet owners have to have something/someone to depend on. If the current vet can't be trusted with this, then a second opinion should be obtained.
It isn't really a matter of trust. But a second opinion goes a long way in determining whether or not all possible options have been exhausted. I am not sure that I would even stop at just a second opinion. I have been involved with enough different vets to know that it might take more than that before being able to think all pathways have been depleted.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A totally over-broad - and dangerous - statement to make, regardless of who the vet is. If I had followed the recommendation that one vet made, my cat would be dead. She is not the cat she once was, but surely is not to the point of being put to sleep.
Fair and very correct. Perhaps I wrote too hastily. I should have said, perhaps it is time.