Tough decision...what to do about Cuddles

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

And this is why I haven't just called random shelters. I know they are all stuffed to the lid with cat and like I said, I don't want her in a cage. But thanks for asking around, I do appreciate it.
Jen.....I really think Cuddles deserves individual attention that comes from someone who can act as a foster. Someone who is perhaps home all day and doesn't have other animals. Sometimes cats react very differently when they are the "queen bee" so to speak.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I would give a little bit of an update. I still haven't found anyone to help with Cuddles, but I have contacted a few more places and people thru rescue groups I have dealt with in the past. I am awaiting replies.

I made up a flier for the old folks home across the street and I am going to try to take one to a few more similar places tomorrow on my day off. I also stopped by a thrift antique store with my sister yesterday and they happened to have some one screen doors on clearance for $6 so I bought one to stick in my doorway so the cats can sniff each other. Cuddles ran to check it out but when she saw my cats she ran away, hopefully she will get a little more adventurous.

I signed up on a yahoo group for senior cats too. I send emails to a few senior cat rescues or rehab type places asking for help. If anyone can take her that doesn't live in the state I might try to set up a transport for her. I have never done that before though so... but I will figure that out later if I need to.

Umm, I think that's it for now. My mom wants me to bring Cuddles to her house. She has three shy cats, my sisters big old cat and an old mellow dog, but she also live in a huge house with a basement and lots of large bedrooms so there are more options. I don't know if this would be a good thing or if it would upset Cuddles too much. I guess the question to ask myself is what would be the purpose of taking her there. Which I don't really know. Just to see if less cats and more space would be better? I have such a small apartment and 7 cats here in close quarters. My mom is home alone all day so Cuddles would have a person there with her all the time. She might do better. But in the evenings, there are three other people and a baby around too so Cuddles might freak out then. I don't know rrgg. Do you think it's worth a shot? Maybe Cuddles would be happier there but maybe not. Now that she is used to my room and everything.

thats all for now.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Aww that's great all the effort your putting into finding Cuddles a home

Your mums house sounds a lot bigger and might be better for her,Will she be kept in the basement on her own?If so that sounds like a good Idea.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Aww that's great all the effort your putting into finding Cuddles a home

Your mums house sounds a lot bigger and might be better for her,Will she be kept in the basement on her own?If so that sounds like a good Idea.
I don't know, there are a few possibilities or the option could be left up to Cuddles. My moms two cats rarely leave her bedroom, except to trek down to the litterboxes and food in the basement about twice a day. The other cat is more social and is usually hanging around but she is also really respectful towards other cats, so she would give Cuddles her space most likely. The basement is cold and where the food and boxes are at. There is also my sisters big old cat Charlie. He roams the whole house and he is the one I am concerned about most. He will be out of there soon though when my sister and her husband leave and Charlie can also be put in my sisters bedroom by himself during the day. Their baby is there too but he is only 3 months old so all he does is sleep really and he sleeps up in the bedroom with the door closed so I am not concerned about him either.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I thought I would give a little bit of an update. I still haven't found anyone to help with Cuddles, but I have contacted a few more places and people thru rescue groups I have dealt with in the past. I am awaiting replies.

I made up a flier for the old folks home across the street and I am going to try to take one to a few more similar places tomorrow on my day off. I also stopped by a thrift antique store with my sister yesterday and they happened to have some one screen doors on clearance for $6 so I bought one to stick in my doorway so the cats can sniff each other. Cuddles ran to check it out but when she saw my cats she ran away, hopefully she will get a little more adventurous.

I signed up on a yahoo group for senior cats too. I send emails to a few senior cat rescues or rehab type places asking for help. If anyone can take her that doesn't live in the state I might try to set up a transport for her. I have never done that before though so... but I will figure that out later if I need to.

Umm, I think that's it for now. My mom wants me to bring Cuddles to her house. She has three shy cats, my sisters big old cat and an old mellow dog, but she also live in a huge house with a basement and lots of large bedrooms so there are more options. I don't know if this would be a good thing or if it would upset Cuddles too much. I guess the question to ask myself is what would be the purpose of taking her there. Which I don't really know. Just to see if less cats and more space would be better? I have such a small apartment and 7 cats here in close quarters. My mom is home alone all day so Cuddles would have a person there with her all the time. She might do better. But in the evenings, there are three other people and a baby around too so Cuddles might freak out then. I don't know rrgg. Do you think it's worth a shot? Maybe Cuddles would be happier there but maybe not. Now that she is used to my room and everything.

thats all for now.
That sounds like it could be another option, if the other stuff doesn't happen. It is so wonderful that Cuddles has you to help him find a forever home.

Still sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for you and for Cuddles.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your mom could give Cuddles a room to herself... wow, I bet that'd be your answer.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jen, I don't know if you've e-mailed the Best Friends Network yet, but if you haven't, please do! You just never know if there's someone in the area who wants to adopt her or foster her.

If your mom wants to adopt her, not just keep her until she can be rehomed, then I would consider that as an option, even though not an ideal situation for her. If it would be temporary, then status quo is probably best.

I still think using the screen door (whether at your place or hers) is the way to go for the intros. I do think with time that Cuddles will be able to interact with other cats.
It just takes time.

IF Cuddles is adopted by your mom, I don't know that allowing Cuddles free roam of the house while keeping Charlie in your sister's room is really a good option.
Charlie is used to having his territory, and it is Cuddles that needs to learn how to interact with other cats.

Just my two cents.

Laurie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Jen, I don't know if you've e-mailed the Best Friends Network yet, but if you haven't, please do! You just never know if there's someone in the area who wants to adopt her or foster her.

If your mom wants to adopt her, not just keep her until she can be rehomed, then I would consider that as an option, even though not an ideal situation for her. If it would be temporary, then status quo is probably best.

I still think using the screen door (whether at your place or hers) is the way to go for the intros. I do think with time that Cuddles will be able to interact with other cats.
It just takes time.

IF Cuddles is adopted by your mom, I don't know that allowing Cuddles free roam of the house while keeping Charlie in your sister's room is really a good option.
Charlie is used to having his territory, and it is Cuddles that needs to learn how to interact with other cats.

Just my two cents.

Laurie
my sister just needs to get out of there and her cat will go with her. They are in the process of looking for a house. So hopefully soon they will be gone. I am not taking Cuddles there yet because my sister just brought their dog over tonite as well because he wasn't working out where they were keeping him. Once these extra animals and people leave, if I haven't found a home for Cuddles yet, then I will take her there. It just got too hectic and unstable there since like yesterday.

anyways, about the best friends network. Do you just mean to post something in the forums, cuz I did that? I am not sure who to email exactly though...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I stuck Cuddles in a large crate and put her out in the hallway with a blanket over the whole cage except the front. This way her and my cats can see each other clsoe up. I was a little nervous about freaking her out because I have seen how she reacted towards my cats at first. But there was not a peep out of any of them! So i am doing it more and more. Just now though there was some growling. But that is it really. She doesn't even seemed scared by them, just not interested in them getting too close.

If it keeps up this good then I might take her over to my neighbors house who fosters for me. She hasd a bunch of kitties too but they are pretty mellow and they are rarely out in the living room. She might do better in a calmer home with cats who won't walk right up to her and hiss in her face like mine usually do. I am still nervous about letting Cuddles out of the cage outside my room in full range of my cats. Just because I can't go to her and comfort her since she doesn't like that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is an excellent method of getting cats used to each other! I'm glad it seems to be helping.

If your neighbor is around more than you are and understands Cuddles needs, it sounds like you may have found an answer.

Laurie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks for your reply. I actually have another update. I "met" someone via the internet who rescues too. I asked her if she can help and in return I can foster a cat and advertize or something for her. She said she can take Cuddles and work with her because she just rehomed a couple of cats similar to her, older, who lost their home of many years and she has experience with this sort of thing. I haven't heard back from her again yet so hopefully she replies back soon. I am anxious to get Cuddles, well I hate to say get her out of her, but to get her with someone who knows what they are doing a little better and who is home a lot more often. I just figured it out that with both my jobs I work 40 hours a week and I am in class 20 hours a week. So I am rarely home!

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread..I hope Cuddles finds a forever home soon. Good luck!
I Wish I could have helped but as you know, my place is full and soon to be fuller.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a thought... if this looks like it's going to move forward, please get references! From a vet, from a shelter she works with, from people who have adopted cats from her.... any combination of the above...

Don't learn the hard way, like we did with Spooky.

Thank you for taking the time with Cuddles - and to find the right place for her.

Laurie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I am taking Cuddles to meet her on Sunday. I am going to her so that I can see her place. She is a grandma and is at home a lot. She is in the process of starting up a rescue group of people in the area who can get together once in awhile and discuss rescue and animal talk and stuff. Sounds quite fun. I am excited and she has a lot o experience with finicky older cats. I am so happy Cuddles will have a better place to be and have someone caring for her 24/7.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh Jen, that sounds wonderful. Thankyou for putting so much effort into finding somewhere for Cuddles. My heart breaks for this girl but its so heartwarming to hear that things are looking up for her.
I assume you will be able to get updates?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a heartbreaking situation. I'm so happy things seem to be working out.

It takes a very special person to foster cats. It's not something I could ever do. This is why we need people like you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks guys. and thanks so much for your help and encouragement. I am so glad things turned out the way they did and not the way I was originally thinking they would. I love you guys!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jen - I so agree with huggles! Thank you so much for putting so much work into making things work for Cuddles.

I really hope all goes well and this works out!!!!

Laurie