Totally weird cat massage...

toki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first time I saw it I burst out laughing and called my sister into the room. I'd never seen anything like it before and it was absolutely hilarious.

So the day before this happened, I'd bought a really cool sweater in kenzington market. This thing was the softest, coziest sweater I'd ever had, and I was SO excited to wear it. I layed it out on my bed and went downstairs to haave dinner.

Later I came back to find Toki, AND Charlie, lying on the sweater...and they were MASSAGING it!! They were flexing their little paws back and forth, while sucking on and licking the sweater and purring their little hearts out! ... did they think it was their mommy? Or worse...were they sexually attracted to it...?

I sure hoped not. But since then I've had them neutered and they continue to do it, it's so cute!!

Do anyone elses kitties do this?? And if so, why?

love,

a curious kitty owner

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe someone else will come along and correct me but I always thought their kneading was related to being really comfortable, my cats do it sometimes when I'm giving them a good massage in my lap.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you did say it was a cozy and comfy sweater. Would you knead it if you could?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my boys like to knead on soft things. My new boy Jersey kneads & suckles on t-shirts all the time. The assumption is that he was taken away from Mom to early. Kneading is a sign of contentment. This is the motion they do on their momma's bellies to get more milk when they nursing.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Wiggies likes to snuggle into soft and cosy blankies and knead them. He doesn't actually suck on the material, but sometimes it looks like he might. He was taken early from his mom, and that's why I think he's such a "kneady" boy.

ryffian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents have two adult cats (6 years old) that will knead and "suckle" the bathroom rug.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats were with their mommas past the 12 week point, so it might be more a comfort thing, at least with my crew.

Spencer is especially fond of the soft, over-sized and gently tattered sweater I wear when I'm just hanging around the house. To help with the socialization process of his litter, I wore this same sweater every single time I interacted with the kittens, so maybe he's remembering that with affection.

Funny, his sister, Heather, couldn't care less about the sweater.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kneading is a very common things with cats. It shows happiness and contentedness. It is also called "making biscuits" and "pounding" and I'm sure there are other terms too.

Each cat has his or her own preference. Jennie will knead on anything soft. Tolly kneads on me only. Mazy never did knead, but now she will, only when curled up on my shoulder, do a little in and out thing with her paws, sort of kneading but not quite. She didn't have anyone to teach her when she was a baby I think. She was an unsocialized semi feral when I adopted her.

I made a little movie of Jennie and Tolly giving me a massage. I get one every night!

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just by coincidence a few minutes ago I found Bailey kneading my girlfriend's robe... she loves that thing! It was so cute so I decided to take a video and share it with you guys since we're on the topic. Her collars really frayed but my girlfriend just ordered a new one she liked off of the internet.

Before I get people up in arms her tag is only in case she escapes outside... She's never been outside and doesn't show much interest but better safe than sorry.

I don't know how to embed video like I've seen in other topics so I just uploaded it to youtube... I hope linking to it isn't against the rules or something.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww...Bailey is so beautiful! I love her pink collar! I posted a video link too, so I also hope it's not against the rules.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, Otto, Atinsley, those videos are great!!!! Otto, I can even hear the orange kitty purring, and I totally laughed when you laughed watching the gray tabby - wow do I know that look!!!
Atinsley, Bailey is just beautiful and whoa, she's got some BIG claws!

Awesome videos - thanks for posting, you two!

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Auntie!

Bailey doesn't do much serious scratching even on her scratching posts and she never uses her claws when she plays so those claws are nothing to worry about
. However, her brother Buddy gets a little rough sometimes with his claws.. he's the one you have to be careful with!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. Kneading... I have several kneaders.... Jake and Ghost knead ME.... Casper kneads the air, kind of bicycles his paws when he is laying on his side or back.

Sometimes my boys will just open and close their toes in contentment. It is sooooo cute!!!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

... Casper kneads the air, kind of bicycles his paws when he is laying on his side or back... Sometimes my boys will just open and close their toes in contentment. It is sooooo cute!!!
My cats often sleep on the cat trees closest to my desk and sometimes, when I look over and catch their eyes, they'll start doing that, almost like gently massaging the air. I love seeing it, knowing my kitties are that contented just to be near me.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swanie doesn't knead a lot, but one evening I put on a fuzzy, comfy, soft bathrobe and sat on the couch. Of course, he had to come for the lap, and when he felt the bathrobe he kneaded the heck out of it. It was extremely cute.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it wool? I have heard of cats liking to suck on wool.

One of my cats likes fleece, like the 'microfleece' synthetic type. I have a robe made out of that and when I bring it out she will start sucking on it and kneading. Just today I caught her sucking on/kneading a sweater that got knocked on the floor. She also likes to lick weird things. She grooms the other cats a lot and likes licking peoples' faces and hair, and licks metal and plastic such as the bars of my rat's cage and a plastic shelf on my desk.

I once caught her grooming my German Shepherd! Here's a video:

lawrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little Cloe kneads me, only when I go to bed thoughshe comes and snuggles under the covers and starts kneading me with her claws out. She has shap claws aswell...