Total Novice Falling For Stray Cat

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! Figured this was the place to come for advice from knowledgeable cat lovers.
Sorry, this is a long one....

To start with, I'm have a cat allergy and have therefore never spent enough time with cats to know even the first thing about them. So when porch kitty showed up when I was moving into my house last fall, I was tickled at the attention, but did nothing to encourage her. I was moving boxes in little by little over several weeks and she'd often show up, rub all over my pants legs, and try (and often succeed) to follow me in the door while I was carrying the boxes. I didn't really pet her (except with a leaf or a towel occasionally) but I'd talk to her and laugh at her antics. Then one day I showed up at the house with my large dog. She gave me the dirtiest look a cat can muster and ran off. I barely saw her at all for the next 5 months or so. Occasionally I’d see her on the porch of the house two doors down when I’d walk my dog. She would shrink down when she’d see my dog and just sort of watch us walk by, but that was it... Until about 2 weeks ago.
Suddenly one evening she reappeared on my porch. Over the next several days I went from:
1. just saying hello
2. to petting her with a soft object
3. to taking (multiple) allergy medications so I could pet her with my hand for 5 or 10 min
4. to leaving a bowl of water out for her
5. to peeking outside multiple times a day to check on her
6. to letting her snuggle every evening for an hour or more
7. to buying her cat food and feeding her once a day
8. to setting up an insulated box for her to sleep in
9. to buying a cat toy and playing with her daily
10. to feeding her twice a day and giving her turkey treats

So that escalated quickly!

Anyway, as for any human owner, I'm not really sure what the situation is yet. I believe she is what you would call a "community cat". I know that the one lady two doors down puts food out in a tupperware bowl occasionally, but she's told other neighbors that while she sometimes feeds the cat, the cat isn't her's. There's another neighbor two doors in the other direction who feeds several cats every day. I asked her if the kitty is hers and she kind of said "yes, I feed all of them" and told me that that particular cat came to her for food when she moved to the neighborhood 10 years ago. This really surprised me because the cat does not at all look 10 years old, but I'm no cat expert, so I'm not sure what to make of this.

Anyway, the next time I see the neighbor that feeds all of the cats I will try to find a way to figure out if she takes the neighborhood cats to the vet and gets them fixed and vaccinated. If she says no, I'll ask if she minds if I take Porch Kitty to the vet. Her response may also give me a better sense of whether she'd mind if I sort of adopt the little cat as my own.
But I'm wondering if, even if everyone is ok with me taking over her care, whether that is the right thing to do?

The problem is, she definitely seems like she wants to be an indoor cat. Here's why:
1. She keeps sticking her nose in the door even though she won't go in because she knows my dog is sitting right inside the door.
2. When I first moved and she got into the house a few times she would rub her face all over the house, which I believe may be territory marking behavior?
3. When another cat comes around my porch (more on that in a minute) she sits right by the door like she's desperate to get in. Actually, she sits by the door a lot, which makes me feel really bad.

But there are a few problems if she is looking for an indoor home. First, I have no idea whether she and my dog could be trusted together. It seems really risky and I have no experience in this area (someone I know just had a tragedy in that department and it freaks me out a little). Second, I don't know the first thing about training a cat not to tear up one's antique furniture and houseplants. I've heard horror stories on this subject. Third (and possibly the only real dealbreaker) I've invested in 24 hour allergy medicine and steroid nasal allergy sprays to cut down on the worst of my allergy symptoms, but am still a little congested/wheezy so I'm concerned that if she were to become an indoor cat I'd be setting myself up for major trouble.

So, would it be wrong to "adopt" her as just an outside cat? I could take her to the vet, treat her for fleas and worms, and get her a kitty condo and figure out a way to heat it for next winter?

My second issue is cat #2, who showed up on my porch yesterday. I'm having a hard time determining whether the two cats are friends or if #2 is antagonizing Porch Kitty. I call cat #2 "Bobblehead" because he/she has a gigantic head and feet on a small skinny body. He/she is also missing their tail (just a nub). Anyway, I've seen Porch Kitty and Bobblehead hanging out near each other in the neighborhood before. Not super close- maybe 6 feet apart. I assumed they were friends? But when Bobblehead appeared yesterday he/she came up on my porch and stared at her (and me) with big eyes, very intensely. Then he/she kept trying to get closer to Porch Kitty- usually by approaching her from behind, which she didn't seem to like at all. Porch Kitty seemed intimidated, but I'm no expert on cat psychology. The one time Bobblehead approached her from the front she hissed really loudly. I finally ended up chasing Bobblehead away with a broom because Porch Kitty seemed really tense the whole time Bobblehead was there. This made me feel really guilty, of course. Bobblehead is a lot skinnier than Porch Kitty and seemed to be breathing heavily so I wonder if he/she is unwell. I don't want Bobblehead harassing Porch Kitty or giving her any diseases, but I also don't want to be mean to a sick kitty or break up a friendship (if there is one) either. I mean, it is entirely possible they've been friends for a long time and my presence has turned Porch Kitty selfish and possessive, right? She doesn't seem to be the antagonist here, but it is really hard to tell. So honestly, I don't know what to do about Bobblehead if he/she shows up again tonight. I know he/she gets food elsewhere, but maybe he/she needs better quality food and some serious veterinary care as well.

Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks so much for reading this far!

Cookiecat73

Love for stray/feral cats
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I would say a few things based on your description.
- the kitty might have been in a home before but was abandoned, thus the trust in people and the willingness to be indoors
- with the time, the kitty and dog could warm up. You never know. From my experience, cats are like people, different characters. Some warm up, others don't. But it's not impossible.
- having a kitty outside is not a bad idea at all. Personally, I had Silly outdoors. She didn't want the indoors, no matter how much I tried to lure her to live indoors. In your case, you might realize very soon that the kitty will be on your bed :D The kitty might start following you inside, friend the dog, all kinds of things can happen.
- there are a few things that you should watch out for if having a kitty around... like avoiding toxic plants, or somehow covering exposed soil areas, since the kitty could dig there and make it a toilet, and then you will have issues, especially in the summer... that can smell bad.
Feel free to visit my page dedicated to strays/ferals, and the sanctuary I've made for them in my backyard.
Care for Stray & Feral cats | The Silly Legacy - Caring for Stray and Feral Cats

Oh and spaying/neutering is a must... :)
Good luck to you!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply and your helpful link, Cookiecat!

I will definitely review all of the great information on your page. I'd love it if it could work out that Porch Kitty becomes Indoor Kitty, and I think that's something that might just take a lot of time and experimentation with all of the various factors.

And yes, absolutely, making sure kitty is spayed is priority #1. I didn't see any kittens around the neighborhood over the last year since I bought the house, so fingers-crossed that all of the neighborhood cats are already fixed. If not, I'm on it! Nothing worse than the sight of starving, parasite-infested kittens staggering around getting hit by cars and whatnot (as happened in my post-Katrina New Orleans neighborhood some years back)(shudder).

Cookiecat73

Love for stray/feral cats
Kitten
Purraise
Yes getting the kitty indoors is always preferred :(
When Silly crossed the rainbow bridge, I took in two new feral cats from the shelter (or else they were going to be euthanized), to live in the backyard. If you visit my website, you'll see the enclosure where they stayed for 6 weeks. After they were let out of the enclosure, they slowly migrated indoors, only to be found on my bed a few months later... :D There are other beds in the house, and two couches... but they wanted MY bed. :yess:

You just never know... :D It's always interesting with them.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me too that she was abandoned at some point after living in your house. With your allergies, I can't see any future for you, sorry to say. It's kind of the neighbors to feed the cats, but I think they would all be better off in a no-kill shelter. Someone will adopt them and love them, but it's up to you.

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes getting the kitty indoors is always preferred :(
When Silly crossed the rainbow bridge, I took in two new feral cats from the shelter (or else they were going to be euthanized), to live in the backyard. If you visit my website, you'll see the enclosure where they stayed for 6 weeks. After they were let out of the enclosure, they slowly migrated indoors, only to be found on my bed a few months later... :D There are other beds in the house, and two couches... but they wanted MY bed. :yess:

You just never know... :D It's always interesting with them.
I did see the photos of your backyard on your website and I have to say, your yard is gorgeous!! :loveeyes: The landscaping is fantastic and apparently extremely functional as well! Love the shelter you built and am more than a little jealous of the plants you can grow in your climate too! :)

My backyard is just grass for now. It's enclosed with padlocked gates and a chain-link fence, but you've given me an idea... I've never even once seen a cat get in there even though I've seen cats just about everywhere else in the neighborhood. Maybe I could somehow move Porch Kitty to the backyard where she might be a little safer until I figure out whether I can allow her to be an indoor cat. This morning when I came out to feed her breakfast I found Bobblehead in her box and she was nowhere to be seen. (She did return about 20 min after I shooed Bobblehead away, though). Of course, if she's in the backyard that will mean no more letting my dog out back. Also the backyard is on the north side, so it isn't as protected from the wind in the winter...BUT... I have an unused detached garage that I could convert into a shelter for her... hmmm.... Thanks! You've given me some new options to consider.

Now I just need to get ahold of the woman who's been looking after her (and all of the others) for all of these years. I think it is one thing if I just tend to a cat that voluntarily sleeps on my porch, but it is a whole other ballgame if I want to lure a kitty into my backyard and restrict her ingress/egress. :nervous:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am allergic to cats and there are three in my home; so I personally don't see the conflict. I take a daily asthma control and two allergy control medications plus the occasional benadryl when other allergies flare. It does take about six months for symptoms to level out and your body to adjust to the new constant stimulant. But much like when you get allergy shots, it will get better with constant exposure. You can also be diligent with cleaning in the home and get an air purifier to help minimize symptoms. I, obviously, think it is worth it and gladly accept the trade off. It depends on the temperament of your dog how she and the dog would get along. She isn't aggressive toward Bobblehead and stayed away for a while debating so I doubt she'd be aggressive towards your dog. I'd say she made up her mind that being with you is worth being around your dog.

I don't think it sounds like Bobblehead is a friend, not an enemy but not a friend. I would just shoo him away when you see him so she can be comfortable. If you feel guilty about it you can set up a feeding spot for him a little further away and lead him to it whenever he comes around so he knows that is where he gets food. But, since your backyard is enclosed you do have the opportunity to put Porch Kitty back there. You can even put a cat proof topper around the fence to ensure she stays inside and other cats can't get in. But I think my guys can't get over a chain link fence very well either. I am sure if they were determined they would climb it, they climb the chicken wire side of our aviary, but if you don't have overhanging trees or tall bushes it might be enough on its own to keep cats from climbing. The gates it would depend on height, my cats will go over our wooden fence that is seven feet tall. They just take a running leap and use support beams as gripping points, we have a little kitty ladder on the alley side of some pegs that we put in when Link was recovering from a broken leg but they got over fine without that. Or you could build an enclosed patio (catio) for her to live in completely enclosed. But it sounds like she has decided you are hers.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. If it were me I would help both Porch Kitty and Bobblehead. If he isn't neutered, then that's probably why she is annoyed by him. I would bring both to the vet to be spayed/neutered and vaccinated for Rabies and FVRCP Distemper. It would be great for her to have a buddy and not much more expensive. I had two cats show up around the same time, a boy and a girl, and it worked out better that way. You could keep them both as outdoor cats until you decide. That's the way I did it, they were outside while I thought about it, then they came in for good.

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me too that she was abandoned at some point after living in your house. With your allergies, I can't see any future for you, sorry to say. It's kind of the neighbors to feed the cats, but I think they would all be better off in a no-kill shelter. Someone will adopt them and love them, but it's up to you.
Hi DreamerRose! Thanks for your advice. Have you heard of a lot of other allergic people who have had to give up any hope of cat ownership? I may be being a little naive, but in my experience with visiting friends with cats over the years I've noticed that the more consistent exposure I have to a particular cat, the fewer problems I have with that (one) cat over time. With this cat, I broke out in hives the first time her tail (accidentally) touched my arm last fall, but since she's come back and I've been petting her I've had no hives at all. Also, my congestion has lessened a bit over the past two weeks, although that could be because it took a while for the 24 hour allergy medicine to build up in my system too. Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up, or the cat's hopes up. I don't know. I guess I need to do some more research on this topic. A cursory google search on the topic brings up articles suggesting ways for people to improve their allergies to their indoor cats-- so I guess it can be done by some people!

And yes, I too agree that outdoor colonies should be adopted if at all possible. But I'm not sure I have the heart to take them ALL away from this woman who has put in so many years of time, money, and affection? From the two conversations I've had with her, it is obvious she adores them. Also, for all I know, a couple of the 8 cats that I've counted in my area may be indoor/outdoor cats belonging to other people. So it is hard to know what to do here. I would feel very differently if I saw any kittens, or any clear signs of parasites or disease. Bobblehead is the skinniest, but he/she is not emaciated and has a beautiful thick coat. Perhaps the missing tail and the odd body proportions are a clue to his weight-- maybe some abuse from his past or something.
I will definitely investigate further to make sure every single one is fixed and vaccinated and offer to help out with their medical care if they need any. And maybe I can offer to try to trap and rehome any new cats that come to the neighborhood in the future so at least their numbers won't grow.

As far as the Porch Kitty being abandoned by someone who lived at my house, that's what I thought at first too! But then I heard from 2 other people that she's tried really hard to get in their houses as well. If she didn't spend every night on my porch, I'd think she was just a curious cat or a bold cat looking to mark every house as being her territory. But since she's sticking around so closely now that I'm paying attention to her, I have to assume she's looking for a permanent home. Since she chose me, I'm going to give her a chance. But if it doesn't work out (with the dog or the allergies), yeah, I really need to talk to the cat lady and tell her I'm going to find someone else to adopt her. She clearly wants more than a stray cat's life.

Thanks for listening, all! It helps to type these thoughts out.

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, Keika, thanks for your reply! I was hoping to hear from someone else with cat allergies! What you said about them levelling off makes perfect sense- I just responded to someone else that I hope that is what will happen here! I'm glad you've been able to make it work, and I'm sure your three cats are thrilled as well! :clap2:

Also, I think you are right about Bobblehead not being a friend. I mean, if they were friends, I would have found her on the porch this morning, even though naughty Bobblehead stole her box. The only reason I'm not feeding him/her yet is because I know he/she has access to food elsewhere and I don't want to give him/her (or the others) any incentive to hang around nearby since Porch Kitty doesn't seem to like it. On seeing Bobblehead again, I think he/she probably isn't sick- he/she was probably breathing deeply as part of the stalking behavior (he/she wasn't doing it this morning when PK wasn't there)- also his/her coat is really glossy and thick.

I also think you are right about my dog and Porch Kitty (I will come up with a better name for once I get permission from the cat lady to officially adopt her, I swear :lol:). They are very wary around each other, but show no overt aggression at all. And what gives me hope is that Porch Kitty definitely thinks it is worthwhile to hang out on my porch despite the fact that I have to pass by her with my dog when I take him on walks. Starting two nights ago I began bringing my dog onto the porch and sitting with him by the steps for about 10 minutes so she can see he's not so scary. She kind of hides under the furniture, but doesn't try to run away. Maybe I'll keep doing this for a while and see if there's any progress.

Thanks also for your fence advice! I'd never heard of a cat topper for a fence! Will have to investigate further. It isn't a super-high fence, but it is kind of uncanny that cats never come in, so maybe with a few alterations it will be 100% suitable.
Then maybe one day Porch Kitty can be an indoor/backyard-only-outdoor kitty. I have hope now! :yess:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi DreamerRose! Thanks for your advice. Have you heard of a lot of other allergic people who have had to give up any hope of cat ownership? I may be being a little naive, but in my experience with visiting friends with cats over the years I've noticed that the more consistent exposure I have to a particular cat, the fewer problems I have with that (one) cat over time. With this cat, I broke out in hives the first time her tail (accidentally) touched my arm last fall, but since she's come back and I've been petting her I've had no hives at all. Also, my congestion has lessened a bit over the past two weeks, although that could be because it took a while for the 24 hour allergy medicine to build up in my system too. Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up, or the cat's hopes up. I don't know. I guess I need to do some more research on this topic. A cursory google search on the topic brings up articles suggesting ways for people to improve their allergies to their indoor cats-- so I guess it can be done by some people!

And yes, I too agree that outdoor colonies should be adopted if at all possible. But I'm not sure I have the heart to take them ALL away from this woman who has put in so many years of time, money, and affection? From the two conversations I've had with her, it is obvious she adores them. Also, for all I know, a couple of the 8 cats that I've counted in my area may be indoor/outdoor cats belonging to other people. So it is hard to know what to do here. I would feel very differently if I saw any kittens, or any clear signs of parasites or disease. Bobblehead is the skinniest, but he/she is not emaciated and has a beautiful thick coat. Perhaps the missing tail and the odd body proportions are a clue to his weight-- maybe some abuse from his past or something.
I will definitely investigate further to make sure every single one is fixed and vaccinated and offer to help out with their medical care if they need any. And maybe I can offer to try to trap and rehome any new cats that come to the neighborhood in the future so at least their numbers won't grow.

As far as the Porch Kitty being abandoned by someone who lived at my house, that's what I thought at first too! But then I heard from 2 other people that she's tried really hard to get in their houses as well. If she didn't spend every night on my porch, I'd think she was just a curious cat or a bold cat looking to mark every house as being her territory. But since she's sticking around so closely now that I'm paying attention to her, I have to assume she's looking for a permanent home. Since she chose me, I'm going to give her a chance. But if it doesn't work out (with the dog or the allergies), yeah, I really need to talk to the cat lady and tell her I'm going to find someone else to adopt her. She clearly wants more than a stray cat's life.

Thanks for listening, all! It helps to type these thoughts out.
Bless you for loving these cats! If you can manage your allergies, by all means take in Porch Kitty. She will be much safer in your house, and you aren't diminishing the colony by that much.

I've known one other person who's allergic to cats - my DIL's sister - and she is horribly allergic, but she rocks along with Claritin when she comes to visit. I almost suggested that you visit an allergist to see if you could be desensitized, but it sounds like you are doing it on your own.

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. If it were me I would help both Porch Kitty and Bobblehead. If he isn't neutered, then that's probably why she is annoyed by him. I would bring both to the vet to be spayed/neutered and vaccinated for Rabies and FVRCP Distemper. It would be great for her to have a buddy and not much more expensive. I had two cats show up around the same time, a boy and a girl, and it worked out better that way. You could keep them both as outdoor cats until you decide. That's the way I did it, they were outside while I thought about it, then they came in for good.
Hi Maggiedemi! I'm embarrassed to say that I still don't know if Bobblehead is a boy or a girl. I thought maybe a boy because of the behavior, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing back there. You'd think with no tail it would be easier to see, but he doesn't get his backside as close to me as Porch Kitty does, so I'm still clueless. From afar I don't think I see anything obvious back there, but maybe he is a neutered male? I guess I should google pictures of cat backsides for comparison and hope my employer doesn't think I'm a weirdo. :lol:

So yes, I will definitely make sure he is being seen by a vet and is neutered/vaccinated. As far as keeping them together, for now I think I'll wait and see if they really are friends. Since Porch Kitty appears to have run off when he stole her bed last night, I'm leaning towards maybe not! Silly Bobblehead. He is really cute, even if he's a naughty thieving kitty.

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless you for loving these cats! If you can manage your allergies, by all means take in Porch Kitty. She will be much safer in your house, and you aren't diminishing the colony by that much.

I've known one other person who's allergic to cats - my DIL's sister - and she is horribly allergic, but she rocks along with Claritin when she comes to visit. I almost suggested that you visit an allergist to see if you could be desensitized, but it sounds like you are doing it on your own.
Aw, thanks. :) The way Porch Kitty snuggles up to me on the porch settee and smooshes her little face into my side while I pet her made it impossible for me to resist the transition from a "dog person" to "OMG- I'M TOTALLY A CAT PERSON TOO!!" practically overnight. They are clever little beasties, kitties!
I think she knew a sucker the first time she laid eyes on me last fall. :lol:

I'm glad your DIL's sister makes it work with the Claritin. And a visit to an allergist is a good idea! Think I'll do that, thanks!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to be gross, but it kind of looks like a sack under their tail. It's really easy to notice!

completecatnovice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to be gross, but it kind of looks like a sack under their tail. It's really easy to notice!
Haha. Not gross, just a funny conversation to have with people you don't really know. :lol:

So then Bobblehead must be either female or neutered male. I checked out the diagrams on the Humane Society International website and I honestly don't know how a man on a flying horse could tell the difference. The only time I see Bobblehead's rear end is when he is running away, so there's no pulling out a ruler and measuring his delicate bits for me. :flail:

This must be one of those areas where experience really helps. Bobblehead may be a little protective of his backside due to the nub tail. He's always facing me. Usually he's giving me a dirty look. Except this morning, when he peeked out of the cat box and gave me an innocent what-on-earth-do-you-mean-I'm-not-the-right-kitty? kind of look.

I guess I'll just have to ask the nice cat lady. I need to track her down to ask about vaccines anyway...

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI I have a family member that is really allergic to “particulate such a strong perfume) grasses and cats! She take allergy shots every two weeks and is now on an inhaler. But we have 4 cats in the house. Scrupulously vacuum use and dusting, making bedroom off limits so you have a “safe room”, etc. and it can be done. All depends on how allergic you are. The range is from mild sneezing/watery eyes to an all out can’t get your breath when they’re around. Shots help to build your immunity but if over the counter stuff works you aren’t very allergic. If you fall into the watery eyes and mild sneeze occasionally...I would say go for it and bring her in.
If you vet them both you will know if they are fixed and once that’s done given a little time things will settle down between them.
I wouldn’t make to big a deal about the cat lady if she is feeding lots of neighborhood cats. She should be glad to see them get forever homes!

Just be aware stray cats are like potato chips...you can’t have just one! I used to say it’s like Halloween...you knew who had the best candy in the neighborhood, well they do to. I think they have a secret mark they put on your door only known to strays that says in cat “it’s here”!

Thanks for what you’re doing. I too was a former dog only person and I couldn’t tell you to this day what happened.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may want to see an allergist to be tested to find out exactly what you are allergic to. Once that is done you can have the option of going through the desensitizing shots which might help, maybe a lot. I am allergic to grass pollen and have gone through the shots twice now. While it didn't "cure" the problem it helped make it better so the reactions are less violent. Funny thing for me is my cats will pick up pollen on their fur and then I get exposed to it that way sometimes.