took in a friends cat temporarily and my cats harrass her 24/7

emfn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have 2 cats:   booty (female- age 3) and a CH kitty named downsy (male- 10 months).  they get along great...but we recently took in a friends cat named olivia.  she is 8 years old.   they dont get along at all.  i'll try to make this short as possible.  olivia basically hides under a platform in my room that the tv sits on top of.  she never comes out because my cats harrass her and guard the little entrance on the platform 24/7.  olivia hisses when they come near her and my cats attack her if she tries to come out.   i've tried all the introduction processes and its just not working.... olivia has been here for almost 2 months now and still refuses to come out from under the platform....i've had to resort to feeding her and providing a litterbox under there for her because she was pooping and peeing in there since she couldn't get to the litterbox without a full on battle against my cats.   well booty is the main problem since downsy is a CH kitty.  he's not very threatening to olivia.  how do i stop my cats from guarding the platform 24/7?  i work all day so i don't exactly know what goes on when i'm gone.  

the only way she comes out is if i lock my other 2 cats out of the room... and that doesn't go over very well with my cats either.  i feel bad because my cats keep her prisoner under the platform. 

background on this situation:   i recently took in my friends cat after he was evicted from his apt. currently he is in a hotel that doesn't allow pets.  i'm keeping his cat at my place "temporarily" until he moves into a hotel or apt. that allows pets.   now i know how this sounds and i'm aware that this might become my new cat.  but that can't happen since she doesn't seem to like other cats.    i told him he has until the end of june to move into a place that allows cats or to at least make other arrangements elsewhere for his cat...otherwise i will give her to the spca (she was adopted from there originally) she would easily get adopted...she is the sweetest friendliest cat.   i've already had his cat for 2 months...so i think that giving him another month til the end of june is a reasonable amount of time for someone to move into a differnet (s.r.o.)  hotel or make arrangements for his cat if he really wants to keep her.   am i being unreasonable? 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot answer and how long you should allow Olivia to stay; however, I can offer advice and the cat-to-cat conflict.

First, what is the setup of your apartment? It doesn't sound like you did a proper introduction with the cats.

Ideally, if you do not intend on keeping Olivia, I would have given her her own room and left it as such. No need to stress anyone out if the cats are not going to be living together permanently.

If your goal is to have the cats at least tolerate each other, then you need to go about a proper introduction.

This starts with separating Olivia from your resident cats. A small room or bathroom is ok. Just make sure she has all the necessities...food/water bowls, litter box, bed, toys (and a cat tree if possible.)

Give Olivia time to get comfortable in her space. Then start scent swapping (use a towel/blanket.) Let Olivia have a blanket for a few days to get her scent on it. Then, place that blanket out with your resident cats (in a place they frequent.) Take a bed/blanket that smells like your resident cats and place in the room with Olivia.

Keep swapping blankets/beds every other day or two so the cats' scents mix.

Some cats will sniff the blanket others will growl/hiss.

Scent swapping may need to be done for a few days or a few weeks, depending on how the cats react.

Slide the blanket under the door and work toward feeding the cats on each side of the closed door.

If all goes well, can move toward letting cats see each other via cracked door (some people replace a bedroom door with a screen door to allow cats to interact without touching each other.

The total introduction process can take days to months depending on the cats. The key is to go at the cats' pace, not yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emfn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i did have them separated...olivia had the bathroom for about 3 weeks.  then olivia left the bathroom and took her new spot under the platform....i havent tried the scent swapping blanket thing but its probly too late for that since they already know about each other

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It is not too late. You need to reseparate Olivia and start the introduction process over. There have been many people come thru this site that have had to do the same thing and have had greater success the second time around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emfn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok i'll try that....should i put olivia back in the bathroom where she originally was or should i put her somewhere different?