Too late to be spayed?

bmthomas530

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two female cats that are just over a year old. I've read a few places that getting them fixed should be done before they are a year old.

Is this true? Is it harmful to have it done now? I'd like to get it done for their health and just the ease of not having to deal w/ two young cats in heat!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMThomas530

I have two female cats that are just over a year old. I've read a few places that getting them fixed should be done before they are a year old.

Is this true? Is it harmful to have it done now? I'd like to get it done for their health and just the ease of not having to deal w/ two young cats in heat!
No!!! It is not harmful and is highly recommended!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmthomas530

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know on average how much the procedure costs?

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Kotton when she was 3 or 4 or ? years old and got her spayed IMMEDIATELY with a lazer spay. I HOPE to prevent her from getting mammary cancer!

If you spay Before 6 months (or before they get their first heat) they have a 0 to 5 % chance of getting mammary cancer and each heat period or pregnancy after that the odds go UP!

tigerfanfrv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
there isn't an age limit. the vets i work with like to spay at 6 months, but its never too late. grant it, if its a 150 pound bull mastiff the staff will grumble about hulling the dog from prep to surgury. and some people wait untill thier giant breed dog is full grown to say "oh yeah lets do that now"

i'm getting off topic. spaying is recommened before the first heat cycle, but if the cat is older no one is going to have a problem with it. as long as the cat isn't in heat on the day of the procedure. some vets will have you reschedual, others won't, depends on the doctor

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey you live in Ohio! As do I. I live in Kent/Hudson.
There are a few places in NE Ohio to get a low cost spay surgery.
Do a search or call your local humane society or rescue and ask if they have a list of places you can call. Check the newspapers too because many places have cheap clinics or mobile clinics and you might find a place to do it for under $50.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where in the world do you live that it costs $150 ???
My boy was neutered for $45 and his sister (who my Daughter took in) was spayed for $85.....and I thought that was a plenty!

rinadaventry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that I got both my male cats done for 23 dollars a piece, though neuters are cheaper than spays. Your local humane society should have links to clinics that do spay/neuters for dirt cheap-- in GA you can even get it done for free if you qualify, and I know in some states it literally costs one dollar to get it done.

nan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They go all over Ohio.
Maybe they come near you.
They charge around $40.00 - $45.00 to spay a female.
Can anyone else here help with getting in touch with a place that NOMAD goes to near this person?
Dr. Bert and Dr. Laura are just great. They do a really great job. Will spay/neuter only if the cats are healthy and will do pregnant females as long as they are not so far along that they are lactating. They also offer low cost vaccinations and flea, ear mites, and ticks treatments. The last I heard the vaccinations are only $5.00 each. The prices may have gone up though. I know they used to do both spay and neuter for $30.00 each.
I can probably find out some info if no one here can help.
Keep us posted.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely not too late!

As for cost, it all depends on where you live. It's easy to say that anything over $XX(X) is too much, but if that's what it cost in your area, that's what it costs. I paid over $100 for my boy, and over $200 for my girl. And that was at two different vets, so that is the going rate for this area.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure they come to the Portage Animal Protective League in Ravenna, Ohio if that is anywhere near you. At least it used to be NOMAD, I would have to check if that is still who we work with.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not too late at all. But there are health benefits to doing it sooner, so better to spay now than to wait until they are 2-3 years old.

I have a friend who had 3 female sisters. She kept them as inside only, and did not spay. She lost one to mammary cancer, and one to uterine cancer! The last one was then spayed, but my friend regrets that she wasn't aware that spaying is healthier for cats, even if you are able to keep them from pregnancy.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are seriously considering this - I have recently lost a rescue cat to mammary cancer cos her owner never bothered to spay her. Then you have the prob that she may develop pyometra, which is a nasty infection. You guys are lucky to get places that do cheap spay/neuter, in the UK the only time you can get that is if you are on benefits. Checking that the vet you use will spay if the cat is in heat is a really good idea, it saves you having to pre-starve her and drag her all the way there for them not to be able to do it.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No! You misunderstood the advice. What they mean is that it is *best* to spay during the first year, before the first heat cycle. This is because it eliminates the possibility of an unplanned litter of kittens and reduces her chances of breast cancer to nearly zero. But it is never too late to spay a cat, at least unless she's really ancient and in bad health. Obviously your cat is not anywhere near there.

If cost is an issue, call your local animal shelter and ask about their spay/neuter programs.