Tomorrow's the big day! Joni's coming home!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget that she'll pick up on your stress. Just give her some space and time and it'll all work out fine.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just saw this thread, Anna
. No wonder you are not answering your Spotlight questions

Most kittens will get along rather quickly. You won't have a problem and a little hissing is just adorable
. They will be fine and I think is safe to let them interact a little more each day. Joni is a DOLL
and congratulations to your new baby!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

I went out to eat with my brother and his girlfriend and they came back to the house afterwards and we had a da bird session... with all three kittens!!
Joni did really well - I agree with some of you who have said she may end up ruling the roost...
She is a fierce, confident young lady! She was watching us play from the side of the couch and then jumped out to join and immediately took possession of the little toy. The boys backed off a bit to let her play and then they all played together for awhile, but then Joni & Simon jumped for it at the same time and sort of crashed into each other. That really upset Joni and she swatted at Simon who finally hissed back (the first time either of the boys has hissed) and he ran off to observe from a dining chair.

After that Joni seemed to be on edge, and kept swatting and hissing if Garfunkel tried to play (not sure if she was possessive of her "kill" or still upset about unwanted physical contact with Simon), so I ended up putting her away. But still! It was about half an hour of playtime between the three of them in very close proximity. I'm really excited about tomorrow. Hopefully she'll let me sleep tonight

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing such a great job with them! And I love their names. If another kitty joins the family, what do you have in mind? Bob? Mary? Pete? Kingston? Odetta?

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
p.s. I know you are as hungry for pictures as I am!! I will try my best to get some tomorrow, but for now - here are some "alternate takes" of her in the carrier last night.

Pretty eyes:

Oh - I did get one fuzzy one today. Here she's sitting on top of the cardboard junction under the bar - that's Garfunkel in the foreground with his back to her. She's observing from above

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

You're doing such a great job with them! And I love their names. If another kitty joins the family, what do you have in mind? Bob? Mary? Pete? Kingston? Odetta?
Pete!!!!!!!!!!!
Pete Seeger will definitely be the next boy kitten who joins the family (a long time from now, I hope, in a much bigger apartment or house!
!!). I love Pete as a cat's name: strong, monosyllabic, long vowel sound. Joan Baez is another favorite of mine, but too much like Joni.
I'm also considering Mavis, after Mavis Staples, and I hadn't thought about Odetta but I love her too!

Now... the ultimate in metaphysical cat-naming: How about.... Cat! (After Cat Stevens
)

Other boys I'd consider would be Buddy for Buddy Holly and Ringo for Ringo Starr (even though he's not my favorite Beatle, but to represent the Beatles without having to choose John, Paul, or George as cat names, none of which I particularly care for for cats, except maybe George). I wouldn't name a cat Bob but I'd consider Dylan. Hmmm... I better stop talking about this before I call the local shelters and ask for more kittens!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's going well. Hissing, swatting and growling is normal. My Brillo would growl during meals for the first week after I got her and she was 3 years old. She now rules the boys--we call her the "little tyrant" as she is literally about half the size of each of them.

I've never been able to do the "lock away" other than keeping the baby gate to our stairs closed so the dogs can't chase the newcomer cat. As long as you have a safe area the newbie can utilize, it will be fine.

Have a fun weekend! Relax!!!

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! Thanks all for the reminders to relax! I'm not too worked up since she's home from the vet and healthy, just wanting to do the right thing and ensure that everyone will be happy! I have a good feeling about today and hope that we'll make some breakthroughs.

I think I'm going to take all of the above advice and after feeding time, let her out into the house and just sit & watch, and let her hide if she wants or play if she wants.

Though, the one remark I have is that that stinking growl works as nature intended! It is very scary to hear and makes me stop cold. I'm glad Joni does not consider me her prey!!!

Originally Posted by NutroMike

Enjoy that new baby
She is so easy to enjoy. I actually slept through the night with her which I could never manage when the boys were still in the safe room (which is my bedroom). She woke me up with purrs and kisses... best feeling in the world.