Tomorrow's the big day! Joni's coming home!

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In about 24 hours, I'll be bringing this pretty girl home to live with me & the boys:

I am very excited about finally having her here!

Just a brief background in case you missed my earlier threads: At the behest of her small children, a girlfriend of mine got this kitten from her friend's cat's litter and named her Angel. Almost from the start I had a hunch it wasn't going to work out. She kept referring to the kitten as "wild" and "aggressive" and complaining she couldn't sleep and Angel wasn't getting along with the dog OR the kids (lol!). She emailed me a few times asking for advice and I gave nighttime advice as well as information about adopting a second kitten to be a playmate. Every time I asked after the kitten, though, nothing seemed to be getting better and my girlfriend just shook her head and would say, "She is so WILD!"

About 2 weeks back she told me she had finally decided to get rid of the kitten. She put up a picture on facebook but she's only got 85 friends on there, lol, and no one even commented on the picture. I asked her what she was going to do and she said she'd probably end up taking her to the shelter. We do have several good shelters in my area, but some bad ones too, and being that it's kitten season and she was describing the kitten as "aggressive," I was too frightened about the kitten's fate to let that be enough. So, with the help & encouragement of our TCS family, I decided to bring her home! It's been a looooonnnnngggg two weeks waiting for her, and I'm overjoyed it's finally here!

Angel will be renamed Joni. She's about 11-12 weeks old now, 5-6 weeks younger than the boys. Joni will spend tomorrow night in my bedroom, away from the boys, and then will visit the vet on Friday morning to have a physical exam, vaccines started, and a FeLV test! After that I'm hoping to start introductions. I took Friday off to be able to spend a long weekend with my new brood. Wish us luck!

So excited about this!
I hope Joni will be happy in her new home with age-appropriate playmates!!!! I hope Simon & Garfunkel learn to love her very quickly and that it causes no rift in their sweet, close relationship.

Thanks for all your help & support! The boys, Joni, and I are lucky to have a great place like TCS to come to for encouragement and friendship.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, she's so cute! I hope it all works out well, and I'm sure it will, and have fun! And post lots of pics!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
11 to 12 weeks? Of course she is wild! She's a baby! And has a ton of energy just like a toddler!

I'm so glad that you are taking this beautiful girl home with you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! Joni is official with my apartment complex - I'm on my lunch break and just signed the lease addendum and paid my deposit! After her mom gets out of work she has to go to court for her divorce
but I should be getting Joni after she gets back!

The hardest part will be the wait between getting off work and my friend calling. But I put off shopping for her food bowl & water bowl so that I'll have something productive to do in the meantime. Think I'll also pick up some more litter just in case!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

11 to 12 weeks? Of course she is wild! She's a baby! And has a ton of energy just like a toddler!

I'm so glad that you are taking this beautiful girl home with you!

I was thinking the same thing.
She's a lot better off with you because you seem to understand cats better than your friend.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what a beautiful kitten, she looks like a calico/tortie. I wish you the best of luck with Joni and I doubt she is wild, she's just acting like a kitten and you know that too

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
She's adorable! OMGoodness, what a cutie she is! Congratulations on saving Joni....she will have a wonderful home with you. Enjoy her "wildness"!

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

I neglected to mention it here, but I did meet this kitten about a week and a half ago, and she is not aggressive at all! She plays just like the boys did when they were her age (SOOOOO long ago, you know, like a month!
), she just needs a little attention and direction from other cats to teach her boundaries for what is too rough during play.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by parsleysage

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

I neglected to mention it here, but I did meet this kitten about a week and a half ago, and she is not aggressive at all! She plays just like the boys did when they were her age (SOOOOO long ago, you know, like a month!
), she just needs a little attention and direction from other cats to teach her boundaries for what is too rough during play.
You said something about your friend's "kids". If you meant "human children" - it's likely they may have been playing too rough with her and she was just being rough back.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very exciting event, indeed! I'm so happy for all of you!

AC

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

You said something about your friend's "kids". If you meant "human children" - it's likely they may have been playing too rough with her and she was just being rough back.
Possibly! I played with her quite a bit and she did the normal, innocent "lick, lick, bite" type - not aggressive at all, just kitten play. The only difference was the bite was pretty hard (though not painful or enough to make me hurt or anything like that), which is why I think it's a socialization issue. I think she'll meet her match in the boys during the first few wrasslin' tournaments they have
and she'll know it hurts to bite that hard and won't do it anymore.

Thanks everyone!
I went shopping & that didn't take too long, so now I'm just straightening up the house and enjoying my last few hours alone with my sweethearts. My next update should have a picture in it!

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's home!!! Look at my beauty in the carrier on the way home:

Things are going... okay. The boys always meet me on the stairs and they were sort of sniffing at the carrier as I was bringing it in and locking my door, heading up the stairs, etc. They seemed okay until Joni started to growl and hiss
Then they turned into Halloween cats.

I set up Joni in the bedroom with her food (Meow Mix!!!!
), water, litter, her toys from home, some new toys I got her, and her bed. I hung out in there for a little bit, she used the litterbox which was great!
and then started exploring. I was sitting on the floor just sort of watching her and she kept growling as she was walking around, so I don't know what that means
I left her alone in there and now I'm out in the living with my boys, worrying!!!

It is SO NERVE-WRACKING to leave a new cat in a room by herself!!!!! I'm trying to relax and hoping for the best! The boys seem fine, I'm not sure if they know she's in there or not.

Thanks everyone... please send us some warm thoughts!