Tom cat tries to mate with pregnant female.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry to hear that. Most kittens won't latch to a bottle if they have a mother to nurse from. You have to feed them drop by drop with a syringe or a dropper. It is very time consuming. It sounds like you did everything you could under the circumstances.

Did you ever contact the "breeder" again?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plutosangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry to hear that. Most kittens won't latch to a bottle if they have a mother to nurse from. You have to feed them drop by drop with a syringe or a dropper. It is very time consuming. It sounds like you did everything you could under the circumstances.

Did you ever contact the "breeder" again?
I did actually and told him everything about what happened. Actually, he runs a pet shop with a variety of birds, fish hamsters etc. Cats are just one of the many animals he stocks so hes a businessman rather than a breeder. I told him that I had done a lot of research and that 1. The cats I have are mixed breed 2. That some of the practices that he had adopted were not right and it wasn't the right thing to breed indiscriminately. He told me that he had stopped breeding the cats himself and only had three kittens remaining at the store that he wanted to push. He also said that he had now decided to procure cats from breeders in the area if a customer asked for a cat as he found it too cumbersome to breed them at his store. Anyway I didn't have the patience with the guy but I was glad that he had decided to only procure his cats and not breed them himself anymore. There's a lot to be done in the area of breeding regulation and local pet population control in my country - I'm in India BTW if I haven't mentioned it before :) we don't even have pounds for dogs or cats - there's no concept of euthanasia here and neither is much awareness about dog or cat spaying even among strays by the government. We have strays everywhere and they live a miserable life. Only few breeders are licensed and most don't even give you papers.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you taught him a few things in this process.  This does make me mad for you, though, because he wasn't so much breeding kittens as asking you to go through a terrible process for his own gain.  I hope he covered your vet bills.

Good luck to you and your kitties.  I hope you plan to keep this little one and post lots of photos!

Last edited: