Today is J-Day!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope Jackie just wants to play with the cats.  I can't figure out why she would start being mean to them after all this while.  Just keep an eye on her, she just seems to be very playful. 

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog has always been playful and wants to play/chase cats. She is a Malamute, so this is even more of a problem. When we first got her, we had a cat who she cornered. Luckily, the cat taught her a lesson, swiping her nose when she trapped her. Now my dog barely ever chases or tries to play with cats. If she starts to go toward them we tell her no and she stops. she usually will only bug them if they are playing with things on her side of the house. The cats generally just play in our bedroom where the dog isn't allowed to go so this isn't too much of a problem.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. My DH found a petrified frog in our shed once years ago. He decided that I really needed to see it (:rolleyes2 ) so he kept it on the front steps until I got home and he could show it to me. After I saw it and said, "OK great. Now get rid of it" He put it back on the front steps. When DD walked the dog that night, the dog found the frog and ate it like it was a potato chip. :cringe:

NOTHING good comes from that. The next day, she erupted from both ends in her crate. DD found her like that when she got home from school. She was in middle school at the time so she called DH at work and when he got there, they had to take her, crate and all out to the driveway to hose everything off.

When I got home a couple of hours later, he told me what happened and said, "at least YOU didn't have to deal with that."

I said, "why should I? YOU are the one who left the petrified frog where the dog could find it and eat it, NOT me."

What's a petrified frog?

:winner: me    :lol3:  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[quote name="Columbine" urlike two of my grandsons. Brothers age 10 309569/today-is-j-day/150#post_3899837"]It's very possible that Jackie was trying to play. Leah does it from time to time. My gut instinct is that if Jackie had been going to go after the cats in hunt/chase mode, she'd have done it when she first moved in.

I know that doesn't help when she's upset one of them (and I really do feel for Muffin :heart3: ), and of course she has to learn it's not ok, but knowing the motivation behind the behaviour can make a difference.

For what it's worth, Cali used to get Leah in trouble just like Tabby did - he'd roll around in front of Leah, and sometimes even pounce her...knowing full well that she'd respond and get yelled at :rolleyes: Asha tries the same thing from time to time too :lol3:

It IS worrying when dog goes after cat, but it sounds like Jackie's already learning that it's not acceptable behaviour. If she's consistently told 'NO' (or whatever) every time she shows that kind if interest, she should stop doing it pretty quickly. If Tabby or someone can give her a good swipe when she tries it, so much the better ;)

Hang in there :hugs: :vibes:[/quote]

Your Tabby and Leah sound like two of my grandsons aged 10 & 7, brothers. The 7 year old likes to get the older on into trouble and has been doing it since he was about 3 years old.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be careful about prey drive. Some beagles have that but I hope for your cat's sake she is just playing!

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what's a petrified frog?
A frog had gotten into the shed and couldn't get out so the poor thing died in there. It gets really hot here in Florida so the body of the frog dried out until it was just dried out skin over bone. This is what my DH found and decided to leave on the front steps so I could see it. After I saw it and asked him to get rid of it, he put it back on the front steps where the dog found it and ate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

A frog had gotten into the shed and couldn't get out so the poor thing died in there. It gets really hot here in Florida so the body of the frog dried out until it was just dried out skin over bone. This is what my DH found and decided to leave on the front steps so I could see it. After I saw it and asked him to get rid of it, he put it back on the front steps where the dog found it and ate it.
When I read that the other day, I giggled. Sorry, but I thought it was hilarious. That is so typically a dog thing to do! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

When I read that the other day, I giggled. Sorry, but I thought it was hilarious. That is so typically a dog thing to do! 
Oh yes, it is. Yeah I did too. My poor DD came home from middle school to an apocalypse of doggie bodily fluids. Fortunately, she was in the crate (poor dog). 

My DH used to do stuff like that a lot. I came home from work one day to find a turtle in the kitchen sink. He used to get home right before me and he was out back in the screen room having a smoke. I went out there and asked him why it was there. His answer?

"I rescued it from the road and I wanted you to see it before I let it go in the lake". 

We live in Florida. There are lakes, ponds and canals by the side of the road for the water to run off into. There are turtles EVERYWHERE. I rescue turtles from the road and take them to a safe place a lot myself. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I am going to PetSmart tonight. I had talked with a woman there and, evidently, Jackie likes eating cat poop because it has lots of fat and protein because of what cats eat. And she said that, sometimes, a dog will eat cat poop when there's something missing from their diet. Well, she is on a special urinary dry food because of her kidney stone problems. 

PetSmart has a chewie that we can give to her that contains ingredients that she might want, but isn't getting from her food. The woman said that they've had a lot of good luck with that chewie when they've recommended it to dog owners, so we're going to try it with The Beast. That way, I don't have to put anything on the cats' food or anything like that.

And if we can get the cat-poop-eating problem out of the way, we can give Jackie free rein in the house. At this point, that's the only thing stopping us. Rick wasn't paying attention this morning and didn't put the gate in the hallway properly. First thing The Beast did was hit the litter box in the bathroom. When I found her, she was chomping away. 
 I was not amused. And she ended up in Time Out. We need to get this resolved somehow. (That is the only litterbox in the house without a hood and we can't put a hood on that one because Muffin needs a litter box that does not have a hood or she won't go in a box. It's the Mollipop-Muffin thing. A hood might solve the cat poop issue, but we can't because of Muffin.)

Other than that, things are going well. The other day (Saturday) we came home from shopping and found a "BIG CAT!!!!" sunning herself in the bay window in the living room! I'm serious! We came up the driveway and there was The Beast....all stretched out, flat on her back with her belly getting some sun. And she was fast asleep. If anyone driving by would have seen her, they would have thought, "Dear lord, that's one huge cat!" 

We awakened her coming up the driveway and she immediately sat up in the window and started carrying on. But even that isn't as bad as it was. And she calms down really quickly now. Most of the time, we get her outside and she's immediately calmer. We went for groceries the other night. When we came home, we started to come into the house and she started to carry on. We immediately turned around and went back outside for a couple minutes. When we came back inside, she was calmer right away. 

My sister came in the other night for a visit. I told her that our son and DIL had both said they would take Jackie....they had told us that when they were with us for Christmas. But Rick (and I) figure that The Beast is exactly where she needs to be. It's not perfect, but it's so much better than it was once when she first came here. 

And if you could have seen her in the window the other day.......

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh--that is such a cute story about "The Beast"; aka Jackie.

If it were me, I would be careful of what type of treat I would be giving her; because of her urinary issues. 

I do not know how to solve the issue of poop eating.

I am sure you have looked on line as possible causes.. If I have time (and remember) I will check it out myself...

Good to know that if things somehow worsen, Jackie will still have a loving home with your son....

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if you got one of those 'self cleaning' litter boxes.  Don't they clear the box as soon as the cat uses it?

Glad Jackie has calmed down and you have decided to keep her.  Can we see a picture of her?

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the only offer for someone to take Jackie and you both said no.  I think there is a little love going on around there
and that Jackie has stolen your hearts. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This is the only offer for someone to take Jackie and you both said no.  I think there is a little love going on around there
and that Jackie has stolen your hearts. 
I was thinking the same thing. She has wormed her way in 

hopefully she finds a new favorite snack and continues to get along with the kitties. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So happy to read this update (despite the poop eating :nausea: ). It sounds like The Beast is well and truly a part of the family now :D :heart3:

Really hope you can train her out of the poop eating. Not sure how to go about it in your situation though. Firm, consistent reprimands - ideally before thought had progressed to action - was how we did it. We taught the command 'leave it' (by putting a piece of kibble in front of her and telling her to leave it and rewarding when she did), and then pretty much told Leah to leave it every time she so much as paused by the litterbox. It took time, but it did work.

I can just imagine the Big Cat sunbathing on the windowsill :9:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our Miss J got a bath yesterday morning. She was not amused. But she looks so much better (and smells better, too.....there is something about the smell of dog. 
. I could always tell when Maggie, our granddog, hadn't had a bath in a while, too.)  We towel-dried and towel-dried, but I think we wore most of the bath water when she started shaking herself out. Rick finished drying her while I cleaned the bathtub out and then cleaned the bathroom. Then she got a good brushing.

We have to figure out a way to clip her claws; she doesn't even like us touching her paws, so it's tricky. Geez, I thought it was bad with Mollipop!

She's not used to us being on the floor with her; it's not something that Rick's parents would have done with her. Yesterday afternoon, I got down on the floor and told her to come over to me. She did, but she was very wary. I told her to lay down and she did. Then I rolled her over on her back. She loves having her belly scritched, so I started to scritch. And the tail started....and what a pretty tail it is since she had her bath! I think I could have scritched about 3 hours and she would still have been wanting more. 

So last night, while we were watching tv, I got down on the floor. Jackie didn't even need to be told....she jumped down off the couch, walked over to me, and flopped. And immediately rolled flat on her back for a scritching. We lay there for a while. I'd scritch her belly. Whenever I'd stop, the tail would start. So I'd scritch some more. When I'd stop, the tail would start.....more!, more! I think I've created a scritch monster. Didn't take long either.

So how often does a dog get a bath? I haven't a clue! She's outside every day in all kinds of weather. We do dry her feet off when she comes back inside....she has a lot of fur between those toes of her and, since it's cold out, we don't want her to have any foot problems with cold and wet feet. I don't want her skin to get dry because of too many baths, but I don't want her to be dirty either....she also spends time in our bed. Any ideas? Those of you with dogs, how often do you bathe them? 

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't really have a bath schedule for our dogs. It's been years since Pixie (greyhound) had a bath - he's a pretty clean boy, and had an open wound on his leg for years that made baths difficult.

With Leah it's maybe 3 or 4 times a year, more often if she rolls in something disgusting - she has a real thing for fox poop...and dead/decaying animals :nausea: If she needs freshening up, we use doggy spray on 'shampoos' that don't need washing out.
Regular grooming should be pretty good at getting rid of the worst of the grime in between baths too, especially with a short coated dog.

You can also get balms for their feet to stop them getting dried out. I've never needed to use them, but it sounds like you might with your bitter winters :cold:

I seem to remember that Jackie's pretty food motivated. You could try finding an extra yummy treat, and keep it just for claw clipping. One of you distracts her with a treat and the other does the clipping. She should connect the treat with the clipping before too long, and become much more tolerant.

I love how she's adoring her belly scritches :heart3: Sounds just like Leah when she's in snuggle mode :9:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it really depends on the dog how often they are bathed.  For some reason some dogs seem to develop the dog smell much quicker than others.  I just bathed a dog when the doggie smell became obvious.

I think that the leave it command is an incredibly useful command.  I would put it up there with sit and stay.  I also don't think that the old adage, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, is true.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our dog is rarely bathed. It is important though that you don't bathe them too much. One of my dad's friends from work was bathing his dog every week to get rid of the dog smell. The dogs fur started falling out and its skin got all messed up.
They need natural oils.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 I think the most I bathed a dog was maybe every 5 or 6 weeks and that was unusual.  For some reason that dog was one who started with the bad doggie smell really quickly.  I think usually it was maybe every 2 or 3 months.  On the farm our dog would only get bathed when he found something particularly vile to roll in.

Last edited: