Today I Lost My Bud Dante

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on losing Dante :alright:, especially during the holiday season. It took amazing strength and courage to let go but sometimes True Love does mean letting go. I admire your strength in mustering on - little Nick needs you so much and I am grateful that you are giving him the same wonderful opportunities that Dante was blessed with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I saw the kitten goofing off again between the shower curtains. I open them and take a peek to see what he was doing. He was chasing his tail! At the same time I thought it was cute; I also wanted to cry. My bud used to chase his tail in the bath tub. I still miss him so much! The kitten helps but I still miss him (I'm glad of the differences between Dante & the kitten Jackie.)

I picked up his ashes a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure what to do with them. I guess I will look for a nice kitty urn.... or keepthem in the decorative box they came in. I am going to look for my favorite pictures of him, to hang on the wall.

When will I stop missing him & wanting to cry every other day? I never realized how much Dante was my companion until he was gone. Love on your kitties extra while they are here.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a long time. They are part of our lives, and when they go, it's like a small part of us is gone too. I waited 20 years to get another cat just because it's so hard to lose them. And now when Lily or Mingo is lying on my lap, I start to grieve for the time when they will be gone.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie is taking up the mantel..... the mantle of adorable trouble maker. I don't have photos of me playing with him because he is so fast. He loves visiting my mom's place to see his brother & sister. I have tried talking to Dante sometimes and it helps a little.

Oh yeah he respects the stay off the counter rule:
IMG_7715.JPG
His first rose:
IMG_7735.JPG
Photo bombing his sister:
IMG_7705.JPG
Sleeping with his brother after a nice round of fight club:
IMG_7721.JPG

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I too just went threw this on Dec. 14th. Having to say goodbye to my little girl Sammie, so I understand how you are feeling. She was only 7.
Angel, was also only 12 yrs old. Feb 5th will be 3 yrs ago (already) that I said goodbye to him.
He was my first, & my soul kitty.
I lost both to 2 different cancers.
Its never easy, especially dealing with an illness.
You made the right call. Its never easy, but just knowing that you are freeing them from any more suffering helps, if only in a small way. Our hearts and minds will always miss them, but knowing that their suffering is over can later bring comfort.
Donte is with you in spirit, and in your heart forever. Im glad you kept one of the kittens.
He will help fill your heart again.
Take whatever time you need. It comes in waves, ... I know. Take care of yourself, & have comfort that he is there with you, watching over you.
Sending you love & hugs

R.I.P. sweet Dante :rbheart:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. What you guys said helped. It still hurts, and may hurt for a long time. I strongly believe in fate when it comes to cats. They always seem to know when there is a vacancy in a cat person's home; then the right cat for you shows up.
Ironically I was horrified to find out what a tough time black cats have to get adopted. I told myself I would adopt a black cat next time if the personality was good. Little Nick the 'failed' foster is black..... with a great personality!
Maybe in a few months or a year I will try to paint my beloved Dante. Or get lazy and print out a favorite picture of him on canvas. Right now it just hurts to much to look at pictures of him.
I'll see my baby cat on the other side.

That is what i tell myself, that one day i will meet with them in heaven, and that now he isn't suffering and is in peace with no pain. It is very hard i know, i look at pictures and videos of leo every day. But i know i will see him and all the people who passed away in heaven. Right now dante is in heaven watching over you, looking after you,his soul is with you and in you and he is being looked after by god and all the angels, all the animals and humans he / you knew and will begin to know. And the most important part of this that there is no suffering, no pain, no sadness. Just being free. :(

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, you did the right thing but I know it's so hard. I had to have my 17 year old pts in October and strangely, I was also fostering at the time, and while they certainly don't fill holes, kittens are a fun and welcome distraction. Now one of those kittens, her mother, and her auntie live with me forever :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today I opened up Dante's box of ashes to take a picture. I went to hang up his paw print and was so distracted by my grief I left Dante's box open. In the time it took me to put a push pin in the wall , a minute later I return across the room to the box and his ashes were missing. Jackie had pulled the bag of ashes out of the box, moved it 10 feet away and had his open mouth over the bow and was pawing at Dante's ashes. I scruffed him and pulled him off the ashes before he bit the bag open.
At the time I was holding my kitten and wanting to cry. I thought he was trying to play with the ashes. Hours later I wonder if it was the bow on the bag or if he could smell Dante's scent in the ashes?

I'm beginning to think for the rest of my life I will keep randomly bawling my eyes out because I miss my bud so much! Sometimes I feel guilty for loving my baby boy. I called Jackie bud the other day .... and though Jackie is a sweet boy .... ... in my head there is only one punk named bud .... and that is Dante. I'm working on finding Jackie a new nickname to call him affectionaly.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm beginning to think for the rest of my life I will keep randomly bawling my eyes out because I miss my bud so much!
Yeah, it happens. I think they stay in our hearts for way longer than they were ever here on earth with us. I hope you're able to remember some of the happy times with him, as well as think about how much you're missing him.

:grouphug2:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_1018.JPG
Oh I remember the happy times I remember his big bat ears as a wee kitten, his periscope tail circling the coffee table looking for trouble when he was a kitten/teen, how he followed me everywhere and was glued to my lap, how he was the punk that figured out he could torture his poor victim finches longer if he released them in my bedroom (then we hung the feeders higher) , how he let me put him in Halloween costumes for a couple of minutes if I gave him treats, how I taught both my boys to sit quietly for dinner .... and how he impatiently reminded me he was sitting by tapping my knee with his claw, when he got older he would lightly poke my but with his claw while I was sitting in the computer chair. Most of all I remember how he helped me get through the lowest point in my life when I was in excruciating constant pain. I remember even how when he was feeling ill (unknown to me) he still was Mr.Mom to 3 baby foster kittens .... and I think he passed the torch of punk to my kitten Jackie .... who was his favorite.
IMG_1544.JPG IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2602.JPG IMG_3136.JPG IMG_3763.JPG IMG_5285.JPG IMG_5294.JPG IMG_5364.JPG IMG_5641.JPG IMG_5719.JPG IMG_6427.JPG IMG_7486.JPG

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Dante sure favored my soul kitty Joey who passed at only 5 years old. Joey and Dante had that same personality! I am particularly fond of the photo of Joey when he escaped onto the roof - his "brother" JC (a Maine Coon who was a svelte 21 lbs. at maturity)was particularly adept at using wit and strength to open windows and punch out screens and other assorted mischief and Joey was quick to capitalize on choice opportunities. Joey left 12/19/2009 but my memories of him still carry that sharp pang of pain among the joys of recollection. IMGP0466_edited.JPG