To My Floridian Cat Site Friends - Hurricane Dorian

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like Hurricane Dorian will be a big one, as least from what the news says. I hope all of you (and your kitties) are staying safe and secure as Hurricane Dorian comes in. Wishing you all the best.:heartshape:

:hangin:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living on the Texas Gulf coast, I've survived a few hurricanes myself! Stock up on lots of water and cat food!

In fact I rescued a young Tortie on the aftermath of a hurricane. I think her owners evacuated and couldn't take her with them, and didn't decide to leave her in their house with lots of food and water. So they put her outside.

And I found her the day after the hurricane blew through.

Please! If you have outdoor only or indoor/outdoor cats, bring them in now, full time!

You never no where or when a cat will take shelter when the weather starts to get wind with rain!

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Batten down the hatches, stock up all you can, and stay safe my friends.
It looks like the Atlantic Coast is going to get the worst but once it moves inland it's hopefully going to lose strength quickly. Even if you're inland, don't take chances.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please! If you have outdoor only or indoor/outdoor cats, bring them in now, full time!

You never no where or when a cat will take shelter when the weather starts to get wind with rain!
Haha, my mom has one indoor-outdoor cat who desperately tries to get outside whenever it's stormy. I guess she doesn't trust humans to keep her safe! Good thing they don't live in a hurricane area.

Looks like a big one. Everybody be safe!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I reserved a hotel room in case we have to flee the area. It's pet friendly because there's absolutely no way I'd ever go without the girls. I've already gotten most things ready to go but I need to get stuff ready like their carriers, enclosed playpen, trays with blankets, travel litterbox etc but that's easy.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DreamerRose, 1 bruce1, Norachan, Thank you so much for thinking of my ferals! And of me, of course. :lol:

I work as a regional manager for a large property management company and have properties all over Florida in my portfolio. I'm proud to say that almost all of them have feral colonies on them. As much as I'd love to get all those cats inside it's just not possible--plus I think it would stress them out even more than the storm. All those properties have multiple cat houses on them where the cats can hunker down and ride out the storm. Maintenance built them with hurricanes in mind so they are firmly anchored to the ground.

Kat0121, I'm glad you've got evacuation plans in place. I'd be long gone but I need to be close so I can evaluate any damage to the local apartment complexes after the storm. I live in a high rise condominium in downtown Orlando and have floor-to-ceiling windows! It's really scary when hurricanes come through. I'm fortunate, though, because we have lots of places we can go if need be. Like you I've got Atticus, Thirteen and Bella Roma's stuff all packed up so if it turns really ugly we can get out quick. I think Sarthur2 Sarthur2 is in Florida too. Hopefully she/he is outside the cone of uncertainty.

Thanks again for thinking of us Floridians.

Everyone be safe!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m in St. Petersburg! It’s looking like we are safe this go round. I keep supplies on hand, and survived Irma two years ago just fine in my home - just no power for four days, tons of debris to clean up in the yard, and two baby squirrels to care for that were blown from their nest. I have seven cats plus two outside strays I feed, so I stay home. Plus I am not in an evacuation or flood zone. Thanks for thinking of me!