To my dear Nico...

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm posting this now, because I don't think I can write after this afternoon.

Nico has had a long, hard journey these past few years. From diabetes, to high blood pressure, to reoccurring UTIs, and finally severe IBD. This weekend, we noticed a change... It was like something shut off. Nico became severely despondent, hiding, refusing food, water, and bathroom breaks. He's not pulling through all the supportive care being offered - he has told us it's his time.

We've made the difficult decision to send him along the rainbow bridge this afternoon to be with his pal Sonny (6.7.17) whom he misses causing mischief with. Nico has had a good life - we rescued him barely hanging on to life, from a dumpster outside of a restaurant as a kitten to live a full and happy life with us. He showed us this gratitude each and every day with his trills, insanely loud purrs, and ultimate lap cat of love. He has fought long and hard the past two years, and now it's our turn to rescue him again.

To my Nico, my dear beautiful boy, there is so much I am going to miss. The way you loved toys that were bigger than your mouth, the way that you trill when you purr, your attempts at MEOWS that just come out Meh! - I will miss it all. But I know you're done suffering. You've told me it's your time. My heart is breaking and I don't want to let you go - but I love you to much to keep you hanging in limbo. I'll give you big hugs, and I'll cry like a little baby, but I'll be ok. I'll laugh when I think of you carrying around a dog toy, and cry when I miss you in my lap. I'll be thinking of you and Sonny both until I get a chance to see you again.
Love, Mom
20200821_163604.jpg Nico.jpg 20190614_223140.jpg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read this, and I do know how painful it is, but please know that you're doing what is best for Nico. He is ready to go and he told you he is. He's suffering and is asking for your help.
Your great heart is looking beyond your will to keep him with you, you're going to give him freedom, freedom from pain and suffering.

He has been grateful to you for rescuing him from that dumpster and giving him love for such a long time, and he'll be grateful to you for helping him now, in his last journey to a place filled with love and friends. Until you meet him and Sonny again.

RIP Nico, you'll always be remembered.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful letter to your sweet boy. You were so lucky to have found each other.

My heart breaks for you. Making the decision to let them go is one of the hardest things in the world. I'll be thinking of you today. :hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No matter how much we prepare our heart for that final goodbye, it is still shattered in a thousand pieces when it does happen......
Nico is so full of gratitude and love for you and the family you gave him, he will spend an eternity sending you his thanks and love. You saved him, and in return he saved you. He gave you so many happy moments to treasure in the years to come, and since love is spiritual, so eternal, he will always be tied to your soul. He will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. The love you have for him is as unique as a snowflake, no one else in the whole world will love him as you do. Please go forward into the future and seek life's happiness and even more love to add to his. Live it as you would want for him to go on, he wants no less.
It takes a long time to heal a broken heart, so give yourself plenty of time, take care of and be gentle to yourself. He lives on through you now and would be the first to let you know...."Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened". .....RIP precious Nico. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
No matter how much we prepare our heart for that final goodbye, it is still shattered in a thousand pieces when it does happen......
Nico is so full of gratitude and love for you and the family you gave him, he will spend an eternity sending you his thanks and love. You saved him, and in return he saved you. He gave you so many happy moments to treasure in the years to come, and since love is spiritual, so eternal, he will always be tied to your soul. He will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. The love you have for him is as unique as a snowflake, no one else in the whole world will love him as you do. Please go forward into the future and seek life's happiness and even more love to add to his. Live it as you would want for him to go on, he wants no less.
It takes a long time to heal a broken heart, so give yourself plenty of time, take care of and be gentle to yourself. He lives on through you now and would be the first to let you know...."Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened". .....RIP precious Nico. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
So beautifully put, thank you.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a rough day, but I wanted to do Nico justice. I've always dealt with things through poetry, so I've written him a proper poem.
I hope this helps articulate what we all go through when we lose a loved fur baby.

It's Time
It's time to let you go, and I can't stand the thought.
My hands clam up, the crying starts, and my stomach's in a knot.
I know you're spirits strong, but your body's become weak.
Your trills and purs, meows and talks, are barely but a squeak.
I hate this searing pain inside, a tug of war to say.
But in the end, to give you peace, I break down and say ok.
I have to let you go, despite my sunken heart.
To think of all the years we spent, none of them apart.
How will I move on? How will I get by?
Every time I think of you, I'm scared I'm going to cry.
I'm selfish in my tantrum, regardless you love me so.
Despite how much I'll miss you, I have to let you go.
So rest your weary head, close your eyes and sleep.
I send my love on your journey, and your memories I'll keep.
You'll frolic in the wild, catch birds, and run and play.
These dreams I hope you send to me, in my heart I'm sure they'll stay.
The pain is gone and the fight is done no worries left to give.
I'm happy we had so many years, they were wonderful to live.
And now my heart is breaking as I fall to pieces once more -
But I know in the end when my time comes, you'll be waiting at the door.
So hear me little chipmunk cheeks, I know it hurts me so -
But I love you more than life itself, so then I'll let you go.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know what you are going through right now. It is not fair, you’re right. There are no words that can take this pain away. What a beautiful boy Nico was. It is unbearable to not be able to hug and kiss your baby every day. Thank you for posting his adorable photos. I love his paws. Your poem made me cry so much. Please know I’m thinking of you and sending love to you during this difficult time. :redheartpump:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been a rough day, but I wanted to do Nico justice. I've always dealt with things through poetry, so I've written him a proper poem.
I hope this helps articulate what we all go through when we lose a loved fur baby.

It's Time
It's time to let you go, and I can't stand the thought.
My hands clam up, the crying starts, and my stomach's in a knot.
I know you're spirits strong, but your body's become weak.
Your trills and purs, meows and talks, are barely but a squeak.
I hate this searing pain inside, a tug of war to say.
But in the end, to give you peace, I break down and say ok.
I have to let you go, despite my sunken heart.
To think of all the years we spent, none of them apart.
How will I move on? How will I get by?
Every time I think of you, I'm scared I'm going to cry.
I'm selfish in my tantrum, regardless you love me so.
Despite how much I'll miss you, I have to let you go.
So rest your weary head, close your eyes and sleep.
I send my love on your journey, and your memories I'll keep.
You'll frolic in the wild, catch birds, and run and play.
These dreams I hope you send to me, in my heart I'm sure they'll stay.
The pain is gone and the fight is done no worries left to give.
I'm happy we had so many years, they were wonderful to live.
And now my heart is breaking as I fall to pieces once more -
But I know in the end when my time comes, you'll be waiting at the door.
So hear me little chipmunk cheeks, I know it hurts me so -
But I love you more than life itself, so then I'll let you go.

That was so well written and beautiful.
May I send it to my friend that just had to euthanize her cat. Its ok if not. It is just so well written and describes so well what it is like to experience the pain of having to do the right thing by them. If that makes any sense;

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Nico, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

The hardest thing we ever do is let a beloved pet go. But this I know, love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and contiues on. And now, from his new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he sends that Love back to you, to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

My father is also in That Place Where All Things Are Known, and where the cats are, he will be also. I'll ask him to make sure that Nico gets his share of "loves," until, in the fulness of time, you join him there.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was so well written and beautiful.
May I send it to my friend that just had to euthanize her cat. Its ok if not. It is just so well written and describes so well what it is like to experience the pain of having to do the right thing by them. If that makes any sense;
You certainly can, I hope it helps bring your friend some solice knowing there are others out here that love deeply also. ❤

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Even when it's the right choice, it's heartbreaking to those that are left behind. Nico was well-loved and I'm happy he found a home with people who cared enough to treat him, and could also say goodbye for his sake.