TNR or Shelter?

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I just want to second Nextdoor.

I get a lot of interest in Facebook groups from people in the biggest metro nearest me, but I feel infinitely safer with the folks who contact me on Nextdoor. I have a lot of success with kittens there.

Here is my advice as someone who works in rescue -

if you think there is any way you could foster, I would recommend contacting the humane society and any other no-kill rescue and requesting sponsorship.

Another way to put it, is volunteering to foster the kittens if the rescue can help with the rest.

The only thing rescues lack more than money, is fosters. A lot of rescues will turn you down if you’re just trying to get them to take the kittens, but if you say you’re willing to foster, then a lot of them will change their tune.

Generally, they’ll pay for food, litter, and possibly other supplies too. All vet care will be taken care of.

They may need you to bring the kittens to adoption events sometimes (Covid will probably impact this, though, so this may be easier for you than you think!), however, the rescue has a much bigger network and potential pool of adopters. They also (usually) know how to vet adopters, as well.

Another option would be to contact rescues and cast a wider net, not just local. Explain your situation, them. Ask if they would be willing to promote your kittens on Petfinder and their social medias.

With this option, all expenses still fall on you, and you’ll have to meet and vet interested parties.

But again, the advantage is that rescues have a much larger network to promote the kittens to, and they know how to do it effectively. Most rescues are willing to do this if you ask.

You’re doing a fantastic job!

A lot of people love kittens regardless of any markings, so don’t be discouraged.

Another tip - because kittens have big personalities no matter what, and this is frequently what sends people into “cuteness overload,” try to get as much video of them as you can. Video showing off their distinct personalities, and also videos of them doing generic adorable kitten things.

Keep the videos relatively short - just the good stuff. Then post the videos on any platform you promote them, and attach them to every email to a rescue (with photos that also display their personality/are super cute).

If you have the time and are willing to put in the effort, you can also teach them a trick or two with clicker training. You don’t need an actual clicker for this, the soft click of a pen is actually preferable for cats.

People go crazy for cats that do tricks. They won’t think twice about a dog high fiving, but they go bonkers and lose their damn minds when it’s a cat!

I try to always teach my fosters a few tricks and - if they tolerate it - leash train them. People don’t expect much from cats, so seeing things like this is a huge selling point!

Good luck! Don’t be afraid to ask questions or seek support, there are lots of users here who would love to help a kind soul like you!