TNR or Shelter?

Gemjas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I really need advice. For a few months now, there have been six cats in our backyard. It started with just one female cat. Then, she brought us one of her kittens. And then she had another litter and brought us another. Finally, we had enough and decided to TNR her, but we waited too long and she got pregnant again. When she had her third litter, she gave us three kittens. Since June, there have been six cats living in our backyard. The cats from the first two litters are grown now and we had them, along with their mother, spayed/neutered. We plan on letting them live out the rest of their lives in our backyard.

However, there's the issue with the new kittens. We actually found a home for one of them! Unfortunately, we only managed that because that particular kitten was pretty. The other two aren't that remarkable, so it's been very difficult trying to get them homes. We tried websites, Facebook, took an ad out, but no one wants them.

Now we're struggling with what to do. Our shelter here isn't a no-kill shelter, and I fear that no one will want to adopt/foster these kittens and they'll be killed. So, TNR would be best, right? But then that's five cats in our backyard. Our neighborhood consists of houses that are close together. The older cats are jumping the fence and getting into our neighbors' yards. We also own two dogs and a cat of our own. Our three pets are very friendly towards the cats, but having five cats to take care of outside and then three pets to take care of inside is just too much.

Currently, the two remaining kittens are in our bathroom while we figure out what to do with them. Should we TNR? Take them to a shelter? Or keep searching for homes? We're not a suitable foster home, hence why they're in the bathroom. Our dogs are friendly, but they'll likely play too rough with the kittens and hurt them.

I just don't know what to do at this point.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
First get them tnr'd. Dont want more litters and it would not be good for a brother and sis to mate. The kittens might be deformed. If you live in the us, join the next door app and some restaurants will let you post pics.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! What a dilemma. You should ask the shelter supervisor or the adoption counselor if they will give you notice of impending euth so that you can random them if it comes down to that. You can try cat-proofing the backyard fence to reduce the annoyance.factor. Bless you for being a responsible citizen and neighbor who is stopping the cycle of overpopulation. You rock! :clap: :cheerleader: :happycat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, don’t give up! Spay and neuter above all. I faced a similar dilemma. Keep contacting other rescue and foster groups. Never stop even as the kitties get older. I found homes for over 80! I was lost at first. I felt helpless at times and it took a lot of repeat calling, texting, emailing and searching for new avenues to try. With each wall I hit, I looked elsewhere. With each person I contacted, I asked if they knew of any others I could contact for help. In the beginning it was very slow going. I finally started finding like minded individuals and began making progress. An option that may not have occurred to you is a catio, garage or outbuilding. A catio can be connected to a window or door of your house if needed to allow for the kitties to be easily accessed and have a room to come inside for more human contact. Sometimes we have to be creative and think outside the normal way of caring for them but please, don’t give them up to a kill shelter. I don’t know where you live but if you must give them to a kill shelter, make sure you can reclaim them before euthanasia. Get it in WRITING! In my area you cannot reclaim if you are surrendering as a citizen. Only rescue groups can reclaim and even then, some kitties get lost in the system. You can also contact shelters and rescue groups outside your city, town, state for help. I got help from the state next to me. Many shelters and rescue groups may have fosters willing to House the kittens. Sometimes you just have to know what to ask for. If adoptions aren’t available, maybe a foster home is. Getting spays, neutered and immunizations done get you a step ahead when searching for help. If you can’t get all vetting done then offering to help can be a big plus and less on you than full vetting. I can tell that you have already invested your love! Bravo! I wish everyone cared as much! I am so glad you posted on TCS! Welcome! Everyone here will offer whatever information and moral support we have to share. We need more like you! If you are a cat guardian, you are a cat hero! Please explore the site and you will find that you are not alone in your efforts to save lives. There are lots of threads by other rescuers that may be helpful to you. Feral and rescued cats are all important and their lives count. Please do a google search on feral or stray rescue groups in your area. If you cannot find more resources then post back with what you find. Alley cat allies may be helpful. Next door is another. Best Friends may have an office near you too. Obviously your kittens are no longer ferals but they did start out that way. You have socialized them and you have me greatest admiration for all you are doing. Updates would be appreciated. :welcomesign::clap2::goldstar:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great person you are, thank you for helping the truly helpless.

Do you have a vet that can help you with the last two, or a barn cat program in your area? Have you checked with local farms to see if they can take them? Always ask each place if they know of another one you can turn to. The Human Society might have some numbers you can call, that is how I got some kittens adopted out a few years back. I had no intention of turning them in to the Humane Society, since they do euthanize, but they were able to put me in contact with rescuers. I also called various vets in my county and one of them put me in contact with a lady who took in cats and dogs.

Please keep us updated and we will do some more brainstorming for you- we do care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gemjas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme We actually tried the shelter first. I got confused because, on their page, it said #NoKill2020. I thought they'd achieved their no-kill status, but apparently it's just a goal of theirs. I found out when I went to fill the paperwork. They make you sign a form that says you will not ask after the surrendered pet ever again. So, I would have no way of knowing whether the kittens were euthanized.

Jcatbird Jcatbird
Wow, you found homes for over 80?? That’s remarkable! I could only hope to find homes for the two kittens we have now. Unfortunately, I live in a pretty rural area. The rescue groups I’ve contacted either never got back to us or they’re too far out. I live with my parents, who are not willing to take me across the state for two kittens. And that sucks because there is a cat sanctuary in the state. It would have been so perfect to just have that near us. But anyway, the woman who took one of the kittens is asking around—or, at least, she says she is. She’s the only person outside of myself that’s (maybe) searching for a solution for the kittens. The problem with getting more of a network, though, is that I have severe anxiety/agoraphobia. I’m trying my absolute best, but I struggle to even make a simple phone call. I also have no social contacts outside of my parents. So, I’m completely alone here. Do you know any tips/tricks for someone in my situation to get the word out? I tried making a profile on Adopt-a-pet, but no one has responded. I’ve tried other groups/services, but no one is responding to my e-mails. And when I finally got the courage to make a call, I got a machine that said they’d get back to me (they never did). It’s so frustrating!

It’s looking like we might have to release them back with their family in the backyard. I just don’t know about having five cats outside. It’s kind of overwhelming. I’m also concerned about them being unsocialized, I guess? When I first caught the kittens, I just picked them up and put them in a crate. They were in shock or something because they didn’t react until the crate was closed. Then, they were absolutely terrified of me. It took a few days for them to trust me. Now, they are the most loving, playful kittens! If I release them back with their family, would I ever be able to catch them again? What if I find a home for them while they’re released outside, but then I lose them? What if a neighbor takes it upon themselves to “fix” the issue and poison/call animal control? Those are my main concerns. I’ve never heard of a catio, though. That might be something we could do? They look so expensive, though. I depend on my parents financially, and I’m nearly certain they would rather dump the cats than spend $200-$500 on a catio.

Also, as I said to someone else, I can’t reclaim the kittens if I drop them at a shelter. I can’t even ask about them. If I decide to give them to a shelter, then that’s it. I will have no say in what happens to them. I don’t know where to even begin to look for another foster home. The groups in my area have been so, so unhelpful. When you contacted groups outside of your area, what happened?

And thank you for your kind words! It’s been so stressful, but I really love these kittens. They each have distinct personalities and I find that so fascinating because they were raised the same way. One is really, really shy, but loves to curl up in my arms. And the other is so rambunctious. I hear a crash in the bathroom every hour or so because he’s jumping on everything, haha.

I just want them to have a happy life. And they aren’t getting that stuck in my bathroom right now, that’s for sure. Our bathroom is small. It’s like a big cage. I feel so terrible that I’ve done this to them, but I truly thought getting them better homes wouldn’t be this hard.

jefferd18 jefferd18 I’ve never heard of a barn cat program, nor have I considered farms. I’ll look into that! The Acadiana (which is where I live) Humane Society does not euthanize, so I will try getting in contact with them again. I also never thought about contacting our vet! That’s be so awesome if they knew someone who fostered. Thank you for these suggestions!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you have a Nextdoor app/online access, you can post locally or determine the area you want the post to reach. It is minimal contact unless someone can help you or is interested. I don't think that I have ever directly spoken to anyone on Nextdoor; all communication has been within the site and animals have been rescued that way.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one on the right looks like it has some abysinnian, tonkinese or something in the bloodline! These kittens, if advertised with the right photos should find a home. They are absolutely gorgeous. The fur color and markings might get some attention and then the personality could help them find a love match. Hoping! The right home is important but the kitties may show which human they like and trust. I hope they get that option. Beautiful babies!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The one on the right looks like it has some abysinnian, tonkinese or something in the bloodline! These kittens, if advertised with the right photos should find a home. They are absolutely gorgeous. The fur color and markings might get some attention and then the personality could help them find a love match. Hoping! The right home is important but the kitties may show which human they like and trust. I hope they get that option. Beautiful babies!

I was thinking the same thing- those kittens are not plain-janes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gemjas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It honestly makes me happy that you guys don't think these kittens are plain. I personally find them adorable, especially because I know their personalities and its made them extra precious to me. But I was worried that others might not think so. Like, someone wanted the kitten on the right after just a few days. But my parents pointed out that the other two didn't have any unique markings or anything on them, and so I worried about the likelihood of finding them homes. I'm glad I found this website, because it's made me more hopeful that there are cat lovers out there who would appreciate them.

jefferd18 jefferd18 I don't want to inconvenience you, but if your vet knows anything that could help I'd really appreciate it!

fionasmom fionasmom I will try the app! Thank you for telling me about it!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It honestly makes me happy that you guys don't think these kittens are plain. I personally find them adorable, especially because I know their personalities and its made them extra precious to me. But I was worried that others might not think so. Like, someone wanted the kitten on the right after just a few days. But my parents pointed out that the other two didn't have any unique markings or anything on them, and so I worried about the likelihood of finding them homes. I'm glad I found this website, because it's made me more hopeful that there are cat lovers out there who would appreciate them.

jefferd18 jefferd18 I don't want to inconvenience you, but if your vet knows anything that could help I'd really appreciate it!

Ask questions like if they have a vet,thier number, will they be indoor/outdoor,get the kittens micro chipped, visit them at thier house, do they have other pets, how many live in the house

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know about him knowing anything but I am pretty darn sure he will take the kittens and place them in one of the five rescues he works with. You are not inconveniencing me at all.