Tiny tiny kitten

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I have a litter of 5. 4 are normal weight, decent sized kittens. They're 9 days old today. They're eating, healthy, and happy. Mom was a bottle baby, as was dad. This was a surprise accidental litter, after almost 3 years of no issues. Dad is a rescue I bottle fed. He was widly inbred. Previous owners had two cats that turned into 6 that turned into 8 that then turned into like 12. They were having kittens faster than they could get ride of. Dad was the last litter, we believe he comes from 4 or 5 generations of direct inbreeding. Vet said he shouldn't even be fertile, he didn't even have testicles drop until he was almost a year old and even then they are smaller than dimes.

He came to me at eight weeks old and weighed 380 grams. He was smaller than a coke can was tall when he sat next to it, I have photos. He was SO small. It took him almost 6 months to even weigh two pounds and now as a three year old adult, he maxed out at 4 pounds.

So this litter surprised me, my vet, my boyfriend, everyone. I do have homes lined up, they'll be spayed and neutered, chipped, and have a contract in place.

Anyways. One of the five is small. WILDLY small. I imagine if he was born in any other house that wasn't attentive like I've been, he'd probably be dead. My cat is essentially co-parenting with me.

I'm worried about him. He's maybe half the size of the rest. I'm worried he'll be like his dad, if he can't get neutered in my care, he's staying until he can. But caring for dad has always been hard. He gets skinny easier, sometimes doesn't groom himself well (he's LONG haired), he's overall weaker and more frail than the other adult cats. People come over and think he's a six month old kitten. He went to the vet many times as a kitten for things that wouldn't have been a huge deal for other cats his size, but because he was so small, he ended up needing extra care. He had an upset stomach once and crashed hard. A mild respiratory issue when he first came home, started to crash. He has a weak immune system and a small body mass.

I guess I'm worried this kitten will be like him, I'd feel bad sending him to a home that wants a healthy, active, kitten. I spent over $1200 on him in his first year, between meds, buying the right food, vet appointments, etc. I'd be willing to keep him, no questions asked. But should I try to help him can weight?

He's always feeding, with a full belly, warm, gets groomed lots, mom keeps him close under her armpit, away from his sibling as he sleeps, he fights HARD for his nipples. I have said "Woah." Many times as he's held his own before I can even intervene. He's got a very special place in my heart. He's small, kinda bug eyed, with HUGE opinions even at 9 days old. Any ideas? I'll update with his exact weight in a bit when it comes time for weight checks. Attached are a photo of him next to the two biggest of the litter.
20240320_123850.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The little one may just be a regular runt. I think you should carefully track weight of this one and compare it to its siblings growth rate over time. So long as it's gaining weight, it probably is okay. If you notice it's not gaining weight then it's would warrant a closer examination by a vet. Dad could have some sort of genetic condition that caused slow development and the kitten also has it or it could be some digestive issue with processing protein or it could be unrelated average runt. Really hard to know for sure.

Sidenote, Dad sounds like an extreme version of my girl. My girl is from multiple generations of a horder/outdoor colony with lots of close ratings. Her whole litter died in a heat wave right after she joined my household and she was barely over a pound at nearly 4 months old. I had to wait for her to be 9 months old due to multiple illnesses and her size to spay her. She was being mistaken as a kitten a few years back with a neurologist saying she'd grow into her eyes in a year, even though she was around 5 years old at the time. She typically is right around 7 pounds and she's now 9 years old (photos from this year below). She's also absolutely off her rocker and has all sorts of behavioral issues.

1000007174.jpg
1000007124.jpg

20231001_093552.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The little one may just be a regular runt. I think you should carefully track weight of this one and compare it to its siblings growth rate over time. So long as it's gaining weight, it probably is okay. If you notice it's not gaining weight then it's would warrant a closer examination by a vet. Dad could have some sort of genetic condition that caused slow development and the kitten also has it or it could be some digestive issue with processing protein or it could be unrelated average runt. Really hard to know for sure.

Sidenote, Dad sounds like an extreme version of my girl. My girl is from multiple generations of a horder/outdoor colony with lots of close ratings. Her whole litter died in a heat wave right after she joined my household and she was barely over a pound at nearly 4 months old. I had to wait for her to be 9 months old due to multiple illnesses and her size to spay her. She was being mistaken as a kitten a few years back with a neurologist saying she'd grow into her eyes in a year, even though she was around 5 years old at the time. She typically is right around 7 pounds and she's now 9 years old (photos from this year below). She's also absolutely off her rocker and has all sorts of behavioral issues.

View attachment 472717View attachment 472718
View attachment 472719
I got WILDLY lucky with my boy. He's SO sweet and tolerant and loves to be snuggled and wants to be held, but like held tight. He sleeps HARD on the bed so he gets rolled around in his sleep, still purring away. All four of my adult cats were bottle babies/rescues. The mom of the litter is the most "normal". She's independent and such. But the other three SCREAM if I'm out of sight for too long, except going to work or run errands. They know the front door. Shaggy (the dad) is a total love bug to anything that breathes. Cats, dogs, kids, you name it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he fights hard agnst his siblings, and manages to hold his own, it means he is sound in the base... Unsworen is best, but he should survive, although he will probably remain a smallish cat.

But as it bothers you, let him eat when littermates sleeps...

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten update (I'll probably do this frequently): looking like he might have some issues. I believe he's blind, his eyes are completely foggy, he was the first to open his eyes two days ago. He is ALL pupil, no iris, his eyes are also insanely large for his head. Looks like he's a keeper kitten.

No light reaction, his other siblings have one.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, inbreeding can be cruel, all my cats are extremely inbred, but all are spayed and neutered now. if his eyes are bulging too, he may have an infection going on, he really needs to see a vet. I have had cats with cloudy eyes recover, and i pray he will too. I am so sorry you are going through this, I woudl recommend putting him and his dad on DMG, an immune supplement. It really seems to help, it has with my cats. You can give it to birds so I'm sure there is a dose for kittens. I've only seen it online at Target, Walmart, and Amazon. All the luck.......

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry, inbreeding can be cruel, all my cats are extremely inbred, but all are spayed and neutered now. if his eyes are bulging too, he may have an infection going on, he really needs to see a vet. I have had cats with cloudy eyes recover, and i pray he will too. I am so sorry you are going through this, I woudl recommend putting him and his dad on DMG, an immune supplement. It really seems to help, it has with my cats. You can give it to birds so I'm sure there is a dose for kittens. I've only seen it online at Target, Walmart, and Amazon. All the luck.......
The bulging has been present since birth, I thought it was like how newborn babies can sometimes be sort of ugly then they get cute. Bulging is probably the wrong term, his eyes are just very large in comparison with his head. His eyes have no gunk or anything, just cloudy, like how an old dog or cat get those milky eyes. Im more concerned that they appear to be like all pupil. The other kittens have a normal pupil to iris ratio but he looks like he has no iris. I'll have to see what vet can see me. I'll have to go out of my hometown, as everyone in this town is wildly overpriced (like almost $400 for a neuter, plus a $100 office visit before they'll neuter), so just getting in somewhere here would be a minimum of $100.

They're big, his head is small, his kinda wicked ugly. I mean, he's cute, but he's also.. funny looking? Everybody looks like a happy, cute little kitten. He looks similar to a baby rabbit, which I used to breed. I'll check out the DMG and see where I can find it/dosing for tiny kittens.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I bet he is still cute! I understand about high bills, it can really add up. If he has something that can be fixed it would be better to get it sooner. The dilated pupils are a worry, maybe the 'catarats' covering his eyes could cause enlarged pupils? I don't know, poor little mite........

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I bet he is still cute! I understand about high bills, it can really add up. If he has something that can be fixed it would be better to get it sooner. The dilated pupils are a worry, maybe the 'catarats' covering his eyes could cause enlarged pupils? I don't know, poor little mite........
Yeah, I'm calling around, because I want someone familiar with young kittens. We shall see what we find, I'll update the thread in a bit.

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some terrible quality photos of Susuwatari (that's his name, they all got studio ghibli names). He moves around like he's lost, so he's always tilting his head. He also appears to have a small underbite. His third eyelid is out all the time, left a voice-mail for the vet I use about two hours away, but I'm calling around to see if any vet finds this familiar.
The top photo you can see his eyes stick out past his skull, but when I gently pet his face, you can feel the bone, so his skull seems to be what's sticking out vs his actual eyeball. Thought I'd share some photos of the goofy looking guy.
20240322_115557.jpg
20240322_115049.jpg

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten update: appointment has been made for the ophthalmologist, but they want to wait until he's about 4 weeks old or so, so he can make the drive solo instead of uprooting the whole litter.

Wish us luck, $500 appointment.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I took in a litter of feral kittens over 12 years ago and one of them looked a little similar to your tiny guy. She had an overbite and her jaw was also slightly misaligned. She only had a short tail, you could feel that all the bones that were supposed to be in her tail were there but they were all twisted and fused together. She was also much smaller than all of her siblings and only weighed around 7lbs at her heaviest. But she lived a happy life and only passed away recently.

I hope your little Susuwatari does well too. Funny you picked that name for him, a couple of people said that our Carpet looked a bit like Makkoro Kurosuke. Just a tiny little soot ball on legs.

Carpet1.jpg

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To me it seems like his eyes are bulging because he's very underweight. Basically, you're seeing the shape of his skull. He looks exactly like a kitten I fostered a couple of years ago.
Screenshot_20240323_080714_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To me it seems like his eyes are bulging because he's very underweight. Basically, you're seeing the shape of his skull. He looks exactly like a kitten I fostered a couple of years ago.
View attachment 472836
I got the stuff to do supplemental feedings, I check these guys every few hours and he's ALWAYS eating, always a full belly. I wonder what's causing him to not absorb nutrients like his siblings. I emailed better quality photos to the ophthalmologist and they opened a file for him. I guess we'll see what his weight is like and developments after a few days of supplemental feedings does.

I feel bad! I feel like I somehow am failing him.

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a litter of feral kittens over 12 years ago and one of them looked a little similar to your tiny guy. She had an overbite and her jaw was also slightly misaligned. She only had a short tail, you could feel that all the bones that were supposed to be in her tail were there but they were all twisted and fused together. She was also much smaller than all of her siblings and only weighed around 7lbs at her heaviest. But she lived a happy life and only passed away recently.

I hope your little Susuwatari does well too. Funny you picked that name for him, a couple of people said that our Carpet looked a bit like Makkoro Kurosuke. Just a tiny little soot ball on legs.

View attachment 472829
Well, when they all popped out black and fluffy, I knew one had to be a soot sprite. So, I have Susuwatari, Ponyo, Jiji, Howl, and Catbus! The other four are so FAT and fluffy and squirmy. Then there's my little soot sprite. He's so sweet too, gets confused easy, but he hangs out. Me-Mow kinda pawns him off on me, but I think she trusts me with all her kittens. She's a good mom! She spends all her day nursing until I show up, then she leaves the babies with me and does whatever for about an hour then comes back. I'm glad to help out wherever I can.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got the stuff to do supplemental feedings, I check these guys every few hours and he's ALWAYS eating, always a full belly. I wonder what's causing him to not absorb nutrients like his siblings. I emailed better quality photos to the ophthalmologist and they opened a file for him. I guess we'll see what his weight is like and developments after a few days of supplemental feedings does.

I feel bad! I feel like I somehow am failing him.
You're clearly going above and beyond for him. He's lucky to have you!

My guess is he inherited a birth defect from his dad, in which case there's only so much you can do. Have you talked to your vet about your concerns? (Apart from the possible eye issues)

Will dad be getting neutered?

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're clearly going above and beyond for him. He's lucky to have you!

My guess is he inherited a birth defect from his dad, in which case there's only so much you can do. Have you talked to your vet about your concerns? (Apart from the possible eye issues)

Will dad be getting neutered?
Yes to both! Found a place that does it at a decent price although far from me. Though it's long overdue, even if I was told he wasn't fertile. Maybe there was an eclipse or the stars aligned or SOMETHING. I'm shocked after 3 years. Anyways, Susu has an appointment so does Shaggy, hoping Susu does good and has a halfway decent life. All the kittens have spay/neuter appointments, will be dewormed, will be chipped, and are raised with LOTS of socialization (using puppy culture to the best it can apply to kittens), and have a kitten contract like most breeders, even if this was a fluke litter. I'll likely keep Susu, as I don't want anyone to take him on and not be able to keep up his care, depending on what that is. It's not fair to someone who just wants a happy, easy kitten. He'll likely be expensive his whole life. It's my job to make sure he gets the quality care he needs. He warn born in my hands (literally), he'll die in my hands (hopefully in a dozen or more years from now).

sknnedwlf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No crazy updates atm. Just Susu taking a snooze after a feeding. He used to cry like crazy when he'd be away from his siblings but now he sleeps in my hands after I burp him. He enjoys most of his time with me, I think he's starting to recognize me, maybe by smell. His siblings are starting to get very curious about their surroundings and movement and light and he's just.. oblivious. I try to not startle him, I pet him gently, wait for him to acknowledge that I touched him, and then pick him up. He's gotten used to me faster in the last day since I started implementing that. He doesn't struggle and wiggle like before, he's much more normal kitten in his behavior when I do that. I think it helps him know what's happening/what time it is (feeding/eye check/weighing).
20240324_153946.jpg