tiki canned foods

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just cant figure it out what is it about the smell that graycies hates. today i tried feeding her the tuna one . its not dark meat tuna looks like tuna right out of a can i would use for tuna sandwhiches and i know she will eat can tuna in water fed her bits as a treat before when i am making my own sandwhiches.i am guessing its somthing added to preserve the food? she gets one sniff and walks away

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats warmed up to Tiki after awhile, but for a bit Jasper would sniff and walk away. I think after he figured out THAT was his food, he caved and started eating. Now he seems to really like it and I started mixing some of the tiki dry food in with it.

Maybe try adding bone broth and see if that helps?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it the tuna with pumpkin - or the other tuna versions that contain sunflower seed oil, which is actually the second ingredient in the food? She may not like the oil - or, in the case of the Aloha tuna, maybe she doesn't like pumpkin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good question i dont remember checking for that i just noticed any tiki canned food she doesnt like the smell will look next trip to petsmart

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. But my Krista adored the Tiki Cat Grill Ahi Tuna. She also loved the Aloha Tuna with Pumpkin. These got her through pancreatitis when she didn't want to eat any other food. I still often had to dress these up with treats, usually bonito tuna flakes, to get her to eat enough though. She must have been miserable to refuse tuna. I would later give her the Grill Ahi Tuna again after her remaining teeth were extracted (after a year and a half of piecemeal extractions for tooth resorption) mixed with the Rawz rabbit she was refusing before the procedure. She got to eat this a few weeks while her mouth healed up. Then I phased out the tuna until she was eating just the rabbit again. Tuna was inflammatory to her. I know that now. But I'm very grateful for Tiki Cat's clean recipes. They helped us through some rough patches when I couldn't find other acceptable foods for her IBD.

I don't know that Petsmart carries them. But you may want to look for Tiki Cat Raw. Krista seemed to like the turkey flavor well enough. I don't remember why we didn't stick with it. Probably her teeth. Maybe the bone content wasn't agreeing with her.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the chicken varieties? My Cats don't like fish as a general rule but they love the chicken.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Tiki has been completely hit and miss with my cats, including the ferals outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just gonna have to keep trying a can or two each month i just want her to be ok eating tiki food also is all

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try the Tiki Cat After Dark? I couldn't feed Krista chicken because of her IBD. But if you don't have the same restrictions, I recommend the chicken flavors and the After Dark line more than the fish flavors.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have two cats, and neither of them will touch anything with the name Tiki on it. Not the After Dark line, which everyone here seems to rave about, not the Mousse, which I thought for sure at least one would like, not the regular line, poultry of any kind, fish of any kind, doesn't matter. But then again, my guys don't like Weruva either :sigh: