Tiberius is sick :(

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiberius tested negative for ringworm! Woot woot! It has taken 8 months and most of my sanity but finally some improvement!

I'm ecstatic

To combat the vomiting when it gets bad I give him 1/4 tablet of pepcid which does the trick. He gets about 1.5ml of imodium daily to keep the diarrhea in check, and when he stops eating he gets 1ml of appetite stimulant.

Every other day he gets a probiotic and dasaquin for his joints. Soon he will try another steroid for the ibd. Haha I feel like he gets a literal pharmacy of meds but it's feeling more manageabile and he can sleep with me now!

He eats only wet food food nowadays. The novel protein lid thing didn't seem to help more than anything else so he mostly eats a combo of Friskies pate. He seems to be feeling better too.

He will likely continue to get weekly bathes as he starts to smell really bad with the diarrhea and doesn't excel at grooming.
That is a wonderful update, I hope you can find something to address his IBD. How awesome is it that he can sleep with you. I know I don't nearly sleep as well when Midi is not with me 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long overdue update!

Tiberius is overall doing pretty well! He's even getting a bit plump! I'm actually trying to get him to lose a little weight. Which is difficult with him being a steriod starving hunger kitty!
20170106_111236_001.jpg
As far as management of his disease he is taking 5mg prednisolone daily, 25mg of modified cyclosporine every other day, probiotics every other day, vitamin b12 injections weekly, and we are on a food trial with prescription rabbit and pea food. When this is no longer able to manage him, which with the severity of his disease I suspect is only a matter of time, I'm going to try home cooking really new stuff like alligator and chlorambucil chemo pills. I would love to hear about anyone's experience with using chlorambucil for an IBD/lymphoma kitty!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a beautiful guy, he is so lucky to have you take such good care of him. Did I understand you last post properly, does he have lymphoma? Do you have a list of proteins that causes him a flare up? If you haven't tried a commercial frozen raw diet I would consider it; Stella and Chewy's has a number of different types (Rabbit, Chicken, Duck & Goose) Please let us know how this special little guy is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! He is definitely a cutie! :]

I don't know that he has lymphoma, but I suspect if he doesn't currently his IBD will eventually develop into lymphoma as it is very severe. I haven't had him biopsied but I can't really rationalize it as it wouldn't change his treatment plan really.

I don't honestly know that he has is allergic to any food as diet seems to make little to no difference but I'm giving it a shot anyways. I know some people have really positive feelings about raw diets but I don't think I could get over the gross factor.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember your story correctly you adopted this beautiful boy and immediately started trying to get him well. You have had a long, and I'm sure expensive journey with Tiberius that many wouldn't have traveled. You are his hero and you've done so much and given him an outstanding home! I just wanted to say that you are a great cat guardian and I'm happy to see him look so good! :grouphug2: :rock:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a handsome kitty!
I wouldn't worry about weight loss at all. He's not obese or anything like that.

Chlorambucil is very well tolerated, I could see no signs that I had even given it!
My vet believes that IBD turned lymphoma is mostly when the IBD never really gets under control. At least from her experiences with it.