Tiberius is sick :(

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very upsetting news. I am asking @catwoman707  to chime in I am hoping she can provide some guidance re options re his diarrhea. I hope you can figure out what is going on.  Maybe you can post a summary of the tests that were done on him and the results. Posting pictures of the results might prove useful.  What type of fecal test was done, it sounds like a nasty parasite of some sort

He is such a beautiful boy sending you healing thoughts.

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is better than before, right? Does he enjoy the medications?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is a beautiful wonderful cat but I feel like he's dying. You can feel every bone along his spine and hips even though he's been eating normally. It seems like uncontrollable IBD or cancer but I can't confirm the diagnosis without a biopsy.

All his tests have come out completely normal, I don't actually have the results as I wasn't given the paperwork but I'll ask when we go in next.

He is way worse now then when I got him. Initially he had very minor diarrhea even mostly solid stool and he didn't vomit very often. He hates being medicated which I've shoved meds down his throat nearly every night. I feel like I'm torturing him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll pray for you both. As for the medications, try wrapping them in cheese or get some Pill pockets, break off a small piece and cement the med to a dry treat. If they are large, ask the vet if you can break them open into a small amount of tuna juice to hide the smell. My heart breaks for you, thank you for helping him and giving him your love.  

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to send my prayers and support for you and Tiberius. You have been such a wonderful pet parent. I know you have tried so many things to get him better. Stay strong you have a lot of people pulling for you guys.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
So sorry that things are not going well. Sending prayers and hugs. I haven't read back far enough but does he like babyfood? I wish we could help fix him. I thank you for giving him a loving home. I know you have gone above and beyond and we all have your back with whatever you decide. Sending more hugs

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sooo sorry to hear this. 

This is horrible news, and it frustrates me so much when our animals are deterioating and we do not know what it is, exactly.

I must ask, as a last hope, can you possibly try a homemade diet?

At this point, you may have nothing to lose, and you may be surprised.

I will be praying hard for you and your kitty. :(

Cleo is doing okay.

I put her on a home-made diet, and it's been about a week.

She hasn't gotten worse, and she hasn't gotten better.

We still do not know what is wrong with her, either.

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After reading your last post, I suggest a home-made diet, asap.

If there is truly nothing to lose, then buy EZcomplete and some meat, and then feed it to him and see how he is.

I heard sometimes that raw is the best, and you can also do Alnutrin, but then it would have to be raw, and you would need liver too.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for asking, it means a lot.

Tiberius is not doing well. He now has pure liquid diarrhea 6 times a day and vomits a couple of times a week.

I will be placing him in ronidazole soon to see if it helps. The vet recommended another blood test which I'll do after we try the new med.

If we can't find it what's wrong with him and he doesn't get better I'm seriously considering putting him to sleep. His condition just seems to be deteriorating. I don't have unlimited resources.

I've had him about 6 months now. He may even still have ringworm. I'm sad and burnt out.
Okay it's been some time since I have been here, I have read the last couple pages of posts, but this post of yours I am quoting above sounds like you need to catch a second win, renew hope.

I do want to comment on his wardrobe, oh my gosh, you're killing me with these pics! That olive green......makes me want to hug and maul him, and his expression, if only he knew how much we enjoyed it!! 

Glad the metronidazole was discontinued. I wouldn't see that as helping him out much, if he were one of my rescues, I would first try ponazuril, my number 1 go-to for possible parasites, which can hide and not show in a fecal float easily.

There are still many vets who are not on board with it yet, it is made from Marquis paste for horses, then diluted with water a bit it is called ponazuril, and is excellent/amazing for a variety of parasites.

I would dilute the paste 50/50, and give him one dose a day for 5 days. 

If that did not work then it would be ronidazole next. 

One of the 2 would do the job, what ponazuril won't get rid of, ronidazole will. Always, unless it is not parasitic at all.

I would feed him a simple, single protein, grain free food, limited ingredient.

NOTHING else.

Vomiting tells us, he either has an irritant now, or is taking in the irritant still.

Meaning existing parasitic invasion or a reaction to something in his diet.

Sometimes, despite having our regular vet who we like, etc. there comes a point that we need a second opinion, simply because a new vet will have new ideas and input, and also use other meds like ponazuril too.

It is certainly not his time, I do NOT suspect cancer, I just don't. Which means to not give up hope, trust that I know all too well about how exhausting it is to have endless diarrhea to clean, so much money and tests, and seems like you are getting nowhere.

It's been going on so long now......

The right med or change will be like striking gold, it just hasn't been tried yet. When it comes, it will make him well, and this period will fade away making it all well worth the stress and effort from you.

Terbinafine is what I use for ringworm btw! 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with everything @catwoman707  has stated. There aren't many people who have more experience than her. It might be time to get a new vet; if you do, get copies of all tests and results. I also don't think it is cancer. Please know that you have a lot of people here supporting you and Tiberius. I think with the right advice and vet you can help him beat this. Please keep us informed, we want to help, he is a special boy !

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your support, I really needed that. You guys gave me some really good advice. I really do need a little good news with him, he's been a sick baby since I brought him home. I couldn't imagine a sweeter, prettier kitty though so if there's hope I'm willing to try. 

I just need him to get better.

I will switch his food again. He won't eat chicken or any meat I cook, I've already tried. He won't eat treats either so that rules out pill pockets and homemade/raw foods. He turns his cute little pink nose up at baby food too. He's kind of a weirdo lol. He does however like wet food a lot, so I guess that is my next step? A single novel protein wet food? Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something I can get at Petsmart? 

@catwoman707  That's good to know about the ponazuril! I am going to try the ronidazole next as my vet already said she would prescribe it but ponazuril will be the next med I try. I'm pretty confident she'll prescribe the ponazuril if I ask, but if not then I will find a new vet. The rescue I volunteer at which is amazing (and not where I got Tiberius haha) is owned by a vet so I already have one picked out.

EDIT: 

I'm looking at food options online now to see what I should buy. These seems to fit the criteria, any advice? Do I have more possibly less expensive options? Also how much wet food should I feed him a day? Last time he was weighed he was 11 pounds.

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/bl...-catid-200004?var_id=36-29494&_t=pfm=category

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/na...36-catid-200004?var_id=36-30411#RatingsDetail

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you everyone for your support, I really needed that. You guys gave me some really good advice. I really do need a little good news with him, he's been a sick baby since I brought him home. I couldn't imagine a sweeter, prettier kitty though so if there's hope I'm willing to try. 

I just need him to get better.

I will switch his food again. He won't eat chicken or any meat I cook, I've already tried. He won't eat treats either so that rules out pill pockets and homemade/raw foods. He turns his cute little pink nose up at baby food too. He's kind of a weirdo lol. He does however like wet food a lot, so I guess that is my next step? A single novel protein wet food? Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something I can get at Petsmart? 

@catwoman707  That's good to know about the ponazuril! I am going to try the ronidazole next as my vet already said she would prescribe it but ponazuril will be the next med I try. I'm pretty confident she'll prescribe the ponazuril if I ask, but if not then I will find a new vet. The rescue I volunteer at which is amazing (and not where I got Tiberius haha) is owned by a vet so I already have one picked out.

EDIT: 

I'm looking at food options online now to see what I should buy. These seems to fit the criteria, any advice? Do I have more possibly less expensive options? Also how much wet food should I feed him a day? Last time he was weighed he was 11 pounds.

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/bl...-catid-200004?var_id=36-29494&_t=pfm=category

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/na...36-catid-200004?var_id=36-30411#RatingsDetail
I really like Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient food, It is a little more expensive but if it helps it will save you on vet bills 

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/na...-catid-200004?var_id=36-36259&_t=pfm=category

the regular rabbit and duck are good too

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/na...-catid-200004?var_id=36-36258&_t=pfm=category 

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/food/na..._id=36-36246&_t=pfm=category&pfmvalue=faceted

I am glad you are not giving up on the sweet boy. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as limited ingredient diets go, natural balance, blue buffalo and nature's variety instinct I believe are the only ones available.

If I could afford to AND get my cats to eat it, nv would likely be my choice also, however due to him being a picky eater as my girls are, I would not order it, but pick up a can of each and see if he will even eat it.

Mine would not, and my Krissy has IBD so she is sensitive to anything with fish or chicken, so the only thing I found that they will eat is fancy feast classics, the turkey/olive green can, and the chunky turkey/teal can, so that is what they get daily.

Krissy loves dry too so I give her 1/4 cup of blue buffalo limited ingredient turkey dry.

What is his current food, and what has it been since you have had him?

His pics are darling, he looks like quite a character too :)

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merrick also makes LID canned foods: our cats love their duck and turkey. Though when I went to look for the link (here's the turkey food) I noticed they now put pea protein in the food. Personally, I'd probably look to avoid peas and potatoes in his food if at all possible since those, particularly potato, can make some cats (like one of ours) vomit. Of course some cats, like (I think I'm remembering this correctly!) @catwoman707's Krissy improve on foods that contain potato! IBD is all very individual and tricky because so many things can cause problems -- a food diary and lots of monitoring and memory can be really important to finding patterns and figuring out what ingredients to eliminate. It was dumb luck (and a mistake) that helped us figure out Edwina can't eat potato.

FWIW, Tiberius's good blood tests make me think, too, that he doesn't have cancer: in our previous cat's case, it was a horrible white blood cell count that made the vet suspect cancer. (We also never had a biopsy, though the vet could feel a mass: our cat was too old and frail for invasive tests.)

I know how worn out you must be, kristenann, since we've gone through this, too. It's very, very hard. I hope you're able to find something good to feed Tiberius!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiberius is such a handsome guy.  I hope you find something in the recent posts to help.

I know you're switching to a singe ingredient diet, but have you tried adding a little pumpkin (spice free) to his diet.  It works like a probiotic and helps diarrhea and constipation.  Something to keep in mind for down the road.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!

Sorry cat woman707 I missed that, he is currently eating prescription royal canin hp.