Tiberius is sick :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Tiberius has been shaved. His ringworm is much worse than I thought, it was hard to see with all his fluff, but he has a lot all over of his body. He looks kind of ridiculous and he is having a really hard time with the cold. I made him a blanket fort and he spends most of his time in there now. I got him a couple sweaters which seems to be helping too. He actually seems to like wearing them, and he's so ridiculously adorable in them, I'll be sure to post pictures when I can get some good ones. I can't really turn the heat up either, so I feel so bad. This poor baby is having such a hard time. My boyfriend purchased a space heater for him, which we can't afford to run all the time but I'm going to use it to heat up the bathroom when he needs to be bathed to make that easier. 

It's back to the crazy cleaning again, I've spent so much money on laundry. He is to be bathed twice a week in shampoo that is 2% chlorhexidine, 1% ketoconazole, and .05% phytosphingosine and then wiped with wipes with the same active ingredients on non-bathing days. I guess I'm thrilled to be done with the lime sulfur, that stuff was quite unpleasant. In a month or so if he's not better than he'll go on meds for it but considering he's had an adverse reaction to like everything he's been put on I suppose it's better to try not to, even if it means more work for me. He's off the pred now because it can make it harder for him to get over ringworm and they didn't seem to be helping anymore anyways.  Apparently, the fact that the pred was working well, then stopped working is a really bad sign and is suggestive of more than IBD being wrong with him, like cancer. I'm thinking we're in the classic lymphoma/IBD debate and on the losing end.

My mom is immunosuppressed, and she was planning on visiting in a couple weeks (she lives a couple hours away) but I don't know if I should tell her not to? I haven't seen her in months though and I miss her so that makes me sad, and with everything going on with Tiberius I don't feel like I can leave him alone to go see her either. I have friends who can drop in on him, but they can't do more than feed him and they are reluctant to touch him with the ringworm - can't say I blame them.

I bought the Blue Buffalo LID food and showed the vet and she said to stay on the WD for awhile longer. They even gave me a couple cans for him, which was so sweet because I can't really afford to buy them for him. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem super interested in eating them though. She's been so helpful and supportive that I feel like I have to listen to her, and I was researching IBD and her advice seems to align with the guidelines although I've seen a lot about novel proteins too. 

He weighed 10.8 lbs after the shave-down so that made me happy, and his body type looks pretty normal now too. He's eating OKAY, not as much as I would like but enough. I was told as long as he eats at least 1/2 cup a day he can stay off appetite stimulants, but if he doesn't then its time to put him on them and he can stay on them as long as need be.

I'm feeling so sad about Tiberius, I love my little baby so much but I've come to the realization that I don't know if I can fix him. I'm going to follow their advice as best as I can, and try to make Tiberius as happy as I can but he may have something that I just can't cure. The next step they said is x-rays and ultrasounds but I can't really afford them and I don't know if there's any point. They'll either confirm there is something gravely wrong, which I cannot cure, or he'll still be afflicted with something we cannot identify that is plaguing him. 

I haven't given up hope, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds familiar to me, the strain of ringworm we dealt with a few months back at the shelter was like this, at the skin level and randomly all over their bodies. Not being localized does require bathing.

I hear ya on the lime/sulfer dip, pew....

It will take time but is not life threatening.

As far as the IBD/lymphoma, if anything needed, I would get the ultrasound if possible.

Although it takes an actual biopsy to diagnose lymphoma for certain, which many opt out of having done including myself, the person performing the ultrasound is able to at least say whether they suspect lymphoma or doubt it. Mine did and showed doubtful.

If your vet feels like there is a good chance he has lymphoma now, she can start him on leukeran. 

Did you know that this lymphoma is basically the one type of cancer that can be treated? It responds very well to leukeran.

Might want to chat with the vet about this. Maybe not time yet though, but she will be able to give you more insight on what she suspects.

But that is one way to keep the costs down.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's him rocking his new red polo! He's wearing a grey fleece now that I'll try to snap some pictures of as well. I only have 3 outfits for him, and he freezes when he doesn't wear them so do you think it's okay if I leave each on him for a couple days? And obviously put a clean one on him after bathes?

Yep catwoman707, it sounds exactly like that! We're calling it his chicken pox's lol. What do you guys use to treat it?

You're right, the ringworm doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest. He's not itchy or anything, it's giving me serious anxiety though haha.

I sincerely wish I could, but I can't really afford an ultrasound and even if I could swing the $400-500 to get it done, I can't afford the treatment. I've been reading other people's threads on here about Leukeran, it is just out of reach for me. It seems that the companies keep jumping the prices up, and there's not way I can keep up, I've been barely scraping by the means to get him this far, I've just been determined to do so if it means he can get better and I know my family wouldn't support me in treating cancer.

We had a dog with cancer once and preformed the surgery to remove the tumor, and it was awful. The tumors came back and the poor dog looked miserable, I know it's not that same but they're still really scared from that.

I'm so glad that your baby is okay :] she is so lucky to have you!

Last edited:

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I decided to email the rescue from where I got Tiberius and ask for assistance in his medical care. They work with some vet clinics so I'm hoping maybe they can get me an ultrasound or an x-ray for him. 

When I adopted him I signed a contract stating health isn't guaranteed so I guess this is a long shot, but I'm getting desperate.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So I decided to email the rescue from where I got Tiberius and ask for assistance in his medical care. They work with some vet clinics so I'm hoping maybe they can get me an ultrasound or an x-ray for him. 

When I adopted him I signed a contract stating health isn't guaranteed so I guess this is a long shot, but I'm getting desperate.
I have a non profit cat rescue group myself, and have on several occasions had the adopted cat seen under my rescue so at a greatly reduced cost.

Of course if a cat has issues shortly after adopting I just cover the cost, but in your case it's well worth asking for help in any way they can, using their vets will definitely save alot of money.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707  That is fantastic that you do that, you're so good with/for kitties! 

How does that normally work, do you allow the new pet parents to bring them to the clinics or do you take them in your self?

I figure they will probably say no, but at this point it can't hurt to ask. He was obviously unhealthy when I got him, he was very underweight I just thought he needed love and time. Even the volunteers commented on his skinniness and his tail had been shaved/trimmed prior to being adopted as well too. I'm suspecting this was because he has a tendency of getting diarrhea on it and this was there way of dealing with it.

They are on the other side of the state, but I would make the drive for reduced/free vet care, gas would definitely be cheaper than an ultrasound. 

Last edited by a moderator:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@catwoman707  That is fantastic that you do that, you're so good with/for kitties! 

How does that normally work, do you allow the new pet parents to bring them to the clinics or do you take them in your self?

I figure they will probably say no, but at this point it can't hurt to ask. He was obviously unhealthy when I got him, he was very underweight I just thought he needed love and time. Even the volunteers commented on his skinniness and his tail had been shaved/trimmed prior to being adopted as well too. I'm suspecting this was because he has a tendency of getting diarrhea on it and this was there way of dealing with it.

They are on the other side of the state, but I would make the drive for reduced/free vet care and it's cheaper then gas!
It can be either way usually, I just let the vet know that he was adopted recently and has some issue, whatever that might be, so she knows it will be billed under my rescue and gives the person my reduced cost, or if it should be paid for by me then I let them know this too.

I bet they would be willing to get him seen under their rescue's discount, that will be helpful though!

I don't remember how long ago he was adopted.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Being seen under the rescue's discount would be fantastic! How much off do rescues typically get? 

I would be beyond thrilled if they would cover an ultrasound, but even just aid in beating the ringworm would be substantial at this point. 

I adopted him December 9th, so I'm hoping it hasn't been too long. I've been hesitant to contact them because people have left reviews saying that they adopted kitties with ringworm and URI's and the rescue wouldn't do anything about it or help cover the costs. The only option given to them was to return the cats and forfeit the adoption fee's. So I wasn't feeling especially hopeful, but I figured the worst they can say is NO.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still haven't heard back from the rescue, I'm not surprised it hasn't been very long. Although, I suppose I wouldn't be shocked if I never did.

Tiberius seems to be doing really well, he's eating a decent amount. He has been having solid stools and no vomiting. He sleeps almost all of the time though, but that could just be his personality I suppose? I just keep finding myself hoping that maybe he's better and he'll be okay.

When his belly was so swollen I was so sure I was going to lose him, I still haven't really recovered from the fright. This has just been so stressful. Some days I feel like everything is going to get better with him, and other days I feel like he's dying. I don't really know what to look for. Today is my birthday so I asked my family for money to help with Tiberius's bills, it's not enough to do an ultrasound, but it's enough to keep me out of the hole with him for a little while longer. Thank you everyone for the continual support!

Just a quick ringworm question - I've been giving him the bathes and wiping him down with the wipes and it seems to going okay but his lesions are turning blackish? Is this a normal part of the healing process? They almost look like dark scabs now?

Here's another cute picture of him cuddling with my foot:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the sweater.

Rescues are run by volunteers who hold down regular jobs.  Sometimes it takes a couple of days to hear back.

Happy Birthday! 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Birthday it is   @Donutte's birthday too along with my sister's . He is so cute, I love the sweater. You are taking such amazing care of him.    

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's just so darn cute/handsome!!

Yes, that will happen, the scabbies turn dark as they dry up.

This is true, however some rescues need to be bugged a few times.

Just let them know that you have been dealing with issues since adopting, and you would like to ask for help, at least get him seen by the vet they use.

Minimum discount is 25% off, but I do have another couple who are dirt cheap for my group, I refuse to allow one to retire he is such a life saver, like removing a kitten's eye or a cat's limb for $100.? Dental, full mouth extraction for stomatitis for $100.? I won't give him up, ever!  

So it really depends on the vet they use.

Happy Birthday to you and @Donutte

Last edited:

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the birthday wishes everyone!

Happy (belated) birthday to you too Donutte! And happy (belated) birthday to your sister Zed Xyzed!

@Handsome Kitty  I know, you're totally right. I really need to work on being more patient, it doesn't come easily for me. I really have the highest respect for the volunteers themselves, I know they're doing their best with what they have.

And thank you everyone for the compliments to Tiberius and his sweater. I feel like he has to know how freaking adorable he is! I ordered a dinosaur sweater from amazon for him and I can hardly wait for it to arrive. It's shipping from China though, so it's not expected until the end of the month, but for the price it was totally worth it.

@catwoman707  I'm so glad the dark scabbies are a good sign! They're totally gross though haha.

Wow, that is an amazing deal! What a good vet!

I don't personally (thankfully) have any experiences with those procedures but I've seen users post about them and the run upwards of $1,000 from the sounds of it.

stak68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to bring my cat to an accupunture it really helps them get better. At first my cat buddy was not feeling well. Also a tuning fork works well.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stak68 I'm glad to hear your kitty recovered so well. What was wrong with your kitty?

Thanks for checking in Zed Xyzed! It's really touching :)

Things have been pretty stable here I think. I made him 2 coats out of a man's robe that I'm super proud of.

No vomiting, and he's been having solid stools for some time now! He eats about 2/3 of a cup when I'm aiming for 1 cup but it's enough to keep him out of the danger zone. The vet was really awesome and gave me a couple cans of his prescription food but my little stinker won't eat it! I tried microwaving it and mixing it with kibble and he's not having it. He use to love wet food too, but last time he actually ate some he bit into a pill that I was trying to sneak in so I think he remembers that.

He's had a couple baths now and most of his scabs are black. I thought he had kitty acne but I'm thinking it may actually be ringworm on his chin :( I'm using the medicated wipes on it and washing it with his shampoo but it seems to have the least progression.

I'm not keeping him isolated from anywhere besides the bedrooms, but he acts so sad and keeps trying to sneak in. I almost feel bad enough to let him him, but my comforter is way to much work to wash as frequently as it would need to be if I let him in. Ugh ringworm!

Last edited:

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and it's been a week and no response from the rescue. I'm not sure if I should contact them again or just give up? The fact that I signed a no health guarantee contact makes me feel like it's pointless. I was super niave, I read negative reviews and his adoption process was kind of a mess in of itself so I should have known better but I think we were ment to end up together.