Thrifty , money saving top tip and fun ideas?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop at the $ store for things like detergents. I go to thrift stores for most everything else. You would be amazed what these affluent neighbors donate - still with the designer tags on them in my size.

Oh, yeah, I got rid of hubby to save money, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am getting paid from work on Friday hopefully this will be the month I make my money last lol x

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior_j

I am getting paid from work on Friday hopefully this will be the month I make my money last lol x
Where do you normally shop for groceries?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy nearly all of my food on sale (expect perishable staples) and will freeze things for future use.

I'm a firm believer of fixing broken things rather than throwing them out and buying a new item. I'm experienced enough to recognize what is fixable or not when I buy it and don't buy cheap things that break easily.

Of late I've been doing a lot of swapping with neighbors and friends. Usually it's small stuff (we traded small landscaping rocks with a neighbor in return for very large landscaping stones), but I'm in the middle of a huge trade: we just traded my husbands 1996 car that was sitting in the garage on flat tires for 5 years for the removal of popcorn ceilings and a bathroom remodel. I think I'm getting the better deal here.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I shop at the $ store for things like detergents. I go to thrift stores for most everything else. You would be amazed what these affluent neighbors donate - still with the designer tags on them in my size.

Oh, yeah, I got rid of hubby to save money, too.
The Dollar Store and Goodwill are always my friend! I had to get new shorts for DH and me a few weeks ago and went to Goodwill. I got 2 pairs of shorts for me (Levi's), 2 pair for my husband (Dockers and Covington), a VERY pretty skirt (for me, of course
) 4 soup bowls, 2 heavy bowls for the outdoor cats a book and a belt...all for under $20! Hey, if it saves money, I'm not ashamed to shop there. I also love yard sales because I can give in to those little non-necessities for a few bucks.

I've gotten some great ideas from this thread! I love the idea of a list of what is in the freezer. I definitely need to start doing it because our freezer is so small that things just get lost. I can't remember how many times we've said "I forgot that was in there....oops".

A few of my tips...don't be afraid of generic brands. Now, there are some things I won't get generic because I've tried them and just don't like them. But most are identical. A can of green beans is a can of green beans regardless of what the brand is.

Also, if you can, grow your own veggies. If you don't have the land space or the time to look after a garden a lot of veggies do well in pots on a porch or balcony. We have one tomato plant we bought that we were planning on putting in the ground but put in an old planter until we had time...and it took off! It's doing better than any we actually planted and we are picking 4-5 tomatoes off it a week. For two people, it's perfect.

Finally, take time to cook a big meal on the weekend (or whatever day you have off) and freeze the rest of use it for lunches. It's usually cheaper to buy in bulk or value packs and things like chili and spaghetti sauce freeze perfectly.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

love the idea of a list of what is in the freezer. I definitely need to start doing it because our freezer is so small that things just get lost. I can't remember how many times we've said "I forgot that was in there....oops".
I eventually want to go one step beyond that and set up an actual inventory system. Generate and print out my own labels, scan it in and out, and have it easily cross referenced with how long something has been in there (meats). I could probably find a free program... if not, I might have to write it.
Sounds like overkill, but I have problems digging down to the bottom of the deep freezer due to my back and that would make it simple.

If we ever add a second deep freezer (current one is smaller since that's all that fits in the utility room anyways) in the shop this would be necessary. Plus I also have worm and turtle food that I have to keep stored - plus any other sort of grain/flours because of the constant meal moth battle.

Silly question, maybe. Those that buy clothes at yard sales and thrift stores - How do you ever find anything that fits you? I have a 28" waist, no hips or butt to speak of, and a 31" inseam. If I can find the right size in the waist they're always a 28" inseam. Surely I'm not the only person that's in the thin to average size range that's not super short.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wanted to try this! I didn't realize you could actually do your grocery shopping via dumpster diving! After seeing this video, I'm absolutely appalled at the amount of food thrown into the trash can when people around the world and in our very own cities are starving!

Dumpster Diving Grocery Shopping

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

The cooks are taking over my stockpile section. LoL I can't tell you how many pots, pans, and gadgets they collect. They each have their own favorite and I can't get them to downsize. haha

How much do you pay for litter and for what size? I find getting cat supplies cheap to be difficult. We pay $8.99 for 40lbs of litter at BJ's.

I can't tell you how many scrubbing bubbles I have from Target. LoL The gift cards come in handy too. They are smart in making you come back to their store for the savings plus they don't expire.
If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you, check out wood pellets. Natural wood pellets with no chemicals and you get 40# for about 6-7 bucks.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I eventually want to go one step beyond that and set up an actual inventory system. Generate and print out my own labels, scan it in and out, and have it easily cross referenced with how long something has been in there (meats). I could probably find a free program... if not, I might have to write it.
Sounds like overkill, but I have problems digging down to the bottom of the deep freezer due to my back and that would make it simple.

If we ever add a second deep freezer (current one is smaller since that's all that fits in the utility room anyways) in the shop this would be necessary. Plus I also have worm and turtle food that I have to keep stored - plus any other sort of grain/flours because of the constant meal moth battle.
If you figure out a good inventory, would you let me know? I don't think it's overkill, simply because you would have less waste and save money. That always works. I did make up my own freezer tags (with dates) and such and I do have a fairly good system working for keeping up with the freezer (my "What's in the Freezer?" list in Excel that I have taped to the fridge in the kitchen). I have bad lower back issues, too, that prevent me from getting down to the bottom of the freezer. We keep saying that we're going to buy an upright, but never seem to do it. Plus, some of the uprights don't store as much as the chest freezers.

BTW, if anybody decides to do a "What's in the Freezer" list, you might be interested in a "What's in the Pantry" list, too. Mine is really for the closet in the basement where I store extra items, but you could also use it for your kitchen pantry to keep track of pastas, vinegars, tomato products, sugars, teas, and the like.

Those lists are kind of a pain to work up, but once they're done, it's simply a matter of marking what you use as you use it and then marking what you buy as you bag it up for the freezer. And believe me, if you really do use something like this, you won't find a cut of meat that expired a year ago. You just won't. And it makes it easier to work on a grocery list, too, because you don't have to root around in your pantry cupboards or freezer. Just check out your list to see what you have or what you need that week.

If anybody is interested in my lists, PM me with your email address and I'll send it out to you....or let me know if I can include it in a return PM....I'm not sure if I can do that. I'm sure there are more sophisticated methods out there to keep track, but it's a good start.

We have shopped in grocery outlets; there's a nice one not too far away from us, so if we're going by the store, I'll stop in. I can get different varieties of mustard, sometimes cold cereals, some meats and frozen veggies, etc. If I know we're going to be driving by, I'll throw the cooler in the car and stop.

Also, you might want to check out The Tightwad Gazette: Promoting Thrift As A Viable Alternative Lifestyle by Amy Dacyczyn. While some of her ideas aren't necessarily what I would want to do, she does have some interesting thoughts on ways to save money.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

If you figure out a good inventory, would you let me know?
Seeing a you're likely a windows user, if I do find a program I like you wouldn't be able to use it. I use linux and only opensource free software (heck of a lot cheaper
).
There may be something out for windows but I highly doubt it would be opensource/free.

One problem I have with saving money shopping that everyone else is able to do is that I only have a Homeland (I think this is only a Oklahoma chain), a smaller Dollar General, and Kmart. Homeland doesn't do double coupons very often, unfortunately.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Seeing a you're likely a windows user, if I do find a program I like you wouldn't be able to use it. I use linux and only opensource free software (heck of a lot cheaper
).
There may be something out for windows but I highly doubt it would be opensource/free.
You're right....I forgot about that.

How about an Odd Lots? Or an Ollie's? About a year or so ago, I was at an Odd Lots and found Muir Glen Fire-Roasted Tomatoes for .39 a can! Bought a case of them. Sometimes I can find Grade B maple syrup at Odd Lots, too. (Most people prefer grade A, but Grade B is actually better for baking and it's quite a bit cheaper.) When I can find it, I'll buy several bottles. Usually that's when I go to CT to visit my GF.

We have an Ollie's here and I'll check out their canned goods. A new Odd Lots just opened in our area. And we have an Aldi's. Some of the food at an Odd Lots or a discount grocery store may be expired, but depending on the food, it's still OK. I wouldn't buy expired mayonnaise, for example, but yeah, I'd probably check out the mustard or vinegar.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you, check out wood pellets. Natural wood pellets with no chemicals and you get 40# for about 6-7 bucks.
Ooo we have to check this out. The litter used to be $7.99/40lbs but went up in the last year. TY

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Silly question, maybe. Those that buy clothes at yard sales and thrift stores - How do you ever find anything that fits you? I have a 28" waist, no hips or butt to speak of, and a 31" inseam. If I can find the right size in the waist they're always a 28" inseam. Surely I'm not the only person that's in the thin to average size range that's not super short.
Most Goodwill and other thrift stores will have a dressing room around here. Dollar stores here don't though, but I don't buy a lot of clothes there, because they don't last long. I like Goodwill because they are good clothes (as in well made, for the most part), just don't fit someone anymore. If you see something you like and there isn't a dressing room, ask if you can use the employee bathroom. If not, don't buy it.

I much prefer getting clothes at Goodwill or a second hand store instead of a dollar store. They are good quality and you will find a lot with the tags still on them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no Goodwill stores out here.
I think the city (130+ miles away) has a couple, though. The thrift stores that do have clothes are small, overpriced, and do not have dressing rooms.
I've seen nice jeans and dress pants at yard sales, but again always so short!

Oh, a tip for crafty people. Craft supplies such as beads, fabric, yarn, etc is expensive. As long as it's been stored decently it all washes up (and all beads will wash anyways) - check yard sales and thrift stores.

I've found great OLD vintage fabrics that have been stored well. I had one woman unload a large box of lace, yarn, and string on me for a couple dollars - she wanted it gone. We have a charity shop in town that sells donated stuff - while down there early one day with my MIL (she was donating some old furniture) I was looking off into the back room where the stuff recently received waits to be sorted and cleaned. Atop a box I spotted bead boxes. I ask the woman if that was beads and craft stuff - I got over $100 worth of beads, some being very high quality seed beads, for $10 (and saved her from having to sort it out. lol). You never know what you'll find.

Also, some smaller towns will have cheaper yard sales than larger towns.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally love having a bank account that makes me put money back. $1 every time I use my debit card and it adds up very quickly!

For everyone wanting an inventory list go here:
http://www.supercook.com/
You can make an account and put all of your items in your kitchen in and it will come up with recipes only with what you have. Also if you are allergic to anything it will exclude those. Its great! And if you only need one or two ingredients it will show those recipes too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Supercook looks neat, but not what I'm meaning by inventory. I mean an actual inventory, such as you'd see in place in a store/food plant, with the only thing not factored/tracked is item price (since there wouldn't be one). Very over the top systematizing, but that's what I like to do.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I personally love having a bank account that makes me put money back. $1 every time I use my debit card and it adds up very quickly!

For everyone wanting an inventory list go here:
http://www.supercook.com/
You can make an account and put all of your items in your kitchen in and it will come up with recipes only with what you have. Also if you are allergic to anything it will exclude those. Its great! And if you only need one or two ingredients it will show those recipes too.
Thank you!! I've been looking for this! I knew there was a website that let me put in "I have this, and this, and this...so what can I do" and get an answer but I couldn't find it.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I 'm a firm believer in piggy banks. People laugh at the idea when I say that, but here's my theory: you're throwing in money you would've wasted anyway; it's so easy to get in the habit of saving that way, and you don't miss it. That change adds up! Two-year's worth in a huge wine jug added up to nearly $900 once (which paid for a portion of my wedding). We also took another piggy bank, saved the next year, and put that $600 toward our house's closing costs. I also try not to use my coins when shopping; I use bills so I can get coins to throw into the jar.

My main credit card is one where I get cash rewards. As I buy most items with credit cards (AND PAY THEM IN FULL EVERY MONTH--this is very important), this pays off.

As I buy a LOT os stuff on eBay, including household necessities, even crates of toilet paper, I am signed up for eBay bucks. I think you get 10% of the auction price as bucks. Every 4 months, you get a gift certificate to use on eBay--I'm on my 3rd one now--I average about $16-$20 each time period. I also buy coupons for cat food and litter. (Technically, you can't sell the actual coupons; you're "paying for the time to sort and clip them") As I have 10 cats, paying .99 + maybe another .99 for postage for a lot of 20 litter coupons is worth it. As long as you can control yourself on eBay, and not over-spend, it's great.

I also have savings and investments deducted from my paycheck--the paycheck version of the piggy bank above. You don't miss it that way.

I love Acme Market's 10 for 10 sales! I always have a few months of food stored in the pantry (to guard against job loss, disasters, etc.). I get paid bi-weekly. If a good canned goods sale occurs on the paycheck I don't pay the mortgage with, I take $20 or so, and hit the sales. It's amazing what you can get for $20 on the Acme sales! I stock up on toothpaste, pasta mixes, canned goods, etc. I always try to have at least $20 to spare, should I encounter other great deals, on "off" pay weeks, too. BTW, I can't afford to shop at Acme; I just discipline myself to only buy the 10/10 items, then leave. We do our main grocery shopping elsewhere.

Giant (our main grocery store) often has meat roasts, BOGO. As we have a small chest freezer (which seems to be very energy-efficient--I don't notice a change in the electric bill), I can buy those to keep on hand (I make a delicious slow-cooker pulled beef recipe, which also freezes well). I live mostly on Lean Cuisine entrees and Weight Watcher's desserts, so I can use my eBay coupons, on top of the sale prices, and the freezer!

I also grow most of our vegetables and fruit in the summer, thereby saving lost of money, and getting better-tasting food. I also can/preserve some items for the winter.

Some people recommend that, when you buy something on sale, you takes the saved amount, and save it (piggy bank, etc.). Never tried that myself!

I also buy most of my clothes at Goodwill. I'm lucky--I usually find brand-new-with-tags items. I love getting a $48 skirt, and paying $2.25 for it! I started buying there, as I just didn't like the styles in the stores, but then I got hooked on the bargains. I also buy a lot of household goods there and at yard sales.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What type of litter and food coupons do you use MargeCat? I have some around here but don't use cat litter (I use chicken feed). I think there's a $1 off tidy cat coupon good till the end of the year and some yesterday news coupons somewhere.

Maybe that would be a good idea? Members here start some coupon trading? Surely some of us get things that have coupons in them for products we'd never use, thus just toss out.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

What type of litter and food coupons do you use MargeCat? I have some around here but don't use cat litter (I use chicken feed). I think there's a $1 off tidy cat coupon good till the end of the year and some yesterday news coupons somewhere.

Maybe that would be a good idea? Members here start some coupon trading? Surely some of us get things that have coupons in them for products we'd never use, thus just toss out.
Hi, Strange Wings,

I use Tidy Cat; I've never tried the Yesterday's news ones, but I could try it. Thank you.

I really appreciate it. Today has been horrible. We just got home an hour ago, after having to put Jasmine to sleep.