Those were the days......

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

So true. So....now that hubby is retired and I'm the breadwinner, should I expect him to put a ribbon in his hair and touch up his make up before I return from work
Absolutely! And while he's at it, he can put on his high heels, his string of pearls, and frolic about in the living room with the vacuum a la Donna Reed!!!!!!!

BTW, this would NOT be unlike my hubby to actually go ahead and do this...he's done far stranger.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beach Bum

I'm not sure for whom this was intended, but since I started the thread I will reply.

I had a very happy childhood, moving around all the time, very seldom in any one place for long. My father was a career military officer, and my mother was a housewife, and perfectly happy to be one. Dad was away an awful lot at sea, both before and after WWII. In fact, he was away at sea in the Pacific theater for the whole war. My mom, my brother and I took the first military dependents' ship back to Pearl Harbor when the war ended.

I guess I was so happy as a "service brat" that I married a career military officer myself. I, too, have always been very happy with my life as a housewife, raising three fine sons, and I always found that to be challenge enough. Like my life before my marriage, after Jim and I were married he, like my father, was away from home so very much. He was home for all of eight weeks during the first two years of our marriage, and that was just for starters. His eldest son was six months old when they first met. You might say that I did not have to "put a ribbon in my hair" very often during that first two years.

We moved around before Jim's retirement so much that that by the time that eldest son graduated high school he had attended more schools than he had grades. But the moving was another whole education for our sons -- one which many young people never have the chance to be exposed to. Our sons were always close, perhaps out of necessity, and to this day they are their own best friends. Their children's cousins are like sisters and brothers.

I shall never forget my late mother getting Jim and me aside privately just before our marriage and telling Jim that if I ever complained about his being away so much, as she knew he would be, to let her know and she would be on the next plane and put me over her knee and paddle me good. She really didn't have to say that, because I knew full well what my life would be like, and it was.

I never found it to be demeaning to be a housewife. I thought that was one of the most important and sometimes difficult jobs one could have. Of course I am dating myself, but I still feel that way. When Jim and I were younger there were not so many families with both the husband and wife working, and we know that things are different now. We have three lovely DIL's, all of whom are professionals and who are happy in their professions. The world changes.

Jim and I and our lovely Turkish Vans have lived on our beach now for five years since his retirement. This is the longest we have ever lived in the same town in our 47 years of marriage.

I wouldn't trade my life for any other. It was not right for everyone, but it was right for me.

All the best to you all,

Ann
Although I work outside the home, I couldn't agree with you more...being a housewife and full-time mother is one of the most difficult jobs there are! Sounds like you've done a fine job!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH said to me one time, ONCE, "But all the other guys at work have thier wives make thier lunches... Why dont you?!) He still has a headache from me yelling "WELL GO LIVE WITH THEM!

He's actually a good housekeeper. He does the dishes and helps with the laundry. I don't let him do the deep cleaning of the house because I don't want to have to have it done twice

And the whole putting on make-up before he came home...pffft...He better thank his lucky stars I'm awake when he comes home!

My mother waits on my father like a maid and I can't stand it. I remember when I was about to get married to my ex husband my mom and I were shopping one day. Out of the blue she tells me "Don't EVER pamper him to the extent I did your dad. Because even after you have children he will expect it no matter what"... She's right! I let both my ex and my current husband's know that I am MANY things to them: wife, partner, best friend, lover, mother to children but I am NOT a maid or servant!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This article cracked me up... but the worst part was Fh liked some of the ideas... now there were some he didn't care for "His topics are more important than yours..." for example....

He did however, admit that if I'm working, it's not gonna happen.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, most of that is just to over the top even for me.

but really how the idea of it sounds dated, (in the world today where couples both have to work) If you notice really it trying to set the home up as safe place, a place where you want to come to. good atmoshphere, lol kinda like zen peacefull.

I broke up with my Ex wife just for his reason, coming home created more stress then it was worth for me.

lol some of those thing i do, the wife comes home, i will stop what i am doing and go see her.
if i am home come dinner time, i will start getting it ready(ehhe besides if i cook it, i dont have to wash up the mess after)

i have also done dumb things, like have roses waiting for her, bubble bath ready with candles and wine, all ready for her, when she would get home after a day when i know she had it rough.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i have also done dumb things, like have roses waiting for her, bubble bath ready with candles and wine, all ready for her, when she would get home after a day when i know she had it rough.
Those aren't dumb things - those are the little things that let's someone know you care!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So true. So....now that hubby is retired and I'm the breadwinner, should I expect him to put a ribbon in his hair and touch up his make up before I return from work
Having met your husband at the meet-up, I am laughing so hard now!

That really is an hysterical set of rules!!
I can just imagine myself putting a ribbon in my hair and it matching so well with my tom boy clothes!

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the last one is the one that really gets me.
"You have no right to question him."

pffffft.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't forget the high heels and pearls!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

My mother waits on my father like a maid and I can't stand it. I remember when I was about to get married to my ex husband my mom and I were shopping one day. Out of the blue she tells me "Don't EVER pamper him to the extent I did your dad. Because even after you have children he will expect it no matter what"... She's right! I let both my ex and my current husband's know that I am MANY things to them: wife, partner, best friend, lover, mother to children but I am NOT a maid or servant!
My mother used to be like this. She has since made some adjustments and my father being a good man accepts it and has for many years now. She told me this same thing when I got married, and she often laughs at how Brian and I interact.

For example...earlier this week Brian tells me that he's out of underwear. I'm not doing it because he's off all this week and at home. So I told him where I keep the soap and dryer sheets and quarters and to have at it. He said okay. That was Monday...it's Thursday. He still hasn't done laundry. I'm not even questioning what he's been doing about underwear and frankly I don't want to know.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

My mother used to be like this. She has since made some adjustments and my father being a good man accepts it and has for many years now. She told me this same thing when I got married, and she often laughs at how Brian and I interact.

For example...earlier this week Brian tells me that he's out of underwear. I'm not doing it because he's off all this week and at home. So I told him where I keep the soap and dryer sheets and quarters and to have at it. He said okay. That was Monday...it's Thursday. He still hasn't done laundry. I'm not even questioning what he's been doing about underwear and frankly I don't want to know.

Uh-oh!!!! COMMANDO!!!

Let it all hang out, I say.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Don't forget the high heels and pearls!
I just told him about this thread, and Jan, he says he hadn't forgotten the pearls and high heels along with his sequinned underwear in gold lame material
. I'm actually beginning to get a bit worried now and thinking maybe he ought to get out more

[PHP=Sar]
Having met your husband at the meet-up, I am laughing so hard now!

[/php] It's even funnier when you've seen him isn't it!!!!!!!

kittydaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Few men expect their wives to act like slaves in current times, however being kind, giving and attentive has never hurt any relationship regardless of who is on the recieving end. Some aspects of "feminism" on the other hand amongst others obviously, have unfortunately turned the institution into a questionable one...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittyDaddy

Few men expect their wives to act like slaves in current times, however being kind, giving and attentive has never hurt any relationship regardless of who is on the recieving end. Some aspects of "feminism" on the other hand amongst others obviously, have unfortunately turned the institution into a questionable one...
yep.like i said, before, the idea of making home a happy place to come to, was kinda the point of the whole thing, many of those things apply to both men and women.

lol in truth i would goooooooooo nuts, if any women acted like that. i would be checking for posion or something

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alot of the article I already do. Jerry works from 5pm to 5am almost everyday. I am in bed when he gets in. I try to have his dinner in the fridge. I always leave him a letter to let him know I have been thinking about him. And to let him know how MY DAY WAS. I am still adjusting to this whole "stay-at home" thing. I grew up in a single parent home. My mom busted her butt to take care of me. I never knew my Grandmother, but, I do know she spoiled Pop, but, at the same time, she was ruler of the roost when he didn't pull his weight. I guess I came from a long line of independant women.

When Jerry wakes up around 12 or 1 he expects me to cook his lunch, and fix his dinnner for work. I am still not use to it lol. As for the cleaning, I do it. Like many have said earlier, I would rather do it, than have to go back over his version of cleaning. I have talked to my mil and she gets a big kick out of my griping. She too was a stay at home wife and mom. She said she tried doing the whole June Cleaver thing, and it lasted maybe 6 months. You learn to adjust to what suits your family.
Jerry would have me put on the hill (our local mental hospital) if I was always all cheerful and the kids were always quiet. He'd probably be scared. I try to keep the kids quiet, and they too have minds of their own