Those were the days......

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just for a little humor, Jim and I thought those of you out there in the younger generation, which is of course most all of you, might find this to be of interest.

No -- it is not a joke. Jim and I were married just 4 years after this article was published in Good Housekeeping in 1955. I could almost recite it from memory, as being just how I was taught by my mother.

You better believe it!

All the best,

Ann

PS Jim wonders how the longevity of marriages compare between our younger days and today. I told him to mind his own business -- those days are over!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is hilarious! I can't beleive how far the world has come in 50 years!

catlady810

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HAHAHAHAH!!! My mother told me about those rules too. Some of those rules were followed in my household even in the 80's.

It's strange that as the generation grow, that some of the things our parents parents taught them still stay with us.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have seen older books that are along this line. Never fails to crack me up.

Tricia

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmmm, now I know why my marriage failed!!!!!
My favorite line:
Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night.... say what?????

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

That is hilarious! I can't beleive how far the world has come in 50 years!
my grandmother was always quite amazed at how the husbands in my generation took care of the kids - changed diapers, fed 'em, etc. [i'm the oldest grandchild on that side - i'm 48. the youngest grandchild is 26.]

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"His topics of conversation are more important than yours." I'll try to remember that the next time he starts an animated discussion about how to secure our home against the inevitable horde of ravaging zombies.

Incidentally, my uncle (my father's sister's husband) has never cooked a meal for himself in his life, and has no clue how. If he doesn't like something my aunt has prepared for dinner, she cooks him something else. (I don't know where this came from, because my grandfather -- my aunt's father -- cooks for himself and I know my nana -- my aunt's mother -- would never have put up with that kind of :censored: from him.) I'm not married, but I am in a committed relationship, and if my boyfriend doesn't like what I'm cooking for dinner, he can go hungry or make something himself. (Not that this happens, because we cook together; it's more fun that way.
)

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Housewife vs. Stay-at-Home Mom: My Experiences!

1955: Have dinner ready on time for his return.
2006: Call him on his way home from work and tell him there's nothing to eat in the house (that's code for, I don't want to cook) so pick up Subway or pop over to Wal-Mart to get some fried chicken and potato wedges on his way home.

1955: Prepare yourself. Touch-up makeup and be fresh looking.
2006: Take 30 seconds to put on deodorant and pull hair back. If time, put on a bra. Showers will wait till the kids go to bed.

1955: Be gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift. Listen to him. His topic of conversation is more important than yours.
2006: Listen to him drivel on about data loads and reports for at least one minute before walking into another room.

1955: Clear away the clutter.
2006: Make him understand that you have given into the clutter. If you put it away, the gnomes will make it reappear immediately.

1955: Prepare the children and encourage them to be quiet.
2006: Leave the baby in a poopy diaper for a few minutes so daddy can change it when he gets home. Be sure to mention to your oldest daughter that they haven't played with the professional percussion kit Daddy spent $100 on at Musician's Friend in a while. Put it in an easily accessible location. To add to the volume, plug the mic into Daddy's PA and encourage daughters to sing ABC's and Twinkle, Twinkle ad nauseum.

1955: Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile. Speak in a low, soothing voice.
2006: Pretend like you didn't notice he was home for as long as possible. When you finally must acknowledge him, raise your voice and blame him for the kid's horrible behavior.

1955: Don't complain if he's home late or stays out all night.
2006: Call his cell phone every 30 seconds until he picks up or walks in the door.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

"His topics of conversation are more important than yours." I'll try to remember that the next time he starts an animated discussion about how to secure our home against the inevitable horde of ravaging zombies.
So true! Still, can't imagine either of my grandfathers doing that...

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1955: Be gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift. Listen to him. His topic of conversation is more important than yours.
2006: Listen to him drivel on about data loads and reports for at least one minute before walking into another room.
It's the 'at least' that says 'I love you'

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a copy of that article via email.

I still haven't forgot the time Dad picked me and Mom up (he had the day off, I was in classes and mom worked) and mumbled he hadn't had anything to eat all day. There was lunchmeat in the fridge or he could have driven down to McDonald's! Sheesh!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

1955: Have dinner ready on time for his return.
2006: Call him on his way home from work and tell him there's nothing to eat in the house (that's code for, I don't want to cook) so pick up Subway or pop over to Wal-Mart to get some fried chicken and potato wedges on his way home.

1955: Prepare yourself. Touch-up makeup and be fresh looking.
2006: Take 30 seconds to put on deodorant and pull hair back. If time, put on a bra. Showers will wait till the kids go to bed.

2006: Make him understand that you have given into the clutter. If you put it away, the gnomes will make it reappear immediately.

1955: Prepare the children and encourage them to be quiet.
2006: Leave the baby in a poopy diaper for a few minutes so daddy can change it when he gets home. Be sure to mention to your oldest daughter that they haven't played with the professional percussion kit Daddy spent $100 on at Musician's Friend in a while. Put it in an easily accessible location. To add to the volume, plug the mic into Daddy's PA and encourage daughters to sing ABC's and Twinkle, Twinkle ad nauseum.

1955: Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile. Speak in a low, soothing voice.
2006: Pretend like you didn't notice he was home for as long as possible. When you finally must acknowledge him, raise your voice and blame him for the kid's horrible behavior.

1955: Don't complain if he's home late or stays out all night.
2006: Call his cell phone every 30 seconds until he picks up or walks in the door.
oh my goodness

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our Sunday paper just had excerpts from a German book published at about the same time. All in the same vein! Yikes!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its interesting that some people still live by these guidelines today. I remember an episode of wife-swap where one family was very much into a book about how to be a good wife and was a part of a club where they explored the best ways to cater to their husbands. She did all of those things mentioned!

To be honest... If I was home all day I would make every effort to have dinner done when he gets home, and have everything tidy.. But I work hard all day too and am just as beat as he is!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

To be honest... If I was home all day I would make every effort to have dinner done when he gets home, and have everything tidy.. But I work hard all day too and am just as beat as he is!
Well, sure - but even if you were at home that still wouldn't make his topics of conversation more important than yours!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's the greatest!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Well, sure - but even if you were at home that still wouldn't make his topics of conversation more important than yours!
Definitley true! I'm a talker and would have had issues living in that time