This is going to be one for the books! Transitioning Lucky, Bugsy and Hope to Raw.... Challenges Gal

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina,

I'm so happy to read about the big transition!  Congrats!

All of my cats are now 100% raw as of Wednesday.  They have all been at least 50% raw feeders for the last 2.5 years.  I even have become confident enough to make the food totally on my own using meat and supplements! 

Felix was my difficult one--my kibble addict.  It took a loooooooooooooooong time to transition him.  I started by adding just a pea sized meatball to his food and it was quite a long time before he would even eat THAT.  We slowly worked up from there.  He was my first kitty to go to 100% raw, although he still DEARLY loves to get 'hold of kibble when possible!

Hang in there.  It will take time and determination but you will eventually succeed.  Get ready for glossy coats and bright eyes!!!!

Take care,

C

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure AC will be by to answer your question at some point - it is New Year's Eve after all. :lol3: BUT... I just wanted to check in on things and say

:woohoo: :clap: All things considered - you and the kitties are doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb:

:wow: You've come so far in just five days!

AND... even better, it sounds like things OVER ALL are settling down into a routine now. I know Lucky's going to take a lot more work... but let's face it - it's just been FIVE DAYS! :flail:

Seems like the new year is off to a running start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party4: :party3: :clap:

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and the fur kids!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
And yet another successful meal - without Fortiflora!! :clap::clap::clap: :woohoo::woohoo:
So, I am pushing the raw further now - same quantities, but less water on the wet food, and instead of mixing the raw REALLY well into the wet, I am just mixing slightly,so the texture and taste are kept :nod:
Bugsy ate his in a few sittings - did not give me any trouble...... just moved around a couple of times to wash his mane - he is METICULOUS about that :lol3:, but as soon as I put the plate in front of him, he would start eating again, and eat he did, to the last bite. His plate was shiny clean! :bigthumb:
Hope did not want to start eating at first, but I moved with her, and once she started it got easier.... :nod: She left just a bite or two, but really, I think she was full :nod:

Lucky had a GOOD meal with me, and kept it all down. She is naturally working towards a schedule, and I only stay with her when I feed the others,at meal times :nod:
Those times, I feed her outside the station, since she likes the company so much.... She is eating more and more while I am with her.... She pretty much had a full meal this time - I was afraid of her throwing up, but she didn't :bigthumb::clap::clap::clap:
She still has access to kibbles, in her station, but without me - seems that she is more and more waiting for me to eat though, which is GREAT! :clap::clap::clap:

Carolina,

I'm so happy to read about the big transition!  Congrats!

All of my cats are now 100% raw as of Wednesday.  They have all been at least 50% raw feeders for the last 2.5 years.  I even have become confident enough to make the food totally on my own using meat and supplements! 

Felix was my difficult one--my kibble addict.  It took a loooooooooooooooong time to transition him.  I started by adding just a pea sized meatball to his food and it was quite a long time before he would even eat THAT.  We slowly worked up from there.  He was my first kitty to go to 100% raw, although he still DEARLY loves to get 'hold of kibble when possible!

Hang in there.  It will take time and determination but you will eventually succeed.  Get ready for glossy coats and bright eyes!!!!

Take care,

C
Thank you :hugs: Was Felix free-fed and on kibbles only? That's the case with Lucky..... :sigh: Did you put him in a schedule?
Thank you so much for the tip of the pea-size amount in his food - I will start doing that in her next meal.... I think the first time I put Raw side by side I put too much, and was overwhelming - a tiny bit will work best :nod:
Hopefully she will still eat her kibbles :slant:

Ok...... so if all goes well, tomorrow I continue on 1/3 raw and 2/3 wet, and Monday I will do 1/2 and 1/2....... Slowly but surely - unless...... Bugsy gives me the gift of a solid poop tomorrow again - then I move on to 1/2 and 1/2.... But knowing him........ We will wait and see! :nod:

I'm sure AC will be by to answer your question at some point - it is New Year's Eve after all. :lol3: BUT... I just wanted to check in on things and say
:woohoo: :clap: All things considered - you and the kitties are doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb:
:wow: You've come so far in just five days!
AND... even better, it sounds like things OVER ALL are settling down into a routine now. I know Lucky's going to take a lot more work... but let's face it - it's just been FIVE DAYS! :flail:
Seems like the new year is off to a running start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party4: :party3: :clap:
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and the fur kids!!!!!!
Thank you hun.... :hugs: Happy New Year for you too!!!! :hugs::hugs::hugs:
And yep - Lucky will be our biggest project......... I thought it would be Bugsy.... but she is SUCH a princess! :lol3:

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I did find a little vomit with a little hairball in it - thought it was Lucky's and got immediately worried
Definitely not hers - there were all these little pieces of bone in it..... and evidently Lucky doesn't eat raw..... So this was either Hope or Bugsy - don't know who, as I was sleeping. It was not a lot either - a little hairball, lots of tiny bones, and some liquid - the food had been digested, definitely did not throw up a meal.....
Now my question is...... are these pieces of bone getting stuck? Can they cause a blockage with the hairballs if enough of them get in there? Or they will throw them up before that happen?
The kitties will handle the hairballs just as they always do - either pass 'em (which should happen more and more frequently) or hork 'em. Sometimes food gets caught up in a horked-up hairball - I don't believe it's any more of a worry if it's pieces of raw than it would be if it were anything else you fed. And any bone that follows a hairball down the digestive tract should be digested in the normal process of things. Just keep an eye on the kitties as you would any time they toss up a hairball. 

Best regards.

AC

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitties will handle the hairballs just as they always do - either pass 'em (which should happen more and more frequently) or hork 'em. Sometimes food gets caught up in a horked-up hairball - I don't believe it's any more of a worry if it's pieces of raw than it would be if it were anything else you fed. And any bone that follows a hairball down the digestive tract should be digested in the normal process of things. Just keep an eye on the kitties as you would any time they toss up a hairball. 

Best regards.

AC
Great to know - thanks AC - gotta feed them another meal....... will update as how it goes :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Happy New Year! :hugs:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last meal of the year :party4: didn't go as smooth as meals 1 & 2, but got finished nonetheless :nod:
Bugsy started eating right away, but not Hope - she walked away..... Now, keep in mind, most of the scent comes from the wet now, as the raw is mixed in....
She did start eating though, but it took moving the plates several times, and sprinkling with fortiflora - very lightly, twice. She did eat everything.
Bugsy eat about 2/3 of it right away, and one sprinkle of fortiflora to finish. He left some...... but then finished all about 20 minutes later.
I think I will have to make a move soon - if his poop permits, I will have to increase the raw tomorrow - we will see if I can do 50/50....... The poop-o-meter is ready :lol3:
I want to rely on the taste of the raw for them to eat, rather than fortiflora :nod:

Lucky is doing well - she ate well, and has kept all down.... I am also continuing to feed her on schedule, out of the box.
I did put a pea-sized piece of raw with her kibbles..... She ate the kibbles well until that she noticed the raw in there - at that point she walked away. I will keep doing this at every meal and see how it goes..... Hopefully she will eat one day :cross:

One question for the experience raw feeders out there about rotation, as I don't want them to get sick and tired of the food..... Consider Bugsy's sensitivity (which can be pretty extreme):
I am told to stay a week on Rabbit, then add the second protein - I am thinking Venison, since their wet foods was Venison (ZiwiPeak). Do I count that week from the time they started eating, or from the time they are eating 100%? I am assuming it is from the time they are 100% on it?
Then what happens? I feed only that new food for a whole week? One day one, the other day the old food? I am also assuming you start the second protein slow, like a transition? Or you just go on and do a full meal?
Also on rotation - how often should I change the food? again, considering Bugsy's sensitivity?
Thanks, and sorry for all the questions..... :wavey:

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina,

Felix has always been on a schedule.  We have dogs and there's no way to leave food out, if you know what I mean!  However, he'd always eaten 100% kibble, as he refused any and all attempts at even canned food, much less raw!  However, he became so obese, we HAD to do something, and once he began eating raw, he lost the weight!

Felix is a fish lover, so I think I even coated the pea sized lump in some bonito, or put a drop of salmon oil on it to tempt him.  One day Lucky will be really hungry and actually eat the tiny meatball, and then she'll be on her way.  Just be sure and go slowly with increasing its size.  I eventually was using kibble just as a "garnish" and with time, removed that kibble by kibble.  I'd say the whole process took 4-5 months!!!

Happy New Year to you and the kits!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thoroughly enjoying watching this unfold day by day! :lol3:   :bigthumb:

AC
I couldn't agree more :D :clap::clap:. I like that you have decided to number the day's also - I think this will be a VERY helpful thread to anyone considering the transition to raw :nod: :bigthumb:

Continued good vibes for success day by day :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina,

Felix has always been on a schedule.  We have dogs and there's no way to leave food out, if you know what I mean!  However, he'd always eaten 100% kibble, as he refused any and all attempts at even canned food, much less raw!  However, he became so obese, we HAD to do something, and once he began eating raw, he lost the weight!

Felix is a fish lover, so I think I even coated the pea sized lump in some bonito, or put a drop of salmon oil on it to tempt him.  One day Lucky will be really hungry and actually eat the tiny meatball, and then she'll be on her way.  Just be sure and go slowly with increasing its size.  I eventually was using kibble just as a "garnish" and with time, removed that kibble by kibble.  I'd say the whole process took 4-5 months!!!

Happy New Year to you and the kits!
Ok! Thanks for the tip - I will start coating the peasize lump on halo flakes - once she eats it, I will start increasing the size! Sounds like a good plan! :clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Don't be sorry - not in the least!! These questions are very valid and important and again will be most helpful for someone else :nod:.... So ask away - we are all learning along with you and appreciate your keeping a daily journal about this transition. Most helpful :hugs:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hyper:Day 6:hyper:
Day 6 Starts with Good news!! The poop-o-meter says....... spice it up a notch mom! :clap::clap::clap:
Bugsy's poop, while not solid, was firmer than yesterday, formed, and a LOT less in volume - that was interesting :scratch:
So...... Here we go - today we started the day on 1/2 wet and 1/2 raw :clap::clap::clap:
There was no poop for Hope yet, but she has been pooping perfectly, so she is not worrying me :nod:
Bugsy was on the kitchen, on my foot, the whole time - talk about PRESSURE :wait:, his little head UP, watching my every move :lol3:
Hope was waiting on the door, and so was Lucky :D
Bugsy started eating right away, while Hope needed some help moving around........... They both ate most of it with gusto - it took only one tiny sprinkle of Fortiflora to finish it up on the very last part of the meal :nod:
Hope left a bite or two - again, I think she was just full :nod:
Bugsy polished his plate and is now completely passed out on the floor :lol3: He is one satisfied kitty :clap::clap::clap:
Lucky had a great meal with me - again, fed her outside of the station, and put the pea-sized lump of raw with the kibbles. While she did not eat that, it did not bother her this time, so it is a progress. She kept the breakfast down, and is now running around the house going nuts with Hope - up and down the cat shelves and tree, running around like mad kitties :clap::clap::clap:
Next meal I will sprinkle the pea size lump with Halo and see how that goes :nod:
Happy New Year everyone!! :party4:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Don't be sorry - not in the least!! These questions are very valid and important and again will be most helpful for someone else :nod:.... So ask away - we are all learning along with you and appreciate your keeping a daily journal about this transition. Most helpful :hugs:
:yeah: EXACTLY that! The more questions the better, works to help all of us! :nod:

Actually, I'm amazed at where things are on just day five, you know? :wow: OK - Lucky's going to be a project. But as so many people feed kibble, and have cats just addicted to it (me, even though they're all eating all wet or mostly wet, we have those couple of hold outs that still insist on some small amount of kibble), ALL of the questions, suggestions, tricks and ideas are great! :clap:

Honestly, I think it's hysterical that Bugsy and Hope just want all raw! It speaks volumes, really, about canned food. :nod: BUT... that he needs the slower transition because of his GI system being sooooo sensitive... well, it also goes to show that it's just smart to work within the limitations of your kitties, despite what they want. :heart3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: EXACTLY that! The more questions the better, works to help all of us! :nod:
Actually, I'm amazed at where things are on just day five, you know? :wow: OK - Lucky's going to be a project. But as so many people feed kibble, and have cats just addicted to it (me, even though they're all eating all wet or mostly wet, we have those couple of hold outs that still insist on some small amount of kibble), ALL of the questions, suggestions, tricks and ideas are great! :clap:
Honestly, I think it's hysterical that Bugsy and Hope just want all raw! It speaks volumes, really, about canned food. :nod: BUT... that he needs the slower transition because of his GI system being sooooo sensitive... well, it also goes to show that it's just smart to work within the limitations of your kitties, despite what they want. :heart3:
Thank you :hugs:
Yeah..... you should see how Bugsy gets when I bring the raw out of the fridge... He stands up, starts walking, rubbing on my legs, talking.... Boy REALLY knows what he wants :lol3::clap::clap::clap:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am SO loving this thread.  And every day I think...can I do this too?  Then I look at my 16 year old Sven and wonder ...can HE ever do that?  Gosh, it would be so good for him, I think  (he's CRF), but at his age, and having been on kibble almost his entire life...not sure if he'd be willing to change! 

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SO loving this thread.  And every day I think...can I do this too?  Then I look at my 16 year old Sven and wonder ...can HE ever do that?  Gosh, it would be so good for him, I think  (he's CRF), but at his age, and having been on kibble almost his entire life...not sure if he'd be willing to change! 
You never know until you try!

Just like us, it's never too late to start eating well, and cats of any age can be transitioned to a raw diet. Sometimes they take to it quickly, like Bugsy and Hope, sometimes they need a little convincing, a la Lucky, but it can be done stress-free at any age.

Day 6 Starts with Good news!! The poop-o-meter says....... spice it up a notch mom!

Bugsy's poop, while not solid, was firmer than yesterday, formed, and a LOT less in volume - that was interesting
This is the benefit most cat owners get to enjoy directly - raw fed cats produce less waste and poop less frequently than their canned and - especially! -  kibble-fed counterparts. Even better, it's almost odorless. Just a physical sign that Bugsy's body is processing more of the food than it was before.

What a GREAT way to start the New Year!

AC

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sally :hugs: Why not try offering him a little bit and see if he likes it? The way I see, truly, is if it is good for Bugsy, and if he can tolerate this, than seriously, any cat can :lol3:
Because Sven is older, and has CRF, I wouldn't stress him out, of course with a harsh schedule transition and all.... But CatMom2Wires gave some excellent tips on how to transition kibble addicts that I am now using for Lucky too..... Maybe something like that could be done and he would not even notice - if not appreciate it :nod:
For my household, I chose Nature's Variety because it is 100% pathogen free guaranteed, and that's what is safe for my boy. I am sure Hope can deal with other foods too. NV finally made me confident enough that I was safe to do this..... and I am VERY very excited and happy on how he is handling it all :clap::clap::clap::clap: Can't wait for all of them to be on it 100%, and on a rotation. I think it is going to be tremendous for his health, in ALL levels :clap::clap::clap:

This is the benefit most cat owners get to enjoy directly - raw fed cats produce less waste and poop less frequently than their canned and - especially! -  kibble-fed counterparts. Even better, it's almost odorless. Just a physical sign that Bugsy's body is processing more of the food than it was before. :D

What a GREAT way to start the New Year! :clap:

AC
I agree! I was surprised to see HOW much less! I was looking for the rest :flail: And well....... it was just no rest to be found :lol3::lol3::lol3: Sure, not firm/solid yet, but improved from the day before........ and improvement is definitely what we are after here :bigthumb:

So, Auntie and the other Raw feeders out there - I posted these before, and I don't want them to get lost...... So I am reposting it ;)
One question for the experience raw feeders out there about rotation, as I don't want them to get sick and tired of the food..... Consider Bugsy's sensitivity (which can be pretty extreme):
I am told to stay a week on Rabbit, then add the second protein - I am thinking Venison, since their wet foods was Venison (ZiwiPeak). Do I count that week from the time they started eating, or from the time they are eating 100%? I am assuming it is from the time they are 100% on it?
Then what happens? I feed only that new food for a whole week? One day one, the other day the old food? I am also assuming you start the second protein slow, like a transition? Or you just go on and do a full meal?
Also on rotation - how often should I change the food? again, considering Bugsy's sensitivity?
I am also adding this question - seems that we are moving along here and soon we will be on 100% raw.
Bugsy NEEDS to lose weight.
I am shooting for 16lbs as optimum weight at first - I think that's where he should be..... If he is still fat, then we go further.....
Now, I hear that he will crave carbs, and that you start feeding a bit more of the raw in the beginning because of that.

On Nature's Variety, for 19lbs, He needs to be fed: 5.4oz a day
If I feed him based on his lean weight, 16lbs, he will be fed this: 4.7oz

How much do I feed him, once I turn into 100% - considering I do want him to lose weight, but also wanting to do this safely? (the above qtys are based on their food, of course..... here is the calculator: http://www.naturesvariety.com/feedguide

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.....
I am also adding this question - seems that we are moving along here and soon we will be on 100% raw.
Bugsy NEEDS to lose weight.
I am shooting for 16lbs as optimum weight at first - I think that's where he should be..... If he is still fat, then we go further.....
Now, I hear that he will crave carbs, and that you start feeding a bit more of the raw in the beginning because of that.

On Nature's Variety, for 19lbs, He needs to be fed: 5.4oz a day
If I feed him based on his lean weight, 16lbs, he will be fed this: 4.7oz

How much do I feed him, once I turn into 100% - considering I do want him to lose weight, but also wanting to do this safely? (the above qtys are based on their food, of course..... here is the calculator: http://www.naturesvariety.com/feedguide
Thanks
I suggested staying on each new protein for a week or so to ensure Bugsy has time to acclimate to each one, and you have time to identify which ones he can / can't tolerate. From what I've seen in this thread so far, however, Bugsy reacts pretty quickly to a food he can't handle; given that, you can drop the initial intro of each new protein down a bit, if you want. It doesn't have to be a specific count - just an assurance he and Hope are ok with the protein.

Normally, I'd say each new protein can be offered as a full meal as a first intro, but given your particular situation, I'd push "slow". First a quarter of the food, then half the food, then three-quarters, then a whole meal.

Once a food's been introduced, it can be added to the rotation - and those foods can be rotated at every meal just like canned.

Bugsy isn't going crave carbs; what MIGHT happen is that his body recognizes in the raw what it's been missing in previous foods and he may feel the need to eat a LOT to begin with. Most cats that go through this level out and start eating normally after a few weeks or so.

I don't know how NV calculates their "recommended" feeding amounts. Using the raw feeders calculator, Bugsy should get 7.75 ounces of food a day at his optimal weight of 16 pounds, and 9 ounces at his current weight (using 3%). Personally, I'd start with 8 ounces a day and just watch Bugsy. If his weight maintains or increases, reduce the amount by half an ounce or so, if he begins to lose weight, make sure it's no more than a couple of ounces a week, adjusting his food intake accordingly.

AC

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one small treat for the plate; one giant leap for Lucky

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Huge, Huge Report For Miss Lucky the finicky Kibble Addict today :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

So, took CatMom2Wire's advice, and made 3, not only one small treats - I think they were about pea-sized.... and coated them very well with Halo "dust". Crushed the freeze-dry treats that she goes insane for, and rolled the treats on it, making sure it covered all surfaces.... I didn't mix the meat with the treat, just coated - and Put it on her plate, with the kibbles.... It looked like this:

:thud::hyper: O-M-G :thud::hyper:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: She ate not only one, but came back and ate a second!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

She did not eat the last one, but continued eating her kibbles, and was not put off by it :hyper:
OMG this is HUGE :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: She had a good size meal, and is doing good on getting on a schedule :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Go Lucky! Make momma Proud! :woohoo:

Now, I had of course to prepare these treats with the kitchen door closed - because the smell of these treats drive ALL of them NUTS!!! Let me tell you, Bugsy almost put the door down trying to get to me once I opened the can. :frusty: Once I opened the door with their meals ready and presented his plate, he was sniffing the whole kitchen looking for the Halo treats
WHERE IS IT MOM???​
I had to ran to put it for Lucky but when I opened the door from feeding her..... sure enough - Bugsy and Hope were standing there :hyper: My turn My turn :hyper:

I gotta say, it took some work for Bugsy and Lucky to finish their meal this time, but they finally did it.... :nod:
I am not sure if they are getting tired of the Z/D (they usually did), If Lucky's treat threw them off, or if I am serving the food too cold....
It took some Fortiflora again, several times actually :(.................... Light...... very very light dust...... but I soooooo don't want to rely on it!

So, as always, good thing brings an issue :lol3: - I have to do the treats for Lucky.......... and I can't give the others Halo treats - especially Bugsy......... at the same time can't have that put their meal off, if that is the case.

For the food temperature, I have 2 questions:
I am feeding it cold to touch - I just spread the food on the plate and that helps to bring the temperature up a bit.

I also read that bringing the temperature of the meat to a "mouse temperature" can help them to like the food better - should I just do that on a ziplock bag under warm water?

and finally, my last question:
Hope and Bugsy are not fast eaters - they like eating, moving, then eating again. Especially Bugsy - he is OCD about his mane :lol3::lol3::lol3: So he has to have it 100% clean, stoping quite a few times to have a niiiiiice bath, thinking about life..... then resuming eating.
Basically, for how long is it safe to leave the plate down with raw food, once it is served? I know that's probably a stupid question, but it is important for me to know...... If I give their time or if I push them to eat, for example.....
Thanks, and will update next meal! :wavey:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggested staying on each new protein for a week or so to ensure Bugsy has time to acclimate to each one, and you have time to identify which ones he can / can't tolerate. From what I've seen in this thread so far, however, Bugsy reacts pretty quickly to a food he can't handle; given that, you can drop the initial intro of each new protein down a bit, if you want. It doesn't have to be a specific count - just an assurance he and Hope are ok with the protein.
You are right - Bugsy does respond pretty quickly is there is an adverse effect - you can usually see it on the same day, or at the most, next day. It is good to just wait an extra day to see if it gets better or worst from there - but for him, reactions are pretty immediate and pretty drastic.... :nod:

Normally, I'd say each new protein can be offered as a full meal as a first intro, but given your particular situation, I'd push "slow". First a quarter of the food, then half the food, then three-quarters, then a whole meal.

Once a food's been introduced, it can be added to the rotation - and those foods can be rotated at every meal just like canned.
Ok.... So I guess I just use the same methodology here - the "poop-o-meter" :lol3::lol3::lol3: Measure his reaction, wait for him to get stable, increase or decrease qtys accordingly.... Cool! :nod:

Bugsy isn't going crave carbs; what MIGHT happen is that his body recognizes in the raw what it's been missing in previous foods and he may feel the need to eat a LOT to begin with. Most cats that go through this level out and start eating normally after a few weeks or so.
Ok.....

I don't know how NV calculates their "recommended" feeding amounts. Using the raw feeders calculator, Bugsy should get 7.75 ounces of food a day at his optimal weight of 16 pounds, and 9 ounces at his current weight (using 3%). Personally, I'd start with 8 ounces a day and just watch Bugsy. If his weight maintains or increases, reduce the amount by half an ounce or so, if he begins to lose weight, make sure it's no more than a couple of ounces a week, adjusting his food intake accordingly.
NV calculates also depending on how sedentary he is - which my goodness - Bugsy is the cat version of a couch potato :lol3::lol3::lol3: So I guess it might be it? :nod: Could their food be more caloric?
Here is Rabbit:
Calories
65 per oz http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/cat/rabbit
If he eats 8 oz..... I am afraid it is going to be too much calories at 520 a day? :dk: My goodness, that's a LOT of calories!
Maybe they just pack pack pack their meat when they grind it? :dk:
5.4oz = 351...... which is probably more in line with 20 calories per lb?
What do you think?

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She ate not only one, but came back and ate a second!!!!!
...​
She did not eat the last one, but continued eating her kibbles, and was not put off by it

OMG this is HUGE
She had a good size meal, and is doing good on getting on a schedule

Go Lucky! Make momma Proud!
That's awesome, Carolina! I knew the Halo would help. Whoot, whoot!!!!!
For the food temperature, I have 2 questions:
I am feeding it cold to touch - I just spread the food on the plate and that helps to bring the temperature up a bit.

I also read that bringing the temperature of the meat to a "mouse temperature" can help them to like the food better - should I just do that on a ziplock bag under warm water?

and finally, my last question:
Hope and Bugsy are not fast eaters - they like eating, moving, then eating again. Especially Bugsy - he is OCD about his mane
So he has to have it 100% clean, stoping quite a few times to have a niiiiiice bath, thinking about life..... then resuming eating.
Basically, for how long is it safe to leave the plate down with raw food, once it is served? I know that's probably a stupid question, but it is important for me to know...... If I give their time or if I push them to eat, for example.....
Thanks, and will update next meal!
Yes, you can run a ziplock bag under warm water, or soak it in a bowl of warm water. In fact, this is preferable to spreading the food out on the plate, as that makes it more difficult for them to eat (it's commonly used to slow down fast eaters).

Most of the recommendations I see suggest picking the food up after 30 minutes.

By the way - didn't you give Bugsy Halo before and he was fine? It wasn't until you fed him Stella and Chewy's that he had an issue, correct? I'd be inclined to try him again with the Halo, since it seems to be a favorite of all of them.

AC