This is going to be one for the books! Transitioning Lucky, Bugsy and Hope to Raw.... Challenges Gal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:banana1::clap::banana1::clap::banana1::clap::banana1::clap::woohoo::banana1::clap::banana1::clap::banana1::clap::banana1:
:beerpals: A GOOD day all around!! - Day 3 was a GREAT Day :beerpals:​

Yeah baby!!! Mom is starting to breathe now..... can I say............ WHEW :lol3::clap::clap::clap:

Ok...... Here is Day 3:
Bugsy and Hope are 100% off Kibbles
They are both on Schedule - a meal at 9am, one at 6pm, and the next one will be at 11 pm
I am mixing a little bit of fortiflora in the food, and sprinkling it over it for taste - I do not, by any means, use the whole package.....
Even though they do not eat the food in one sitting, they ate their breakfast quite fast today, and it didn't take much work at all, compared to yesterday, or even when they were eating 1/2 as much per meal.
They are both diarrhea free :clap::clap::clap:
Bugsy for the first time in a year and two months, has solid poop!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Hope, who was sick (stress diarrhea) - is 100% back to her old self, running around, jumping all over the place, and being the nutty kitty she is :clap::clap::clap:
Hope IS begging for kibbles........................... But Bugsy is Begging for Wet! :clap::clap::clap: (mostly when I open the Fortiflora pack, but still - he knows when I am preparing the food - and he knows yum yum dinner is coming! :lol3:)
They are now finishing their dinners, and doesn't seem it's going to take much trouble to get them licking the last drop either :cross:

Lucky
Lucky is back on ground 0 for transition....... yep - she was sick yesterday, so I had to take a step back to get my baby back on a healthy place.........
The great news is, she is back eating, and hasn't thrown up today at all :clap::clap::clap:
Yesterday she had 0 - ZERO nutrition, and the day before subpar as well, so no way I was going to push it today......
So, today has been a great day for miss Lucky too :clap::clap::clap:
She has eaten 1/4 cup of food (back on ProPlan) so far, and has kept everything down :clap::clap::clap:
I am making sure that when I am with her, I feed her out of her station, but she can also go in anytime on her own and nibble - food is available. I am also making sure she eats slowly...... I don't want her to have an upset stomach - she does throw up when she eats too fast.

There is no risk for the others, as her feeding station is microchip controlled, and currently programmed to only let her in :bigthumb: High-tech kitty :lol3:
And on the good news front, I called Pet Supplies Plus, and they agreed to exchange my bag of Nature's Variety Chicken for the Rabbit....... So in my freezer I have a big bag of NV Rabbit Patties :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
I might even start giving them all tomorrow - we will see....... I want them all to be 100%
I am so so excited!!! And relieved! Whew!
Hope they will all love the rabbit!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am getting a real kick out of this feeding station that is microchipped controlled for Lucky.... can you show a picture of this station set-up (if you can) I am curious :).

:cross: That they LOVE the NV Rabbit :nod: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: My natural food store will always take back anything that I have purchased and even opened if my cat's refuse it or I feel something is off about it. Pet Supplies Plus is great for that too. :bigthumb:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: Carolina, you can breathe again! :flail:

But seriously.... :bigthumb:

The only raw I've ever given our cats is little slices of whatever we're making, and Stella & Chewy's (thank you Lauren!!). But they do LOVE the Instinct Rabbit (canned). :nod: So :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for that, whenever you start to give them a nibble to see.... :cross:

And Lauren, are you kidding? They take back an open package? :thud: Wow - that kind of customer service is really rare these days!!!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting a real kick out of this feeding station that is microchipped controlled for Lucky.... can you show a picture of this station set-up (if you can) I am curious :).
:cross: That they LOVE the NV Rabbit :nod: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: My natural food store will always take back anything that I have purchased and even opened if my cat's refuse it or I feel something is off about it. Pet Supplies Plus is great for that too. :bigthumb:
Ok, here you go -
I created this feeding station because Lucky had a blockage and had to be fed a hairball diet, which contained chicken..... While Bugsy was allergic to chicken.... With free-fed cats, I had to have a solution.... So I got Crafty!

This is the box:

It is nothing but a litterbox furniture, but turned upside down, so the flap door could be installed - I bought it from Amazon, shipping free Merry Pet Cat House

This is the Cat flap:

It is called SureFlap, and it can also be found on Amazon - it is the greatest thing: SureFlap Cat door. Super easy to program too! Provided your kitties are microchipped, you push that button on the top, put some treats on the flap so they get their heads in there, and DONE! The door reads the chip and unlocks it. You can program to unlocked, locked, and to all your cats. Mine currently is programmed to Lucky only, even though Hope is also chipped (she used to use it too) :nod:

This is how it looks like put together - sorry for the picture quality:

There is a stepping stool on the front, as you can see.... The box, because it is up side down, it is too tall, so I put a stool for them, otherwise they wouldn't be able to reach the door.
I also affixed a stepping stool (lower in high) on the inside near the door, for the same reasons, with a glue gun.

And here is Lucky inside of it:

So, is that cool or what? :lol3: You can say Lucky is one high-tech kitty :flail:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YEP! Pet Supplies Plus is AWESOME!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: LOVE them for that :bigthumb:
You can even take your open bags or cans, and they will take it back.
I was afraid because this was raw....... but..... no trouble at all!!!!! :bigthumb::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Houston, Houston, Do you Copy? Houston, We have a Problem!

So, I defrost a patty of the rabbit raw...... and feed them - under Auntie's precise instructions, ONE, just ONE teaspoon of it, each, right in their wet food - not mixed..... just plop the dollop in there.
OOOOPS.
Bugsy says: Are you kidding me? That's ALL?
Hope says? YUMMY!!! Where is the rest?
Then they proceed to completely and absolutely ignore the rest of their wet food :thud:
They wanted none of it..... kept coming back and just looking for where the raw was..... with this huge disappointed look in their faces :shame:
"Mom, I am NOT eating this junk - BRING the MEAT N-O-W"

So.... for the sake of Bugsy eating at all, Auntie instructed me to remove 2 teaspoons from the wet, and mix in another teaspoon of the raw. This time mixing it in. So I did..... I had to sprinkle fortiflora on his food and Hope's again.....
They did eat, but I am not sure I can fool them much longer..... They LOVE it :nod: To a point that in comparison, they hate the wet - they think it is a joke :nausea:

Thing is, while that's a GREAT thing, it might not be so great when dealing with Bugsy....... Bugsy is not your regular kitty...... and I have to take it slow...... :nod: I don't want them to boycott the wet in the process either, ans I HAVE to take this slow.
So yes, this is precisely what I would call good news bad news :lol3::lol3::lol3:

I immediately cleaned all the litter boxes to make sure none of them have issues..... as if they don't, and flat out refuse the food tomorrow, I might just have to feed at least 1/2 and 1/2 raw.

Now Lucky...... Man.... she DID NOT appreciate the meat :lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3:
I started to offering her a tiny piece from my finger - nope.... this is disgusting Mo-om! :nausea:
Then I tried to put into her station - as instructed, next to her food plate/kibbles, so she would associate raw=kibbles. Backfired BIG time. She associated the kibbles/station = HORRIBLE,AWFUL stuff!
RAN so fast, not even funny!
Then, I took the halo out of the fridge :nod: She caaaarefully very meticulously :lol3: picked up the Halo treats making SURE no raw would come with it. If there was a risk, she left in there :frusty:

So, the plan is to continue offering her, but NOT in her food station, or nowhere near her food :lol3:

Oh, and on an excellent note, Lucky has eaten somewhat well today, and Hope hasn't thrown up after eating raw - she has thrown up before when she had it in the past. So this is awesome news :bigthumb:
So, here is to a very very successful taste of the carnivore experience, for Hope and Bugsy, at least :bigthumb:
Hopefully, no adverse effects will show up :cross:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...... Measurement device, AKA Litterbox :lol3: Showed what I expected - Bugsy has lose stools.
So for now, I am not increasing his raw quantities. I am proceeding with 2 Tsp per meal, for both him and Hope. He is liking his wet food THAT much better now!
This is going to be a VERY slow transition - Tsp by TSP. Gets better, add one TSP. Gets worst, wait on it.
Hope had totally normal stools, so that's the great news :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hopefully this is not going to turn into a full blown diarrhea - just soft poop..... I will see. He LOVES the stuff, so I definitely want to proceed transitioning him..... but with him, has to be on his own pace.
And yes, he is on 2 probiotics........ plus the Fortiflora for seasoning.... so he is taken care of there.
Cross your fingers that he adjusts fast ! :cross:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: :flail: :flail: I am sorry, but you had me cracking up the way you wrote it all!

And man, they sure like to keep us on our toes, don't they? :lol3:

GREAT that Hope and Bugsy love it so much! At least you don't have to worry about THAT hurdle! :clap:

BUMMER that now they don't want the wet food! :flail:

GREAT that Hope has normal poop! BUMMER that Bugsy does not!

:flail:

Truly, this is the "Good news, Bad news" thread! :flail:

And Lucky? Well... she's just making up her own rules. :lol3: But in the end, I'm sure your determination will pay off! :bigthumb:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Bugsy's system to adjust and that solid poop to return! And :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Lucky to at least begin adjusting to timed meals ( :lol3: ), let alone associate raw food as FOOD... and :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for momma, that this all doesn't give her an embolism or something! :hugs: :) :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES of the feeding station. :thud: THAT IS TOTALLY :cool:. My cat's are all microchipped and I think that is just AMAZING!!!!! :flail: It look's like Lucky is going off to the moon in a spaceship :flail:....... So when Lucky was INSIDE of the feeding box and the door was closed (in that picture), how does she get out? Does that open back up for her to leave? Does the door shut when they go inside behind them? Don't they panic about that? Sorry for the questions. I am just very interested in this invention :hyper: :lol3:

AND YAY for more progress on your transitioning to raw. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I had a feeling your kitties would LOVE the NV raw rabbit :nod:. My cat's go crazy for raw meat too. I only offer it as a treat right now - the NV raw meat's. But they always want more and are constantly looking for it. How this raw "snacking" started for me was due to my Wilbur baby :heart3: dog. I am incorporating some raw "cat" food into his diet :lol3: AND all of the cat's would crowd around as I would hand feed Wilbur - so I thought - OK - here you go try some. I offer them tiny bites. It is a riot. They are all sitting around in a circle waiting for their turn, Wilbur included :flail:

:cross: For continued great success :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: AND NICELY FORMED POOPS from Bugsy :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am sorry, but you had me cracking up the way you wrote it all!

And man, they sure like to keep us on our toes, don't they?

GREAT that Hope and Bugsy love it so much! At least you don't have to worry about THAT hurdle!

BUMMER that now they don't want the wet food!

Truly, this is the "Good news, Bad news" thread!

And Lucky? Well... she's just making up her own rules.
But in the end, I'm sure your determination will pay off!

for Bugsy's system to adjust and that solid poop to return! And
for Lucky to at least begin adjusting to timed meals (
), let alone associate raw food as FOOD... and
for momma, that this all doesn't give her an embolism or something!
  Plus I have the same question that Lauren had on how Lucky gets OUT of her feeding station once she's in.  She DOES look like she's ready for take-off in a space ship in that picture
.  Too cute.

Oh yeah.  Did I sleep thru an entire day?  Is it Saturday already?  Gosh, and I had plans for Friday night!  (I thought the raw wasn't going to start until Saturday...was that just me misreading again??!!)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES of the feeding station. :thud: THAT IS TOTALLY :cool:. My cat's are all microchipped and I think that is just AMAZING!!!!! :flail: Haha - you should seen me trying to explain this contraption to my mom - she lives in Brazil, in the middle of the jungle. Sure, with all the city stuff around her - but for the life of her, she does not understand the concept of a microchip. Then to tell her I have something installed in my cat's head to open the door for her feeding station - :wow: Right out of a science fiction movie :lol3: It look's like Lucky is going off to the moon in a spaceship :flail:....... gotta buy her a hat - safety first! :lol3: So when Lucky was INSIDE of the feeding box and the door was closed (in that picture), how does she get out? This is a smart door - it has a lock on the bottom, that is kept with a magnet. On the top, the chip reader. Once the reader scans the chip, it disables the magnet, and the lock falls - so the kitty can push the door open with the head. This lock is on an angle..... so it only locks to get in - it is always open to get out..... All she has to do is push her head when she is inside the box, and she has free access. This prevents them to get locked inside boxes, rooms, or homes - at the same time that allows controlled access in. Training consists of teaching them to open a flap door - they need to know how to go through a flap - push it with their heads.... It also has a minor click, that can startle some.... But they learn quickly that the click means the door is open. Yes, the door closes/locks behind them so no other cat can get in. You can program how quickly that happens too :bigthumb: This is a GREAT door for in and out cats, so only YOUR cats can come into the house - plus no surprise creatures, like racoons, and such :lol3: :nod: Does that open back up for her to leave? Does the door shut when they go inside behind them? Don't they panic about that? Nope, no panic at all.... They actually feel pretty safe about eating quietly and knowing nobody will bother them/get to their food :nod: Sorry for the questions. I am just very interested in this invention :hyper: :lol3: no problem!! :clap::clap::clap:
AND YAY for more progress on your transitioning to raw. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I had a feeling your kitties would LOVE the NV raw rabbit :nod:. My cat's go crazy for raw meat too. I only offer it as a treat right now - the NV raw meat's. But they always want more and are constantly looking for it. How this raw "snacking" started for me was due to my Wilbur baby :heart3: dog. I am incorporating some raw "cat" food into his diet :lol3: AND all of the cat's would crowd around as I would hand feed Wilbur - so I thought - OK - here you go try some. I offer them tiny bites. It is a riot. They are all sitting around in a circle waiting for their turn, Wilbur included :flail:
:cross: For continued great success :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: AND NICELY FORMED POOPS from Bugsy :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you :hugs: You are lucky that they all love it!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I believe it's pretty darn tasty stuff - because Fortiflora was the "it" thing overhere..... and it got completely ignored immediately once meat was served :lol3::lol3::lol3: They just kept walking back and forth to their plates with the most disappointed looks..... :wait::Kitty Food: I could say it was funny.... but gee..... It put me in a tight and "raw" corner :lol3::lol3::lol3:

:flail: :flail: :flail: I am sorry, but you had me cracking up the way you wrote it all!
And man, they sure like to keep us on our toes, don't they? :lol3:
GREAT that Hope and Bugsy love it so much! At least you don't have to worry about THAT hurdle! :clap:
BUMMER that now they don't want the wet food! :flail:
:flail:
Truly, this is the "Good news, Bad news" thread! :flail:
And Lucky? Well... she's just making up her own rules. :lol3: But in the end, I'm sure your determination will pay off! :bigthumb: Yep, Miss Lucky is a princess, the ruler of the house, and she knows it! :winner:
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Bugsy's system to adjust and that solid poop to return! And :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Lucky to at least begin adjusting to timed meals ( :lol3: ), let alone associate raw food as FOOD... and :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for momma, that this all doesn't give her an embolism or something! :hugs: :) :lol3: :lol3: Yeah Let's hope, Like I told Auntie, I, myself, don't endup with a stress diarrhea or an UTI :flail:

:yeah:   Plus I have the same question that Lauren had on how Lucky gets OUT of her feeding station once she's in.  She DOES look like she's ready for take-off in a space ship in that picture :) .  Too cute. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Oh yeah.  Did I sleep thru an entire day?  Is it Saturday already?  Gosh, and I had plans for Friday night!  (I thought the raw wasn't going to start until Saturday...was that just me misreading again??!!) :lol3: well........ nope, you didn't sleep through it...... They were just doing exceptionally well yesterday...... and I had the bag of food sending me these beautiful raw waves from the freezer........... and I just-couldn't wait! :lol3::lol3::lol3: I had to try it! :hyper: :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, here you go -
I created this feeding station because Lucky had a blockage and had to be fed a hairball diet, which contained chicken..... While Bugsy was allergic to chicken.... With free-fed cats, I had to have a solution.... So I got Crafty!

This is the box:

It is nothing but a litterbox furniture, but turned upside down, so the flap door could be installed - I bought it from Amazon, shipping free Merry Pet Cat House

This is the Cat flap:

It is called SureFlap, and it can also be found on Amazon - it is the greatest thing: SureFlap Cat door. Super easy to program too! Provided your kitties are microchipped, you push that button on the top, put some treats on the flap so they get their heads in there, and DONE! The door reads the chip and unlocks it. You can program to unlocked, locked, and to all your cats. Mine currently is programmed to Lucky only, even though Hope is also chipped (she used to use it too) :nod:

This is how it looks like put together - sorry for the picture quality:

There is a stepping stool on the front, as you can see.... The box, because it is up side down, it is too tall, so I put a stool for them, otherwise they wouldn't be able to reach the door.
I also affixed a stepping stool (lower in high) on the inside near the door, for the same reasons, with a glue gun.

And here is Lucky inside of it:

So, is that cool or what? :lol3: You can say Lucky is one high-tech kitty :flail:
That is ingenious! Did you have to enlarge the door in the litter furniture, or did the cat flap snap right in?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is ingenious! Did you have to enlarge the door in the litter furniture, or did the cat flap snap right in?
Thanks! :clap:
Excellent question - not at all - very easy to install too..... The only extra thing I had to get was this:

It is basically an adaptor to install the door on glass or metal doors. It comes with two rings, one for the inside, and one for the outside - no need to have any surface in between them to install it/screw onto it - you use it to create a fictitious wall of sorts :nod:
Because the opening was an odd shape - on the sides, it would not fit both screws in the opening nor both screws outside of it - the rings allowed me to move it a bit to one side and place the screw through the wood. On the other side, it is straight through the rings. On the bottom, it just rests flat on the door opening. There was some space left on top, but the ring closes it nicely.
(you can see where the screws are on the this picture, to the left of Lucky's head - they have a nice little cover...

The only tools I needed were a power screw driver..... and this attachment ring, which was not expensive - around $15. :nod:
As I said before, I did use a glue gun for the internal stepping stool.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Opsy! I lied! I totally forgot!!!! A friend of mine had told me to use Gorilla Glue instead of the glue Gun! :lol3: That's what I usedfor the stepping stool! :doh3:
That's stuff is amazing!! :clap:
The glue gun I used for my wall shelves...... Ok! So there you have it - Gorilla Glue..... One less tool! :clap:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hi: Day 4 Report!! :hi:​

Hello peeps!

We had a good day today! :clap::clap::clap:
Minor set back with Lucky, but she is way, way better than 2 days ago, so that is a huge relief :bigthumb:

As you probably read, the day started with a not at all surprising "gift" per se in the litterbox - Bugsy had big time soft poop. I thought... Oh boy.... the S*** has hit the fan! :doh3:
Hope's poop on the other hand was perfect!
And so was Lucky...... but she is not on raw so that is a given - at least I know she is not Blocked! :bigthumb:

To the kitchen I go to make their breakfast - ALL three waiting.... MOM HURRY!
Bugsy and Hope:
I decided for the time being, to leave the same raw ratio as yesterday - 2 teaspoons for each, and not increase, to see how Bugsy does throughout the day..... So that's what I did.
I also started putting less water in their food (I blend it with water, Bugsy's supplements, etc in a personal smoothie maker).... So it was much thicker than before. I am also cutting down on the fortiflora now so they can really feel the taste of the raw. Instead of just plopping a dollop in it, I am mixing the raw in the food :nod:
They both ate breakfast well, without too much trouble.

Same goes for the dinner meal......
I still need to move their plates around a couple of times when they get distracted and stop eating, but it is getting a LOT, LOT easier. :nod: They are eating way faster now that they are on a schedule and not being fed kibbles.
It was funny when I went to check on Hope's plate....I thought I was going to have to move yet again.... There were 3 little pieces left - I thought... ok, I will pick it up and give it to Bugsy.... It was 3 little pieces of bones :lol3::lol3::lol3: That was all that was left - girl had licked the plate clean! :clap::clap::clap:

For the third meal, they were not so sure..... That's when I saw that I will have to do something about increasing the raw ratio...... as they are not too convinced about this business of a little raw mixed into a lot of wet
All the great work of reducing the Fortiflora during the day........ gone on the last meal - it took me keeping sprinkling it over their food otherwise they would not eat it ::disa: I am not sprinkling much.... very very lightly..... but still - I want none in there. :nod:

I had to give Bugsy a small treat of raw once today - I gave a few halo treats to Lucky (will explain why later) and he came running, desperate for some :( So I pulled the raw and gave him a little bit, as a treat, off my fingers..... He loves it - wouldn't kill for it, like he does with Halo, but loves it! :clap::clap::clap:

On a very good note, the poop this morning was the only one for the day :bigthumb: so I will not qualify this as a diarrhea, just as soft poop. I will check the "poop testing device" tomorrow morning and see if it is better.... if it is, the raw is increasing - probably doubling :nod:
On another interesting note, even though Bugsy is very sedentary, he was caught playing a whole lot with Lucky today :clap::clap::clap: There was a lot of running around and playing catch - he is definitely more active since this change to wet only. Probably because he is hungry :lol3:
Now onto Lucky:
Lucky continues to eat better and better, she is on the mends :bigthumb:
She has also been calling me a LOT and waiting for me to eat, which has been a convenient way to naturally push her towards a schedule :nod:
She did have a minor set back today..... She regurgitated her dinner - there was a small hairball in it, however, I am not sure if the problem was that, or, she does that sometimes when she eats too much too fast at once.
I gave her a few Halo Freeze Dry treats soon after, and she held it up. She also got another dose of vaseline.
She did eat another meal after that, and she held it just fine :bigthumb:
She is definitely not blocked, she is not throwing up constantly, and she is eating well..... So I am inclined to think this was really a fluke.

I did offer her a bit of raw in my finger, to which she made her "OMG, this is disgusting" face
She will be a looooong process, I tell ya. Girl is missing out too, which is sad :(
For now, I will continue to work on her schedule, since she is eating well..... Then I will have to find a way to get raw into her.... is there a magic pill for that? :lol3:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 5 :clap::clap::clap:

We are having a great start so far :clap::clap::clap:
There was no poop yet on any on the litterboxes, which is not to say it won't be there...... but it is a good sign nonetheless - no urgency :bigthumb:
No, pick up a notch we must, and we did!
Now 1/3 of breakfast was raw! :clap::clap::clap::clap: and guess what? NO FORTIFLORA yey! :woohoo:
They ate to the last bite :woohoo:
Lucky had a good breakfast with me, and hasn't thrown up - but apparently she regrets having too little, as she is still begging for me to go back there...... for which I am not giving in. :nono: She knows there is foon in the station, and with me, only on schedule! :nod:

Well, lets hope there is no ill effects from the raw increase today :cross:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent update, Carolina!

That's frustrating about Lucky and her tummy / hairball issues. The catch 22 there is that she isn't likely to get over them until she's off the kibble. BUT, as we've discussed, you'll know when she's ready for the next step.

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching this unfold day by day!

AC

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, So.... Bugsy's poop is very soft, softer than normal, but formed, and nothing that would worry me or throw me off..... Just what I would expect with any food transition..... I am proceeding with the 1/3 raw 2/3 wet for the next 2 meals for the day :nod:

I did find a little vomit with a little hairball in it - thought it was Lucky's and got immediately worried :paranoid: Definitely not hers - there were all these little pieces of bone in it..... and evidently Lucky doesn't eat raw..... So this was either Hope or Bugsy - don't know who, as I was sleeping. It was not a lot either - a little hairball, lots of tiny bones, and some liquid - the food had been digested, definitely did not throw up a meal.....
Now my question is...... are these pieces of bone getting stuck? Can they cause a blockage with the hairballs if enough of them get in there? Or they will throw them up before that happen? :paranoid:

Excellent update, Carolina! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That's frustrating about Lucky and her tummy / hairball issues. The catch 22 there is that she isn't likely to get over them until she's off the kibble. BUT, as we've discussed, you'll know when she's ready for the next step. :nod: :clap: :heart3:

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching this unfold day by day! :lol3:   :bigthumb:

AC
Thanks for the support Auntie :hugs:
She does get over them, and she does get better though...... I know Raw will be better for her - no doubt.... but I also know that one year ago she had a blockage and ProPlan, as nasty as it might be, has kept her problem in check. She does not throw up hairball all the time, or every day, or every week, or every month. This is not a regular thing for her. But at this right moment, it happens that she has a hairball issue. Before Proplan, she would cough and hack quite often - after proplan, the hair is found on the poop, and no coughing/hacking.... So yeah.... nasty..... but for her - so far, for a whole year, it has been working.
I also don't know if that second regurgitation was simply for eating too fast - and that can happen to any cat, eating any food - kibbles, wet, or raw. She is knows to do that, hairball or not... I try to make her eat slower.....
How do I know that Proplan works for her? Simple - I see hairball in her poop, she no longer hacks/cough, and very rarely, passes a hairball - in fact, I have not seen one since she started on the food, a year ago.
She is getting better - 4 days ago her appetite was low. 3 days ago, everything she ate, she threw up - everything. 2 days ago, she ate and kept all down..... Yesterday she had one regurgitation - which could be due to eating too fast..... but ate well.... And today, she has eaten very well, and has kept all down.
Again, no doubt raw is going to make her system better..... no doubt she will be better on raw.... But to say that she likely won't get better unless she is on raw... To me that is not precise..... She has done before and is doing now.
I can't wait for herto go on raw though - she is, no doubt, missing out big time :nod:

Last edited: