This is getting really old!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh - used to get obscene calls on my land lines in various places where I lived. I used various techniques to turn them off, usually threatening to call the cops, have the call traced, etc, without getting angry and raising my voice. Also talking in a patronizing manner, like, wow, you must be a very said and lonely person, why don't you just take your own life and save us and yourself all this misery.

I don't know what to tell you about the cell phone. Who is your provider? Try contacting the FCC to see what federal rules govern this sort of thing and threaten the service provider if they don't help you. I don't like sermonizing from the Book of Threats, but sometimes, you just have to.

PS - cops don't take this stuff seriously because you haven't been attacked. But it is a form of violation.

And I do love the airhorn idea!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I had an ex-boyfriend who was making harassing calls. This is how I took care of it.

If I'm not mistaken, harassing phone calls are a Federal offence (FCC.) Call the police and make a statement. Get the complaint number, so you can reference it. Ask the police for the number of the harassment call bureau. Call the harassment call bureau, give them your phone number and the police complaint number. They will put a tap on your line for incoming calls. Keep a log of any calls that come in. I think they keep the tap on your line for two weeks. You don't have to worry about privacy, as they do not tape the actual calls...just the numbers of the calls which come in. It won't matter if the caller is using a restricted number, the harassment call bureau will be able to trace the call. I've used their service several times. I do admit, I used the service before cell phones were as popular as they are now. I would imagine that they'd be able to trace them also. Good luck!
My daughter was getting obscene phone calls several years ago and we did the same thing, except we did not use the harassment bureau that you are talking about.

This is what we did. We went to the police statement and they made a report, then I came home and called the phone company and gave them the report number. They did put a tap on her line and kept it, then the police called the phone company and got the phone numbers that were calling her. The police narrowed the phone calls down, and got it touch with the boy who was doing it. After they talked to him and told him he could spend time in jail, he never called her again.

I hope you get this resolved dixiedarlin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

My daughter was getting obscene phone calls several years ago and we did the same thing, except we did not use the harassment bureau that you are talking about.

This is what we did. We went to the police statement and they made a report, then I came home and called the phone company and gave them the report number. They did put a tap on her line and kept it, then the police called the phone company and got the phone numbers that were calling her. The police narrowed the phone calls down, and got it touch with the boy who was doing it. After they talked to him and told him he could spend time in jail, he never called her again.

I hope you get this resolved dixiedarlin
I've reported it to the police twice now.
I called the phone company and they said "All we can do is offer to change your phone number for a one time fee of $5.00"

They've called several times today. I just pick up and hand up. And they call right back

scampersmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That happened to me a few years ago, only they were threats to my life from some evil girls at my high school... I changed my number, but I wish I had done the whistle thing... YOU SHOULD SO DO THAT!