This Food Sounds Good Except...

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123807
http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125109

The two bigger posts on the differences between all the grain frees (some have undergone some formula changes recently so info may not be completely up to date)
Yeah, I think I have seen most, if not all, the posts regarding the "which is better" debate. What prompted my question was that so many people seem to think Orijen is just fabulously better than anything else available. I was expecting (hoping?) some of those people would post something like "Orijen is obviously a better food than EVO because ...".

I know that some believe Orijen to be better for UT health but the first thread above shows there is disagreement on that.

I think I'm not making clear it is the "over the top" reaction to Orijen that has me befuddled. And I don't mean the people who like it just because their cats like it. I mean people who have never even tried it and bemoan the fact that it isn't readily available in the US.

Maybe I'm just making too much of it ...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Yeah, I think I have seen most, if not all, the posts regarding the "which is better" debate. What prompted my question was that so many people seem to think Orijen is just fabulously better than anything else available. I was expecting (hoping?) some of those people would post something like "Orijen is obviously a better food than EVO because ...".

I know that some believe Orijen to be better for UT health but the first thread above shows there is disagreement on that.

I think I'm not making clear it is the "over the top" reaction to Orijen that has me befuddled. And I don't mean the people who like it just because their cats like it. I mean people who have never even tried it and bemoan the fact that it isn't readily available in the US.

Maybe I'm just making too much of it ...
Not too much .. you just need more info ...lol.. Zoey loved it thou it will be very hard for me to get ... I Like it over EVO in many ways but the UTI sealed it thou I am not happy about a every changing formula ... All the potato grain frees have the draw back of seeing HIGHER insidence of diabetes( thou in some it cures it go figure) tummy issues ( EVO is the top in that) causeing UTI issues ( orijen and serengetti seem not to )

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bazkitty

How does Orijen compare to Serengeti in your opinion?
Serengeti is what I have been feeding since the end of March I believe. I like it and the babes like it. I have not tried Orijen but considered it at one time. I decided against it mainly on the fact I could not get a good enough deal on it online. But as for ingredients in both well they look alright to me. Plus they both are grain free which is a big plus.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Not too much .. you just need more info ...lol.. Zoey loved it thou it will be very hard for me to get ... I Like it over EVO in many ways but the UTI sealed it thou I am not happy about a every changing formula ... All the potato grain frees have the draw back of seeing HIGHER insidence of diabetes( thou in some it cures it go figure) tummy issues ( EVO is the top in that) causeing UTI issues ( orijen and serengetti seem not to )
I'd be interested in your source of information. I've never read anyplace about higher rates of diabetes and UTI with grain frees that include potato.

Do your sources specifically call out EVO, Orijen and Serengetti as having or not having these problems?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I'd be interested in your source of information. I've never read anyplace about higher rates of diabetes and UTI with grain frees that include potato.

Do your sources specifically call out EVO, Orijen and Serengetti as having or not having these problems?
talking with vets ... mine and others in the area ... EVO can increase UTI issues this is from area vets holistic and NON ... as my vet says she recomend s EVO unless there is a UTI history ( note none have been on the market long enough to really know long term effects ).... Potato s are supect in higher diabetes in cats ( read a few studies that were not just grain free
) ..

By Numbers ie % only Orijen passes the UTI freindly test ... in regards to total ash and mag levels .. the CA+ and phos are a bit high ...

It comes down to knowledge and reading and asking lots of ??? NOT from the Companys and to the companys ( NOTE still waiting for a ingrediant call from orijen

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I said before, I think much of that has to do with the fact they have their owm manufacturing plant and were not involved at all with menufoods.

Other reasons I have heard are that Evo has garlic, is higher in fat, lower in Omega-3 (I haven't checked recently but Omega-6 was not stated on their website for), has a lower guaranteed taurine level (by.5%) and is higher in calories per cup (which means although you are feeding less, you are feeding an even lower amount of the above nutrients etc as you feed less food)

At least up here, Orijen is more cost effective to feed also. Evo can be very expensive depending on where you buy it, there is a $15 (plus taxes) difference in the cost of a large bag of Evo and Orijen where I live.

I still think, however, that Evo is a good food compared to many.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere (and I will try to find the link) that low carb foods were diabetes friendly as the less carbohydrate 'fillers', which are stored as sugars, the better the body absorbs the nutients that it needs to live and improves insulin resistence. However, the higher fat content can lead to the nutients not being absorbed fully, particularly during the change over period and when switching from a low grade filler type food.

I haven't however read anything that states potato as the problem.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky, Orijen got back to me, the ingredients on their website are correct, but zea mays is the silvery stuff on the inside of corn leaves not the actual corn and is considered a botanical not a grain.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sharky, Orijen got back to me, the ingredients on their website are correct, but zea mays is the silvery stuff on the inside of corn leaves not the actual corn and is considered a botanical not a grain.
Ie commonly called in the herbal world CORN SILK ... it is a great herb and I will detail it later

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I read somewhere (and I will try to find the link) that low carb foods were diabetes friendly as the less carbohydrate 'fillers', which are stored as sugars, the better the body absorbs the nutients that it needs to live and improves insulin resistence. However, the higher fat content can lead to the nutients not being absorbed fully, particularly during the change over period and when switching from a low grade filler type food.

I haven't however read anything that states potato as the problem.
Potato the russet or white ELEVATES the blood sugar rapidly ... Yes in some cases it work s great for a control from a higher starch level food ... Sweet potato does NOT elevate

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Ie commonly called in the herbal world CORN SILK ... it is a great herb and I will detail it later
thanks, if you go back to my post where I quoted he said that many of the 'changes' were just to names to satisfy the AAFCO and similar governing bodies in other countries

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

thanks, if you go back to my post where I quoted he said that many of the 'changes' were just to names to satisfy the AAFCO and similar governing bodies in other countries
Missed that but it makes sense/// I just wanted the common name so folks can look it up.. Thank you for clarifying