Thinking Of Getting A Kitten

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Between you wanting a really clean house and you and your husband both having cat allergies, I’m also questioning why you are considering getting a cat versus, say, a “cat-sized” lap dog. There are several small breed dogs which have “hair” rather than fur, so they don’t shed and are fairly hypoallergenic. Also, no litter box (although a tiny dog can be trained to use pee pads taped in a cat box), no tracked litter all over the floor. Dogs don’t scratch up the upholstery, so no thick blankets thrown over the furniture.

I hate to be on a cat site, recommending a dog, but I do have both and from what you’ve written, I think you may be better off with a dog. If you do decide to get a cat, we’re certainly here to help you with any issues.
I also agree with this. I have a small dog and HE is LOW maintenance compared to a cat.
If I had my phone, I could upload pictures of my broken door frame, lol. And ripped screen door... And ripped cat carriers.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looking back to before I adopted Saipha, I remember some of the expectations I had and how almost none of them really worked out because cats are individuals and you really do have to compromise and work with them. For example, I thought I'd make my desk off limits because I didn't want her knocking things off or sitting on my computer. After a few months of attempting to correct her behavior, I gave up and put a box on my desk. She happily claimed it and now sits in it to watch me work.

Another example: she and my roommate's cat never managed to get along, so I figured I'd keep her in my bedroom long term. Saipha, however, turned out to be a shadow kitty - she follows me like my shadow and always wants to be in the same room as me. Being confined to my bedroom made her very stressed, and she would just sit and meow for hours at the door. I ended up moving out to another apartment so she could have full run of the place, and she's so much happier.

The point I'm trying to get across is that you will end up making adjustments. Your home will be your cat's home too. If you do end up getting a cat, you will have to be flexible. They are like toddlers and you will have to clean up messes occasionally. None of this is to scare you away from getting a cat - it was one of the best decisions I've ever made - but hopefully this helps you set reasonable expectations.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The point I'm trying to get across is that you will end up making adjustments. Your home will be your cat's home too. If you do end up getting a cat, you will have to be flexible. They are like toddlers and you will have to clean up messes occasionally. None of this is to scare you away from getting a cat - it was one of the best decisions I've ever made - but hopefully this helps you set reasonable expectations.
They really are amazing creatures, from somebody who's completely totally lost her heart to one, then another, then another...

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what you said you don't sound like you're prepared for a cat and don't seem to have realistic expectations. However, only you can decide what is best for your family. Some points you may consider:

• Cats are not low maintenance. Especially if they are kept as a solitary companion (no other cats). Do you have at least two spare hours a day to give?
  • Cats have emotional/psychological needs.
  • Cats have a very very strong need to hunt, they are predators and if kept indoors you need to be the one to fill their need for hunting through play and exercise. Every. Single. Day.
  • I would say about 80% of cats can't stand young children; cats are easily spooked and children are loud and unpredictable.
  • If you only want the animal to stay in one room - do you really want a pet at all? Seriously think about it. Most people let their cats roam through the entire house and they're free to go wherever they please. This has its reasons; a cat is a family member.
Cats can be amazing family pets and great best friends for kids while they grow up, but this is when the cat is well adjusted and without behavioral problems. If you can't meet the needs of this cat that can lead to behavioral problems and that isn't pleasant for anyone.

Suggestions:
  • Rethink
  • Offer free roam through the entire house to ensure the cat gets some physical and mental stimulation daily
  • Adopt an older cat that is known to be patient with children
  • Get two kittens instead of one so that they have eachother for mental and physical stimulation
  • Look up how to introduce a cat to your home when you bring them home
This is - should be - such a fun expierence, if done right. Good luck!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They really are amazing creatures, from somebody who's completely totally lost her heart to one, then another, then another...
They really are amazing. It's so wonderful coming home every day to two furry beings who are so excited to see you. Saipha insists on being picked up so she can head-butt me and smoosh her face into mine. Mishka races around in excitement and chirps nonstop. And every morning, I get to wake up to one fuzzy lump around my head and another who bounds up for cuddles and pets as soon as she sees I'm awake. :lovecat:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest to reconsider your reasons for wanting a kitten or cat. Remember that once you have it, this is a 15 or 20 year commitment. I'm 25 and I may be caring for these pets every day of my life until I am 45 years old. It's a big commitment. What if your expectations are not met? Are you willing to be flexible? Can you compromise? What happens to the kitten if things don't go as planned? What if after months and months of trying, the kitten still will not stay off of the counters and furniture? What if you try to contain it in one room and it meows loudly all night or starts developing negative behaviors because it doesn't want to be confined? What if your allergies are still too bad?

There are a lot of what if's that I think you need to think about. You can't control a cat. I already tried once, it doesn't work. But if you have a plan for when things don't work out the way you want them too (because it almost always happens that way) then a cat can be a great pet.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do have your heart set on a cat, just keep in mind, Siberians get big. And I mean BIG. My 10 month old part Siberian is already the size of my Miniature Schnauzer and weighs 13 lbs. And she's still a kitten. Make sure you get a cat tree that is sturdy. And a larger than normal litter box.

I do agree that you should reconsider a kitten as your first cat. Even with kitten-proofing, my house is now a wreck. I can't tell you the things they (2 kittens) have broke or ripped. And don't expect to get any decent sleep with a kitten, it's not happening.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all once again. Let me first say, I'm not new to pets. All my life, we've had a dog. Now that I'm older I have 3 dogs. 2 Labradors and 1 maltipoo. Our dogs are outdoor pets. We attempted once bringing in and having our maltipoo indoors but that didn't work out. Because maltipoos are known to be low shedders we attempted living with him indoors but the loud barks and constant whining, had my husband up all night and very tired the next day for work. Plus the huge mess the next morning with the poo and pee on the floor and all over its paws. So now our maltipoo is outdoors with our 2 labradors and he has never been happier. They are all the best of friends and they can freely go potty as needed. Our dogs have access to our garage and sleep there nightly so, they are very comfortable.
As for a cat, my sister got one last year and my oldest daughter wants nothing more than to have a kitten now. Since our bedrooms are going to be off limits to a cat, and they don't whine and bark all night, we have been considering getting a cat. I don't know what to expect as I have never owned a cat. Growing up we never had pets indoors. Now that I have my own, I can make the rules ;) I'm sure we will have to make an adjustment/compromise with allowing a cat inside our home but I'm also sure that it's all worth it at the end of the day:yess: Based on what I've seen so far with my sister owning a cat, it looks like a breeze. Dogs are a lot messier. With the drooling, constant shedding, needing to be taken out to potty, all the more I think a cat is lower maintenance. However, since my dogs our outdoors it is very low maintenance for me.
All in all i know it's a commitment and I would need to sacrifice and make adjustments if we bring a cat home.
Are there any first time cat owners here who can give there input? For the member who has a Siberian, what is your experience with caring for one?
Thanks again everyone!! :hellocomputer:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description it seems like you and your family really aren't "animal people." IMHO I don't believe dogs should be kept outdoors and confined to a garage. "Outdoor pets" should be a things of the past and most shelters won't allow you to adopt an animal if you plan to keep it as an "outdoor pet." If you can't handle having a dog in your home and you kicked it out of your house and keep them all outside, I can only imagine you would do the exact same thing to a cat.

I don't think you should have any animals at all and I feel very bad for your dogs. Please don't get a cat. I can't figure out why your family would even have animals if you keep them outside. I guess having a clean house is more important than the animal's wellbeing, and if that's the case, please don't get any more animals. They will only be an inconvenience just like the poor dogs.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the member who has a Siberian, what is your experience with caring for one?
Other than normal kitten stuff, ie.. absolute terror, there is a lot of combing. Also, I have to supersize everything. Her food intake is comparable to a lion. lol. Siberians grow until they are 4 yrs old, mine is only part and in yet another growth spurt, which means more food. You need a lot of room for these guys.
I have 2 dogs that don't shed, but even with constant combing/brushing, she makes up for them.

If you do decide on a kitten, use only non-clumping litter until it is 12 weeks old. You don't need a vet bill for intestinal impaction. Also, even though it may be your only cat, be sure to get it fixed. Not doing so can cause health issues and/or cancer. If it is male, be sure he has access to lots of water and canned food, or he can get crystals in his bladder/urethra. (another big vet bill) Can happen in females, but most prominent in males.

And just an FYI, don't think they won't scream their heads off or claw your door if it's shut. Just ask any cat owner about closed doors and cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing about this site, people are very good about providing lots of information and insight - even if it's a bit difficult to hear/read. You're most certainly in the right place regarding folks who have an incredible amount of love for their cats and other pets (I'm pretty sure I saw someone mention a boa just a few days ago). In any case I have confidence that you'll make the right decision based on everything you're getting here. If you don't mind me asking, what type/breed of cat does your sister have?

mimica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I've heard siberians are VERY large cats and it's no surprise if they get up to 20 lbs in weight. Every cat is different and although we make adjustments for our animals, they too make adjustments and know how far they can go with each individual. All of God's creatures are blessings and in each one He puts His love.
My sis owns a short hair tabby. He is the most loving sweet kitten and pretty large for his age. He has his special room and when she's home he is free to walkabout, which is how I plan to do it with our cat.
After holding him, I hardly ever see a single hair on me. Then again, he is a short hair cat. Many breeders I've talked to said that although Siberians are long haired, surprisingly they don't shed constantly and that a couple times in the year they lose a good amount of there coat. Of course brushing them daily will ensure that cat hair isn't all around the house. I've got a lot of great information here since joining :clap2:Thanks again :hellocomputer:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First time cat owner of a kitten I adopted at 4.5 months old (now 9 months) I wouldn't really consider her low maintenance - not high maintenance, though. Maybe medium. My betta fish was low maintenance. My brother's childhood turtle was, as well. Something that can stay contained and doesn't need regular vet visits.

Reading this site I have realized how incredibly lucky I am with my kitty. She doesn't scratch or bite, doesn't claw the furniture, stays off the counters (though that's probably more likely due to the fact that I can't keep my counters decluttered and have to shift stuff around when I want to cook than anything else), uses the litterbox, etc, but she's still pretty independent and does what she wants. And there are no guarantees that the kitten would be like Lelia. Just look at the behavior forums to see all the questions about issues with aggression, litterbox misuse, etc. And then what would happen to kitty if he did have issues? Declawing? :confused2: Being put outside? Sent to a shelter?

Getting my cat was one of the best decisions I ever made. She makes my heart happy. But you have to earn your love with a cat and definitely be ready for anything.

Last edited:

mimica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lari, Thank you. I'm so glad you replied. Your kitten sounds just like my sisters. She really got blessed with a well behaved, gentle, trusting, affectionate cat. It also depends on the owner i think, too. If you give too much, they take and dominate the home. It's like children. If you allow them to do whatever they please, they will do just that. That's why i think so many owners own the title of "My cat owns my house" instead of the owner rightfully claiming that title. I think as pet owners if you don't do that at the forefront, you are in for trouble and behavioral problems. Thanks for referring me to the behavior forums. I'll have a look. :salam::hellocomputer: