Thinking Of Getting A Kitten

mimica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are considering buying a siberian kitten. This would be our very first cat and very first pet indoors, so I don't know what to expect having a pet indoors. I consider our home very clean. We don't even allow shoes in our house. What should I expect if we decide on bringing a kitten home? How much maintenance is required? I am worried about after they use the bathroom, I would be the kind of person that would make sure to clean them right after they are done. We don't have carpet at all in our home but I do vacuum weekly to ensure dust is vacuumed up. Will we need to sanitize the floors often with a cat? I don't want this to be an overwhelming experience. Is a cat very low maintenance? I know they are considered very clean so this is why I'm considering a cat. What are your opinions and advice? Thank you in advance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! First, a cat can be such a wonderful experience! Thanks for coming here. You'll have some shedding, I'm not sure how you'll feel if she gets on kitchen counters so that might be more the place to keep clean (I use original dawn and then wipe again with water so any soap residue doesn't get on my guys feet. You will likely have hairballs that get thrown up, which are admittedly gross but you're ahead of me as I still have carpet lol. As long as your new baby has a food diet her tummy is happy with you shouldn't have too much trouble with upset reactions. Regarding maintenance, she's growing so feed her as much as she wants, use ceramic bowls and dishes, clean these daily, fresh water daily, and frequent brushing. I'm almost envious Siberians are awesome! That's all I'm going to throw at you now, there'll be other folks chiming in, and you can always ask for more details.
Edit; and depending on the type of box, have two boxes and clean them daily. I do my guys' once a day, --one big cat, 3 boxes the third one is just in case I don't get there as soon as I should.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely use clumping litter and keep it 3 inches deep. You scoop out all the pee and poop, the litter surrounds it and clumps, so the rest of the litter remains clean for a month. You don't have to bathe the cat or wipe it's butt, they do that themselves. I wouldn't spray a lot of chemicals around, they can be dangerous to cats. I would stick to something cat safe like Nature's Miracle or a Vinegar/Water mix. I also use dish liquid for a lot of cleaning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your valuable feedback. I will do all of the cleaning with the litter box and my young daughters are looking forward to brushing and maintaining it's coat. Since the Siberian cat's coat is very long we are planning to brush it's coat daily to avoid the cat from ingesting a lot of it's hair. I'm planning on laying the rules down early so he/she knows not to jump on counters and couches. Do cats usually catch on quickly if I say NO and I keep removing it from places I don't want he/she to be?
If I clean the litter from the box after each use will that also guarantee that it's paws and fur will be free from bacteria as much as possible? How many litter boxes do I need? I planned on keeping the box in one room on the opposite side of the house. Will he/she know where to find it? Is it recommend to have more than one box?
Thanks again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, it is recommended two boxes per cat. All you probably need to do is show it where the boxes are. I'm not sure about the bacteria count, but I'd say yes. Depending on the cats personality, saying a firm no and moving it consistently, and keeping any tempting things put away which it sounds like you probably already do, should work. They like height, so a cat tree or two should also help with a natural inclination of jumping. In case you haven't already, the cat fanciers website has info on their personalities.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh and I forgot, this is somewhat actually part of maintenance, you'll want to pick up some scratching products, both flat and a sturdy tall type that doesn't slip, fall over or swing -the idea being with a tall one that they get in a really good stretch as they're reaching up :redheartpump:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the advice everyone gave is great.

I want to add that it will help if you go into it with the mentality that you are adopting a new family member and opening up your home to also be the cat’s home. One of the most important things for cats is feeling like they own a space or they have a territory. They want to feel like they can jump up high, and mark their scent everywhere. You don’t know what kind of personality you are going to get until you bring your cat home. They may be easy to train to stay off counters or they may be a pain. There are ways that you can accommodate them (e.g., get something else that they can jump on like a cat tree), but sometimes it can be very difficult to train a cat to not go places you don’t want them to go. So I guess what I’m saying is, you have to expect a bit of compromise with cats. Realistically, no matter how much you plan things out, it likely won’t go how you planned. Having an open mind will help a lot. Also given that you’re getting a long hair cat, be prepared for hair everywhere. You have to be willing to live with it. It won’t work out if you’re constantly trying to control the cat or its hair (not saying that you will, but you need be a bit laid back about cat hair if you want to have a cat).

No, cats are not low maintenance. It happens all the time that good-intentioned people who want low maintenance pets adopt cats and then realize that cats have a lot of needs. You need to be prepared for this, especially if you’re getting a kitten. Kittens are high maintenance. You have to play with them multiple times a day, watch them to make sure they are not getting in trouble, etc.

Also one other important thing if you’re getting a kitten... make sure you kitten proof your home. Cover up wall outlets, hide/cover cables or anything else the kitten can get into that can harm them or they can break. Get ready for some sleepless nights and lots of play time. :dancingblackcat:

Edit: I wanted to add one more thing. Cats are hard to train. It takes a lot of persistence and consistency on your part. Always remember that they don’t respond to punishment. Punishment actually usually makes their behaviour worse. They respond best to you ignoring bad behaviour and rewarding good behaviour.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I clean the litter from the box after each use will that also guarantee that it's paws and fur will be free from bacteria as much as possible?
I don't think this is a reasonable expectation. Cats don't urinate and defecate on a predictable schedule like dogs. It's virtually impossible to ensure that you are always present to clean up right after your cat uses the box; there will be times when you are at work, or sleeping, or doing another activity. If you scoop the box at least once a day, that should be sufficient.

I would also strongly suggest you consider getting a pair of kittens rather than a single kitten. Two kittens will occupy each other and help each other practice social skills. Single kittens are more likely to get bored, and bored kittens are more likely to be destructive and messy. I know two cats at once may seem like a lot, but in reality they are often less work because they don't have to rely on their human companions to meet 100% of their social and emotional needs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're not trying to talk you out of it, please don't think that :)! We're just trying to give you the best idea of what to expect so that it's a win-win for all of you. We want it to work for you almost as much as you do.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really suggest that you reconsider getting a kitten. They are wild, and full of energy. Getting an older cat, even a year or two, will give you a calmer family member to bond with. Having a kitten is like having a toddler. It’s a lot of work, and not always fun!

Why are you set on a Siberian?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we aren’t trying to talk you out of it. But it’s good to go into it with realistic expectations. I think getting an older cat is also a good idea and perhaps a short hair one if you’re very worried about cat hair. I also do hope that you go to a shelter to adopt a cat that needs a home rather than purchase from a breeder.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everyone has given you great advice so far! I second the fact that you will end up compromising with cats (e.g. the countertops and this table are off limits, this other table you can be on). One other thing I will add, having had a shorthaired cat first, and then adding a longhaired cat, is that longhaired cats can have issues with "cling-ons," especially if they have an upset stomach with softer stools. This is mostly solvable with trimming the hair around the area. Kittens also may be not as good at grooming as adult cats. For the most part though, cats have higher standards for cleanliness than humans do, so you shouldn't need to wipe them or give them daily baths.

If you don't have a particular reason for getting a Siberian, I would highly recommend adopting an adult cat from a shelter. They'll most likely be calmer, better with children, and can be more easily trainable (longer attention span than a 3 month old kitten).

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might look for a breed rescue group. Members will check SPCA and other rescue groups for their particular breed and claim it. Just do a Google search on the breed you desire with the addition words "breed rescue". Breed rescue groups will accept cats when owners have to surrender their pet for any reason. i. e. Owner illness, job transfer overseas, and other reasons. Good luck! If you qualify, you may be able to adopt the cat for little or no cost. Any long hair cat will require combing/grooming several times a week to ensure there are no hair mats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thank you all, for the advice and the useful information. I'm still considering and taking it all in just how much we can handle a cat. We are looking at the Siberian breed because my husband and I are both allergic to cats, my husband more than I. They are said to produce less of the Fel D1 protein in the saliva which makes them better for people with allergies. I'm up for combing the cat daily to minimize the amount of hair around the house and I plan on keeping the litter box cleaned daily. I guess I can't get over the fact that they will step in the litter box and potentially step in there feces and then onto the floor. Since the cat is a long haired breed, I plan to trim the hair around the bottom to prevent anything clinging in the back. Keeping the floor sanitized and clean is most important to me. How much room does a cat need? I have a pretty big house and I'm planning on keeping him/her mainly in one large room, but also allowing the cat to be around us in the main room. I am a stay at home mom with two home schooled daughters which allows us to be around the cat all day.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my questions ;):hellocomputer:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Siberian because of allergies, so I fully understand where you are coming from there. I would still seriously recommend that you get an adult cat. You can get a retiring mom from a breeder sometimes, or a breed-specific rescue.

I also just want to add that it doesn’t sound to me like you should get a cat. You sound fully prepared to take care of physical needs, but not the emotional needed. A cat doesn’t want to live in one room mostly, it wants to live in the house and be around you, or not. You are attempting to set a lot of boundaries, and they may or may not work. Cats are individuals, and known for going against whatever you’ve planned for.

I think you could be a great pet owner one day, but I don’t think introducing an animal that needs full run of the house and access to you is the right choice right now. Have you thought about getting an animal that might be happier to be contained?

There is also no amount of combing that reduces the shedding from a Siberian. I brush mine all the time and there are still tumbleweeds.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they don't usually step in their poop or touch it, they just bury it with litter. Cats are really clean, if they got poop on their paws, they would immediately clean it off. I agree that cats prefer the full run of the house, they hate closed doors. They also like to climb upwards, so a cat tree or cat shelves, or window seats would be great.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I plan to trim the hair around the bottom to prevent anything clinging in the back
In my experience with a long-hair, this helps a LOT. Ummm, you could try a small rug or mat underneath the litterbox/in the litterbox area that could help with any type of tracking.

How much room is needed is a tough question to answer, and talkingpeanut talkingpeanut has good points. If you have cat trees, cat shelves on the walls, ways for the cat to work off energy as well as get up high, that will help (I was typing at the same time as M maggiedemi :).

I don't recall if this has been mentioned here (apologies if it has) but safe/supervised outside time can be vital, either harness and leash walking, a mesh cat tent or a catio. I'm looking at it that you want to find a way to open your heart and doors to a cat, for the cat's sake as well as for your daughters' sake. I think that you'll have bumps in the road but that you'll also find what works for you as well as for the cat, and of course, this site is always here to answer questions.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between you wanting a really clean house and you and your husband both having cat allergies, I’m also questioning why you are considering getting a cat versus, say, a “cat-sized” lap dog. There are several small breed dogs which have “hair” rather than fur, so they don’t shed and are fairly hypoallergenic. Also, no litter box (although a tiny dog can be trained to use pee pads taped in a cat box), no tracked litter all over the floor. Dogs don’t scratch up the upholstery, so no thick blankets thrown over the furniture.

I hate to be on a cat site, recommending a dog, but I do have both and from what you’ve written, I think you may be better off with a dog. If you do decide to get a cat, we’re certainly here to help you with any issues.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to enclose my Artemis in one room and he tore the door frame off of the wall and broke it in two pieces. Pulled the nails right out of the wall. He also ripped through a screen door when I tried to shut him in a different room. He will absolutely not stand to be contained in any way. I don't think any cat would want to live in one room. With my cat, I can't make him stay in one room for even a little bit without him clawing his way out.