Thinking Of Getting A Kitten

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a fellow first time cat owner (my mother has had cats before, but it's my first time with feline friends), I would perhaps say that you should be more lenient about dirt coming into the house. Whilst it's not pleasant having outside mess come onto your house; kittens can make some mess and we have to hoover regularly. My two mainly make litter mess though (i.e. when they tread on their litter we often find it around the living room). My two are still house cats though when it gets warmer we're planning to let them outside, and they don't make an incredible amount of mess. If you live with other people though, I would ask them their opinions as I think that everyone needs to be on board with the cat so that it can have a fully loving home - not that I'm saying that you will mistreat it, but it's just something to consider :) Good luck with your little kitten though, I love Siberians!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Cats DO track in dirt and make messes. So don't get a cat if you can't stand dirt on your floors. And I won't comment about the dogs tied up outside. Cats like to chase things and knock things over, dig in plants-not always=but they can. The kitty litter from the cat box will drive you bonkers. Spraying chemicals to clean could hurt the animals more than you think. My suggestion=volunteer at a shelter or rescue to get your cat fix. Bringing one into your home and have it be scared because it gets yelled at or shut in a room is no life for a cat. I hope you take the time to think this through-one must weigh the plus and minus and see where one can reasonably put up with the issues. Sometimes cats are friendly, some are scared...it is really a guessing game despite the raising of the kittens. each cat has it's own personality.

Also the dogs barking are because it's lonely and wants companionship...maybe you could reconsider the house rules for the dogs? They can't learn not to poo in the house if one isn't training them to let you know it needs to go out...or the barking at night may have been telling you it needed to go outside to potty..

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think mimica ever said her three dogs are “tied out”, just that they are “outdoor dogs”. Still, someone who has only had outdoor dogs does not really have the same dog experience as someone who adopts dogs as family members and spends time actively training their dogs. Maltese dogs and toy dogs in particular were bred to keep their human company 24/7. They are also notoriously difficult to house train. Throwing a companion-breed dog outside, instead of taking time to potty train the dog, does show a certain ignorance of good animal research and care. Pretty sure the dog is not “happier” outside, just more convenient. Same with the Labs, who make wonderful and loyal household companions. They love to be with their people 24 hours a day.

Siberian cats are not going to be easy either. They are late to mature, which means they will act like kittens for 4-5 years until they are fully grown. For experienced cat lovers who appreciate and adore kitten antics, that’s wonderful. For someone trying to train the kitten to stay off counters and not claw up the upholstery, throw cat litter 4 feet outside the box, and meow all night just because he can, 48+ months of kittenhood could be a nightmare. Also a long-haired cat will not only mat without regular grooming, but the little cling-ons down the back of the fur have to be dealt with. A little loose poop on those fluffy pantaloons will have kitty “dragging butt” across the floors, counters and fabrics…leaving those tell-tale brown streaks on everything. People who love cats and have done their research will joyously clean all that up and then go hug the kitty. Ok, so the cleanup may not be “joyous”, but it is expected and accepted as part of the territory of owning, and living with, a cat…particularly a long-haired late bloomer.

Getting a cat because one of the children “wants a cat” is not a good reason to get a cat. A child is unlikely to provide for all the cats needs and cleanups no matter how much they promise they will. The cat will be the parents' responsibility for the next 10-20 years, not the child's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lari, Thank you. I'm so glad you replied. Your kitten sounds just like my sisters. She really got blessed with a well behaved, gentle, trusting, affectionate cat. It also depends on the owner i think, too. If you give too much, they take and dominate the home. It's like children. If you allow them to do whatever they please, they will do just that. That's why i think so many owners own the title of "My cat owns my house" instead of the owner rightfully claiming that title. I think as pet owners if you don't do that at the forefront, you are in for trouble and behavioral problems. Thanks for referring me to the behavior forums. I'll have a look. :salam::hellocomputer:
I don't think you really understand cats' needs. It seems like you are ignoring all of the helpful comments we are posting and just picking out the ones that confirm what you want to think.

Cats are not like children. They are felines.
And getting a cat for a child is not a good idea. Most cats don't even like children.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't even like children.
So true!!
And I read on I-don't-remember-the-vet's-name's website that you should not leave your kids in charge of the cat's needs as a chore. I see it at my brother's house, they have two pets and the kids don't give a damn even they love the animals. They don't change the litter box as often as they're supposed to, and I can't do it when I visit because it's part of the kids' "chores." I sure don't remember doing that either when I was a kid and was hanging out with the cats all the time.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
mod action notice.gif

We've deleted several posts in this thread for bordering on personal attacks. We aim to educate and our posting "tone" matters a great deal. We take that very seriously here as experience has shown it is much more effective in helping people make the best educated choices for their cats. Please confine personal exchanges, particularly those that are becoming heated, to private conversations.

Johnriii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Other than normal kitten stuff, ie.. absolute terror, there is a lot of combing. Also, I have to supersize everything. Her food intake is comparable to a lion. lol. Siberians grow until they are 4 yrs old, mine is only part and in yet another growth spurt, which means more food. You need a lot of room for these guys.
I have 2 dogs that don't shed, but even with constant combing/brushing, she makes up for them.

If you do decide on a kitten, use only non-clumping litter until it is 12 weeks old. You don't need a vet bill for intestinal impaction. Also, even though it may be your only cat, be sure to get it fixed. Not doing so can cause health issues and/or cancer. If it is male, be sure he has access to lots of water and canned food, or he can get crystals in his bladder/urethra. (another big vet bill) Can happen in females, but most prominent in males.

And just an FYI, don't think they won't scream their heads off or claw your door if it's shut. Just ask any cat owner about closed doors and cats.
I've been EXTREMELY lucky about the lack of noise with my two girls. they are quite used to the bedroom door being closed, but other than that, compromise is the name of the game. Cats cannot be "trained" like dogs. my kitchen counters, dinning room table are regular locations for my girls, as it's virtually impossible to stop them 24 hours a day. they know they shouldn't be up there, and they jump down when I approach, but almost immediately they'll get back up there.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[sigh] This is one way so many cats end up in rescues, or worse, put to sleep. Animals are so much at our mercy. It makes me want to go out and rescue another poor cat.