Thinking of getting a cat -- need advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the great information. I spoke with my wife and I think she's warming up to the idea.

I'll let you folks know.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's great to hear that you are considering getting a cat. They make wonderful companions. And I'm also happy to see that there are still some people smart enough to do research into something as important as this. One piece of info that I have to stress is to not have your cat de-clawed. It is one of the most horrific surgeries to ever be done to a cat. It's very painful and can lead to many physical and behavioral problems in the future. I am currently going to school to become a vet and I have stated many times on this site that the de-clawing surgery is a procedure I will completely refuse to do unless it is absolutely medically necessary. The best course of action is to buy a cat tree or at least a scratching post. And if your cat scratches your furniture, move your cat to the post/tree and show him/her how to use it. Don't force their paws on it but just start scratching it with your hands. They will want to copy you and sooner or later they will stop scratching your furniture entirely. If for some strange reason, the cat still refuses to use the post/tree, just rub some catnip into it. That will definitely get their attention.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
1.I'm not sure if we should start off with a kitten or a full-sized cat?
Seeing as you don't have babies or toddlers, i think your children could handle a kitten. It's usually recommended to have older cats around really young children due to kittens being all claws and easy to sit on and injure by the child etc.

2- Where's the best place to get a cat? Humane Society?
People do buy them from pet shops, but these are mostly kittens who were bred for sale and have almost certainly not come from broken homes or experience the trauma most pound kitties do. I would say look around all of your humane society groups in and around where you live. Most if not all allow owners to bring in their dogs on leads and cats in carriers to sniff out potential good matches and see if they will fight or not. Even though pet shop animals are looking for homes, most of the animals at the humane society have been neglected or dumped and do need to find their longterm homes, they have less of a chance than pet shop kitties. Kittens at the society also do get snapped up quicker than older ones. Most children don't want an older cat, they want something 'cute', but i think that is a cop-out.

3- How easy or difficult is it to train a cat to use a litter box? Will a cat always do its job in a litter box or can we expect some "accidents"?
Charlie has been an indoor cat for about 16 months, before that he was an outdoor kitty when jasmine was still alive, and he has not forgotten his kitten hood training of using the litter when he needs. If he is in my bedroom he will even give a special meow at the door to let him to his tray. Im sure as a first time owner you may have some trouble or feel a bit frustrated. Usually an older adopted cat will already be toilet trained, and may just need to be shown a few times where the tray is. In regards to a kitten you will have to sit them on the clean tray to encourage it to 'go'. Some people will gently push their bottom down to give them the idea. Even if they dont need to go, this shows them where the toilet is. Also scratching your fingers in the clean litter like a kitten would helps some people. If your kitty looks like it is about to go to the toilet elsewhere, quickly scoop them up and run them to the tray. The time it takes to train depends on your patience, and the kitties ability to learn and recognise smells.

4- How easy or difficult is it to keep a cat clean, bathe a cat, and how often?
I haven't bathed Charlie since he was a kitten. He hated baths. As he is indoors he is extremely clean (he is a pure white cat) and licks himself clean. I have a slicker brush which is not at all expensive and spend a few minutes each day grooming him. This brush goes right down to the skin and as you gently brush it picks up a lot of the fur that hasn't yet been shed. This fur also makes for kitty toupees!
You may have to deal in most cases with a screaming, scratching kitty. If its a kitten and not an adult, you may be able to give regular bathes and get him/her used to them. Id only really suggest bathing if your kitty has somehow caught lots of fleas, or has rolled around in something sticky or extremely dirty. Their tongues take care of themselves. Unless you're going to be a show person.

5- What about the possibility of fleas, ticks and other little critters? Suggestions.
Charlie has not had any fleas since we moved house 8 months ago, the previous owners had no pets and our other kitty passed away last year. If you are in a household with no other cats, your cat most likely wont be at risk, especially as an indoor cat. If it gets adopted with fleas (this happens sometimes especially as a lot of the healthy cats can come into contact with each other in the human society) you can go to your vet, or local pet supply centre (i wouldn't recommend the supermarket) and get treatment from there, there are many options. Ticks are extremely dangerous and can paralise and even kill a cat. There is lots of information, this is one of the many sites you should go to to find out about early warning signs and what to do if it ever happens http://www.cat-world.com.au/ticks.htm. If your cat ends up with worms (swollen belly, blood and pests in feaces) take it straight to the vet for some treatment and a checkup. I suggest you talk to your local vet and do some research on the computer of what pests can affect your cat before you adopt.

6- What are the chances of getting a cat with a good temperament around children? Are they good pets even for small children? How tolerant are they?
Well this sort of goes back to the first question. A kittens temperment is usually the same as the next, kill, destroy, lick, go crazy, and as it gets older its personality will develop depending on how you, your children, and other pets treat it. All claws may not be good for children who like to er...torture pets (not actual torture, but those who do a lot of poking and prodding and such). Older cats around children may give a warning hiss/growl to tell the child they are becoming intolerant of what they are doing. Scratching and biting is bad, but it is up to the children to treat the cat with the love and respect it deserves. if it attacks, please, please, do not decide the cat needs to go back to the shelter or be put to sleep, as is the mistake a lot of people make. The cat could be scared, hurt or just very annoyed. Their personality also depends on if they are semi feral, have come from an abusive household etc. Thats why you take your household members, and any other pets with you to at a safe distance, let them sniff, speak etc. The shelter will tell you what you can and can't do.

7- Will a cat try to destroy furniture by clawing at it?
Yes. Prevention - At an early age show them scratching poles, put sisal strips onto your favourite furniture or plastic protectors. Firmly tell them off each time they scratch. There is a clicker which you press each time the cat does something naughty. They will hopefully associate that with naughty things and behave themselves. You can also have an outdoor enclosure if you like, or some very secure place to put in logs and scratching items. I don't know at what age you start, but you can learn how to trim a cats claws as well, usually once a month or less if they are not using any of the toys. More timids kittens or older cats need coaxing for the trimming. You need to get them used to you touching their paws and being able to extend their claws etc without them freaking out. Other cats dont even notice and will let you do whatever you want as long as they get to play. And even though at TCS we are not going to attack anyone who makes this choice, we all have the same opinion on declawing - it is harmful to the animal, and unneccesary. Please do not consider it.

8- Are cats really able to clean themselves?
Yes. Unless your cat is covered in tar, oil, paint etc, they will clean themselves from ear to tail.

9- What about cat dander?
Some cats will be able to deal with it if it is mild and barely noticeable. If it is more serious, if they are scratching a lot or there are flakes and not just little specks, it could be a sign of something more serious, and you need to take them to the vet.

10- Why should we get a cat instead of some other pet?
Cats can exercise themselves. They don't eat a lot. They give you love, warmth, happy times. There are so many more reasons, and they give different things to different owners. They are just a wonderful pet to have in your family.

Any other comments, suggestions for us?
Good luck on your hunt. I'm sorry this reply was so long, but i hope it helps
I know everyone will give very good information, and of course opinions will vary. This is a life changing decision, because a cat is a pet for life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

1.I'm not sure if we should start off with a kitten or a full-sized cat?
Seeing as you don't have babies or toddlers, i think your children could handle a kitten. It's usually recommended to have older cats around really young children due to kittens being all claws and easy to sit on and injure by the child etc.

2- Where's the best place to get a cat? Humane Society?
People do buy them from pet shops, but these are mostly kittens who were bred for sale and have almost certainly not come from broken homes or experience the trauma most pound kitties do. I would say look around all of your humane society groups in and around where you live. Most if not all allow owners to bring in their dogs on leads and cats in carriers to sniff out potential good matches and see if they will fight or not. Even though pet shop animals are looking for homes, most of the animals at the humane society have been neglected or dumped and do need to find their longterm homes, they have less of a chance than pet shop kitties. Kittens at the society also do get snapped up quicker than older ones. Most children don't want an older cat, they want something 'cute', but i think that is a cop-out.

3- How easy or difficult is it to train a cat to use a litter box? Will a cat always do its job in a litter box or can we expect some "accidents"?
Charlie has been an indoor cat for about 16 months, before that he was an outdoor kitty when jasmine was still alive, and he has not forgotten his kitten hood training of using the litter when he needs. If he is in my bedroom he will even give a special meow at the door to let him to his tray. Im sure as a first time owner you may have some trouble or feel a bit frustrated. Usually an older adopted cat will already be toilet trained, and may just need to be shown a few times where the tray is. In regards to a kitten you will have to sit them on the clean tray to encourage it to 'go'. Some people will gently push their bottom down to give them the idea. Even if they dont need to go, this shows them where the toilet is. Also scratching your fingers in the clean litter like a kitten would helps some people. If your kitty looks like it is about to go to the toilet elsewhere, quickly scoop them up and run them to the tray. The time it takes to train depends on your patience, and the kitties ability to learn and recognise smells.

4- How easy or difficult is it to keep a cat clean, bathe a cat, and how often?
I haven't bathed Charlie since he was a kitten. He hated baths. As he is indoors he is extremely clean (he is a pure white cat) and licks himself clean. I have a slicker brush which is not at all expensive and spend a few minutes each day grooming him. This brush goes right down to the skin and as you gently brush it picks up a lot of the fur that hasn't yet been shed. This fur also makes for kitty toupees!
You may have to deal in most cases with a screaming, scratching kitty. If its a kitten and not an adult, you may be able to give regular bathes and get him/her used to them. Id only really suggest bathing if your kitty has somehow caught lots of fleas, or has rolled around in something sticky or extremely dirty. Their tongues take care of themselves. Unless you're going to be a show person.

5- What about the possibility of fleas, ticks and other little critters? Suggestions.
Charlie has not had any fleas since we moved house 8 months ago, the previous owners had no pets and our other kitty passed away last year. If you are in a household with no other cats, your cat most likely wont be at risk, especially as an indoor cat. If it gets adopted with fleas (this happens sometimes especially as a lot of the healthy cats can come into contact with each other in the human society) you can go to your vet, or local pet supply centre (i wouldn't recommend the supermarket) and get treatment from there, there are many options. Ticks are extremely dangerous and can paralise and even kill a cat. There is lots of information, this is one of the many sites you should go to to find out about early warning signs and what to do if it ever happens http://www.cat-world.com.au/ticks.htm. If your cat ends up with worms (swollen belly, blood and pests in feaces) take it straight to the vet for some treatment and a checkup. I suggest you talk to your local vet and do some research on the computer of what pests can affect your cat before you adopt.

6- What are the chances of getting a cat with a good temperament around children? Are they good pets even for small children? How tolerant are they?
Well this sort of goes back to the first question. A kittens temperment is usually the same as the next, kill, destroy, lick, go crazy, and as it gets older its personality will develop depending on how you, your children, and other pets treat it. All claws may not be good for children who like to er...torture pets (not actual torture, but those who do a lot of poking and prodding and such). Older cats around children may give a warning hiss/growl to tell the child they are becoming intolerant of what they are doing. Scratching and biting is bad, but it is up to the children to treat the cat with the love and respect it deserves. if it attacks, please, please, do not decide the cat needs to go back to the shelter or be put to sleep, as is the mistake a lot of people make. The cat could be scared, hurt or just very annoyed. Their personality also depends on if they are semi feral, have come from an abusive household etc. Thats why you take your household members, and any other pets with you to at a safe distance, let them sniff, speak etc. The shelter will tell you what you can and can't do.

7- Will a cat try to destroy furniture by clawing at it?
Yes. Prevention - At an early age show them scratching poles, put sisal strips onto your favourite furniture or plastic protectors. Firmly tell them off each time they scratch. There is a clicker which you press each time the cat does something naughty. They will hopefully associate that with naughty things and behave themselves. You can also have an outdoor enclosure if you like, or some very secure place to put in logs and scratching items. I don't know at what age you start, but you can learn how to trim a cats claws as well, usually once a month or less if they are not using any of the toys. More timids kittens or older cats need coaxing for the trimming. You need to get them used to you touching their paws and being able to extend their claws etc without them freaking out. Other cats dont even notice and will let you do whatever you want as long as they get to play. And even though at TCS we are not going to attack anyone who makes this choice, we all have the same opinion on declawing - it is harmful to the animal, and unneccesary. Please do not consider it.

8- Are cats really able to clean themselves?
Yes. Unless your cat is covered in tar, oil, paint etc, they will clean themselves from ear to tail.

9- What about cat dander?
Some cats will be able to deal with it if it is mild and barely noticeable. If it is more serious, if they are scratching a lot or there are flakes and not just little specks, it could be a sign of something more serious, and you need to take them to the vet.

10- Why should we get a cat instead of some other pet?
Cats can exercise themselves. They don't eat a lot. They give you love, warmth, happy times. There are so many more reasons, and they give different things to different owners. They are just a wonderful pet to have in your family.

Any other comments, suggestions for us?
Good luck on your hunt. I'm sorry this reply was so long, but i hope it helps
I know everyone will give very good information, and of course opinions will vary. This is a life changing decision, because a cat is a pet for life.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on each of my questions. It's great information to have and know. I appreciate it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not need to give you advice everyone else given you good advice.
I will tell you what happened when we got our first cats.
I was a kid and my mom was not sure to get a cat or not.
My dad is allergic to alot so she asked if he got sick if we can take the kitten back. We got a Orange and white Male and named him Henry.
I was 11 and my brother was 9.
My other brother was 6 and my sister was 3.
My other two sisters were not born yet.
After we got Henry we went bacl and got his brother a all orange male.
We namerd him Frisky.
I am allergic to cats.