They don't make this anymore -- or do they?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here's one. Went perfect with those glass grapes on the coffee table.

My mom didn't do kitsch. She spent weeks looking for the right lampshades for the end table lamps, which my brother still has after 40+ years.
My sister had a rain lamp in her attic-way years ago; I don't know if she still has it. I'll have to ask her. Back then, I thought the rain lamps were kind of neat, to be honest. Something different, I guess. Very 70s. Then again, I wore the wide-legged pants.  

Pam, did you like Rick even back then?
We met during a sledding party. He was 15 and I was 12, so he was the older guy. Yeah, I did like him. We didn't really start dating per se until I was around 14 or so; he had his car by then, too. It was, and still is sometimes, a somewhat tumultuous relationship; we broke up several times. Our parents weren't amused by the whole thing and were sure it was going to lead to trouble. And well, I was 16 and he was 19 when we got married. Got married in April and he turned 20 in May. Oh well. It was what it was.

ETA: Holy crap! Some of those refurbished rain lamps are rather pricey!! For the grand price of $719 (originally $799), you too can own a gilded motion-sensor clock/goddess/rain lamp combination! And it has a mirror. 
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gol...894337?hash=item58f1441a81:g:ZbAAAOSw32lYoiBT   Good grief.

We had jeweled fruits in a milkglass bowl!! Styrofoam fruit pieces with little jewel-like push pins things that you pushed into the fruit. Apples, lemons, oranges, bananas, peaches....I don't know if Mom had grapes, though. 

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We met during a sledding party. He was 15 and I was 12, so he was the older guy. Yeah, I did like him. We didn't really start dating per se until I was around 14 or so; he had his car by then, too. It was, and still is sometimes, a somewhat tumultuous relationship; we broke up several times. Our parents weren't amused by the whole thing and were sure it was going to lead to trouble. And well, I was 16 and he was 19 when we got married. Got married in April and he turned 20 in May. Oh well. It was what it was.
I won't rehash my own tumultuous marriage, but I'm always struck by how you guys enjoy each other's company, how caring you both are to each other, how you've managed to keep your relationship fresh. Even setting aside how long you've known each other, a lot of women would be glad to have such a husband.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well, thank you, @Primula. Rick is a pretty good man.

Thanks @Mother Dragon! I think somebody had posted that link quite some time ago. It's an interesting web site.
You two both hit the marriage jackpot when you found each other.

Real sugar Pepsi is available in stores too. It looks  exactly like the picture on the website in an all blue 12 pack. It's is WAY better than the stuff with the high fructose cr@p syrup in it. I also buy Mexican Coke and Jarritos sodas (also from Mexico). They are made with real sugar and are SO good. They can be found in the Latin foods aisles of supermarkets. I love the Jarritos mandarin and tamarind the best but the pineapple is good too. They come in glass bottles as does the Mexican Coke.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I met in college. He hated me because he thought I was trite. It took him about 2 1/2 months to change his mind. I needed to learn to use a slide rule (I'm showing my age!) and he used to teach it, so I talked him into teaching me. I would learn just enough to keep him going but not enough to finish. One night he called and asked me to a football game. We never dated anyone else from that time and on the third date he told me he was going to marry me.

His mother didn't like me one bit because she said I came from the wrong side of town, where they had lived until they moved to snobville. His parents did everything they could to separate us. They were even going to make him join the military or send him away to another school. 

We told our parents we were going on a Sunday school picnic and ran away to Mexico and got married. That is quite a tale in itself which I won't go into there except to say it required bribing the border guards and going into the interior of Mexico. His mother changed the sheets on his bed every two weeks so they'd be fresh when he came to his senses and came back home. He never did. It'll be 52 years in May. We're lovers, soulmates, spouses, and best friends. I have some disabilities now and he takes wonderful care of me and does all of the housework and such. We still hold hands and steal kisses after all these years. We both consider ourselves very, very lucky. 

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
And he sews beautifully, too. I can hardly sew on a  button. He's made several sets of matching shirts for us, plus curtains, pillowcases, pillows, an adorable adult-size cat's head purse, bedspreads, blouses for me (quite a challenge), shirts for himself, clothes for our late granddaughter, cat toys (of course), stuffed animals, and lots more. He has a top of the line sewing machine and serger. He does not, however, quilt. He's learning to cook very well, too.

Add to that being a second-degree brown belt in Issynrhu karate at age 70, and he's quite a guy.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
At work tonight someone called in to see if we had a certain toy in stock.  A View Master.

I honestly didn't think they even made those any more.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the Viewmaster!  I loved those.  Don't recall Heartland cereals though.  Back in the 70's I ate frosted cornflakes and honeybuns for breakfast.

I still have not forgiven Reese's for changing the recipe about the same time as they changed the packaging (80's?), but all I know is Reese Cups nowadays don't taste as good as they used to in the 60's and 70's.  

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I still have not forgiven Reese's for changing the recipe about the same time as they changed the packaging (80's?), but all I know is Reese Cups nowadays don't taste as good as they used to in the 60's and 70's.  
Either do Hostess cupcakes.  I loved them as a kid.