They don't make this anymore -- or do they?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My first job out of college was with Kraft Foods in their marketing dept.  I remember Koogle too well! 
​I was about 12; my tongue gets the quivers from the memory. As it remembers lapping it out of the jar. ("Mom? Spread it on something? EGAD!")

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That TA was fun, especially when you were 19. Compared to more modern cars, it was a bit heavy, but it took corners like it was on rails. Whoopee!

It was, alas, a bit too much fun. One day my friend wrecked his.

But he got his revenge, as it were, with a 2010 Mustang.

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a 1965 Pontiac Le Mans, in 1979. It was battered, but it was also powerful, and small enough to be economical and big enough to sleep in. (No concern about that these days.)

Anyone remember the Pontiac "Goat"?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
​Have the original scratchy vinyl?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shows were very corny, but some of their songs are great. Everyone in England thought they were a ridiculous joke, but I think they could stand on their own.
It did start out that way

From Wikipedia:

Mickey Dolenz described the Monkees as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band ... that wanted to be The Beatles, [but] that was never successful".[1] The actor-musicians, however, soon became a real band.

and THEN

The Monkees have sold more than 75 million records worldwide and had international hits, including "Last Train to Clarksville", "Pleasant Valley Sunday", "Daydream Believer", and "I'm a Believer". At their peak in 1967, the band outsold the Beatles and the Rolling Stones combined

I agree. They could and did stand on their own. RIP Davy

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It did start out that way

From Wikipedia:

Mickey Dolenz described the Monkees as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band ... that wanted to be The Beatles, [but] that was never successful".[1] The actor-musicians, however, soon became a real band.

and THEN

The Monkees have sold more than 75 million records worldwide and had international hits, including "Last Train to Clarksville", "Pleasant Valley Sunday", "Daydream Believer", and "I'm a Believer". At their peak in 1967, the band outsold the Beatles and the Rolling Stones combined

I agree. They could and did stand on their own. RIP Davy

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I liked the Monkees. 
 Much to Rick's dismay (I met Rick when I was 12, so I was pretty young....but no, we did not date when I was that young). And I was upset when Jones died.....not so much because I liked him when I was a teenybopper as much as he was probably the first person from what might be considered "my" era whose death really hit me. Plus the fact that he lived in my area. I still have a couple Monkees albums on vinyl.

My BIL has a Goat that he worked on for years. It is gorgeous.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I liked the Monkees. 
 Much to Rick's dismay (I met Rick when I was 12, so I was pretty young....but no, we did not date when I was that young). And I was upset when Jones died.....not so much because I liked him when I was a teenybopper as much as he was probably the first person from what might be considered "my" era whose death really hit me. Plus the fact that he lived in my area. I still have a couple Monkees albums on vinyl.

My BIL has a Goat that he worked on for years. It is gorgeous.
I watched a few episodes on Youtube last night. THEY. HAVE. ALL. OF. THEM!!!!   

I was sad when Davy passed too. Mickey was always my favorite but I always liked Davy. Remember when he was on the Brady Bunch? 

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the 70s (early) they had these lamps with wires and oil droplets dribblng down wires for an interesting moving jewel effect. Not practical, but, well so seventies, I mean who CARED about practicality then, when you had bell bottoms with 13" wide flared legs.

Don't know what they called those. Never seen one in a thrift shop.

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? (Will you admit to having one? Or a relative . . . .)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the 70s (early) they had these lamps with wires and oil droplets dribblng down wires for an interesting moving jewel effect. Not practical, but, well so seventies, I mean who CARED about practicality then, when you had bell bottoms with 13" wide flared legs.

Don't know what they called those. Never seen one in a thrift shop.

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? (Will you admit to having one? Or a relative . . . .)
I didn't know what you were talking about so I looked it up. They were called rain lamps and there are a bunch on eBay. They look pretty cool. But if I got one, the cats would think it was cool too and I'd have oil all over the house :lol3:.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's one. Went perfect with those glass grapes on the coffee table.

My mom didn't do kitsch. She spent weeks looking for the right lampshades for the end table lamps, which my brother still has after 40+ years.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't know what you were talking about so I looked it up. They were called rain lamps and there are a bunch on eBay. They look pretty cool. But if I got one, the cats would think it was cool too and I'd have oil all over the house
and very oily cats