The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Taxes are done
I do my own taxes using the Turbotax software. I'm getting a nice federal refund but I owe the state a small amount. I always owe the state for some reason. This year's federal refund is less than last year and previous years
Probably because of slightly less wages last year than nprevious years. I didn't work as many holidays last year and I couldn't get OT pay for all the extra time I put in to get my work done (the lab calls it "volunteering" which is BS).

TurboTax won't support Windows Vista starting next year
I know my computer is old but I really don't want to upgrade to Windwos 10 or buy a new computer.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LTS3 You should check out New desktop computers. I was shocked at Best Buy a month ago. Prices have come way down. Most were under $500. Laptops are what most people want and they are several thousand in comparison.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Taxes are done
I do my own taxes using the Turbotax software. I'm getting a nice federal refund but I owe the state a small amount. I always owe the state for some reason. This year's federal refund is less than last year and previous years
Probably because of slightly less wages last year than nprevious years. I didn't work as many holidays last year and I couldn't get OT pay for all the extra time I put in to get my work done (the lab calls it "volunteering" which is BS).

TurboTax won't support Windows Vista starting next year
I know my computer is old but I really don't want to upgrade to Windwos 10 or buy a new computer.
RB says Windows 10 is designed to steal your personal information. You might consult on different operating systems.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Windows 10 doesn't do that. It may store your personal system, but it doesn't send it to anyone. On a Windows computer, 10 is all you can get new. Your only other choice is an Apple computer.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pardon me while I rant and whine for a moment. Feel free to skip.

Earlier this week the coffee pot went out and SD decided he was going to be nice to us and buy us a coffee pot--and got a sixty dollar coffee pot. (And also put a limit on it; we can only use it while he's here, because he's taking it with him when he goes back for work.) The coffee has a stainless steel pot, some kind of burner in the bottom of the pot, and is a pain in the rear to work with. (After I got paid AWM went to Target and got one for less than twenty dollars.It looks like a regular coffee pot and is easy to use.) Because of the painkillers SD is on after his surgery, he has very hard number twos that have clogged the toilets three times. (Anyone got any suggestions on what he could do to make them softer? I'm starting to fear for the septic tank--we haven't been able to run Rid-X in a while.) Naturally, this is our fault for not maintaining the septic system while he was out of town at work. He went out with AWM and got a new fridge--that will be delivered Tuesday, week after next. And he's been ranting about how he was "nice" enough to buy us a coffee pot (not only did he decide to take it with him when he goes back to work--he works in another state--but he also drinks coffee; I kind of think he had no choice there) and how it was all our fault for misusing the fridge which is why it went out (the fridge is over seventeen years old--it came with the house and we moved in back in ninety-nine) and how RB and I are wasting our money on "fripperies" when we should have had money set aside for just such an emergency.

Seriously? Seriously?! I have a multi-hundred dollar hospital bill that I"m trying to pay off, we're doing everything we can to keep the vehicles up to snuff and running right (and AWM's car is about due for an oil change), and we should have money set aside? How? What  money? It's all we can do to feed ourselves and the cats! And don't, oh, don't get me started on the "frippery" business. Yes, last Sunday (the first Sunday I had off since November) I went to the flea market (we all went--it was SD's idea), and while we were there I saw a few pendants (five dollars each) that I fell in love with. Silly  me, since I had money I bought  them to take home. (Two are carved jade pieces--one of a ship and the other of a pheonix--while the third is a wire and amethyst tree with an owl on one of the branches). I guess I should have seen that life was about to go down the crapper again! And RB, oh-my-stars--SD was getting mad at RB for buying a five dollar cup he  saw at the flea market. Whoop-de-freaking-do. Between the two of us we spent an astonishing twenty dollars! What kind of fridge could we have gotten at that price?

I know where all of this is coming from, of course. He's not able to move like he's used to because of the surgery, even with the pain medicine he's in pain (that part might be our fault--he's supposed to take the meds every four hours, but we won't wake him if he sleeps through his alarm. Given his charming  personality--which started before this--would you?), and he's cranky with the world in general and we're just the closest targets. (Don't think AWM was unscathed either--he was getting onto her for her "lack of a proper job".) I get cranky when I'm in pain too--but at least I realize  it and don't take it out on anyone!

How long until the year is over?

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Windows 10 doesn't do that. It may store your personal system, but it doesn't send it to anyone. On a Windows computer, 10 is all you can get new. Your only other choice is an Apple computer.
Yes, it does. It automatically sends all your information to the people who run Windows. And yes, there is another computer option. I'll talk to RB about it and see what he recommends. What do you need your computer to do?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Microsoft makes Windows. They couldn't care less about your SS, credit card, etc. All they care about is their software, and yes, Windows does send back messages about errors, etc. You can send them files to store in their cloud, but you don't have to.

Sorry about so many things going wrong right now. To soften SD's stool, get him the generic version of Colace, and take two capsules with every meal. Like the commercials say, it doesn't make you go, it just makes it easier to go. The brand Colace works, too, but it costs almost twice as much as the drugstore brand. The pain meds are probably causing this.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Earlier this week the coffee pot went out and SD decided he was going to be nice to us and buy us a coffee pot--and got a sixty dollar coffee pot. (And also put a limit on it; we can only use it while he's here, because he's taking it with him when he goes back for work.) The coffee has a stainless steel pot, some kind of burner in the bottom of the pot, and is a pain in the rear to work with. (After I got paid AWM went to Target and got one for less than twenty dollars.It looks like a regular coffee pot and is easy to use.) Because of the painkillers SD is on after his surgery, he has very hard number twos that have clogged the toilets three times. (Anyone got any suggestions on what he could do to make them softer? I'm starting to fear for the septic tank--we haven't been able to run Rid-X in a while.) Naturally, this is our fault for not maintaining the septic system while he was out of town at work. He went out with AWM and got a new fridge--that will be delivered Tuesday, week after next. And he's been ranting about how he was "nice" enough to buy us a coffee pot (not only did he decide to take it with him when he goes back to work--he works in another state--but he also drinks coffee; I kind of think he had no choice there) and how it was all our fault for misusing the fridge which is why it went out (the fridge is over seventeen years old--it came with the house and we moved in back in ninety-nine) and how RB and I are wasting our money on "fripperies" when we should have had money set aside for just such an emergency.

Seriously? Seriously?! I have a multi-hundred dollar hospital bill that I"m trying to pay off, we're doing everything we can to keep the vehicles up to snuff and running right (and AWM's car is about due for an oil change), and we should have money set aside? How? What  money? It's all we can do to feed ourselves and the cats! And don't, oh, don't get me started on the "frippery" business. Yes, last Sunday (the first Sunday I had off since November) I went to the flea market (we all went--it was SD's idea), and while we were there I saw a few pendants (five dollars each) that I fell in love with. Silly  me, since I had money I bought  them to take home. (Two are carved jade pieces--one of a ship and the other of a pheonix--while the third is a wire and amethyst tree with an owl on one of the branches). I guess I should have seen that life was about to go down the crapper again! And RB, oh-my-stars--SD was getting mad at RB for buying a five dollar cup he  saw at the flea market. Whoop-de-freaking-do. Between the two of us we spent an astonishing twenty dollars! What kind of fridge could we have gotten at that price?

I know where all of this is coming from, of course. He's not able to move like he's used to because of the surgery, even with the pain medicine he's in pain (that part might be our fault--he's supposed to take the meds every four hours, but we won't wake him if he sleeps through his alarm. Given his charming  personality--which started before this--would you?), and he's cranky with the world in general and we're just the closest targets. (Don't think AWM was unscathed either--he was getting onto her for her "lack of a proper job".) I get cranky when I'm in pain too--but at least I realize  it and don't take it out on anyone!

My ex used to do something very similar - buy something for himself, let us use it once or twice, and then want us to sing his praises because he'd bought the item.  And this reminds me of an ex boyfriend who pulled an astonishing stunt on our birthday (we were born on the same date.) With great build-up and flourish, he presented me with an expensive language course in learning to speak Portuguese.   I was a little surprised because I wasn't sure that I'd ever have a use for Portuguese,  but oh, ok.  Whatever.  I looked through the workbooks and they actually did look kind of fun. He was very proud of himself and kept saying how much I'd like them and what a perfect gift they were.  I was duly appreciative and said I looked forward to checking them out.   Later on in the day, he announced that they were just on loan; that I wasn't meant to keep them.  O -o -o-kay.   When the day was over, he took the DVDs and workbooks with him and I never saw or heard about them again. Turns out he was planning a trip to Brazil, where they speak Portuguese.  
  Fortunately, by that time I'd already seen enough loony behavior to know the relationship wasn't going anywhere so I just rolled my eyes and got a good chuckle out of the whole business.

Anyway, that doesn't have anything to do with SD and his unreasonable behavior.  It's very nice of you to understand why he's being unreasonable, but it sounds like he's just being a jerk.  The things he said to you, considering how hard you work, are completely out of line.  And that's just idiotic about the refrigerator.  Nineteen years is a very good lifespan for a refrigerator.   

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glad you went out and enjoyed yourself.. 

Having the manager come over to say 'Hi' and then take 20% off your check is awesome.. and shows what a nice place it should be to work in.....
I agree.  I liked him right away when he was doing orientation.  He seems like he wants his employees to enjoy their jobs without compromising safety or the quality of service the customers receive.  I've only worked one night so far, but I think he's nailed it.  My feet are killing me, but they're bound to - especially at first until I get used to being on them.

My ex used to do something very similar - buy something for himself, let us use it once or twice, and then want us to sing his praises because he'd bought the item.  And this reminds me of an ex boyfriend who pulled an astonishing stunt on our birthday (we were born on the same date.) With great build-up and flourish, he presented me with an expensive language course in learning to speak Portuguese.   I was a little surprised because I wasn't sure that I'd ever have a use for Portuguese,  but oh, ok.  Whatever.  I looked through the workbooks and they actually did look kind of fun. He was very proud of himself and kept saying how much I'd like them and what a perfect gift they were.  I was duly appreciative and said I looked forward to checking them out.   Later on in the day, he announced that they were just on loan; that I wasn't meant to keep them.  O -o -o-kay.   When the day was over, he took the DVDs and workbooks with him and I never saw or heard about them again. Turns out he was planning a trip to Brazil, where they speak Portuguese.  
  Fortunately, by that time I'd already seen enough loony behavior to know the relationship wasn't going anywhere so I just rolled my eyes and got a good chuckle out of the whole business.

Anyway, that doesn't have anything to do with SD and his unreasonable behavior.  It's very nice of you to understand why he's being unreasonable, but it sounds like he's just being a jerk.  The things he said to you, considering how hard you work, are completely out of line.  And that's just idiotic about the refrigerator.  Nineteen years is a very good lifespan for a refrigerator.   
I can see why they're both exes!  Quite nice of him to buy himself a present for your birthday.  LOL that's just way too much.

I really need to take a shower - I smell like onions and other steakhouse scents which are great smelling when you've got food in front of you but not so great when you're home after work.  But I don't want to get up.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've no idea how useful this will be, but it could help: https://www.caring.com/questions/constipation-from-medication

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Microsoft makes Windows. They couldn't care less about your SS, credit card, etc. All they care about is their software, and yes, Windows does send back messages about errors, etc. You can send them files to store in their cloud, but you don't have to.

Sorry about so many things going wrong right now. To soften SD's stool, get him the generic version of Colace, and take two capsules with every meal. Like the commercials say, it doesn't make you go, it just makes it easier to go. The brand Colace works, too, but it costs almost twice as much as the drugstore brand. The pain meds are probably causing this.
Yeah, I think it's the pain meds too. 
 I'm making a list of suggestions so I can have AWM suggest them to him. (After his last rant, I'm not speaking to him for a while.)

Apparently he thinks they have eternal lifespans. 
 As for the rest of us--we didn't really think about it. I mean, we defrosted the freezer from time to time, and kept it clean, but it was just sort of--background. Really  missing it right now, though.

I agree.  I liked him right away when he was doing orientation.  He seems like he wants his employees to enjoy their jobs without compromising safety or the quality of service the customers receive.  I've only worked one night so far, but I think he's nailed it.  My feet are killing me, but they're bound to - especially at first until I get used to being on them.

I can see why they're both exes!  Quite nice of him to buy himself a present for your birthday.  LOL that's just way too much.

I really need to take a shower - I smell like onions and other steakhouse scents which are great smelling when you've got food in front of you but not so great when you're home after work.  But I don't want to get up.
I have been working at a job that keeps me on my feet for at least eight hours (and on one horrifically memorable occasion, ten). Trust me; it doesn't get better unless your shoes support your feet perfectly. (I really need a new pair, but we can't afford it!) So--my advice is to stock up on Advil. 

I've no idea how useful this will be, but it could help: https://www.caring.com/questions/constipation-from-medication

Margret
 Vegetables. Cereal. I can't imagine him admitting  he needs to eat more of these. Great suggestions though.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
 Vegetables. Cereal. I can't imagine him admitting  he needs to eat more of these. Great suggestions though.
Get him some Metamucil and tell him to add it to his coffee.  It won't change the taste or consistency of the coffee, but it'll give him fiber.  This is what Metamucil is for.  People who can't be bothered to get their fiber in a normal way, by eating foods that contain fiber.

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Get him some Metamucil and tell him to add it to his coffee.  It won't change the taste or consistency of the coffee, but it'll give him fiber.  This is what Metamucil is for.  People who can't be bothered to get their fiber in a normal way, by eating foods that contain fiber.

Margret
That's a good idea. I was just humored by the image of him eating  vegetables--he's one of those people who think that humans should be carnivores.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a friend like that.  The closest she would get to a vegetable was a potato.  It is a plant, at least.  She would also eat fruit.  But no veggies.  She also never made it to 5 ft tall.  Possible correlation?

John refuses to eat lettuce or tomatoes.  Apparently in preschool one of the teachers forced him to and now he still doesn't like either.  His mom threw a tizzy about it, but I guess that didn't undo the damage.  I can't say much - apparently when I was a baby, peas were my favorite food until my grandpa jokingly said, "Peas are icky!"  I still won't touch them.  I know it's all in my head, but that doesn't change my dislike of them.  And now that my grandpa is gone, I tear up every time I'm picking the peas out of a pot pie or soup or whatever.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had a friend like that.  The closest she would get to a vegetable was a potato.  It is a plant, at least.  She would also eat fruit.  But no veggies.  She also never made it to 5 ft tall.  Possible correlation?

John refuses to eat lettuce or tomatoes.  Apparently in preschool one of the teachers forced him to and now he still doesn't like either.  His mom threw a tizzy about it, but I guess that didn't undo the damage.  I can't say much - apparently when I was a baby, peas were my favorite food until my grandpa jokingly said, "Peas are icky!"  I still won't touch them.  I know it's all in my head, but that doesn't change my dislike of them.  And now that my grandpa is gone, I tear up every time I'm picking the peas out of a pot pie or soup or whatever.
 In my opinion, you're not missing much. (Then again, I don't like peas.)

When I was a kid on a field trip (the whole class went) one of the things the school did was bring school lunches along for the students on the trip, including the ubiquitous milk carton. So the milk sat, in the bus, in the heat (it's hot more often than not down here), and of course  it went bad. I knew it was bad, I told the teacher it was bad, and I said (politely, because manners have been drummed into me since the cradle), that I wasn't going to drink the milk, because it was bad. The teacher made me drink it anyway. (Naturally, it made me sick--so sick they had to cut the trip short and get me back home. AWM had to take me to the hospital and she was not  happy. She tried to sue the school, but none of the local lawyers would take the case.) I still  can't drink milk without getting sick, and I know  it's psychosomatic. (And it probably didn't help that the stepmonster made it her mission to get me to drink as much milk as possible. Actually, she tried to force me to eat foods I couldn't stand quite a bit, which is strange. When you have a child that won't eat peas but will  eat broccoli, cauliflower, almost any kind of squash, asparagus, and is willing to try foods she's never seen or even heard of before, why  try to make her eat something she clearly hates?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Tallyollyopia  - Forget the veggies. If he won't eat them, they won't help. Another thing SD can take is Miralax. We talk about it all the time for our kitties, but humans can take it too. Put a capful in a drink - whatever he likes - stir it up and have him drink it on an empty stomach an hour or two before he eats. It adds no flavor to the drink.  It softens the stool and acts as a gentle laxative too. Doctors routinely suggest it after surgery for the pain meds.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Tallyollyopia  - Forget the veggies. If he won't eat them, they won't help. Another thing SD can take is Miralax. We talk about it all the time for our kitties, but humans can take it too. Put a capful in a drink - whatever he likes - stir it up and have him drink it on an empty stomach an hour or two before he eats. It adds no flavor to the drink.  It softens the stool and acts as a gentle laxative too. Doctors routinely suggest it after surgery for the pain meds.
Pain meds will definitely stop up someone. I take Tyn. #4 for arthritis and when I get stopped up I take a stool softner or just eat some peas or beans. I also have IBS-D and the codeine helps to make me feel normal. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Pain meds will definitely stop up someone. I take Tyn. #4 for arthritis and when I get stopped up I take a stool softner or just eat some peas or beans. I also have IBS-D and the codeine helps to make me feel normal. 
@Tallyollyopia

I have issues also.. diagnosed with microscopic colitis with a biopsy, but I tend towards constipation also..

I always have Miralax in the house. I use it when needed.. a couple days of that and a stool softener usually helps.. but you can also try Benefiber, in addition to the Miralax..

I was told to take daily stool softeners, daily Benefiber, with the Miralax used as a last resort.. I found that to be a bit much, so I usually rely on the stool softeners and the miralax.. it helps within a day or 2..

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

In my opinion, you're not missing much. (Then again, I don't like peas.)

When I was a kid on a field trip (the whole class went) one of the things the school did was bring school lunches along for the students on the trip, including the ubiquitous milk carton. So the milk sat, in the bus, in the heat (it's hot more often than not down here), and of course  it went bad. I knew it was bad, I told the teacher it was bad, and I said (politely, because manners have been drummed into me since the cradle), that I wasn't going to drink the milk, because it was bad. The teacher made me drink it anyway. (Naturally, it made me sick--so sick they had to cut the trip short and get me back home. AWM had to take me to the hospital and she was not  happy. She tried to sue the school, but none of the local lawyers would take the case.) I still  can't drink milk without getting sick, and I know  it's psychosomatic. (And it probably didn't help that the stepmonster made it her mission to get me to drink as much milk as possible. Actually, she tried to force me to eat foods I couldn't stand quite a bit, which is strange. When you have a child that won't eat peas but will  eat broccoli, cauliflower, almost any kind of squash, asparagus, and is willing to try foods she's never seen or even heard of before, why  try to make her eat something she clearly hates?
My mother always forced me to eat things I didn't like.  I love broccoli and cauliflower - as long as it's raw.  I can't stand it cooked.  I would always nicely ask mom to leave some out for me to eat before she cooked it (she bought it fresh) but she never would.  And she would make me eat it.  And if I threw up because I didn't like it, she'd say I was forcing myself to and make me eat more.  I'll still eat them raw all day long but even the smell of them cooked makes me gag.  I could never figure out why she wouldn't leave me some raw.  It's not like it would have caused her any extra work.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like those veggies raw, too. Especially with bleu cheese or ranch dressing to dip them in. I've decided to eat them all raw now instead of cooked. Only ones I like cooked are peas, corn, and green beans. Spinach can go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.