The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poster has to be placed where all employees can read it. That's usually in the break room, which you probably don't have. It's huge, about 2 feet by 3 feet; you can't miss it. It sounds like your employer hasn't posted it, which is another violation of the law.
It might be the poster on the back of the office door. I've never read it.
I'm fairly certain you can make an anonymous call to the state/federal people to make a report, and as long as you never ever tell anyone I don't see how anyone could ever find out. That's not to say that the boss won't take it out on everyone, but it could improve things. I'll see if I can find a number.

OK, this looks helpful: https://www.dol.gov/whd/contact_us.htm
I've bookmarked it, in case I need it.

Yes, you can make an anonymous call to the state labor board, but if it is a small company, then They (employer) will probably know who it was.. they will have their 'snitch' find out.. sorry for the ugly language, but it is true..

I worked in a major teaching hospital.. We never got breaks.. we worked straight through to lunch; that is IF we got a lunch and an uninterrupted one at that.. no morning break, no afternoon break...

All of this was unpaid also... and they 'dared' us to make a stink..

Well, many years ago, people at a different major teaching hospital banded a group of employees together to file a suit against their employer for unpaid overtime.. they had their records complete... 

Yes, they won!! thousands and thousands of dollars....

Since that happened, all the hospitals installed a punch in time clock.. yup, a time clock.. to punch in and out in the day... not for lunches or breaks...and then the law was passed that we are "exempt" employees--required to work overtime.. it is forced overtime.. get paid for it.. but after a while, it did not matter... emergencies were one thing--no one complained about that, but if you had to work mandatory overtime because of someone else's poor work habits or time management, or patients arriving hours late for routine appointments.. well that is what really put you over the edge...

The bottom line is that some employers do not feel their employees are human.. that they have a life outside of work, or that they need rest... that is why I am for Unions to make a huge comeback..
At least it's better than what the Post Office did to AWM when she worked there. Yes, it was legally mandated that the employees take breaks, so while the employees were out delivering mail the manager would clock them out for thirty minutes (without telling them), and then clock them in again.

Don't you work in some kind of a chain store?  A Mini Mart or something?  I wonder whether these violations are happening at their other locations?  Maybe the whole chain needs to be reported, at either the federal or state level.  If it's the entire chain being investigated there's no way they could trace it back to you.

Margret
From my initial interview (and training class) I'm guessing it's the entire chain.

My sister called DD's child services case worker and got nothing but double talk.  I know what they're doing.  They're gonna wait until she has that baby then they're gonna take it away and adopt it out.  DD is too old to be adopted out and they can't make money off her so they don't give a damn what happens to her.
There are lawyers that offer free consultations. Take one; explain the situation. You're calling for help. Your sister is calling for help. They have assigned a case worker. Ask if there's any legal way for you to force them to help her--clearly she needs it and isn't getting it. Don't let DD fall through the cracks--it sounds like they're counting on no one making a stink about this. And if, after all of this, your suspicions are right and this is what they're doing--go public. Don't be afraid to take it to the media. Get enough power behind it and even a pebble can strike like a bullet.

It sucks when you're in an "at will" state.  Employers can fire you without even stating a reason.
It was part of my contract when I worked at as a Porter (and yes, I took the time to read  the contract; I read everything I sign) that either the employer or the employee could terminate the contract with or without notice or reason given. (I knew my days there were limited when every other employee hired by the manager that brought me in was sacked, but I worked my rear off for them.)

I was a union steward on my last job. I grew up in a country where unions have a lot of power. It used to be here the same but over the last 50 years fewer and fewer people belong to unions and it shows in the abuse that employers dish out to their employees. Also, most people still believe that unions are only for people who are plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc. I had a state job in an office, I was considered a "professional"  but as I was paid a set salary per month but not a supervisor or manager I was not an "exempt" employee and thus had to be paid OT for anything over 40 hrs per week.  Employers like Walmart have not only discouraged employees from joining unions but have gone so far as to fire employees under some pretext just for TALKING about a union. The only way this will change is if employees, fired or still working,  complain to labor commissions etc and insist on their rights. Walmart has now stopped persecuting employees over union talk but still makes it hard for them to do so. They abide by the letter of the law but not by its intent.
At our local Wal Mart, they just point to the lazy, self-centered, and parasitic unions of the post office. They actually use one of AWM's cases as an example--she had been working for the post office for years, she has enough college education to qualify for the position, and she was pretty much doing the job anyway, so when a management position opened up, she applied. And applied. And applied. In the end, they promoted a girl (early twenties) with no  college education, no  practical experience, but was young, pleasantly aesthetic (which AWM is not, unfortunately), and no will of her own. (I will give her this; working as a post office manager gave her a spine, and she learned to stand up for herself and for her employees, at which point she was promptly fired and replaced with another puppet.) AWM went to her local union rep. She went to the regional union rep. She went down to Florida  to meet with the union rep for the SE US--they did nothing. And yet, the union took ten percent of her paycheck right up until she quit. So--no need for propaganda here, just real life examples with real people. (AWM knows everyone. And, like I've mentioned, it is  a small town.)

John used to work at Wal*Mart.  He said in the back and in the break room they have all kinds of propaganda against unions and how evil they are.
Ours got fined for screaming sessions, where they'd line employees up (during their breaks, of course), and scream belittling comments at them until it was time to clock in again. Naturally, that management got fired and the current employees love the new manager. (A lot of them shop at my store, which is how I know.)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It would be in the working man's best interest to strengthen our unions now more than ever. It would be good to overthrow those stupid right to work laws. Which only benefits the business leaders. There will always be more workers than managers...not everyone wants to be a manager. One way to throw a monkey wrench into the current administration- quietly join up and create a union.

And I am sorry people are such bullies.

If they did a screaming session here there would be fist fights. The men would push back. We need men to stand up and join with the ladies and push back against these slime balls. This makes me so very angry.

A bit of a tidbit..our company got in trouble with the labor because they were not having us punch out for lunch. They always just took 30 min out for our lunch unless someone worked through break. Then there was the 5 hour rule- every 5 hours an employee must take 30 min break. Now you have to understand not all jobs are hard on the body so most of us here don't mind working through break IF we have to meet a ship date. We are pretty lax but now because someone uncovered this annoying law and they asked the company for a record of our breaks..so around December they started having us punch out for 30 min a day to "lunch". I find it sad/annoying that other companies don't follow the law and I hope they get caught. This is where the worker needs to take the initiative because like someone else said, if there is abuse, it won't stop unless people push back. Big numbers of people pushing back is more effective.

I am beyond P off that people have to be abused by employers..this kind of crap makes me more determined to stay In a union and do what I can to help both sides win. That's the problem..someone always wants power...and humans aren't happy unless someone is leading them...I see both sides but I have also seen employees take advantage...no words.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm awake much earlier than I need to be.  Guess I'm just way too excited to sleep.  Gonna need a lot of caffeine to make it through the whole day.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

I'm awake much earlier than I need to be.  Guess I'm just way too excited to sleep.  Gonna need a lot of caffeine to make it through the whole day.
You'll do great!   Hoping you have a wonderful time.  

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Connor just made himself very "happy" on "his" blanket.  *shakes head*  I'm gonna go take my shower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Connor just made himself very "happy" on "his" blanket.  *shakes head*  I'm gonna go take my shower.
Oh no!!   You have one of "Those" also.... 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It would be in the working man's best interest to strengthen our unions now more than ever. It would be good to overthrow those stupid right to work laws. Which only benefits the business leaders. There will always be more workers than managers...not everyone wants to be a manager. One way to throw a monkey wrench into the current administration- quietly join up and create a union.

And I am sorry people are such bullies.

If they did a screaming session here there would be fist fights. The men would push back. We need men to stand up and join with the ladies and push back against these slime balls. This makes me so very angry.

A bit of a tidbit..our company got in trouble with the labor because they were not having us punch out for lunch. They always just took 30 min out for our lunch unless someone worked through break. Then there was the 5 hour rule- every 5 hours an employee must take 30 min break. Now you have to understand not all jobs are hard on the body so most of us here don't mind working through break IF we have to meet a ship date. We are pretty lax but now because someone uncovered this annoying law and they asked the company for a record of our breaks..so around December they started having us punch out for 30 min a day to "lunch". I find it sad/annoying that other companies don't follow the law and I hope they get caught. This is where the worker needs to take the initiative because like someone else said, if there is abuse, it won't stop unless people push back. Big numbers of people pushing back is more effective.

I am beyond P off that people have to be abused by employers..this kind of crap makes me more determined to stay In a union and do what I can to help both sides win. That's the problem..someone always wants power...and humans aren't happy unless someone is leading them...I see both sides but I have also seen employees take advantage...no words.
It seems you're missing an important part of the problem around here--the union doesn't work for the workers here, in our area. What happened to AWM is just one of the most public examples. When the local unions exist to take a bite out of your paycheck and not do anything  when you've been wronged, what are  you supposed to do?

Good luck! 
 I hope your day is great!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I didn't miss your point. But a union at least guarentees you set hours, wages and set of duties that you are to do without being expected to do anothers job. So the legal issues aside a union keeps the wages higher. also people can sue the union. We have had a few people here who have started a lawsuit against the union for violating contract. Usually when they get the lawyers letter the union decides to fix what is wrong otherwise they will have to pay for the legal fees plus wages etc. for instance we had a steward that was not doing what they were supposed to do=someone got a lawyer involved...I don't have the details of what exactly the issue was as it's been about 12 years and I have since forgotten most things. But the point is getting a lawyer to confide in issues they may help you know your rights. No law saying you can't get a lawyer.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh no!!   You have one of "Those" also.... 
Yup.  I must say, I prefer him using the blanket to him pinning his brothers and humping them.  He finished with the blanket then spent 10 minutes licking himself, then went to sleep.  Purring the whole time.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
My "guy" usually gets happy while I am watching TV and have his soft fuzzy fleece throw on my lap... Yup, several times!! He just jumps down, washes up, and then comes over for more!! 

crazy cat..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty and Little Bit just had the cutest flirting session outside the back door...well, Hekitty was on one side of the glass, LB on the other, but still...They sat and warbled at each other for a good 10 minutes.  He's gonna be SOOOOOOOOOO disappointed when he realizes she's spayed!  And so disgusted if I ever get my paws on him, ''cause HE'S gonna be neutered! And deflea-ed.  And inoculated.  And otherwise trifled with.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ended up not working tonight after all.  I guess there was a bit of a scheduling mix-up.  Two other girls were starting tonight, too so he asked if I could just come back tomorrow for my first day.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't miss your point. But a union at least guarentees you set hours, wages and set of duties that you are to do without being expected to do anothers job. So the legal issues aside a union keeps the wages higher. also people can sue the union. We have had a few people here who have started a lawsuit against the union for violating contract. Usually when they get the lawyers letter the union decides to fix what is wrong otherwise they will have to pay for the legal fees plus wages etc. for instance we had a steward that was not doing what they were supposed to do=someone got a lawyer involved...I don't have the details of what exactly the issue was as it's been about 12 years and I have since forgotten most things. But the point is getting a lawyer to confide in issues they may help you know your rights. No law saying you can't get a lawyer.
Not everyone has the finances to hire a lawyer, and the ones that give free consultations wouldn't take the case.

Hekitty and Little Bit just had the cutest flirting session outside the back door...well, Hekitty was on one side of the glass, LB on the other, but still...They sat and warbled at each other for a good 10 minutes.  He's gonna be SOOOOOOOOOO disappointed when he realizes she's spayed!  And so disgusted if I ever get my paws on him, ''cause HE'S gonna be neutered! And deflea-ed.  And inoculated.  And otherwise trifled with.

Ended up not working tonight after all.  I guess there was a bit of a scheduling mix-up.  Two other girls were starting tonight, too so he asked if I could just come back tomorrow for my first day.
Life happens. Look on the bright side--when the caffeine leaves you can sleep.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not upset.  Life happens.  And I got my school money early so we're going out to dinner and taking my grandma along.  And we're going to Colton's.  :)  It is the nicest restaurant in town, after all.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, my darlings!  You have not truly lived until you have listened to Michael Bolton and Stephen Colbert sing an enchanting love song to a groundhog while drinking a significant amount of Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot....erm...that would be me drinking the merlot, not Michael Bolton, Stephen Colbert or the groundhog;  At least, I don't think any of them were drinking blackberry merlot, but I could be wrong.  And now, I bid you a fond, fond goodnight.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, my darlings!  You have not truly lived until you have listened to Michael Bolton and Stephen Colbert sing an enchanting love song to a groundhog while drinking a significant amount of Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot....erm...that would be me drinking the merlot, not Michael Bolton, Stephen Colbert or the groundhog;  At least, I don't think any of them were drinking blackberry merlot, but I could be wrong.  And now, I bid you a fond, fond goodnight.
I love Stephen Colbert. I watch him every night but last night I fell asleep and did not wake up until 1:15. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not upset.  Life happens.  And I got my school money early so we're going out to dinner and taking my grandma along.  And we're going to Colton's.  :)  It is the nicest restaurant in town, after all.

I don't know--why else would they be serenading the groundhog? 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were they trying to get him to unsee his shadow?

It really is the nicest restaurant in town and I'm not saying that just cuz I work there.  Other than Colton's, we have a Ruby Tuesdays and a Pancake City (a cute - and delicious - little diner).  And then a butt load of fast food places, 2 little Mexican restaurants and 2 Chinese restaurants.  Colton's wins hands down.

My boss saw us and came over to say hi, then had 20% taken off our check.  And Grandma loved it.  I about had to be rolled out of there but it's been so long since I've had a steak!  And I couldn't save it and bring it home - it would be a sin to refrigerate and reheat that delicious piece of heaven.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

It really is the nicest restaurant in town and I'm not saying that just cuz I work there.  Other than Colton's, we have a Ruby Tuesdays and a Pancake City (a cute - and delicious - little diner).  And then a butt load of fast food places, 2 little Mexican restaurants and 2 Chinese restaurants.  Colton's wins hands down.

My boss saw us and came over to say hi, then had 20% taken off our check.  And Grandma loved it.  I about had to be rolled out of there but it's been so long since I've had a steak!  And I couldn't save it and bring it home - it would be a sin to refrigerate and reheat that delicious piece of heaven.
Glad you went out and enjoyed yourself.. 

Having the manager come over to say 'Hi' and then take 20% off your check is awesome.. and shows what a nice place it should be to work in.....

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Sometimes, you just have to give up, give in, and do yourself a damage in the pursuit of culinary delight!

Status
Not open for further replies.