Bed with snuggly scrap from left-over pad material

Plastic shelf "framework"

Cover, partially installed

o
Completed Shelter with bed installed

Shelter in place on back porch

Rear view of shelter showing entrance "alleyway"
Ha! Love it! 
 And the garden fairies are awesome, by the way.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an old, beat up scratching post with a platform for the top.  The thing is, in addition to having destroyed the sisal (thank you for the explanation of how to fix that), every time Jasmine jumps to the top of it she unscrews the platform just a little bit more, until eventually it falls off.  Any idea how to fix it so the platform stays put?

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is the hospital charging you interest?  If so, which one is cheaper - that of the credit card or that of the hospital?  That's one way to decide.  However, I do think you are risking damaging your credit if you can't actually pay anything one month due to scheduling issues.  Credit card companies also use missed payments to jack up the interest even higher.  If I were you, I'd keep paying the hospital bill as you're doing..

You should be building credit, however.  I don't know how much it will help to pay off the hospital bill.  You might get a credit card for routine purchases that you already have budgeted to pay.  For example, if you order cat food from amazon, you could get an amazon credit card and pay it off each month.  I think gas credit cards are good for this, as well.  

I think you are wise to worry about credit card debt. 
See, that's the thing that's confusing me about this; as long as I pay something  every month (it doesn't have to be a lot), I'm not getting charged interest on the hospital bill. (I checked.) I would  be charged interest on the credit card, and most credit cards (at least the ones that apply with my "no credit" rating) have  a monthly fee. A fee which, may I reiterate, I'm not sure I can afford. (Like I said, it's all I can do pull out the twenty--and even then I usually end up spending it before the end of the week.)
Don't use credit cards to pay off hospital debt! Hospital debt is treated differently than regular debt, even when sent to collections, and if you make regular payments (no matter how small), they won't send it to collections. So keep doing what you're doing. Now, you probably should start building good credit, but for that just get a low-limit card, only use it for things you already have the cash for, and pay it off every month. That's the best way to build good credit. But definitely do not put hospital debt on a credit card.
I'm trying really  hard to keep my bill from going to collections. It's depressing to think of how little I've managed to dent it, but RB said I'm looking at it wrong: he says that instead of looking at how far I have to go on paying the bill, I should look at how much I've paid. (And I'm keeping all my receipts.)

I agree with the above posters. Pay off the hospital bill as you're doing, and get a credit card for other purchases. They are essential in the modern world. Just don't go wild and buy everything in sight until you reach the limit. Only buy what you can afford to pay off at the end of the month. They are also useful in the event of a sudden emergency.

If you don't have credit now, it may be difficult to get a big name card. Gas company cards are the easiest ones to get, and you can easily pay for your gas purchases with it. This will give you a credit history and you can get a Visa, MasterCard, or Discovery later.

I have assumed you have a checking account. If you don't, start with that.
I have a checking account--sort of. I'm sharing it with AWM--it was primarily her  account. I used  to have a checking account (same bank), but they started at new policy where if you don't have at least two hundred dollars in your account at one time during a month they charged five dollars--and I didn't, so I closed the account. Would a shared account work?
I agree with everyone else on this, but have one thing to add.  Before you get the big name credit card, do some research online.  Look for a card that actually gives you cash back.  I don't have personal experience with this (yet), but my friend Sara uses a credit card for everything, paying it off every month, because with cash back it's actually cheaper for her to do it that way than to pay cash.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A much older friend of mine told me that her husband will lose his legs one day because of ongoing issues with them
I'm not exactly sure what he has but it sounds like a circulation problem in his legs which causes frequent infections and pain. I guess the husband was told by the doctor this week about eventually losing his legs. I can't imagine what my friend and her husband may be going through. She said they're both upset but are ok with the news if it means no more infections and pain. 
to the two of them. My friend is a RN so I'm sure she will be able to care for her husband when that time comes. They have two adult sons whom I'm sure will help out.
Sounds to me like complications of diabetes.  If that's it, then really good control of his sugar levels could turn it around.

My brother was told several years ago that he had macular degeneration, an eye disease that eventually progresses to blindness.  Since it can run in families, I've been making sure that I get checked for it every time I go in for new glasses, but I recently found out that my brother has a new diagnosis; it isn't really macular degeneration; it's something called myopic degeneration, which is caused by extreme near-sightedness and is frequently misdiagnosed as macular degeneration.  So, yes, my brother still has poor eyesight, but it's correctable with a proper lens prescription and he isn't going blind after all.

My point is that prognoses are not 100% accurate.  There are all kinds of things that can change them.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put the hospital bill on a card.  Of course they want you to do that - they get their money and they don't care what happens to you after.  Sorry, I'm a bit of a cynic, anymore.

Love the shelter!!!  Glad he's using it!!!

Well, I've mentioned the issues with my sister being abused.  It's only getting worse.  Something MAY end up happening with it, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'll try to make a long story short.  The piece of crap was insulting and putting my mom down so DD stood up for her and he chased DD up the stairs, grabbed her by her hair, threw her around, slammed her head into the wall, and somehow she ended up with a pretty big bruise on her arm.  She made it into the bedroom and called Christi (other sister) who called the cops.  He didn't get arrested.  I called trying to figure out why.  Apparently, in Iowa, the cops can't arrest him until cfs (or whatever they call it there) builds up a case and decides they want him arrested.  The deputy I talked to seemed pretty put out that he couldn't arrest the SOB.  They're putting together a criminal case on it.  In the meantime, DD is still stuck there.  Cfs is wanting "family counseling."  Yeah, that's gonna do SO much good.  I drove to Iowa on the pretense of "seeing their new house" and I have DD here with me having "sister bonding time."  So she's safe for tonight.  But I have to give her back tomorrow.  Or it's kidnapping.  I'm just so frustrated.  She's not safe and there's not a damn thing I can do to protect her.  Not to mention, she's pregnant.  I really think my head is going to explode.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds to me like complications of diabetes.  If that's it, then really good control of his sugar levels could turn it around.

My brother was told several years ago that he had macular degeneration, an eye disease that eventually progresses to blindness.  Since it can run in families, I've been making sure that I get checked for it every time I go in for new glasses, but I recently found out that my brother has a new diagnosis; it isn't really macular degeneration; it's something called myopic degeneration, which is caused by extreme near-sightedness and is frequently misdiagnosed as macular degeneration.  So, yes, my brother still has poor eyesight, but it's correctable with a proper lens prescription and he isn't going blind after all.

My point is that prognoses are not 100% accurate.  There are all kinds of things that can change them.

Margret
AWM has macular degeneration, but I'm not going to get tested for it. Let me explain why: it actually starts in Wiesbaden, Germany. DD was stationed in Germany in the time, and AWM and I were with him. (I was old enough not to be breast feeding, but not old enough to start eating solid food yet.) I can't remember the exact time, but AWM and DD were in the town while Chernobyl blew, just to give you a rough idea of the time period. Fast forward years. I went to donate blood. The first three times I went my iron count was way too low and the fourth and fifth time I actually donated. My sixth time trying to donate blood there was a new question on the sheet. Was in Germany around such and such date? Yes, yes I was. So they said that, due to a mad cow outbreak, I couldn't donate blood. (Which is putting it mildly--they went searching for the donation numbers so that they could find and destroy the blood I'd already donated.) Anyway--getting off the rant and back on topic, a couple years afterwards I went to renew my license and discovered that, somehow, they put out an alert  on my information preventing me from being an organ donor!
 Anyway, I don't like that they were able to do that, and it makes me wary about going to an eye doctor. What if I have it? What if I'm having a bad day (or tired, or sick, or a myriad of other things than affect your eyes) and the doctor determines that I'm legally blind? Can he get my driving license revoked? I don't know--and that's why I'll never get tested for it.

I wouldn't put the hospital bill on a card.  Of course they want you to do that - they get their money and they don't care what happens to you after.  Sorry, I'm a bit of a cynic, anymore.

Love the shelter!!!  Glad he's using it!!!

Well, I've mentioned the issues with my sister being abused.  It's only getting worse.  Something MAY end up happening with it, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'll try to make a long story short.  The piece of crap was insulting and putting my mom down so DD stood up for her and he chased DD up the stairs, grabbed her by her hair, threw her around, slammed her head into the wall, and somehow she ended up with a pretty big bruise on her arm.  She made it into the bedroom and called Christi (other sister) who called the cops.  He didn't get arrested.  I called trying to figure out why.  Apparently, in Iowa, the cops can't arrest him until cfs (or whatever they call it there) builds up a case and decides they want him arrested.  The deputy I talked to seemed pretty put out that he couldn't arrest the SOB.  They're putting together a criminal case on it.  In the meantime, DD is still stuck there.  Cfs is wanting "family counseling."  Yeah, that's gonna do SO much good.  I drove to Iowa on the pretense of "seeing their new house" and I have DD here with me having "sister bonding time."  So she's safe for tonight.  But I have to give her back tomorrow.  Or it's kidnapping.  I'm just so frustrated.  She's not safe and there's not a damn thing I can do to protect her.  Not to mention, she's pregnant.  I really think my head is going to explode.
Maybe you're trying to help from the wrong perspective. Please don't take this as prying, but how far along is she? There's a chance that the unborn child can be used to child services to intervene, and they have a way  longer leash than law enforcement, if the way things work down here is any indication. You could try contacting them.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Child services is involved.  That's what I meant by cfs.  They're the ones who think family counseling will fix everything.  *rolls eyes*  He's been beating on my mother for nearly 25 years and knocked me around from age 4 to age 16 when I ran away to my Grandma's.  That's when he started hitting DD and Christi - I wasn't there to protect them anymore.  I still feel guilty about it but I couldn't take anymore.  He pushed Christi down the stairs when she was pregnant and caused her to go into premature labor.  No one has ever done anything about him.  They just don't care.  Cfs won't let me or Christi have DD (we're both willing) because we're in Missouri and she's in Iowa.  They won't remove her from the home because they say they have nowhere for her to go.  It's ridiculous.  And she's around 3 months.  Due at the end of July.

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Child services is involved.  That's what I meant by cfs.  They're the ones who think family counseling will fix everything.  *rolls eyes*  He's been beating on my mother for nearly 25 years and knocked me around from age 4 to age 16 when I ran away to my Grandma's.  That's when he started hitting DD and Christi - I wasn't there to protect them anymore.  I still feel guilty about it but I couldn't take anymore.  He pushed Christi down the stairs when she was pregnant and caused her to go into premature labor.  No one has ever done anything about him.  They just don't care.  Cfs won't let me or Christi have DD (we're both willing) because we're in Missouri and she's in Iowa.  They won't remove her from the home because they say they have nowhere for her to go.  It's ridiculous.  And she's around 3 months.  Due at the end of July.
All right, this may seem like a logical step for me, but I live in an area where there's literally one every third of a mile at least. Have you tried going to a church? Several of them have programs designed to help women out of the situation your DD is in. (And don't feel guilty--if you hadn't left you wouldn't be who you are today.) You can try claiming sanctuary (http://modernnotion.com/church-sanctuary/  ), and even if they don't, they might be able to direct you to a church that does

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Yay!!!!!  It's a success!!!! 

The SFS looks great - no one would ever guess what it was concealing.  I'm actually kind of surprised that Little Bit figured it out.  How wonderful that he now has a shelter.  And, uh, it appears that you now have two cats. 
Oh, GOD, I wish I could really make him "my cat."  Between the regulations for the complex, and the additional cost of vet bills, I just couldn't handle it.  And he won't let me near him.  OK...so...last night, but he didn't come out of his house, and I'm sure he thought I couldn't see him in there.

LOL...Little bit has the roundest eyes I've ever seen on any cat with the exception of some Persians and Exotics SHs!  He looks perpetually startled.  

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

All right, this may seem like a logical step for me, but I live in an area where there's literally one every third of a mile at least. Have you tried going to a church? Several of them have programs designed to help women out of the situation your DD is in. (And don't feel guilty--if you hadn't left you wouldn't be who you are today.) You can try claiming sanctuary (http://modernnotion.com/church-sanctuary/  ), and even if they don't, they might be able to direct you to a church that does
She's only 16, though.  Still a minor.  So would she even be able to do that?  And where they moved is 2 hours away from me.  Which makes it even worse because I can't get there to help her if she needs it.  I used money I didn't have for gas last night.  And now I'm trying to figure out how to get cat litter.  It would be so much easier if my tax refund was here already.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
@Alicia88  

Is your sister in a situation where she can call child services herself?  If so, she should call them every time there is an incident.  You and your other sister should call as well, but she is old enough that they should listen to her.   If they get calls from all three of you every time something happens, perhaps they will start taking this more seriously.  

Another thing you might consider is calling Legal Aid and explaining the situation to them.  If you or your sister were to apply for custody, the judge would take your younger sister's preferences into consideration because she is 16.   

It is really very sad that your mother has been so browbeaten by this person.  

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is.  They keep taking her phone away from her to "punish" her.  So she may or may not have access to a phone to get help.  If I had the money, I'd get her a phone to keep hidden.  I'll look for a legal aid number and call tomorrow.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, it is.  They keep taking her phone away from her to "punish" her.  So she may or may not have access to a phone to get help.  If I had the money, I'd get her a phone to keep hidden.  I'll look for a legal aid number and call tomorrow.
Can she declare Emancipation from your parents?

https://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool...ry=billinfo&service=IowaCode&ga=83&input=232C

@Tallyollyopia   do not put the whole hospital bill on the credit card.  Part of the credit score is based on your used credit/credit limit ratio.  Also with the interest rate you would pay double if not triple the amount assuming you managed to pay it off.  When you know how much you have to put towards the bill, put that amount on the credit card and pay off the card.  Since no one has mentioned this I will, make sure you get a card without an annual fee.

Credit card interest rates range from approx 13% to 22%.  I don't know how much you owe but that is $13 to $22 dollars per $100 of credit a year. or approx. $1 to $1.80 a month.  If they compound interest then you will be paying interest on the interest.

@Mamanyt1953   I love the SFS. 

I have no idea what I did.  For the first time since doing the Whole 30 Challenge I ate or took something that I shouldn't have.  I don't know what it is.  According to my KIAS it had to have been a few days ago.  All my joints ache.  My fingers, ankles, my neck - everywhere  and I have a bad headache.  Last night I was so hot I was pushing blankets off me.  I feel like I'm 80 years old.  I called in sick to work last night but have to go in today.  Hopefully it will not take long to get the toxic substance out of my body.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not my parents.  Just my mom.  I am in no way related to that piece of garbage.  And I don't know.  In Missouri, she could have.  I don't know about Iowa.  Christi googled it and said Iowa doesn't have emancipation laws for 16 year olds, but I feel like her being pregnant could open up some kind of loophole.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Great! 
 Can't wait to see the pics!

Yeah, but it makes a loud noise when it works, and a lot of cats hate loud noises.

Point--this only works if the cats haven't dug into the support, destroying its integrity. 
I don't know what you are talking about "noise". The LitterRobot is so quiet that some people have it in their bedroom, it makes less noise than a can opener. Maybe you are talking about a different electric litter box?

My scratching post is solid wood, I didn't know there was any other kind.. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have an old, beat up scratching post with a platform for the top.  The thing is, in addition to having destroyed the sisal (thank you for the explanation of how to fix that), every time Jasmine jumps to the top of it she unscrews the platform just a little bit more, until eventually it falls off.  Any idea how to fix it so the platform stays put?

Margret
I assume that the two pieces are put together with a screw of some sort. You can get a lock washer at the hardware store that fits on it and then put the two pieces together again, that should stop Jasmine from unscrewing it. Be sure to really cram it together. Hope this works for you.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She's only 16, though.  Still a minor.  So would she even be able to do that?  And where they moved is 2 hours away from me.  Which makes it even worse because I can't get there to help her if she needs it.  I used money I didn't have for gas last night.  And now I'm trying to figure out how to get cat litter.  It would be so much easier if my tax refund was here already.
I don't see where it would make a difference, actually. She's in trouble, she can't help herself, and there's a child at risk (at this point, legally speaking, I think the unborn counts as a child). I do  know (although I'm probably not supposed to) that local churches have programs that help children being abused (and when I say children, I mean four to twelve years old) by kidnapping them and moving them right out of the state with a new identity if necessary. (While our local child services have a longer leash than the police, it's not much  longer.) Again, you need to consult with the leaders of the church about it.

Can she declare Emancipation from your parents?

https://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool...ry=billinfo&service=IowaCode&ga=83&input=232C

@Tallyollyopia   do not put the whole hospital bill on the credit card.  Part of the credit score is based on your used credit/credit limit ratio.  Also with the interest rate you would pay double if not triple the amount assuming you managed to pay it off.  When you know how much you have to put towards the bill, put that amount on the credit card and pay off the card.  Since no one has mentioned this I will, make sure you get a card without an annual fee.

Credit card interest rates range from approx 13% to 22%.  I don't know how much you owe but that is $13 to $22 dollars per $100 of credit a year. or approx. $1 to $1.80 a month.  If they compound interest then you will be paying interest on the interest.

@Mamanyt1953   I love the SFS. 

I have no idea what I did.  For the first time since doing the Whole 30 Challenge I ate or took something that I shouldn't have.  I don't know what it is.  According to my KIAS it had to have been a few days ago.  All my joints ache.  My fingers, ankles, my neck - everywhere  and I have a bad headache.  Last night I was so hot I was pushing blankets off me.  I feel like I'm 80 years old.  I called in sick to work last night but have to go in today.  Hopefully it will not take long to get the toxic substance out of my body.
Which brings back all my intrinsic fears of credit cards. 

I don't know what you are talking about "noise". The LitterRobot is so quiet that some people have it in their bedroom, it makes less noise than a can opener. Maybe you are talking about a different electric litter box?

My scratching post is solid wood, I didn't know there was any other kind.. 
Oh, yes. As far as I can tell (and this might be regional, I don't know) most scratching posts have a hollow cardboard core--which makes it both bio-degradable (which is big thing down here, although I, personally, think that a wood core would be just  as biodegradable--and reusable to boot!) and much, weaker. It is exceptionally easy for a cat to scratch too deeply and damage the integrity of the cardboard core.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My name's on the account. We set it up before I started this job. (This job doesn't do physical paychecks; only direct deposit. And while they did supply a pay card--the terms and conditions for use were obscene. Six  dollars charge anywhere but a store ATM, and then a three  dollar charge on every transaction? No thank you!)
OK, weighing in on this also. Keep paying the hospital the way you have been as they do not charge you any interest. With your income being erratic to start a credit card is a bad idea as you won't know if you have enough money to pay the card when it is due. The banks make money from credit cards when people do not pay it off every month as they will then charge interest which is added to your balance, every missed payment jacks up the interest rate some more.

For right now stay away from a credit card, even one with a low limit, until you have a steady income you can count on every week or month. You are building credit by having a checking account even if it is a shared account.

Once you have a steady income you can shop around for a credit card  with a low limit and always pay it all off every month, DO NOT let a balance carry over into the next month so don't charge more than you can afford to pay off every month. This is where you need self-control.

When you shop for  a credit card (best done on the internet where you can compare) you won't want one that has a monthly fee but one that has the lowest interest rate just in case you need it.. The best ones are the ones with a "cash back" feature", Discover Card was the first to start that about 40 years ago or more and they are still in business. Many other cards now have that feature also.

Regarding paychecks: the company can require direct deposit but they are still required to give you a pay stub so you can see what kind of deductions were taken and that you were paid for all hours worked, some employers cheat their employees out of money that way.  

Status
Not open for further replies.