The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The house guests from hell threw away the center pole of our Christmas tree.  Fortunately, they kept all the branches.  I went to Home Depot the other day and bought a new pole so I can drill holes into it and have my tree again.  Now all I need is a stand; the only ones I've been able to find in stores so far are intended for "live" (i.e. dying) trees, and they expect a larger trunk diameter.

What with my mother's death in February, this year it somehow seems more important to have a Christmas tree.  Something from my childhood.

Margret
The tree in the post above is a real tree.

But you can easily make a stand for a real tree fit the pole tou are making for the fake tree. You just have to drill 2 holes comletely perpendicular to each other into the base and make sure you get "pins" (aka the things you twist into the holes in the stand to secure the trunk of the tree) which are long enough to screw into the homes you make in the pole. They sell the large pins at Home Depot.
I was referring to @Tallyollyopia's post, which quoted yours, about someone taking the pole from the center of her artificial tree.  I have my preferences set to quote nested quotes.

Thank you.  Yes, I'm planning on taking one of the screws that came with the $10 stand I got at Target to Home Depot tomorrow.  If I can replace all four of them with screws just one inch longer, that will do it, no problem.

If that doesn't work, I may have to resort to Walmart, though I hate to patronize them.  I don't like the way they take advantage of their employees.  I'll try Sears first.

I love this particular tree -- it seems to me to be better than the really expensive ones from Balsam Hill.  The needles are simple plastic in a dark forest green, but they put lighter colored needles on the end of each branch.  When I was a kid, we would put a pine scented candle in the same room (didn't even have to light the candle) and everyone would think it was real.  I can't do the candle thing now, because Roger is allergic to artificial scents, but the tree will still be gorgeous.

I have an angel for the tree top.  My mother designed and made it.  She got a small doll with porcelain face and arms, and tatted the gown and wings, then added sparkle glue.  I used to have it displayed on top of my bookcase under a glass dome, but Jasmine kept getting on top of the bookcase and pushing it off.  Sigh.  At least she can't push my unabridged dictionary off -- it's too heavy for her.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What is on my mind ??? lol Do cats have built in time clocks. No joke. They wake me up around same time every day. They know when it is food time, + they also know when to settle down for the night. Most of all we must not forget snack time. lol
@Mamanyt1953 told me that when she was under the weather, Hekitty would herd her into the bedroom every night at the same time.  Hekitty did not tolerate any kind of stupid human excuses, either, like a change from DST.

Well, it's better than insisting that she stay up late to swing DaBird around, anyway.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like sibling rivalry or pecking order stuff.  Given that Princess is getting too cold, I would have to say that it's time for you to assert your authority -- you are at the top of the pecking order.  When you're ready to go to bed, pick Princess up and take her into the bedroom with you and pointedly shut Asia out.  And if Asia starts trying to restrict Princess's ability to eat, feed them in different rooms with a closed door in between.  Those are the two really important ones, the things that could actually cause physical harm to Princess.  If you can take care of those two, it should be safe to let the cats work the rest of it out on their own.

Margret

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I was referring to @Tallyollyopia's post, which quoted yours, about someone taking the pole from the center of her artificial tree.  I have my preferences set to quote nested quotes.

Thank you.  Yes, I'm planning on taking one of the screws that came with the $10 stand I got at Target to Home Depot tomorrow.  If I can replace all four of them with screws just one inch longer, that will do it, no problem.

If that doesn't work, I may have to resort to Walmart, though I hate to patronize them.  I don't like the way they take advantage of their employees.  I'll try Sears first.

I love this particular tree -- it seems to me to be better than the really expensive ones from Balsam Hill.  The needles are simple plastic in a dark forest green, but they put lighter colored needles on the end of each branch.  When I was a kid, we would put a pine scented candle in the same room (didn't even have to light the candle) and everyone would think it was real.  I can't do the candle thing now, because Roger is allergic to artificial scents, but the tree will still be gorgeous.

I have an angel for the tree top.  My mother designed and made it.  She got a small doll with porcelain face and arms, and tatted the gown and wings, then added sparkle glue.  I used to have it displayed on top of my bookcase under a glass dome, but Jasmine kept getting on top of the bookcase and pushing it off.  Sigh.  At least she can't push my unabridged dictionary off -- it's too heavy for her.

Margret
Oh, your tree sounds beautiful! especially with the angel on top. I always had an angel on the top of my tree..your angel is so special.. an angel given to you by your mom.. very, very special....

What a great memory of your mom..

Good luck getting the post and such...

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom set up our tree yesterday. It has a lot of plastic ornaments on it since we didn't know how Ruby would do with the tree. She attacked it viciously initially, and now ignores it. 

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My mom set up our tree yesterday. It has a lot of plastic ornaments on it since we didn't know how Ruby would do with the tree. She attacked it viciously initially, and now ignores it. 
That is cool. Tis is a cat proof tree I got 2 years ago. All ornaments are cat safe. My only not safe is the lights + a piece of garland. I will only have the tree lit when I am by it. Since Cally has not bothered the tree at all since black Friday when I put it up I thought I will try this. If she stays good kitty... then lights stay

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm debating on whether or not to take a lunch break today.  I can take an optional 30 minute unpaid lunch when I work a full shift, which I am tonight.  I want the money, but I'm getting very frustrated with people.  "I thought I would get a new car but it was really old.  It was a 2016."  Actual quote.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a very large and beautiful artificial tree which i picked up on the curb, somebody was throwing it away. It stays up even with a cat climbing in it, and several have over the years. But it's so big that it takes two or three evenings to decorate and I don't feel up to that much work this year,so I got a small tree at goodwill. Of course Taz pulled it over within minutes of my putting the first ornament on it.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the recycled paper cat litter? I sure would like to reduce the dust and tracking around the house.

LittleQuill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 Originally Posted by Sheri Brown  

Has anyone tried the recycled paper cat litter? I sure would like to reduce the dust and tracking around the house.
I have. For that very same reason. While I was using it, I loved it, and so did my cats. It seemed to be very good with odor, and was easy to clean out. I bought a big bag of the stuff (like 4 or 5 kilos), and it lasted me about 6 months, whereas other cat litters barely last me a month. Aside from that, there was no tracked mess, which meant a cleaner house. Best yet, it's healthier for the cats too cause there's no dust. Kinda makes me want to go back to using it actually. Only downside for me was that it was expensive in comparison to clumping litters. If you're thinking about trying it, go for it. I think it's worth it. :)

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

I'm debating on whether or not to take a lunch break today.  I can take an optional 30 minute unpaid lunch when I work a full shift, which I am tonight.  I want the money, but I'm getting very frustrated with people.  "I thought I would get a new car but it was really old.  It was a 2016."  Actual quote.
What kind of person would call a 2016 car "old"? The 2017 models came out just a few months ago. What would that person say about my 1996 car? Vintage? Ancient? Museum piece? Bet I pay less on insurance and registration and since I'm retired I don't drive all that much anymore so the relatively low mileage I get is not that important. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The house guests from hell threw away the center pole of our Christmas tree.  Fortunately, they kept all the branches.  I went to Home Depot the other day and bought a new pole so I can drill holes into it and have my tree again.  Now all I need is a stand; the only ones I've been able to find in stores so far are intended for "live" (i.e. dying) trees, and they expect a larger trunk diameter.

What with my mother's death in February, this year it somehow seems more important to have a Christmas tree.  Something from my childhood.

Margret
There are some years when you just have to bend over backwards to make the traditions work, for your  mental health. I think we've all been there. If we haven't--either we don't celebrate this particular holiday or we haven't lived long enough yet.

I've gotten a title loan before.  Everything went fine - the interest rate was a bit high (20%) but I didn't have any other options and I paid it off really early so it wasn't too bad.

Asia sounds like she's being a little witch with a b.  I have no idea what to suggest.  Mickey was being an arse to Connor and Murphy.  I picked him up, told him "no" in a very stern voice, and put him back down.  He stopped but it was about a week after his neutering so I don't know if my stern "no" did anything at all or if it was the hormones settling down after the neutering.
It's always hard to tell with cats, what works and why.

Margret
You might do better to find it at an art, or hobby store. I know that one of the galleries downtown here sells them as "canvas backers" or whatever those are, and they're cheaper than the Wal-Mart equivalent. (Which doesn't say much, now that I think of it.) It sounds like a beautiful tree, and at least your angel survived the house guests from Hell.

It sounds like sibling rivalry or pecking order stuff.  Given that Princess is getting too cold, I would have to say that it's time for you to assert your authority -- you are at the top of the pecking order.  When you're ready to go to bed, pick Princess up and take her into the bedroom with you and pointedly shut Asia out.  And if Asia starts trying to restrict Princess's ability to eat, feed them in different rooms with a closed door in between.  Those are the two really important ones, the things that could actually cause physical harm to Princess.  If you can take care of those two, it should be safe to let the cats work the rest of it out on their own.

Margret
I had to pick her up and put her in my bed (covering her up with the heated blanket) after she insisted on going outside in the rain. (She loves rain, but didn't pay attention to the fact that it was cold.) Asia jumped on the bed and curled around the Princess lump purring her little heart out while Princess shivered and slowly warmed up. (I was frightened for a little bit--she was so cold!), but the incident seems to have fixed the disagreement between the two of them.

When we were kids and at the "breakables breaking" phases of our developments, AWM kept all the ornaments in a box and just decorated the tree with candy canes. As we got older, and less prone to breaking things, the ornaments slowly appeared on the tree. (Funny thing; now we have too many ornaments for our tree because people visiting thought the reason the tree was decorated with candy canes was because we didn't  have any and kept giving us some! 
) I'm wondering, if we do a tree this year, if we should do the same for the cats, but at the same time I'm worried about what would happen if the candycanes fell off, broke open, and the cats lapped some of the candy before we cleaned it up. Do candy canes hurt cats? 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What kind of person would call a 2016 car "old"? The 2017 models came out just a few months ago. What would that person say about my 1996 car? Vintage? Ancient? Museum piece? Bet I pay less on insurance and registration and since I'm retired I don't drive all that much anymore so the relatively low mileage I get is not that important. 
That's what I'm thinking.  Does she think car rental companies replace their cars as soon as the new models come out?  So snobby.

A few months ago, a woman said "The car was really old and had a lot of miles; 30,000."  And I'm driving a 2001 with almost 100k on it.  These people baffle me.

And the things they complain about - one woman was ticked off because she fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident.  How is that the rental company's fault?  It's all ridiculous.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm thinking.  Does she think car rental companies replace their cars as soon as the new models come out?  So snobby.
A few months ago, a woman said "The car was really old and had a lot of miles; 30,000."  And I'm driving a 2001 with almost 100k on it.  These people baffle me.
And the things they complain about - one woman was ticked off because she fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident.  How is that the rental company's fault?  It's all ridiculous.
Omg I drive a 2005 with nearly 200,000 miles on it. How snobby do you have to be to say 30,000 is a lot of miles???

And blaming the rental company for having an accident while falling asleep at the wheel? That's ridiculous. Hopefully she doesn't sue. Because if she does, she'll look ridiculous trying to convince a judge that it was somehow the rental company's fault that she fell asleep at the wheel.

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 20 year old car has only 110,000 miles on it. I had wrecked my van, also 20 years old with 190,000 miles on it, and I had to get something, anything superfast and this car fell into my lap for only $500. A new car was out of the question, I needed something that I could buy for cash.  It is immaculate on the inside and has no dents anywhere, some really old people sold it to me who had it parked in the California sun which ate the paint. With a new cheapy paint job it'll look like new and my mechanic says it will run well for another 5 years. It doesn't look much different from today's sedans.
Lucky you! I got my car 5 years ago with 127,000 miles on it. I have since added 50,000 onto that. But my car has minor issues that I can't afford to fix at the moment.

My electric locks do not work at all (which is fine with me as I can just use the key). The lever that you pull to get access to the gas tank does not work anymore, and it's the same lever that opens the trunk so I can't open my trunk from inside the car anymore (no big deal, I just use the key) the gas tank thing is a pain in the butt because I have to open the trunk and pull the emergency release wire in order to get access to my gas tank. My car most definitely needs a new battery or a new alternator because my headlights and interior lights flicker really noticeably at night. And it has a minor exhaust leak that makes the engine pretty loud. Also the back bumper and side panel are cracked because some lady tried to back out of a space in my university parking garage going like 20 miles per hour and she slammed into the back of my car! I decided not to report it though because I didn't want my insurance to go up.

But hey, it runs.

The next things to be fixed will most definitely be the battery and the lever for the gas cap/trunk.

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm telling you; these people are crazy.  I talk to hundreds of people every day and a lot of them are full on nuts.  And how hard is it to just give a scale answer?  

"I know you said 100% which is the same thing as completely but unless you say the word "completely," I can't enter your response."  

You have no idea how badly I want to say that.

I got my car about 6 months ago for $800.  Runs perfectly fine - no mechanical issues.  Passenger side windows are electric and don't work.  Dash doesn't light up and the gas gauge doesn't really work, which can be a bit irritating at times.  But the ac/heat works and it drives smooth and quiet.  So, I can't complain.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
You might do better to find it at an art, or hobby store. I know that one of the galleries downtown here sells them as "canvas backers" or whatever those are, and they're cheaper than the Wal-Mart equivalent. (Which doesn't say much, now that I think of it.) It sounds like a beautiful tree, and at least your angel survived the house guests from Hell.

Margret
I had to pick her up and put her in my bed (covering her up with the heated blanket) after she insisted on going outside in the rain. (She loves rain, but didn't pay attention to the fact that it was cold.) Asia jumped on the bed and curled around the Princess lump purring her little heart out while Princess shivered and slowly warmed up. (I was frightened for a little bit--she was so cold!), but the incident seems to have fixed the disagreement between the two of them.

When we were kids and at the "breakables breaking" phases of our developments, AWM kept all the ornaments in a box and just decorated the tree with candy canes. As we got older, and less prone to breaking things, the ornaments slowly appeared on the tree. (Funny thing; now we have too many ornaments for our tree because people visiting thought the reason the tree was decorated with candy canes was because we didn't  have any and kept giving us some! 
) I'm wondering, if we do a tree this year, if we should do the same for the cats, but at the same time I'm worried about what would happen if the candycanes fell off, broke open, and the cats lapped some of the candy before we cleaned it up. Do candy canes hurt cats? 

1. Thank you for the suggestion.  I never thought of that.  Michaels and Hobby Lobby are both still having "Cyber Monday" sales, according to my inbox.
  2. Well, I'm glad it worked.  I don't understand why it worked, but cat logic is, um, inscrutable? obscure? something like that.
  3. Candy canes are high carb, which isn't good but also isn't an emergency if a cat gets a bit.  Check labels to make sure there's nothing poisonous to cats in them, and pick them up immediately if they do break, but a few crumbs shouldn't hurt the cats.  To be doubly sure, get the kind that come individually wrapped in clear cellophane and keep them wrapped.  They'll be just as colorful, but a little bit safer.  Also, you may want to look into some other flavors than mint, which come in a variety of colors, not just the standard red and white (depending on your theory of tree decoration -- do you like it to be all one or two colors, or should there be more variety?).

Even with zero miles on it, a car bought at the end of the year, when the next year's cars have just come out, has a lower blue book price.  This is important to some people.  My 2000 Toyota Echo has quite a lot of miles on it (don't know how many for sure), and a few dents, and it's totally reliable and always aces its emissions tests.  It's also a bit bigger on the inside than the outside.  Newer cars have fancier gadgets, like seats that you can raise and automatic shoulder harnesses, but I'm perfectly happy dealing with my shoulder harness myself, and sitting on a pillow works just fine.  And, unlike newer cars, I can play old audio cassette tapes in it as well as CDs.

As for the rental company being responsible for the accident, well, they did rent her a car that had a nice, comfortable driver's seat, right?  It may even have had (gasp!) cruise control.  Clearly the car was defective.  (Sarcasm, of course.)  And it's going to take a lot more than that for her to win the case if she tries to take it to court.

Good night, all.  Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.