The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I would never trust a doctor without question.  My mom is a LPN and she's seen the effects of incompetent doctors all too often.  Several years ago, my great uncle was in the hospital (I don't remember why, but he had Parkinson's and was in bad health).  The doctor was about to give him a MRI and my mom said, "You know he has a pace maker, right?"  The doctor said, "Yes, I know."  Mom said, "And you want to do a MRI?"  The doctor said, "That's right."  Then my mother had to explain TO THE DOCTOR why a MRI would kill a patient with a pacemaker.
My husbands first doctor insisted it was a sprain. This was pre internet here. My husband suffered needless joint damage due to his negligence. At that time it was impossible to sue a HMO.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother was a physical therapist.  Many, many years ago, my paternal grandmother fell and broke her hip, late at night, and my mother went with her to the E.R., where they waited for quite some time because the anesthesiologist was late getting there.  Finally, my mother asked the doctor who was supposed to actually set the hip, "Is he always this late?"  and the doctor said, in a scathing tone of voice, "She!".  My mother immediately demanded a different doctor to do the work because she wasn't about to let anyone who held women in contempt to touch her mother-in-law.  And, being the person she was, she got what she wanted.

When my father-in-law had ulcers, so high that they were practically in his esophagus, all that his doctors could think to do was remove his stomach (surgeons, of course).  We went around and around about this, refusing to authorize it, the doctors insisting that it was the only answer, until I finally said, "Has anyone thought to check him for H. Pylori?".  That was when he finally got a decent doctor.  Understand, this was shortly after the discovery of the link between H. Pylori and ulcers, but even so, I knew about it, and I'm a lay person!  I just read a lot, and it had been in both Discover Magazine and Scientific American.  It certainly hit the medical journals before the popular magazines.

Later, when he was back in the hospital after the ulcers had been cleared up, I caught a doctor scolding him for drinking a diet soda when he needed to put on some more weight because he'd lost so much with the ulcer.  I spoke up.  "Excuse me.  He has diabetes, and isn't on anything for it."  The doctor said, "It doesn't matter.  First we get his weight back up, then we worry about the diabetes."  Really?  What part of "diabetes" did he not understand?  Without drugs, when a diabetic takes in sugar it doesn't go to the fat cells to help with weight gain -- it just floats around in the blood stream causing problems!  Once again, I knew that, and this doctor apparently didn't.  (I didn't know at that time about the dangers of Aspartame, but that's a separate issue.)

Ultimately, we have to make our own decisions about what is best for our bodies, based on our own knowledge, augmented by advice from doctors.  If we give total responsibility to the doctors we're extremely likely to be unhappy with the results.

Rant done.  For now.

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'd think I'd be used to this by now but it's always disappointing when my own parents and siblings don't remember (or care about) my birthday

At least I got a package in the mail from a friend filled with birthday gifts
Two new colorings books, well one is the Creative Cats book which I already have, a cat shaped mug, some chocolates, and a cat shaped saucer. And lots of tissue paper and the shipping box for the cats to play with

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You'd think I'd be used to this by now but it's always disappointing when my own parents and siblings don't remember (or care about) my birthday

Two new colorings books, well one is the Creative Cats book which I already have, a cat shaped mug, some chocolates, and a cat shaped saucer. And lots of tissue paper and the shipping box for the cats to play with
I have a Creative Cats book.  I wonder if its the same one?

And Happy Birthday.

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I definitely need to get one of those. They are really cool.
It's awesome.  It really helps pass the time while I'm working.  I'll be working a page and next thing I know, I get off in 15 minutes.  Unless people are being even nastier than normal.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think the worst thing about your post is your statement that you should be used to it by now.  I'm so sorry that you should have any cause to say this.  But I'm very glad to hear that you have a friend who remembers, and who knows you well enough to know what to get you.  And you have lots of friends here who care about your birthday, too.  So

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around 5 or 6 years ago, I got a filling and the dentist screwed up. Another dentist fixed it as well as possible but I ended up with more filling than tooth and said I'd have problems with it again eventually.
A couple of months ago, eventually happened. Filling fell out, lot of pain, etc. Scraped together money for a dentist. The cavity had made it all the way into the root so he pulled it.
There's still a piece of it in there and it's working it's way out and hurts like bleep. And Murphy is snuggling me and laying his head over the sore side. Oddly enough, his treatment method seems to be somewhat effective. It still hurts, but a little less.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around 5 or 6 years ago, I got a filling and the dentist screwed up. Another dentist fixed it as well as possible but I ended up with more filling than tooth and said I'd have problems with it again eventually.
A couple of months ago, eventually happened. Filling fell out, lot of pain, etc. Scraped together money for a dentist. The cavity had made it all the way into the root so he pulled it.
There's still a piece of it in there and it's working it's way out and hurts like bleep. And Murphy is snuggling me and laying his head over the sore side. Oddly enough, his treatment method seems to be somewhat effective. It still hurts, but a little less.
Anything that relaxes you should help to cut the pain.  Tension increases pain, and pain makes us tense.  There's something really screwy in that design, don't you think?  Pain is like a red alert -- "Something is wrong!  Fix it!" but it can be impossible to take the necessary steps to fix it while the pain is blaring away at you.  I'm glad you have Murphy to help.  And, by the way, if your dentist prescribed a pain medication, it isn't cheating to take it.  And if you can't sleep tonight because of the pain, call your dentist in the morning and ask for a prescription.  Then take the minimum effective dose, for the least time necessary, and you'll be safe from getting addicted to it.

Margret

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dentist didn't prescribe anything and i can't afford an appointment or any pain meds even if I did have a prescription. I'll be fine. I have otc meds and snuggly kitties.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking this morning about when our Looby Loo was spayed. Her shelter decided to try someone new & cheaper & more conveniently located to the shelter. Looby eventually came to live with me & several months later started cycling into heat every week or so. Turns out the vet left some ovarian tissue behind. Also turns out that the vet has a daytime job selling pharmaceuticals & is a vet in the evenings by appt. only. He told the shelter he will re-do the surgery without charge. Against my better judgment we took Looby Loo back & awaited a call the next morning to pick her up. We got a call the next morning, but it was to tell us that the vet had gotten stuck in snow in VT & never made it back to CT. Boy, was I mad. Husband insisted on getting her out of there STAT, which we did. We then spent $700 on a surgeon who was able to find "a remnant" of tissue from her left ovary. She is fine now & the shelter no longer uses that vet.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Dentist didn't prescribe anything and i can't afford an appointment or any pain meds even if I did have a prescription. I'll be fine. I have otc meds and snuggly kitties.
someone on my group in herbs posted about clove oil. said to put it right on the tooth. it pulls the pain out. I have heard several people say it helps. Or you can take aleve if those other NSAIDs don't work. Turmeric with black pepper also acts like a pain reliever. Chinese cat's claw is another pain relieving herb. just suggestions.

Yes Margaret is correct about the information. You would have to take those particular things for at Least 4 weeks to get "dependent" on it. Too bad all the bad press and misinformation really gets tiring to set straight.

Honeybee's winter coat has grown in so thick that we have to trim her butt and legs. Jon finally admitted to needing to do this after he had to clean her up earlier this week from a berry hanging on her leg and he kept petting her=not realizing there was a ball of poop stuck back there!!
 So he held her while I gently carefully try to trim her 3" long hair back there-the problem is it sticks to the fur on her legs-I should have gotten her hair cut one more time. But we don't want Miss Honeybee to be cold. it was in the 40s last night. And she wouldn't sleep with me..slept in the window curled up in a tiny ball.

Pumps hid in her cave under the chair in the cluttered office=this Is an old wooden chair with a blanket folded over the seat and drapped down-she sleeps inside the nest. She ate her tuna juice this morning like a good girl. And went back to sleep under there. We are back to every other day for her pred. I don't think it helped her bone pain much. Need to try something else. She has been getting dasquin every morning. I will restart the gaba once she is off the pred. I don't like mixing two meds together. I just wanted to follow the vet's orders but I don't think it helped much other than make her eat and pee more. which we need to get her to loose weight.

I want to try the laser therapy again but I didn't notice much help but want to try again. hopefully next week redo 2 times a week.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

someone on my group in herbs posted about clove oil. said to put it right on the tooth. it pulls the pain out. I have heard several people say it helps. Or you can take aleve if those other NSAIDs don't work. Turmeric with black pepper also acts like a pain reliever. Chinese cat's claw is another pain relieving herb. just suggestions.

Yes Margaret is correct about the information. You would have to take those particular things for at Least 4 weeks to get "dependent" on it. Too bad all the bad press and misinformation really gets tiring to set straight.

Honeybee's winter coat has grown in so thick that we have to trim her butt and legs. Jon finally admitted to needing to do this after he had to clean her up earlier this week from a berry hanging on her leg and he kept petting her=not realizing there was a ball of poop stuck back there!!
 So he held her while I gently carefully try to trim her 3" long hair back there-the problem is it sticks to the fur on her legs-I should have gotten her hair cut one more time. But we don't want Miss Honeybee to be cold. it was in the 40s last night. And she wouldn't sleep with me..slept in the window curled up in a tiny ball.

Pumps hid in her cave under the chair in the cluttered office=this Is an old wooden chair with a blanket folded over the seat and drapped down-she sleeps inside the nest. She ate her tuna juice this morning like a good girl. And went back to sleep under there. We are back to every other day for her pred. I don't think it helped her bone pain much. Need to try something else. She has been getting dasquin every morning. I will restart the gaba once she is off the pred. I don't like mixing two meds together. I just wanted to follow the vet's orders but I don't think it helped much other than make her eat and pee more. which we need to get her to loose weight.

I want to try the laser therapy again but I didn't notice much help but want to try again. hopefully next week redo 2 times a week.
My sister has a dog with hip joint problems and it is painful.  She has been adding collagen powder to his food and noticed a big difference.    Here is a link to the brand she's been using.

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consumer/CollagenFAQ.php

She also makes him medicinal pot 'cookies' LOL

My cats are so different in the Fall.  Eclipse has lots of energy and is once again running around chasing toys.  Fluffy has been hanging out on the couch and bed near me again.  The other day she sat on the kitchen table by my son (who is amused by the cats but prefers not to interact with them) while he was eating.  Not her usually behavior.  He was smiling and asked me what she wanted.  I assumed she wanted fresh water in the glass we keep there for the cats.  Nope!  She wanted to taste the steak on his plate and swatted at him.  I put some on a dish for her but she turned her nose up at it once she had a sniff.  He's pretty funny, the cats hang out in his room sometimes, either on his bed or the window perch and when he wants to go to sleep he gets myself or Kim to de-cat his room.  He will only pick them up if they are in danger of running outside.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think the worst thing about your post is your statement that you should be used to it by now.  I'm so sorry that you should have any cause to say this.  But I'm very glad to hear that you have a friend who remembers, and who knows you well enough to know what to get you.  And you have lots of friends here who care about your birthday, too.  So

Margret

My family is dysfunctional and one of the types that just doesn't celebrate anything 
  I remember a few birthday parties my parents had for me when I was very young but once I turned 6 and started school, there were no more birthday parties or anything special.

It is nice to have a friend who remembers my birthday
I think I've known this person for close to 10  years now. We first "talked" on Catster. Other friends I've had in my life in school and co-workers never remembered my birthday or acknowledged it in any way even if I mention it. Well, there was cake last year but it wasn't really for me. The clique planned it for someone in the clique and when they heard that my birthday was a few days before, they invited me at the last minute. But it was really weird because I was told that the clique would be having cake at their mid morning break and I could get myself a slice of cake when I go to lunch
Yeah, the clique excludes everyone else on the team from joining them. One reason why I left that team.

Anyways. I don't want to keep whining and ranting about people who ignore the birthday of soemone who is close to them.

I brought my work laptop home so I could check work email and now for some reason my Windows log in password doesn't work now
I know what it is but for some reason I keep getting an error message.I last logged in just fine earlier this week. I don't have the phone number for the help desk with me
  I'll have to deal with it and a flood of emails on Monday.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Many years ago before Stonehenge and the Pyramids my mother had a tooth pulled and the dentist gave her whole cloves to put in the hole.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

My family is dysfunctional and one of the types that just doesn't celebrate anything 
  I remember a few birthday parties my parents had for me when I was very young but once I turned 6 and started school, there were no more birthday parties or anything special.

It is nice to have a friend who remembers my birthday
I think I've known this person for close to 10  years now. We first "talked" on Catster. Other friends I've had in my life in school and co-workers never remembered my birthday or acknowledged it in any way even if I mention it. Well, there was cake last year but it wasn't really for me. The clique planned it for someone in the clique and when they heard that my birthday was a few days before, they invited me at the last minute. But it was really weird because I was told that the clique would be having cake at their mid morning break and I could get myself a slice of cake when I go to lunch
Yeah, the clique excludes everyone else on the team from joining them. One reason why I left that team.

Anyways. I don't want to keep whining and ranting about people who ignore the birthday of soemone who is close to them.

I brought my work laptop home so I could check work email and now for some reason my Windows log in password doesn't work now
I know what it is but for some reason I keep getting an error message.I last logged in just fine earlier this week. I don't have the phone number for the help desk with me
  I'll have to deal with it and a flood of emails on Monday.
I become highly suspicious when my family does make contact with me. My brother made a big to do about it 5 years ago and I let him into my life only to have him cut me out again with no explanation. If they call I always suspect someone needs a kidney or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.