The Weight Loss Support Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not a good morning, despite I had 27% (~1200kcal) deficit yesterday, I gained a pound and waist measurement shows 2 inches increase from yesterday's.

Might be water retention, which would mean that in day or two there would be big drop again, but it really puts you down, when your weight goes up even when you manage to get into near maximal deficit.

Maybe evening weight is showing something else then, maybe not, will be interesting to see how it goes, but bit crazy how weight goes up.
It definitely puts me down too when I see a weight gain after trying so hard to make it go down. I just want to yell at the scale "WHAT DO I HAVE TO DOOOO?!" lol. I almost dread the scale every morning when I get on, waiting for the numbers to pop up, thinking how demotivating it will be to see it increase instead.

I really should have done measurements also. I guess it is not too late, since I still have 19lb to go to my first real goal... I remember when I used to be in much better shape, I was gaining weight, but it was because of all the muscle I had built doing pole. One of the reasons I'm not sure about getting hard into that just yet, though muscle burns fat!

This morning was 154.8 .. 5.7lb since last Tuesday. I swear it is so much easier to put it on than take it off :rolleyes:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely puts me down too when I see a weight gain after trying so hard to make it go down. I just want to yell at the scale "WHAT DO I HAVE TO DOOOO?!" lol. I almost dread the scale every morning when I get on, waiting for the numbers to pop up, thinking how demotivating it will be to see it increase instead.

I really should have done measurements also. I guess it is not too late, since I still have 19lb to go to my first real goal... I remember when I used to be in much better shape, I was gaining weight, but it was because of all the muscle I had built doing pole. One of the reasons I'm not sure about getting hard into that just yet, though muscle burns fat!

This morning was 154.8 .. 5.7lb since last Tuesday. I swear it is so much easier to put it on than take it off :rolleyes:
You are doing incredible well, that is a lot of weight loss in a week!

First answer with 4 up votes is quite interesting, there is a limit how much fat can be used for each day and I guess that comes down to how much one can use each hour (amount of calories in a day / 24).
http://fitness.stackexchange.com/qu...d-a-healthy-weight-loss-and-body-fat-decrease

I'm just not quite sure how solid information that is, but according to that, I should be able to get by just fine without eating, for few days, at least what comes to energy, with protein intake it might be possible to loose weight really fast.

Key is to know how much fat there is, it can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
Adult body fat % = (1.20 × BMI) + (0.23 × Age) − (10.8 × sex) − 5.4

where sex is 1 for males and 0 for females.

Then one can find out how much drop can be excepted and how big deficit is possible.

BMI is here, there is also how to calculate it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

I don't dare to stop eating, need to do it slow, even in theory I could loose first 22 pounds in a month which is bit tempting, it would be 5.5 pounds in a week which would be maximum rate for 53 pound of body fat, any faster and I would loose lot of muscle too.
Quick error prone calculation of mine shows that for Tara to drop 5.5 pounds she would have to be around 4ft 9 inches tall in order to stay on fat burn and not to burn muscle. I may have calculation error too, it happens often.
Also it can be that there has been fluids occupying fat cells which has gone away, that makes quite big drops it seems.
So however it is, Tara I think 5.7 pounds lost is really fast, it might come up even faster, but surely you are dropping that weight in no time! :D

One tip about measurement, don't do it with tape measure (one that rolls in and is metal) error will be too big (I have experience from that), I used now piece of string and got harsh reality towards my face, measurements were at least 2 inches off, so in reality my waist is lot bigger than I originally thought.

At least direction is still down.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the calculations! :) I'm 5ft 3in and I think 5.7lb is definitely faster than usual... I don't think it'll keep dropping that fast. I think my body gets a shock for a week or so when I stop drinking soda, eating pizza and bread and chocolate, and goes into fast-drop mode, then it tapers off again. My cal counter says I should expect to lose about half a pound a day at the current rate of eating (sounds like I need to weigh every other day then!). I need to lose just under 2lb a week to reach my goal, so I'm hoping that is attainable and what I stay around. It is so hard for me to not turn around and grab some dark chocolate almond Hershey kisses from my office-mate's drawer right now! Trying to be good this time and cheat as little as possible.

19.8lb left and 75 days to meet it. If I kept up with 5.7lb a week I'd be there in no time ;)

I will allow myself to splurge more when the HCG time frame is done, even though I forget the drops almost always.... BF's bday is that weekend, and we of course will have to have Carvel ice cream cake :D Its both our favorite kind of cake. But we've noticed the less we eat now on a stricter "diet", the less we end up being able to eat when we go back to allowing ourselves other foods, so then we turn to portion control so I/we can enjoy our favorite things again as well. (And this is why I'll never have visible abs :lol3: )

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the calculations! :) I'm 5ft 3in and I think 5.7lb is definitely faster than usual... I don't think it'll keep dropping that fast. I think my body gets a shock for a week or so when I stop drinking soda, eating pizza and bread and chocolate, and goes into fast-drop mode, then it tapers off again. My cal counter says I should expect to lose about half a pound a day at the current rate of eating (sounds like I need to weigh every other day then!). I need to lose just under 2lb a week to reach my goal, so I'm hoping that is attainable and what I stay around. It is so hard for me to not turn around and grab some dark chocolate almond Hershey kisses from my office-mate's drawer right now! Trying to be good this time and cheat as little as possible.

19.8lb left and 75 days to meet it. If I kept up with 5.7lb a week I'd be there in no time ;)

I will allow myself to splurge more when the HCG time frame is done, even though I forget the drops almost always.... BF's bday is that weekend, and we of course will have to have Carvel ice cream cake :D Its both our favorite kind of cake. But we've noticed the less we eat now on a stricter "diet", the less we end up being able to eat when we go back to allowing ourselves other foods, so then we turn to portion control so I/we can enjoy our favorite things again as well. (And this is why I'll never have visible abs :lol3: )
If my calculations are correct (and that is big IF!) your daily calorie deficit limit would be around 1255kcal, which is 1255/7000 = 0.18kg = 0.4 pounds a day and that is around 2.8 pounds a week, so you should be able to make your goal just fine, but remember less you weight, less you can loose in a day!

If you have reduced amount of sodium intake (less salt), then it could be that you experience fast weight loss because of water release, that is short them quick weight loss, based on what I have read, but not all is such of course, there is part of fat loss too.

When you get more salt again, weight gets up real fast, but it is again only temporary, at least based on what I have read.

Resulting fat percentage would be around 17.5% and your current might be around 26%, or that is what calculations lie, that can be used to determine that 1255kcal limit what amount of fat body can burn on a day and that would be highest deficit that is said to be not burning too much muscle. Bad thing in muscle burning is that muscle can be anything, even the hearth. Increased amount of proteins should help with that though, at least according to some stuff I read.

Other spreadsheet gives estimate of 1700kcal to be what to eat to remain in your current weight, around 1400kcal to be minimum needed to your body to function, this is based on very low activity level, so any exercising should be added to that, but without any exercise to get into 1255kcal deficit it would be needed to eat 445kcal (1700 - 1255), which would be real pain to maintain, going out and doing things certainly keeps mind off from food and any exercise allows to eat more and still keep weight loss rate the same, cheating body to feel more full. Well, that is how I fight feeling of hunger and I can eat servings that look like much even I'm eating quite little compared to my calorie consumption.

It is not really very exact, there are many things that connect to other things, but it gives some idea and of course there always can be errors too.

Not sure if this helps at all, but with your calorie counter that should give some idea how to beat that cheating scale :D

For me to get my weight to those table weights that health office claims, I would need to loose around 53 pounds, I doubt that ever happens, about 25 years ago I was close to those weights, but I'm sure my bones have grown after that :D

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Against all that should be my morning weight was up again by more than a pound, from lowest I have seen it is already up to 5 pounds, this is bit crazy, still hoping for that big drop to come, but it really have to be huge drop!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think it was Pat who said that you should be more concerned with the average for the week instead of day-to-day weight. I do weigh myself every morning, but I tend to think of how much I've gained or lost from week to week. With me, I lose during the week, but then I tend to put a bit back on on the weekends when I'm not so disciplined. I figure that as long as the scales are showing a downward trend, even if it's a slow downward trend, then I'm doing OK.

And I've also noticed that salt plays a huge part in my weight.If I eat one ounce of pretzels (and yes, I do weigh the portion out on my scales), I've noticed that I will gain a bit. Pretzels don't have a lot of fat, but they do have salt. And that's why I eat them....because there are times when I am craving something with salt. And then when I dip them in mustard, well, that adds a bit more salt to the mix, too. And the next morning I usually notice a small gain. 

I had a doctor who fought tooth and nail with me. She was insistent that I weigh around 125 pounds. Now I was about 55 at that time and, believe me, 125 made me look like death. I'm 5 feet, 4.5 inches with a medium bone structure. She thought it was wonderful; I thought I looked horrible and I felt just as bad. My hair was like straw and my face was all bones. Once I got up to about 130-135, I noticed that I was feeling much better and my face didn't look so drawn. I turned 60 back in January and I would be happy to get down to about 135. No lower than that at this point. I don't feel healthy and I don't look healthy.

And I'd like to stay at 130-135 pounds, instead of constantly yoyo-ing back and forth. That's not healthy either. But I do it all the time.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I hate coke and Pepsi. Can't you drink diet Pepsi, it's not the same, or zero?
Diet Pepsi is terrible stuff and diet Coke is just as bad. I can't drink it. When it comes to Pepsi, it's the high-octane stuff or nothing at all. I can drink diet Mt. Dew, so that's usually my drink of choice. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diet Pepsi is terrible stuff and diet Coke is just as bad. I can't drink it. When it comes to Pepsi, it's the high-octane stuff or nothing at all. I can drink diet Mt. Dew, so that's usually my drink of choice. 
I don't drink coke at all or Pepsi which I'm not sure we get here. It was never that popular.
I don't know what Mt. Dew is.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably should have read here first before weighing myself this morning...! Went up to 155.9. Weighed myself 3x to make sure it wasn't lying to me. Then told the BF I was going to eat a whole pizza tonight because what is the point (I always get SUPER demotivated when it goes up rather than down and have a spaz moment). He's been at the same weight for 3 days, which irked him also, but I said I'd rather stay the same than go up!

The salt thing makes a good point. We ate out at a steak place, and I ate saltier stuff than I have lately. I know I went somewhat over my cal counter, though that is actually set pretty low.

Back on a better track today - I still want to meet my goal!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably should have read here first before weighing myself this morning...! Went up to 155.9. Weighed myself 3x to make sure it wasn't lying to me. Then told the BF I was going to eat a whole pizza tonight because what is the point (I always get SUPER demotivated when it goes up rather than down and have a spaz moment). He's been at the same weight for 3 days, which irked him also, but I said I'd rather stay the same than go up!

The salt thing makes a good point. We ate out at a steak place, and I ate saltier stuff than I have lately. I know I went somewhat over my cal counter, though that is actually set pretty low.

Back on a better track today - I still want to meet my goal!
Hey, I have been going up too, without much other explanation but salt!

Week's stat so proper weight loss though, so it averages out, just keep doing what you are doing, it must be right as it is working :D

I can get my new scale to read 4 pound different results by placing it less than inch different place, uneven flooring, so worth to notice that too.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can drink diet Pepsi but diet coke is awful. I drink it if it's the only option though.

I've been at the same weight of 177 for like a month now. I just can't get below it and I'm getting frustrated.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can get my new scale to read 4 pound different results by placing it less than inch different place, uneven flooring, so worth to notice that too.
We've been keeping ours in the same spot just because of that "moving it around makes it read different"! Crazy things, these scales.

I can drink diet Pepsi but diet coke is awful. I drink it if it's the only option though.

I've been at the same weight of 177 for like a month now. I just can't get below it and I'm getting frustrated.
I used to drink SO MUCH Diet Coke (and dont like Diet Pepsi lol!). Now I've been drinking regular Coke and don't like Diet Coke anymore really. I'll drink it if someone gets a can out of the machine on accident (our soda vending machine is weird), but if we go out or buy a case, its regular Coke.

Haven't had a soda in almost 2 weeks, trying to hold out til the end of the month before I allow myself any, as I know cutting it out helps with weight loss also.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried cutting it out but I had to send my husband to the store for a case of diet Pepsi. I was getting headaches and I haven't had one since I started drinking it again. I'm going to slowly cut it out.

Does anyone have a good app for counting calories? I downloaded my fitness pal today but the fact that it's warning me that I'm almost to my calorie goal is annoying. I'm not even half way yet.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use just stupid computers now, so I don't know about those smart device things.

My weight is going up, yesterday I had deficit of 1965 kcal, day before 1049kcal and before that 1450kcal, but my weight has started to go up.

Today I should have over 2000kcal deficit, but I'm between two, I have done quite heavy lifting yesterday and today, so I might keep less deficit for this day. Still over 1000kcal deficit, but if I don't eat anything today it would mean 53% deficit, so I might settle to deficit of ~34% for today.

I have enough fat that I could live completely off from fat, just drinking water, for few days at least, maximum deficit is around the same as daily consumption without doing anything special.

It is 100% certain that I have eaten less than I have burned, so it should mean that I loose weight, this morning scale was near the same number where I began about week ago.

Last edited:

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried cutting it out but I had to send my husband to the store for a case of diet Pepsi. I was getting headaches and I haven't had one since I started drinking it again. I'm going to slowly cut it out.

Does anyone have a good app for counting calories? I downloaded my fitness pal today but the fact that it's warning me that I'm almost to my calorie goal is annoying. I'm not even half way yet.
I used to use My Fitness Pal a few years ago, but now I'm using MyNetDiary app for counting calories. So far its been alright. You can log meals, exercises, weight, water, measurements ... it will tell you your "Plan" (how much you want to lose, how many days left, and how many calories per day), etc. It was free in the Play store for Android. I also use an app called "Water Your Body" to get me to drink more water. It sets reminders every hour to drink. I have a 1.5L bottle I marked by the hour and use that as a goal to drink by. It has worked rather well. I've noticed without it, I barely drink 1 small bottle of water. Went to the store last night and got three 3L bottles of Deer Park for $1 each, so I refill my marked bottle when I get home at night

I totally understand the headaches after cutting out sodas. I had THE WORST headaches for 2 days after cutting out Coke. It sucked. They've gone away, but I still tend to be grouchier in general when I'm being strict on a diet LOL.

This morning I weighed 154.5. Felt a little better at that than I did yesterday [when it went up]. Brought grilled chicken and broccoli to work today, with some Franks Red Hot to give it some flavor, and grapes to snack on.

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My weight went down to 175.8 today from 177.2 yesterday. I will continue counting calories for a while because I think I am just eating too many calories. We are going out for dinner on Saturday so I will have to be careful not to eat too much. We are going to our favourite restaurant and to a movie because it's our first kid free night in a LONG time. I haven't let anyone have my son overnight yet but I'm ready to leave him for a night now that he's getting close to a year old.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My weight went down to 175.8 today from 177.2 yesterday. I will continue counting calories for a while because I think I am just eating too many calories. We are going out for dinner on Saturday so I will have to be careful not to eat too much. We are going to our favourite restaurant and to a movie because it's our first kid free night in a LONG time. I haven't let anyone have my son overnight yet but I'm ready to leave him for a night now that he's getting close to a year old.
Don't feel guilty if you eat too much for such night, one time does not make huge difference, as long as you keep it as a one time only.

I think it is good to have fun days in too, it helps to tolerate boring days when one has to remain strong.

I ended up with 1400kcal deficit for today instead of 2000kcal, but any deficit is better than none at all.

Having around 4 hours of exercise in a day for this week and around 34% calorie deficit, so something should happen, not sure what though, scale is not my friend at least!

I trick myself so that I eat only very little and later some time before bed time I eat so that I don't feel hunger anymore, so I have to reserve calories for the evening, then it is easy to fall asleep and not to fail and eat something, during the day activities keep mind away from food and hunger.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've also noticed if I'm keeping busy, I don't think about food and eating or being hungry. :) So here is me keeping busy on here since I've got nothing to do at work at the moment lol!

154.3 this morning. A smidge less than yesterday. We had sushi again last night, my calories were probably slightly higher than my "plan" suggests, but I've been doing well at keeping them under it on most days. Down 2.3lb since last Friday - trying to look at the loss by week instead of day as a bigger picture, and it makes me feel better about it ;)

We know the next time we go to Columbia we'll blow it, there's a Fazolis there, and we LOVE Fazolis ... right now Oct 3 for Luke Bryan's Farm Tour will be our next trip up there, so it gives me time to make more progress before being completely horrible for a meal :lol3: I think next week we'll start allowing ourselves a cheat day here and there, or else it gets boring for sure! BF's bday is next Saturday, so dinner and cake will be an exception.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lost 1,3kg (~2.9 pounds) from last Friday morning weight.

However I have lost 2,7kg (~6 pounds 5.95 pounds more precisely) from last Friday evening weight.

As on average I have lost what my spreadsheet is telling me I should have lost, based on calorie burning and consumption. It will be interesting to see if that still holds after next week.

When eating little, I found it is good to get up and go doing right after eating, hunger settles down in few minutes, but belly demands more for those few minutes.

I have heard there are wonderful mountain biking trails in Columbia?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I was using MFP for quite a while. They would always tell me I wasn't eating enough and wasn't drinking enough water. I still use it for weight from week to to week, but quit using it for daily calorie count as I have it linked into my Fitbit, so whatever my weight is in MFP, it's the same in Fitbit. But I went back to my old manual way of logging everything in my little notebook. On the whole, it's easier.

And personally, I think counting calories and keep a record of your calorie amounts is important to weight loss. Otherwise, you have no idea where you're at and, chances are, you're eating WAY more calories than you realize. I know that's what happens to me when I don't closely monitor calories. You THINK you're only eating about 4 ounces of something, when you're REALLY eating 6 ounces. Know what I mean? It's difficult. 

And (sorry to nag) don't forget to add your exercises to MFP. If you do that, it will include your exercise time in your plan and will tell you that because you exercised this long, you get extra calories. That does not mean you can actually eat those calories....I never do....but at least you know that your exercising will help you, esp on those days when you're eating a bit more, like for birthday dinners or other special occasions. I always add my treadmill/walking times to MFP. That helps keep me on track, too.

Congratulations to those of you who are losing weight this week. Good job!

I tend to eat when I'm not doing anything else, so I try to stay busy. Or at least do something to keep my hands busy. So I straighten out bureau drawers or desk drawers, color for a while, do a few exercises, etc. Anything to keep my mind off munching. With Rick gone, that makes it even worse.  

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.