The Weight Loss Support Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsyrose85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Yep. Thanksgiving is going to be brutal. We have the churches feast on sunday (huge potluck. I am making a 20 pound turkey and corn chowder), MILs on thurs, and sat is my parents. PLUS we were given 2 turkeys. (I looovvvee turkey!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Down 8 pounds since a week and a half ago.
Congratulations!
Yikes I just got on the scale and I am up 4 pounds. I'm back on the wagon! :eek:
:alright:  Next week, Karen! 

Nothing. No loss, no gain. I was down about a pound yesterday (again) and everything was going great. I did nothing wrong, ate nothing wrong, and yet it all came back today. Water fluctuations are not funny. :wife:

(And next week is Thanksgiving! :anon: )
Better no loss, no gain than a gain. :)

Thanksgiving. :cringe: I have to be honest and announce that there is no way I will be stepping on the scale next Friday.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Gypsyrose.  Winchester - if you averaged your weight over 7 days, you'd get a more accurate picture of how you are doing.  In a week I have days where I go up 2-3 lbs. but the trend over the 7 days is going down.

This past week I lost 1.46# - with the last 3 days being in a new "decade" of numbers.  I will be weighing in next Friday - good, bad or ugly ...lol.  I've made my exercise goal for 3 weeks now..going to really be sure I exercise on Thanksgiving, and prolly will eat the exercise calories I earn on that day :)

Have a good week folks - it *can* be done.  Last night I had fruit and yogurt, a ciabatta roll along with the rest of my bacon cheeseburger meal, and had a new low this morning!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ps I find it really helpful if I menu plan, and I know ahead of time what and how much of each item I'm going to eat. Then on the holiday, there is no fussing, I know what I'm doing and am happy with it.  If there is something special that I want that I can't fit in on the holiday -day, I make it the day before or after..just making sure I scratch that memory/longing itch sometime that holiday week.  If there is a thread for what folks are having on Thanksgiving, I'll gladly participate :)

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know if we all stick to what' works for you, we will get to our prefect goal. Good luck to everyone. I'm 205 and going strong .

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh drats. I forgot to get on the scales. I'll report in tomorrow. Well done to everyone who lost. As for thanksgiving. Have a gorgeous meal. Enjoy the company and forget the calories. Sometimes you just have to live a little ;)

gatsunokisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really do want to make an effort at getting involved in the community here. I drop off from time to time as I go through cycles of depression.
My starting weight is 245. To my mind that is horrible. I can't stand to see pictures of myself so I stay behind the camera and generally delete pictures that accidentally capture me.
When I worked I managed to stay around 190. I had been that weight for around 9 years after having my daughter and never was able to go down despite all attempts I made. My relationship with my daughter's father was horrible, controlling and seriously depleted my sense of self value. I actually developed the strangest of eating disorders; I was afraid to be seen eating and came to view the act of eating or discussion of eating to be as disgusting as bathroom talk. Since leaving him(best 160 lbs I ever dropped)7 years ago my weight has steadily gone up year by year.
My husband loves to eat and I love to cook; funny that, I hated tot eat but loved to cook.
Anyway, he is Diabetic Type 1(since the war)and requires a special diet. Most Diabetic recipes seem to be foods not typically enjoyed by the average "Joe" and packaged Diabetic foods are just expensive.
I cook from scratch most of the time. The last year has been rough. I broke my ankle in March and needed surgery, was denied surgery due to lack of money and insurance and then finally got insurance through medicaid got the surgery but also got the bare minimums of recovery aftercare. No physical therapy after being told to keep my leg immobile and elevated for 3 months. I had damage to my instep that was completely ignored and it slowed my recovery time more.
I have been getting to the local track and walking a lap a couple of times a week. We grocery shop at Sam's and that is exercise in itself. I am also working on training myself to eat properly and portion control.
I find that if I prepare something really delicious and actually enjoy it instead of wolfing it I feel satisfied without going overboard.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gatsunokisu - welcome.  I have found myfitnesspal.com (their free account is great) to be really helpful as by watching calories it helps me with the portions - I still choose how much fat or carbs or salt I want..you can customize it re the goals you set and what you want tor max amounts of protein etc.  It's real appeal for me - you can put in your own recipes and it will calculate how many carbs/calories etc. per portion, and your recipes can be kept private so only you see them when you want to add a serving of one of your recipes, to a day's meal.

Best wishes to you, this is a great little group :)

gatsunokisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Gatsunokisu - welcome.  I have found myfitnesspal.com (their free account is great) to be really helpful as by watching calories it helps me with the portions - I still choose how much fat or carbs or salt I want..you can customize it re the goals you set and what you want tor max amounts of protein etc.  It's real appeal for me - you can put in your own recipes and it will calculate how many carbs/calories etc. per portion, and your recipes can be kept private so only you see them when you want to add a serving of one of your recipes, to a day's meal.

Best wishes to you, this is a great little group :)
I tried that site for tracking and it was just so difficult. I need to add my own recipes to it, I even make my own noodles.
I know I wasn't getting accurate information but it helped a little to let me know what I needed to add to my diet and what I needed to back off from.
Thank You for the idea. Maybe I will try them again.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't find the caloric amounts to be very accurate on myfitnesspal.com. We do have nutritional scales at home, so I can weigh everything and check the calories that way. Then I just use Quick Tools to add the calories. If I didn't have the scales, though, I'd use myfitnesspal, simply because using something is better than winging it. At least with myfitnesspal, you have some idea of how you're doing.

I have recipe software at home and as I add my recipes to that, it will automatically give me nutritional information per serving. So between the software and the scales, I have a pretty good idea where I'm at from day to day.

Tip of the Day.......I love pretzels. Pretty much any kind of pretzels. Well, I've been checking the serving sizes of some of our snacks and the caloric amount is way off. For example, my favorite bag of pretzels says 1 ounce = 22 pretzels = 120 calories. Um, no. Not even close. One ounce of my pretzels is more like 17 pretzels for those 120 calories. And that is spot on....every single time I've weighed it out, it has ALWAYS been 17 pretzels, not 22. Another pretzel company says 1 ounce = 13 pretzels = 110 calories. No, again. According to my scales, 1 ounce of pretzels is more like 9 pretzels and that is 110 calories. Again, every single time it's been 9 pretzels. So don't trust the nutritional information on the packages! Not accurate at all. Sure, it will give you some idea....but it's not very accurate.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't find the caloric amounts to be very accurate on myfitnesspal.com. We do have nutritional scales at home, so I can weigh everything and check the calories that way. Then I just use Quick Tools to add the calories. If I didn't have the scales, though, I'd use myfitnesspal, simply because using something is better than winging it. At least with myfitnesspal, you have some idea of how you're doing.

I have recipe software at home and as I add my recipes to that, it will automatically give me nutritional information per serving. So between the software and the scales, I have a pretty good idea where I'm at from day to day.

Tip of the Day.......I love pretzels. Pretty much any kind of pretzels. Well, I've been checking the serving sizes of some of our snacks and the caloric amount is way off. For example, my favorite bag of pretzels says 1 ounce = 22 pretzels = 120 calories. Um, no. Not even close. One ounce of my pretzels is more like 17 pretzels for those 120 calories. And that is spot on....every single time I've weighed it out, it has ALWAYS been 17 pretzels, not 22. Another pretzel company says 1 ounce = 13 pretzels = 110 calories. No, again. According to my scales, 1 ounce of pretzels is more like 9 pretzels and that is 110 calories. Again, every single time it's been 9 pretzels. So don't trust the nutritional information on the packages! Not accurate at all. Sure, it will give you some idea....but it's not very accurate.
Oh well there you go! That's why I'm gaining weight! It's myfitnesspal pals fault!!! Hee hee hee!! Only joking but that is very interesting you should say that. I've been eating crackers and the serving says 30. It seems like an awful large serving. I'm going to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I thought I'd join in here. Why not lose weight with my fellow cat-loving friends? :) So basically, I was a fat kid growing up, and right before I left for university, I decided to "reinvent myself". I lost something like forty pounds total, so I was around 5'9" and 135 lbs. My weight has fluctuated on and off over the years for a variety of reasons - eating disorder, financial troubles, injuries, etc etc.

Last December, I was at an all-time low. I had a nasty break up and was also out of money for food. I wasn't weighing myself, but I was a size three, which was pretty good. Even though I'm 5'9", I have what is supposed to be a very small frame; my wrists are tiny, and my back starts to hurt once I get past about 150 lbs. I would like to weigh no more than 135, but I might like to get to 125. That's quite small, but as I said, my bone structure is really quite delicate, so I think it would work.

Over the summer, I came into some money, finally, and I basically reveled in the fact that I could buy all of the food I ever wanted and more. And I gained, and I gained... and now I'm just under 175. Not okay! I'm gonna be starting on Friday, after Thanksgiving (not really doing a lot for the holiday, but I'm allowing myself some comfort food in the aftermath of the passing of my kitty Henry). My other challenge is that I really want to lose weight for my health, without triggering old ED habits. It's tough to juggle, but I also have good friends who know my habits and keep any eye on me. ;) I am also a vegan, so all of my food adventures will be vegan-goodness. Trying to eat more fruits, and less cookies and chips!

It's nice to join you all. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
thevegancuddler and welcome. I'm so sorry about Henry. 

I hope you'll enjoy the Weight Loss thread. I do. I slide off every once in a while, but then I get back on track. It's really difficult at this time of the year.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday morning in Australia. I have well and truly been off the wagon for a week but I redeemed myself yesterday. I have a dress and heels on layby for my nieces 21st in 2 weeks. I have a big incentive to stay on track now. I am up 7 oz. that's pretty good considering. Yesterday morning the scales were up 2.42 lbs so today is much better and another good boost to my incentive. I celebrate Christmas so I'm planning to let loose on the 25th but until then I'm going to be the best little dieter I can ;)

Good luck everyone. You can do it. We can all do it.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You know what I do?  If I don't have a package to refer to, and am using myfitnesspal, I look at 3-4 listings for the same item and take the one that is most consistent.  I too have seen widely varying calories listed, where it's apparent sometimes, they were just putting down what they wanted it to be..lol. 

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost 1.36 lbs. this week, but the thing will be what happens for me by my Monday average.  So far, I'm maintaining the average I earned last Monday..would love to lose at least 1/2 lb. for this holiday week.  We shall see!

Status
Not open for further replies.