The Weight Loss Support Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suspect I will gain this week, unless I get some exercising in, which I'm planning . . . but I've learned that it takes awhile before exercise shows itself, so probably a gain. The problem is that as far as eating goes . . . my birthday is on Sunday, and I don't want to get sick. So I'm prioritizing "avoiding getting sick" over "losing weight", which means lots of easy-to-digest carbs and fewer hard-to-digest vegetables. If I liked vegetables that were cooked to the point of mush, maybe I'd have more, but ew, no. I'll probably also have some salad, but I'm going to be avoiding things like broccoli and celery. Cucumber is probably okay, though.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find blending veggies up will help me eat more(throw it over pasta with some salad dressing or with mayo.  I figure it is healthier then say 2 dollar sandwhiches from wendys or the like.  Not smothered just just and black pepper.

I have not walked dogs much as last week I felt very sick and then home repairs came up(our washer, say a prayer it seems on deaths door but occasionally will wash the load so trying to be hopeful as I have allergies to dogs and cats and do few loads a day and now doing only 1 as it takes a long time to get it to hit all the cycles at right times.  Should be able to get a used one after 1st of month

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blended vegetables? Interesting thought. I don't have anything to blend them with (no blender, food processor, etc.), and to be honest, not liking mushy vegetables, I don't imagine I'd like them, myself, but if someone else were making them, I'd try them. I actually really like vegetables -- particularly fresh, raw vegetables -- but they just aren't something I want to make my stomach try to deal with while it's recovering from the bug/episode/whatever it was. The main reason I don't eat vegetables other times is laziness -- not wanting to wash/cut/cook them.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I do not make them mush just hit the button few times to get a semi shredded effect.  got a ninja from walmart last year to use with slim fast(ok I may be the only one who LOVES slimfast shakes to point I could have just them daily. 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blended vegetables? Interesting thought. I don't have anything to blend them with (no blender, food processor, etc.), and to be honest, not liking mushy vegetables, I don't imagine I'd like them, myself, but if someone else were making them, I'd try them. I actually really like vegetables -- particularly fresh, raw vegetables -- but they just aren't something I want to make my stomach try to deal with while it's recovering from the bug/episode/whatever it was. The main reason I don't eat vegetables other times is laziness -- not wanting to wash/cut/cook them.
My Dr suggests the BRAT diet when recovering from gastro ect.. Bananas, rice. Apples and toast. Helps the tummy recover. It works for my daughter. She takes a long time to recover from tummy upsets

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't blend vegetables in a food processor or anything like that, but I like to mix a bunch of vegetables together with pasta. For example, I'll start with some slices of onion in the skillet with a wee bit of virgin olive oil. Add some minced garlic. Then some chopped green/red peppers. A little chopped banana pepper. Throw in some broccoli  or some fresh spinach.  Add some fresh chopped tomatoes. Sometimes a cup or so of kidney beans or black beans or even pintos (I really like pintos). A bit of basil and oregano, sometimes a little marjoram. Cook whatever pasta suits my fancy. Throw the drained pasta into the mix. And shave some fresh Parmesan over the top. It's really good. I suppose you could add whatever meat you wanted, but we don't. It makes a nice vegetarian dish for us and it's really easy for a Friday night supper. I don't cook the vegetables long because I don't like mushy vegetables at all.....they tend to have a bit of crunch to them. Sometimes I'll get two garlic-parmesan rolls out of the freezer and nuke them in the microwave to go with it. 

Last edited:

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Winchester -- mmm, that sounds delicious!

Tammat -- Yes, I start with the BRAT diet, too, but then gradually incorporate other items. The issue is that I also have cyclic vomiting syndrome, so when I get the actual virus, even if I've healed from it, I've learned that if I'm not careful, I end up having more frequent episodes of that. For example, I got the stomach virus last December, and instead of having just one episode per month after that, I had two more in December, then strangely January was fine, but then I had five in February and five in March. It really screwed up my work, since for 10 days each of those months I was either in class, sleeping, or throwing up--grading got behind. So, I think I'm fully recovered from the virus this time, but I still want to be careful, so I stick to bland food, especially since my birthday is coming up and I want to be able to have good food then. Unfortunately, my body is extremely protein-dependent, so the BRAT diet wouldn't work for a whole week, which is what I'm trying to do. I have to be able to add in at the very least, mild meats. Vegetables, especially raw ones, are not good for digestion, particularly the vegetables *I* like (cabbage, celery, broccoli, etc.), so they get added in last. I did have salad last night, and things went fine, which makes me happy, but the bulk of my diet this week is still mild/bland chicken/turkey with pasta or rice. Not exactly conducive to weight loss, but avoiding an episode is more important to me right now. It's frustrating when two HEALTH needs contradict each other.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester -- mmm, that sounds delicious!

Tammat -- Yes, I start with the BRAT diet, too, but then gradually incorporate other items. The issue is that I also have cyclic vomiting syndrome, so when I get the actual virus, even if I've healed from it, I've learned that if I'm not careful, I end up having more frequent episodes of that. For example, I got the stomach virus last December, and instead of having just one episode per month after that, I had two more in December, then strangely January was fine, but then I had five in February and five in March. It really screwed up my work, since for 10 days each of those months I was either in class, sleeping, or throwing up--grading got behind. So, I think I'm fully recovered from the virus this time, but I still want to be careful, so I stick to bland food, especially since my birthday is coming up and I want to be able to have good food then. Unfortunately, my body is extremely protein-dependent, so the BRAT diet wouldn't work for a whole week, which is what I'm trying to do. I have to be able to add in at the very least, mild meats. Vegetables, especially raw ones, are not good for digestion, particularly the vegetables *I* like (cabbage, celery, broccoli, etc.), so they get added in last. I did have salad last night, and things went fine, which makes me happy, but the bulk of my diet this week is still mild/bland chicken/turkey with pasta or rice. Not exactly conducive to weight loss, but avoiding an episode is more important to me right now. It's frustrating when two HEALTH needs contradict each other.
Big hugs to you. Hope it all settles down so you can enjoy your birthday :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, I guess I'm first this morning.

I stayed the same, which means that I didn't lose the weight that I gained last week. I have no excuse......I ate too much junk.

I give up.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
177 even again. l'm happy with that since l indulged in some nasty eating this week.

On course again today, so let the indulging begin!

Next week l'll try harder for loss, rather than to maintain.

@Pam - Don't give up!! lt's all a matter of perspective. l see staying the same weight while eating too much junk to be a positive thing. lt's not only allowable, it's important  to lay off and treat ourselves once in a while. lf we can do that without yo-yoing up and down, so much the better. You're doing a great job 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
275 but only cause been sick and hard to eat much for about a week now.  Been in bed alot and no walking.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of Wednesday I am down 1 pound to 205.  I'm getting down to 135 slowly but surely. I feel I will make it but it will take time.

Good luck to all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm down at least a pound this week. I am my own worst enemy. I weigh myself daily and I'll have a great weight and then during the day I overeat! :stomp:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you mince garlic. If it's by slicing it very thin then I can't do that. I use the garlic press thing. What's s banana pepper?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
177 even again. l'm happy with that since l indulged in some nasty eating this week.
On course again today, so let the indulging begin!
Next week l'll try harder for loss, rather than to maintain.

@Pam - Don't give up!! lt's all a matter of perspective. l see staying the same weight while eating too much junk to be a positive thing. lt's not only allowable, it's important to lay off and treat ourselves once in a while. lf we can do that without yo-yoing up and down, so much the better. You're doing a great job :)
:yeah: well said.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years and years ago I went to weight watchers. It wasn't my favourite place to go. First of all too many women didn't use deodorants. Another thing the woman who ran it was very irritating. When we were weighed she would say 'good Judy. You lost s pound this week' or 'you didn't lose any this week. Have you got your period' this was said with an annoying voice that resonated. We were a mixed bunch. Women, men and children. As I said. Ages ago when I still got my periods. Why do you call a full stop a period?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did it!! Woo Hoo! I lost 7oz. I know it's not much but it's something! Winchester my friend, don't give up. It's horrible and it's hard but you can do it. Look how far you have come and look how close you are. Just hang in there, be proud of yourself. I'm proud of you :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, guys. I'm just having some issues again, I guess. I'm so close to goal and I keep screwing things up. Again. It seems to be what I do best.

Hang in there, everybody. 

Tammat, you go! 7 ounces lost is awesome! 

Catsallaround, I hope you feel better soon.

Andrya, congrats for maintaining!

Stewball, yes, I mince garlic by slicing it in half, then slicing it very thinly, then turning it and chopping the slices. You can use a garlic press, too; I do sometimes. 

Link for banana peppers:  http://bonnieplants.com/products/vegetables/peppers/sweet-banana-pepper

They can be mild, medium, or hot. I like the ones with a little heat, but not really hot. I slice off the top, then take out the membranes and the seeds; that's where most of the heat is found. They're really good and when I add peppers to any dish, I will add both green and/or red chopped peppers and a bit of our banana peppers, too. 

Karen, I know. Been there, done that too many times to count. And it doesn't really seem to be getting any better. Congrats on losing your pound!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.