The Weight Loss Support Group - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it makes sense. you are correct jtbo jtbo . There's plant based fats and animal fats. A combo of both is good. Low sat is good but they now find eggs to be better than they thought. all I know is my gramps lived to be 91. He ate 2 eggs each morning and drank a couple sniffers of whiskey every night-never had issues other than the typical older folks stuff. So I look at it if my gramps and pops live to be ripe old age then maybe it won't be so bad. cancer does run in my family on the female side unfortunately but I don't let it stifle me. We just lost a healthy mid 50s male to heart attack a few days ago here at work-he was a gym nut and ate good food. never junk food..and still died of heart attack..so I am saying to hell with it. Going to try for more fats n proteins and lower the carbs. I eat way too many carbs. So a few days last week I ate eggs bacon a couple times a day and voila I was NOT HUNGRY or cravings...so gonna try that.
Nutritional database shows that 100 grams of boiled egg having 2.4 grams of saturated fats, for my weight, activity and gender recommended maximum amount of saturated fats for whole day is around 26 grams.

Average Finnish egg weights 55grams, so two eggs would be 110grams, that is 2.64 grams of saturated fats, which is not a lot at all.

Eggs do have Cholesterol, but that is not ending up rising blood cholesterol levels, it is bit more complicated system, at least that is my understanding, but saturated fats collects in veins and cause clogs etc.

Eggs are great food, no need to feel bad about it at all.

100g Bacon has 17 grams of saturated fats, so much worse than eggs.

Another thing to remember is how easy it is to eat too much of something, for example white bread, you can easily eat a loads of it, also it is almost like eating sugar in energy terms, bacon is easier to eat lot of calories than eggs and so on.

How long one will live etc. mostly genetics define it, there is some effect diet has to it, but again depending from your genetics. However in this world they claim everyone having equal chance and truth about genetics affecting more than diet is not told as it would be something not nice to say or something.

New reported here about girl that got into body building few years ago, took lot of proteins and died at 25 years because her body did not handle protein as well as normal people would, so better not overdo anything, there are differences in our bodies.

For example my protein intake is around 1.3 grams / kg of body weight, for 80kg person that would be 104 grams / day.

Protein has maximum absorption rate of 10 grams per hour, but that is maximum, it can be as low as 0.1 grams per hour, so there is limit and above that limit it becomes a poison, if there is problem in body handling protein, staying far from limits is recommended.

B6 vitamin need is related to protein intake for example, so it is not as simple as changing one thing in diet, always whole picture needs to be addressed. Rule is 0.02mg for 1 gram of protein.

You can see why I'm working on my spreadsheet, it is great help as I can put all relations to formulas and it gives me straight answers, just need to adjust my food accordingly.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is bit tricky, but low fat or low carb diet affects Serotonin levels and those with depression needs to be careful with that as for example anti-depressants won't work without carbs so well.

So it is never as simple as low fat or low carb, whole picture matters and there are a lot more to think about than just weight loss.

I'm not against low carb diets, but I'm against using them long term and without understanding how carbs really affect body and mind. Relations are far more complex than just what one eats, though. Happy feeling from loosing weight does same as feeling one gets from eating carbs, but I tend to think that you can't do one for too long, alternating low fat and low carb is what I think works best.

Some reading:
Low-Carb State of Mind

Understanding nutrition, depression and mental illnesses
Carbohydrates are naturally occurring polysaccharides and play an important role in structure and function of an organism. In higher organisms (human), they have been found to affect mood and behavior. Eating a meal which is rich in carbohydrates triggers the release of insulin in the body. Insulin helps let blood sugar into cells where it can be used for energy and simultaneously it triggers the entry of tryptophan to brain. Tryptophan in the brain affects the neurotransmitters levels.

Consumption of diets low in carbohydrate tends to precipitate depression, since the production of brain chemicals serotonin and tryptophan that promote the feeling of well being, is triggered by carbohydrate rich foods. It is suggested that low glycemic index (GI) foods such as some fruits and vegetables, whole grains, pasta, etc. are more likely to provide a moderate but lasting effect on brain chemistry, mood, and energy level than the high GI foods - primarily sweets - that tend to provide immediate but temporary relief.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
so far I keep on the band wagon for a week then 3 days off eating junk..I am slowing making better food choices..I feel so much better if I stay AWAY from too many carbs. I try to stay under 100 grams a day. Some people do 20. But their bodies are different than mine. One gal is diabetic-is on the keto diet and her sugar numbers have GREATLY improved since she dumped carbs. She allows herself 20 a day. She was able to drop 2 medications and lower down 2 others. She was on 4 for diabetes alone. And overweight. So seeing her results is kick starting me.

I eat oatmeal in the morning and some OJ but I water down the oj. I started eating nuts instead of potato chips/crackers.

In the salad lane where you get dressings-there are these parmeson crisps-they have very low carbs. and taste like croutons..so I been munching on cheese type snacks instead..so far good. I haven't lost weight yet because I keep giving into night time snacking 3 days a week which offsets the good eating...so I am still in size 18/20 jeans...I kept my 14 and 16s in hopes I will soon drop...now to pick up the gym again.

Status
Not open for further replies.