The Weight Loss Support Group - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been eating pretty well this week, not snacking in the evenings (aside from one night I had some apple slices) and I haven't lost much at all. Feeling a little frustrated with it this week. I resisted bad food last night hoping to be down this morning but nope.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it wasn't for my food scale or measuring cups I wouldn't be able to do it. Especially growing up in the supersize it generation. Portion sizes is so distorted. I really love the packages that say about 2 or 3 servings. I have found in weighing my packages of birds eye vegetables there is not as many servings in it as they say. If it says two servings on it I will weigh it and then divide it in two. Then when I use can veggies for soup and stuff. I never use the water in the cans but they are counting that in the serving size. It's so confusing. 

But the good thing about this journey is you learn as you go. If you mess up or gain a little you can if you journal you can look over the last week and make adjustments. 

Now I have a question for those that do protien powders. I have been thinking about doing them. I looked at shakeology but 130 a month is way out of budget. Does anyone have suggestions?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I use one of them on Amazon. its strawberry banana and 120 calories for each 30 gram scoop. Optimum Nutrition I think its called? they have a smaller 2lb bottle and large 5lb bottle. I buy the 2lb only because of space. I don't find it fills me up at all. I still eat more. So I usually buy those 30 gram bars that are in the red package and has peanut butter flavor. you have to drink a large glass of water with it as well. There are tons of flavors of that optimum one-I think 20 dif ones to try. I hate chocolate so tried a fruit flavor even if I don't like sweets. I like salty vs sweet. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Protein is easy to overdo, safe limit is around twice the weight in kg as grams.

For example, my weight 86kg is 2 x 86 = 172 grams of protein, going above that, depending from individual differences can quite quickly lead to poisoning and even to kidney damage.

Also if one has issues with kidneys, protein levels should be kept quite low.

That is why I have chosen not to do powders, I know myself and I probably would accidentally overdo it.

0.8grams of protein for each kg of body weight is somewhat normal amount of protein I believe, for me that would be just below 70 grams, less than two cans of tuna (316 calories), of course more weight, more protein one needs.

Also when doing really low calories, tuna, chicken or powder are choices, taking 20-30 grams or more protein at once would be better than taking less, but some sources say over 40 grams would not help, so splitting it trough the day works best and there powder might be really great help.

I don't know what kind of place this is, but different proteins are not the same, whey protein is one of the better ones, at least I think I read such some time ago, anyway pricing is not too horrible?:
http://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10852500.html

I have read also that after workout recovery chocolate drink works wonders and when I did consider protein powder, I thought that for me chocolate taste might of worked best.

Those do have calories though and some are not low calorie stuff at all, so one should check amount of calories.

Tammat probably knows much more about those, as I haven't personally used those, just looked into them.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did my protien up and I need any where from 132 to 176 grams of protien a day. There is no way I am getting that. I am also going to start a cardio program next month and when the kids start school in August I will start lifting. I am half way to goal so I think it's time to start regularly working out. I do hit or miss now but I need to get strict. I need another 60 pounds gone in the next 11 months. I want to be slim at my 40th birthday. I am gaining confidence as I lose but I want to feel pretty again not the woman that everyone looks at with a half hearted smile or worse where they look at me then quickly look away. It's time to stop being invisible. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my protien up and I need any where from 132 to 176 grams of protien a day. There is no way I am getting that. I am also going to start a cardio program next month and when the kids start school in August I will start lifting. I am half way to goal so I think it's time to start regularly working out. I do hit or miss now but I need to get strict. I need another 60 pounds gone in the next 11 months. I want to be slim at my 40th birthday. I am gaining confidence as I lose but I want to feel pretty again not the woman that everyone looks at with a half hearted smile or worse where they look at me then quickly look away. It's time to stop being invisible. 
I'm sure you can do it!

Yeah, it is funny how people even unintentionally don't notice a person if that person has more weight than they. I was completely invisible last summer, now it is whole different thing, I'm sure most don't even realize they are doing that.

Getting enough protein is doing a lot for well being, imo. I had too little too and for example when exercising I got muscles really sore/painful that lasted several days, with added protein not so much of such.

I don't know what to believe from protein now as I read this it says so many things completely differently than so many other places, but I guess it is not really badly wrong as there are references that seem to support those claims made in article:
http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-tr...often-you-should-eat-protein-to-build-muscle/

However I know that there are studies where it is found out that body can't handle much more than 2 grams per kilogram of body weight and then protein becomes a poison, but also I know that many body builders consume more.

I try to target 1.5 to 1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight, it is more than generic recommendations by health organizations.

Oh, me too should really start doing some kind of structured regular weight training, but I guess I would need a program that I could print and put to wall so I could stick with it every day or at least most of the days if program calls for rest days.

edit:
I stumbled upon these kind of template things, thought I share, maybe someone find them useful:
http://personalsuccesstoday.com/focused-fitness-planner/
http://www.free-power-point-templates.com/articles/fitness-progress-chart-template-for-excel/

There is also article with references about protein:
http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/

Last edited:

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok guys for the last few days I have struggled to get 900 calories a day because of the bug I had. Well today I was famished I have ate like 2000 calories. 600 more than I usually have. But my maintenance is 2600 will the jump in calories make me gain a lot? Should I give it a few days before I weigh in? 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was 1 gram protein for every pound of body weight. Eg 200 lbs body weight = 200grams of protein. If you are doing an intensive muscle building programme you can go up to 2x. I only have a protein shake after I weight train. It is actually a high carb mixture for muscle recovery. My trainer only allows me to have half the recommended amount. He also stresses to me not to overdo natural proteins too. This is for the reason jtbo jtbo said before. It's bad for your kidneys and can make you very sick. Look for meats that are high in protein such as turkey. The portion size is not so overwhelming. You can also eat grains and veggies higher in protein eg quinoa and sweet potatoes. A boiled egg is a great snack. Protein and healthy fats.
Today I am at peace with the fact that my maintenance calories are probably 300 calories less than I thought. I thought that I could eat lots because I weight train and the Internet and magazines ect... Said that I could [emoji]128514[/emoji]

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fitness pal tells me to have 65g of protein a day. I don't know about this stuff, I just try to eat less carbs and fat and stick to 1200 calories a day.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fitness pal tells me to have 65g of protein a day. I don't know about this stuff, I just try to eat less carbs and fat and stick to 1200 calories a day.
That could be correct.? I don't know?I do a bodybuilding programme so for me protein is very important. It's probably well worth finding out just how much you need. I'll see if I can find anything out there.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was 1 gram protein for every pound of body weight. Eg 200 lbs body weight = 200grams of protein. If you are doing an intensive muscle building programme you can go up to 2x. I only have a protein shake after I weight train. It is actually a high carb mixture for muscle recovery. My trainer only allows me to have half the recommended amount. He also stresses to me not to overdo natural proteins too. This is for the reason jtbo jtbo said before. It's bad for your kidneys and can make you very sick. Look for meats that are high in protein such as turkey. The portion size is not so overwhelming. You can also eat grains and veggies higher in protein eg quinoa and sweet potatoes. A boiled egg is a great snack. Protein and healthy fats.
Today I am at peace with the fact that my maintenance calories are probably 300 calories less than I thought. I thought that I could eat lots because I weight train and the Internet and magazines ect... Said that I could [emoji]128514[/emoji]
46 grams in total for adult female (standard weight and muscle amount) is one official recommendation (varies by country, that much they know about things, just random recommendations), which is really really low, but I think from that it is up 2x.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein

1 gram for every pound would be that 2x I believe as that is something around 2.2 grams for each kg. 2 grams for each pound would be 4.4 grams for each kg and that would be 378.4 grams for me at 86kg, which would be a lot too high, that would be over 1500 calories from protein alone.

Here local authority recommends 10-20% of energy and doctors doing healthcare for athletics in training recommend 0.8g/kg to 1.7g/kg depending from sports, again those can be conflicting.

Of course other nations have different limits as despite all the studies it is not perhaps exactly known (there are lot of variables and lot of difference between individuals), or it can be that standard person is different, it is sometimes quite frustrating to find out how things really are, but something like 2 grams for kg or 1 gram for pound is safe upper limit, I believe, it might be possible to go higher, but how much and how certainly?

Some sources say protein is quickly absorbed while others say protein is remaining in gut until needed.

Not too much, not too little, I guess that is safe choice :)

little cutie66

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, this morning I was 129.8, I finally got below 130 pounds. I'm eating less but I have to say I am hungry when I go to bed. This is so hard!!! Good luck everyone, you can do it! We have to stay strong and focused. :)

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NSV for me yesterday. I got in a size 16 jeans. 
yes I had spanks on to hold in the muffin top but I got them on buttoned and was able to sit without the feeling of being cut in two. So of course I bought them. I haven't had a pair of jeans that size in 8 years. One of which that was not in the plus size section. It feels unreal for this to be happening. I can't wait to see how my body changes when I join the gym. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NSV for me yesterday. I got in a size 16 jeans. :woohoo: yes I had spanks on to hold in the muffin top but I got them on buttoned and was able to sit without the feeling of being cut in two. So of course I bought them. I haven't had a pair of jeans that size in 8 years. One of which that was not in the plus size section. It feels unreal for this to be happening. I can't wait to see how my body changes when I join the gym. 
Wow, that is really cool!

Crazy thing is that sometimes scale does not show it, but waist goes down and I have found out my legs transforming even weight haven't always changed, it happens :D

Working out makes so many things lot easier, picking up stuff and being able to breathe normally was one of the things I found new, it is wonderful journey!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is really cool!

Crazy thing is that sometimes scale does not show it, but waist goes down and I have found out my legs transforming even weight haven't always changed, it happens

Working out makes so many things lot easier, picking up stuff and being able to breathe normally was one of the things I found new, it is wonderful journey!
You are so right the things I am able to do that doesn't involve a scale is so much better. Being able to carry my daughter, she is 35 pounds. Being able to go outside and run and play with the kids. Getting on the floor with them to play and not being scared if I can get back up. A real treat to me was being able to fit in the bath tub and take a bath and soak my muscles in hot water. And not having to get a table at a resturant because my belly wont fit in a booth.  I can go on and on. That's just losing 60 pounds. I can't imagine what I will be able to do when I reach goal. 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went shopping and bought some new clothes because I was sick of having nothing that properly fit. My new capris are size 12!!! My new shirts are medium or large. A year ago, I was wearing 16/18 and XL/1X clothes. It felt so good to buy new clothes in a smaller size.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went shopping and bought some new clothes because I was sick of having nothing that properly fit. My new capris are size 12!!! My new shirts are medium or large. A year ago, I was wearing 16/18 and XL/1X clothes. It felt so good to buy new clothes in a smaller size.
That is a success alright! :D

I still need to do clothes shopping, everything I have are gigantic sails on me, I do like loose fitting clothes, but my current ones are something like double in size they should be and I certainly don't have any idea which size I should get, so can't buy everything from online.

Ridiculous thing is that I never felt being that big and for certain I never noticed that my size did grow up, but from year ago, I too find out how nothing really fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.