The TRUTH about how often people clean the box

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I scoop all four of our litter boxes everyday. If I don't, there's a smell, and we've tried so hard to keep the house from smelling like cats...

I should completely change out the litter at least once a month, though, and I don't...But that's going to start happening very soon!

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now, I *cannot* scoop (pregnant) so DH does it. Without nagging him, he gets it every other day, and we have three litterboxes at this point, so none of them are terrible by that point in time. Nagged, he gets at it once a day.

After the baby comes, I'll probably be scooping it every time I see that there is anything inside that needs scooping out, which basically means "as often as necessary." This is always how I've been when not pregnant.

With three LBs and three cats, we don't have *any* elimination problems with the cats.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How often do you scoop your clumping litterbox, and how often do you change it completely?

Our litterbox is in our bathroom and I scoop it at least 2 times a day and usually more (like every time I am in the bathroom during the day). And I change it completely every 2 to 3 weeks. I use the cheap target brand scoopable litter, I would rather spend the money on her food and I figured since I scoop so often that it would be okay (and it has).

So I was curious about others litter habits.

malleycatmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been doing it every night. I bought one of those sifting/grated boxes, but it's a mess to clean. Litter everywhere when I'm lifting the grate and pouring the litter back in. Plus it's small, so I can't see it working well for long.

I dump the litter into a plastic bag, tie it off and into the baby's Diaper Champ it goes.

Tonight we picked up a new kitten, bringing our kitty total to 2, so I am thinking I'll pick up a big rolling box for them.

mowwuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Know this is an older topic,but think it's disgusting that people are allowed to have cats euthanised for weeing problems,and don't understand how vets can allow it,these are possible behavior issues and they are otherwise healthy-they might not be able to cope with them but someone else will.
Am knew someone who had her pet dog euthanised for pooing in the house,
they rarely ever took him out for walks.
some people really do not deserve to have the company of an animal.

Although do not have any cats inhouse [not allowed them],when at the family home,am always checking the litter tray out of habit and making sure it's perfectly clean,going through every bit to make sure there are no hidden lumps or clumps of litter.
Don't have any problem with doing it at all,Samianther usually ends up missing the tray and splatting the side and floor with her poo,the poor cat wouldn't be on target if the tray was the size of a swimming pool,she tends to run away a lot when she hasn't finished as well,so she drags it all into the room and onto someones knee if they weren't watching.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is sad how some people don't clean their cats litter boxes & they wonder why their cat isn't peeing or pooing in that area! That would be like us not flushing the toilet, it would be gross!

We make sure to clean our cats litter boxes everyday. We want our kitties to have clean bathrooms!

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 7 litter boxes and I scoop at least 3 times a day. Some times more. But minimum is 3 times. Durning the weekend, when I am home all day, they usually get scooped as often as they are used. (some times 7 times in one day, seems like all I am doing)

Valerie

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have two boxes for two cats. Both boxes are scooped at least once a day and sometimes more if someones does something particularly smelly.

Even scooping once a day there seems to be a lot of waste "product". I can't imagine how horrible their boxes would be if it went more than a couple of days

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Peanut has a little litterbox and I really need to either get her a larger one or a 2nd one... for such a small kitten she makes water and stinkies an awful lot! It gets cleaned every day as soon as I get home from work.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One box (omega paw roll-away large size).
Three cats (3 YO and two kittens ~7 months)
Litter- mix of corn-based and papurr scoop
Scoop- I "roll" the box twice a day, in the morning and at night. I do a fine sifting with a scoop every week.
Top off- I add litter about 1-2 scoops every 2-3 days
Completely clean- About once every 1-2 months, as needed

Art

stillandsilent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Puss gets the scoop every day. If I miss, he has no problem pooping right next to the box, then coming to tell me what he just did. Then he sits on the pool table and watches me clean it up.
I'll admit that I'm pretty cheap. He refused clumping litter/pine litter/ anything else fancy so he gets the cheap brand. When I scoop his poops out, I just put them in a gallon ziplock baggie and seal it until it starts to really smell in there, then I just dump the bag. We use littler liners, so once a week I wrap everything up and toss it.
He was dumped at the pound because he wouldn't use the box. Funny, I don't have the problem.

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have two cats, but only the new kitten uses a litter box, damian will only go outside. anyway, i scoop max's box 1-2 times a day depending on what's in it. i use a clumping litter and when i do a top off of clean stuff fill it back up from what is missing from the clumping max jumps right in and needs to pee on the new stuff, lol. he's like a baby who waits for a brand new clean diaper to soil it! we also have a box in the basement for the rare occasion when damian would use a box and it just had some cheap stuff in it and max wouldn't use it at all! when i scoop it i use these little bags i found at petsmart. i forget what they are called, but the bags pop up like a baby wipe, i tie it off and toss it, odor gone.

catzrule40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do it 3 or 4 times a day, sometimes more. I clean it completely every two weeks. The last litter I used was the walmart brand which is actually pretty good. I scoop whenever I see anything in the box. I want to keep it clean for them.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We don't have any clumping litter available where I live, so I use the ordinary gravel type litter
. I use a liner in the tray and scoop the poop almost as soon as it has happened
. I bin the whole lot about every 4 days. The tray is in my bathroom with the window permanently open, so there is no smell.

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey meow meow that friend of yours that put an 8 year old cat down
for peeing, should not be allowed to have animals, what a lame excuse.
there are other alternatives, adopt out, shelters
maybe a friend, then you also said the litter pan was bad... nice....
some people.

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I either scoop every day or every other day. I clean the whole box at least once a month, usually 3-3.5 weeks. Frisco doesn't complain so I think he's happy.

I know exactly what you mean though! Some people in my family--I'm not saying who they are incase they see this
--who don't scoop the litterbox up to one WEEK.

kendalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 3 cats and 4 litter boxes. I scoop everyday. On a rare occasion when we are both super super busy, we may forget and miss one day. Never more than one day though.

I totally clean out the boxes every other week in the summer and about once a month in the winter.

A friend of mine has 3 cats and only 1 litter box that they scoop once a week! I can't believe those cats are actually using it all the time but they are.

vegaskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I pretty much scoop as I see it as I have a puppy who loves kittiy crunchies LOL