The TRUTH about how often people clean the box

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats and 6 litterboxes and I still have to scoop 2-3 times a day. If I don't, Jake will do it for me

Plus, I'm obsessive about my house smelling

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scoop the upstairs box once a day... my dad does the downstairs box because he's down there more than I am. I don't think the one in my room stinks... or maybe I'm just used to it.
All I know is I must evacuate when one of them drops a bomb!

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our litterbox routine has gotten MUCH better in our new place. Smaller apartment means the litterbox can't be "forgotten".

I also made it as easy as possible for myself. We have one of these:
http://www.omegapaw.com/RollnCleanReg.html

And I use Clump and Flush litter (corn but without the gross smell of Worlds Best) and it's made everything SO MUCH EASIER!!!! Roll, pull out tray, flush, DONE. I'm actually happy about doing the box now. I scoop once a day, every morning, and it never smells. I actually had a friend over one evening (so there WAS poop and pee in the litter) comment on how great my bathroom smells. WOOHOO!

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

How well does that rolling one work? I know it's slightly off topic but I'm always looking for more efficient and expedient ways to keep a clump free box. Does it waste any litter?
I find the only time it "wastes" litter is if it isn't clipped closed properly, but then I just sweep it up and put it back in the box. The only stuff that ends up in the tray is dirty clumped stuff, unless you roll too quickly.

My only problem was with the actual litter I used first with it. I had been using Arm and Hammer, which I find clumps very "wet" when it clumps and they were sticking to the side, therefor not falling cleanly into the scoop when rolled and I had to take the lid off to scrape and scoop. Changing to a different litter (Clump and Flush) which has a "drier" clump (not so sticky) and that problem is gone.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We now have 5 kitties and 3 boxes. two downstairs and one upstairs. I scoop in the morning and afternoon do a check through out the house. Dave scoops when he comes home from work. Every other day I give them fresh litter cuz I use the cheapo kind. We go through so much litter I cant afford to clean the way I like to and still buy fresh step. Hercules and Lil are extremely anal about the litter box. They share one and it MUST be cleaned at all time and fresh litter sprinkled over top after every scooping. Herc is the snoopervisor of this. I actually go the the dollar store every other month and buy new litter boxes because Herc destroys them with his scratching. And once that first layer is scratched up its like the pee and poo smell doesnt go away! We actually have a problem with out house smelling like dog pee because Bruno still is having issues being house broken.

katmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a first time cat owner (two actually!) and we have one large litter box. I clean it out at least twice a day, sometimes more. I don't want people walking in to the house and knowing I have cats without even seeing them first!

And I don't know what other people use but we use diaper/nappy bags to dispose of the remnants.

The lady at the rescue center told us we could get a box of 250 for £1.00 at the Pound Store. For those of you in the UK, I found an even better deal at ASDA....a packet of 300 for 79p! Just thought I'd pass that on.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use nappy sacks, I go to Wilkinsons at the moment, might compare what I get there compared to Asda, thanks for hte tip.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I scoop every day, since my cats are usually outside during the day they only use it at night, sometimes they wait until they go out in the morning after eating. So I don't have to scoop very often. But I always keep a check on it. And completely change it out and wash it and sanitize it once a month!! I don't want people coming over to smell it. And I have even asked my guests sometimes if they smell it.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As a new cat owner I scoop out any clumps just about every time I walk by the litterbox. Whether or not this continues over time remains to be seen.

Mez

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I scoup 3 boxes, once in the morning, then when i get home from work in the evening.

I have to, because theres so many wee balls and poop parcels that i couldn't let them stand around them
Their big boxes as well that they have.

I hate a dirty toilet so my cats are no different

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy tiny little cheap trash bags and scoop into those. Then twist closed and knot the top, and the smell's sealed into the bag. Once a day is enough with only two cats. I make it part of my evening routine, before I go to bed; otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd forget!

Baby came from a house with three cats and one litter box. Their owner told me she refused to use the litter box. Here, either she or Tiny had one accident--total--since I got them; and that was before I got the third box, so Tiny couldn't block Baby from using a box by sitting in the doorways.

Wanna bet they didn't clean the box at her old home?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One cat, one large enclosed box, scoop once or twice per day.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have always done the same thing. i scoop once a day or every other day it really depends on how i feel that day. then i completely dump the litter and scrub the pan once a month. Monster always has to supervise when his box is being scooped. he will even jump in it and go while im scooping lol. and he ALWAYS has to dirty it again right after i finish scooping. He is my only cat and i have one box for him, in my room. I know that he should have more than one, and im trying to convince my bfs mom that i need to put one downstairs. however, Monster will always make it to the box- he has never gone outside of the box and i want to keep it that way, which is mainly why i keep it clean. another is that it is in my bedroom and for obvious reasons i dont want it to stink.. when my friends come over and are in my room, its pretty obvious that the box is there, its in plain sight but i have asked if they can smell it, and everyone says no- and i have honest friends so i kno they arent just saying that to spare my feelings.

My moms cat had elimination problems that started after she had my brother. (i was 16 when she had him, now im 21). My mom is a neat freak and she NEVER EVER went a day with out scooping Peppers box. and even though she uses clumping litter, she still switched it out once a week and scrubbed it. we tried everything to help her use the box again, moving it to the spot she was going in.. (upstairs, it seemed like she was in a way hiding from the baby) checking her for health problems, switching brands of litter, literally everything. i thought maybe it was an attention thing, being jealous of the baby or something but according to my mom she paid the same amount of attention to pepper as she had always done before the baby was born. i moved out and a few years later my mom told me she was taking her to the humane society bc she couldnt deal with her going right in front of the box all the time, and they wound up euthanizing her bc she hated people and wouldnt let them examine her
io cried to my mom and begged her not to do it i even asked my mom to give her to me but she said she couldnt let me take her knowing what she would do... i felt so sad and so angry at her for doing that i could never get rid of monster

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 1 cat and a covered box and I scoop 1x a day and then change it completely about every 5-7 days. It only smells when it's *right* after she poops. Only problem is she poops after I go to bed and I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night to scoop, and then in the morning I'm usually in such a rush that it doesn't happen until I get home. So then it sits there for maybe 12 hours and even though the smell goes away, it's gross that it's still there. I'm gonna have to start scooping in the morning I guess.

A friend of mine keeps her litter box in her bathroom and it's not covered so you see everything. Whenever I go to use her bathroom not only is there litter everywhere from the cat messing with it but there is probably 4-5 days worth of poop. It's *so* gross. I'm surprised that cat isn't going elsewhere...

cykotica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never.

I have had one of my cats for 7 some-odd years, and I still cannot clean the litter box. Sure, there have been times where I've been home alone and forced to, but I have such a touchy gag reflex I just can't do it. So, my husband has been permanently delegated to that duty.

The only real problem we've had in the past with litterbox cleanliness is the fact that my husband apparently has a faulty nose. The litterbox can be sitting right next to him and he won't smell it. So, to solve that problem, we moved the litter box from his office, to the entryway, which is near my recliner. Since I have a very sensitive nose , and can SEE and hear when they use the litterbox, my cats are much much happier.

Course I have to run for cover when they drop a bomb...

clairebear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have one 5 month old currently using the box. I'm at home most of the day so I scoop straight away after he poops and usually check the box through if i've been out. It's next to the toilet so I just flush it. We have cheapy cat litter so I turn the litter over constanly and sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda with really helps and change/clean the pan completly about every 12 days or so. I use those litter box liners so it's really easy.
I haven't really noticed any pee smells, I don't know if thats because of the bicarb or because he's still young? He was also just neutered yesterday, maybe that going to help?

I don't understand how people who never clean out the box can stand the smell themselves leave alone how the poor kitties must feel!

Thanks and licks...x

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow,
I scoop out the litterbox at LEAST twice a day, and usually more like 4 times. It is in our bathroom and it is easy enough to check it every time I am in there.
I change the litter completely every 2 weeks.

I use a really cheap scoopable litter, I would rather spend the money on her food. I figure the litter is just something we throw away anyway and as long as I am scooping it often it does not matter that it is the cheap stuff.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have just one cat. I scoop every morning and sometimes at night if I think about it. We use scoopable (the Sam's Club brand), and since I'm being honest I'll admit that I change the whole box every 2 or 3 weeks or as soon as it starts to stink.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's so true, and so sad. The number one reason cats wind up in shelters is litter box problems, and they are entirely the fault of the people. From not checking their medical status to letting the box get dirty, some people just won't address it.

In fact, I admire cats for putting up with so much.

When I had a rescue in my house, we had four main boxes over the basement stairs, not in the house, that only cats could get to, so the dogs stayed out. They got cleaned every day. (And for a while, it was before you could get clumping litter!) There were also boxes in the quarantine rooms which got cleaned every day.

With 10-15 cats, people still couldn't tell from the smell. They would be amazed, because with that many cats, it was obvious we had some.

Now I have three and a Litter Robot, so keeping the box clean is a snap. I think I have three sharing a litter box with no problems because the 'Bot cleans after every use, so each cat gets a clean box every time.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bea goes outside in the backyard, so I don't worry about her but my kittens still go in a litter box.
When I first got them I cleaned it as often as 5 times a day! they smelled so bad when they went.
I've since switched them over to a raw diet though and now I clean it once a day. Except now it doesn't smell AT ALL when they go due to raw diet petrified poops so I have to keep it in the bathroom where I'll see it or I'll forget to clean it altogether...