The TCS Long-Distance Rescue League

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CarolPetunia suggested that perhaps we need to establish a TCS Long-Distance Rescue League. Now that is an outstanding idea!!

If anyone would like to participate, please put down the following information:

General area where you live:

What things you would be willing to do to help a cat rescue:

Are you willing to travel and if so, how far?:

Any other thoughts about rescuing or any limitations:

Please, let's strictly keep this a single post by volunteers only. If we need to chat about it, let's do it in a separate thread so that we don't bog this one down. If people are looking for help fast, it's hard to read thru a long thread.

If you need to call upon these services, I suggest that you do the following:

Post a new thread in Cats SOS and call for help from the rescue team in the title: ATTN Rescue League, cat needs help in xx (location)

In addition, go through this thread and find folks in the general area where you need help and PM them to ask for help. If there isn't anyone in the area where you need help, you will need to fall back on the new SOS thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kansas City, Missouri area

Bottle feed orphans
Lend traps for feral cats
Trap feral cats
Assess behavior issues
Pull cats from high-kill shelters
Fundraising
Make phone calls to try to find resources

Yes - Would like to limit it to within 200 miles

I can't foster unless it is strictly overnight. Too many cats here and can't rock the balance in the home. Baby kittens are an exception.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
General area where you live: Midland, Michigan

What things you would be willing to do to help a cat rescue: Travel to facilitate re-homing.

Are you willing to travel and if so, how far?: Approximately 200 miles.

My current work schedule is horrendous. I would probably be available Tuesday evenings, Wednesdays and most weekends. I've never been involved with rescue...truly a neophyte here, but willing to help.

I'm involved on the CRF support emergency care list, and am able to do the following: Medications (oral, injectable, topical) Sub-Q fluids, assist feeding, minor first aid.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
General area where you live: North Central WV (Morgantown/Fairmont area)
What things you would be willing to do to help a cat rescue: travel to facillitate re-homing
Are you willing to travel and if so, how far?: 200 miles (more if desperately needed; very busy between work and school!)

Any other thoughts about rescuing or any limitations: I cannot keep any more animals at my apartment. If I have any extra animals in my apartment, the management of the apartment complex will charge me $350! I already paid $700 to have my cats, can't afford any more!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plano, Texas -- far northeast part of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

-- Pick up kitties from bad places (including high-kill shelters) and deliver them to good places.

-- Track down resources and make arrangements by phone and internet.
-- Bottle-feed orphans and foster them until other arrangements are made.

Yes, though I'm financially limited, and also have some vision trouble at times. Can always go 30 or 40 miles, though, and sometimes more.

I really can't foster due to my living situation -- except for bottle-babies who can stay in a cage or the bathtub. Tiny ones are always welcome here, no matter what...we'll find a way!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to eventually be very involved, but I can't really travel outside the area (Chicago) for the time being and my schedule is HORRENDOUS from now until I graduate in June AND my current living arrangements don't allow me to foster. FEEL FREE to let me know if there's anything else I can do or any information or resource you need help finding...I have a lot at my fingertips and a lot of experience with strays and ferals, though I've never bottlefed. For now, though, I'm on a sabbatical from physically trapping or rescuing the little dears. I'm only doing adoptions at the shelter at this point because of time issues...right before one graduates is spectacularly busy...grrrr!

I also have access to low or no cost S/N services in Chicago.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent idea Amy!

Perth, Western Australia

Bottle feed orphaned/abandoned kittens.
Care of injured/sick kittens.
Long-Distance driving to pick up and rehome cats and kittens.
Foster adult cats (1-2 days).
Make phone calls to try to find resources.

Yes - Happy to drive up to 4-5 hours in any direction from Perth.

I'm only able to foster adult cats for 1-2 days as I have 6 cats of my own. I can foster kittens, including bottle-babies for however long is needed.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SW Ohio (Cincinnati)

trap, transport, short-term foster, research rescue resources and shelters

Yes. I have a busy, but flexible schedule. Would prefer no more than 200 miles, but depending on timing could up to 4-5 hours from home.

I'm willing to foster, but in most cases in would need to be short-term (overnight or a few days at most) depending on whether or not I'm already fostering. Limited experience caring for very young kittens, but have the resources to do so. I do have experience socializing feral kittens and access to local spay/neuter resources. I've been involved with some long distance adoptions of rescued cats (including several through TCS) and they've all worked out great. I totally support this!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CarolPetunia suggested that perhaps we need to establish a TCS Long-Distance Rescue League. Now that is an outstanding idea!!

General area where you live: NE Ohio

Transport, care for a short period of time, finding resources in our area, vet care

Yes, I'll go up to 200 miles.

It's going to depend. PM me with the issue.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can this be made a sticky??

Richmond, Virginia

Pick up kitties from bad homes or kill shelters and drive them to new homes
Help make phone calls to rescue organizations, seeking placement for kitties
Foster overnight or a few days (After July 2007)

Transportation limited so would prefer to keep in Richmond Metro area.

Low cost spay/neuter nearby. Would be willing to schedule and transport to appointments in the area.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
General Area where you live near Tacoma, WA

what things would you be willing to do to help cat rescue
do transport, weekends only (sorry), donate goods for fund raising or to assist foster home in cat care

How Far Can You Travel
up to 3 hours one way

Any Other Thoughts about rescuing or limitations
Unable to foster even overnight, my best ability is for transport and donations.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
North Idaho /Eastern washington

I will drive if needed:0... never fostered but willing to as I do have some room..

Anywhere that doesnt require going thru a mtn pass..

I am not skilled with newborns or young kittens...

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if you need any Uk'ers on here?

Essex

Bottle feed orphans
Trap feral cats
Fundraising
Make phone calls to try to find resources

Yes - Would like to limit it to within 100 miles

I can't keep any more cats here, but would love to help in any way needed.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a GREAT idea!!

Silver Spring, Maryland and I work in DC

Short and long-distance driving to pick up and rehome cats and kittens.
Foster adult cats (1-2 days) **ONLY IF NECESSARY**
Fundraising
Finding resources/network with other cat lovers in my area to see if they can help out too.

Yes - Would like to limit it to within 2-3 hours drive but in emergencies, I may work something out if I need to drive further. Weekends would be best.

I can't foster unless it is strictly overnight. I have too many cats here and I do not really have space but I can keep 1 cat in the bathroom overnight if needed.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tampa Florida area

Transport, and Foster (I have a lot of expiriance with special needs cats)

2-3 hours one way

I normally have a rescue or two at my house so send me a PM and see if I have space. I can't drive too far due to my special needs pets I have of my own but can drive up to 3 hours one way. I have expiriance with bottle babies but due to my schedule, I cant always take them.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The TCS Long-Distance Rescue League

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General area where you live: San Francisco Bay Area

What things you would be willing to do to help a cat rescue: I am at my household limit of feline occupancy and work long hours, so I can't foster, besides hubby would want to keep them all! I am open to requests for other services...

Are you willing to travel and if so, how far?: I could drive transport 300-400 miles round trip.

Any other thoughts about rescuing or any limitations: I don't have a lot of spare time, but am interested in helping out.

Please, let's strictly keep this a single post by volunteers only. If we need to chat about it, let's do it in a separate thread so that we don't bog this one down. If people are looking for help fast, it's hard to read thru a long thread

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
General area where you live: Portland, OR/Pacific NW

What things you would be willing to do to help a cat rescue: semi-local transport. I can't do much travel, due to my schedule, but I can take to rescues/shelters, transport between them, do checks (read that one on the rescue group I just joined in order to try and help this bobtail). I have an SUV, so I certainly have vehicle space for transports. Also vet visits for shut-ins, etc... (we had a call for that at our shelter a few weeks back during a SpayDay event... I wasn't needed, but i did offer)

Are you willing to travel and if so, how far?: If time permits, I can go as far as Seattle in a day, and SF/Bay Area if schedule complies with one of my trips. (family and friends down there). Can also go as far as Idaho and northern Nevada, if needed, with time/schedule permitting.

Any other thoughts about rescuing or any limitations: I can't foster, except for overnight (shhh, don't tell my apt managers), but I can do midweek runs, if needed, in my area. I work weekends, and my days off are midweek. I love alone, so what money I bring home is it, so I can't take time off of jobs to rescue. My fully free day is Wednesday...

Amanda

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
General Area where I live:
Phoenix, Arizona

What I would be willing to do to help:
***pick up kitties/cats from bad places and bring them to somewhere safe.

***I can track down shelters or other resources needed in all of Arizona.

***I could bottle feed if absolutely necessary but have never done it and personally don't have time unless EMERGENCY!I could possibly do this until I could find someone else that will take over it for me!

***Don't really want to care for sick cats but will help find someone that will take them and I will transport them to that location. Could possibly keep them overnight.

***Foster adult cats, kittens until they find permanent homes. I can take young kittens as long as there is no bottle feeding. I do not want to keep them long term though. I have never done this, but I can do it ONLY IF NECESSARY

***Can bring to the vet, but I don't have the money to pay for it

***Can check up on animals within a reasonable distance from me

***Can HELP with trapping. I have never done it but if you need a couple extra hands me and my boyfriend could probably come help.

*** I can help find loving homes for all animals in AZ!

***I can give them lots of TLC!

How far I am willing to travel:
***Would like to keep it to Phoenix and all surrounding cities. Would prefer to keep it under 40 miles. If it's an emergency I can POSSIBLY go all over Arizona, S. California, S. Nevada, S. Utah, and West New Mexico. But remember- only if it's really necessary!

Other thoughts\\limitations:
*** I already have 1 cat of my own. So I don't really want to keep other cats in my small condo for any longer then necassary. But for a a homeless cat or kitten- I will do what I can! Also, I am a little short on funds... but I can supply the litter, food, toys if I'm fostering them myself or to help get someone else started off.

If there is ANYTHING that you need in AZ please ask me if I can do it whether or not it's on my list above. I will see what I can do

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Central Virginia

If a stray needed help, I would contact the resuce group I've been volunteering with.http://www.catscradlevirginia.com/
I can also provide a temp foster home and transportation, make arrangements for spay and shots

2-3 hours (one way)

I cannot bottle feed, only b/c my husband and I work during the day. I would be happy to take nursing mothers, however, I must admit, I have limited experience in that area.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NE Ohio (Kent)

Transport
picking up strays
bottle babies, kittens, pregnant cats
Any cats in need of a new home
trapping cats/semi-ferals are okay

2-3 hours one way

I normally have a rescue or two at my house so send me a PM and see if I have space.