The saddest day is when a kitten goes to heaven, I miss you Basil

bellbell's

tiger (nola baby) & basil (nyc baby)
Kitten
Purraise
This time last week, I told my sweet baby Basil that I loved her and that I would be back in the morning to see her. I could have said goodbye, but I couldn't. I wanted to believe that in the morning, she would be okay; she would come home with me and live. That seven weeks would become eight, and eight, nine. It breaks my heart that I will never see Basil grow up.

I feel the loss of her presence so fully. I look around my room, see her in my mind's eye, and remember what it felt like to hold her in my arms while she purred and slept. I feel like the world is playing some cruel joke that I don't understand. I oscillate between feeling horrible or nothing at all. The memories are like those little butterflies preserved in amber; I can pick them up and look at them. Sometimes it feels like her death didn't happen to me but someone else. Other times, I can't breathe. I stand under the shower and cry, but nothing comes in. It's like my lungs no longer hold enough air the same way.

I feel like I was given this incredible gift just for it to be taken away. Bringing Basil into my life opened up this love and joy I didn't know I could feel. Now that she's gone, I don't know what to do with all my love for her. I look for her, but all I have are my memories. It's hard. I wish I had more memories of her as the healthy, playful kitten she was the first day I brought her home. When she started throwing up and not eating hard or soft food, I knew something was wrong. When I came back from picking up milk replacer and saw her accidentally fall into her water bowl, it hit me like a weight. I put her in her new sling, called a car, and took her to the emergency vet hospital.

As scared as I was, I hold that time with her in the car so close to my heart; it was the last bit of time I truly had with her. I held her close to me; I kissed her little head; I promised her it would all be okay, that we would figure out what was wrong soon, and then we'd go home.

The doctor told me she had feline panleukopenia (FPV) within the hour. Given statistics and her age, she most likely wouldn't survive, and my options were supportive care or euthanasia. It was awful. I could not understand how she, so young and so full of life, could be dying. After seeing her white blood cell count (low but not nonexistent) and her sassy behavior on the table (she did not like the clip monitor), the vet told me that if she were his, he would treat her. Even though she was so small, I believed that with such a compassionate team of vets caring for her, she would be able to fight it. In the middle of the night, her heart stopped beating.

When I told a close friend later what happened, she texted me, "the saddest day in the world / when a kitten goes to heaven." It's stuck with me because it feels so true. I know one day I'll be able to welcome another baby into my life, but I can't imagine it not being her. I wish I could go back and hold her one more time—kiss her little pink nose, look into her blue eyes, and tell her she will always be my baby. I wish I could say to her I'm sorry. I'm so sorry we did not have more time together, I did not see the signs earlier, and I wasn't there to say goodbye.

A vet assistant told me, "we are lucky because we get to have multiple pets in our lives, but for each of them, all they have is us." I will always cherish the time we spent together, and I feel blessed that I'm the one to remember her.

When I discovered this forum on FaceTime with my Mom last week, I felt less alone in such a painfully lonely time. Reading the love, compassion, and generosity in every post and comment has given me so much hope. My heart is with you all.
IMG_6205.jpg
Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 01.02.22.png
IMG_6721.jpg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Think of all the love you gave her in that brief time, and vice versa. You both seized the day & made the most of it! That is a special treasure only the two of you will share for always. You did everything you could. That says a lot about you. I know Basil would want you to keep that joyous kitten energy in your heart as go forward. She is still with you there on the inside and that will never, ever change.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my such a beauty!! I am so, so, very sorry, love. She is at the Bridge now surrounded by the love of so many other babies.

Love,
Mia💖💞:hugs::rbheart:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What a gorgeous little girl! I'm so sorry that you lost her. Even though she was only with you for a short time it sounds as if you packed enough love into her days here to last a life time.

I'm glad she had the chance to know what it was like to be adored before she left.

:hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she will always be near, the bond you formed is spiritual, so eternal. I really think she came into your life to show you what a cat's love can be, and how joyous and happy your heart can feel. She needed someone to be with her, to love her at the end, and you were chosen. For that, she will leave you with your memories of happier times, and the capacity to love another little one when the time is right. To be honored and loved after death is a great honor, your beautiful tribute is heard by all in heaven and she is proud.
Of course, we are empathetic, we have stood where you are standing now, broken and empty, wishing we could change what happened with all our hearts and knowing it just won't happen. But somehow we receive comfort from comforting others, it helps to strengthen our souls and lets the newly bereaved know that there is hope in the future, that somehow you will survive and one day be happy again.
The bond of love between you and Basil is spiritual, so eternal. NOTHING, not even death, can take that from you. "Death cannot take that which never dies". She will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. She gave you something that is rare and precious, a cat's love. Hold it dear and expand it with a new love in the future........RIP beautiful Basil. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Basil, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

She was, is, and always will be, beautiful. Basil lived, breathed, and had her being wrapped in your love. Every day is an eternity for cats, they live in zentime. So her love for you, and yours for her, in her world, were...and are...eternal. This is the deepest truth I know...that love does not die, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from her new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you and sends her Love back to you, to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

My father also lives in That Place Where All Things Are Known, and where the cats are, he will be, also. I'll ask him to keep an eye out for Basil, and make sure she gets more than her share of strokes and skritches.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe this is one of the most moving threads I have ever read.
The love that springs from each word of yours, bellbell's bellbell's , is so thick that it seems I can touch it. This tribute to Basil is heart wrenching, and I'm crying here, as Basil was my kitten.
All the replies to your OP are moving me to tears the same way.
This is evidence that Basil was made of pure and true Love, she was the personification of Love.

She's at the Bridge now, where she's been welcomed by so many cats who walked through the same gate before.
RIP Basil :redheartpump:

Last edited:

Nemo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beautiul and at the same time heartrending thread! Basil was a beauty, for sure! I am still coping with the recent loss of a "soul cat" named Gizmo. Though he was older than Basil (3-5 years old), we only knew him for a couple of months. I cry with you in your loss. I will never forget the last look I had of my sweet Gizmo as we euthanized him. It will haunt me forever. But I wanted to look him in the eyes and tell him I loved him before the light left his eyes. I owed him that much. This thread has brought back that moment, and the tears. But I relish the fact that I can feel these emotions, because that shows the relationship had meaning. Rest easy, Basil. May you and Gizmo become kitty pals wherever you have gone.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great love and sympathy coming your way :redheartpump: Thank you for being so loving and compassionate to her. She was lovely!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
What a sweet face! I'm so sorry for your loss =(