The Official TCS Babbling Games - Contest Now Open!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you think it matters what kind of vodka you use?  Should I use something good like Ketel One or can I squeak by with Smirnoff?
I’ve heard both ways about the vodka – doesn’t matter since you’re only making it into something else, or it does matter because then your vanilla will taste harsh. Doesn’t matter believers seemed to outnumber the does matter camp on the internet.

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I’ve heard both ways about the vodka – doesn’t matter since you’re only making it into something else, or it does matter because then your vanilla will taste harsh. Doesn’t matter believers seemed to outnumber the does matter camp on the internet.
Got it.  Thanks for the advice!  Now I can't wait to make it!

Plus, congratulations GoldEye on post #500!  

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys what can I do to pass time until something I am waiting for comes? I'm waiting on an event in march and I can't wait and am so anxious for it but I want to divert attention to something else in the meanwhile so I don't stare at a calendar all day.

edit:
PennyWise.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My unproductive monday continues.  I've succeeded in starting a load of sheets in the wash and making a cup of green tea because my feet are cold.  Oh and I fed my kids lunch. That counts for something right?  Dishes next.  Or actually drinking the tea.

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Congratulations, GoldEye! Let's keep the babbles going!

Today, all I've done was another load of laundry (and hung it up to dry). I feel like baking something. Maybe I'll set up some cookie dough and make some chocolate chip cookies...

Last edited:

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@MoochNNoodles    @GCat  

Get ready to feel good about yourselves … You guys have been so productive today!  All I've managed to do is get myself showered and dressed, and watch a whole bunch of the Olympics.  I think that's a new definition of "Lazy Monday"

(plus I've babbled like crazy!)

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Some more tips on the vanilla:

You want grade B Madagascar vanilla beans. The difference between Grade A and Grade B is cosmetic. Grade A is used when the beans are displayed in the dish, such as on top of creme brulee.

I remember people saying that the Costco brand of vodka is very good, some were wondering if it was really Grey Goose. Costco occasionally puts their brand on sale.

Congrats GoldEye.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  Cute puppy @MoochNNoodles. 
   Don't fancy the puppy pads and crate training though. 
 I prefer kitties that come knowing what to do. 

@Raintyger, lettuce like the curly leaf ones can be picked by the leaf too rather than the whole plant so you don't need to waste any and just use what you want totally fresh!  Same with perpetual spinach, and both can be expensive to buy but peezy to grow.  Both can grow in tubs too, like a window box if you don't have much room.

How come we are right back to talking mega bugs as I start to think about going off to bed for the night?  I do NOT want nightmares about supersized slugs.  Think I might have to spend some time annoying Mouse to get the picture of slimy critters out of my head now, but he looks fast asleap on another chair as far as I can see so it might take a while to wake him up.  A bit of Mouse belly rubbing called for. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations goldeye goldeye . :clap:

Plus, congratulations GoldEye on post #500!  :hobbes:

You want grade B Madagascar vanilla beans. The difference between Grade A and Grade B is cosmetic. Grade A is used when the beans are displayed in the dish, such as on top of creme brulee.

I remember people saying that the Costco brand of vodka is very good, some were wondering if it was really Grey Goose. Costco occasionally puts their brand on sale.

Congrats GoldEye.

That's interesting! I've made homemade vanilla before but it didn't seem to have enough vanilla flavor. :dk: How long should it sit for?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations @GoldEye.

That's interesting! I've made homemade vanilla before but it didn't seem to have enough vanilla flavor.
How long should it sit for?
The recipes I've followed say to let it sit for month and to give it a good shake every week. The longer you let it sit, though, the stronger the flavor will be. Melinda Lee of KCBS radio ("Food News with Melinda Lee") once talked about a vanilla made with a bourbon base that the chef had been babying for many years.

wildhoneybee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long day today - computers at work broken which was good in a way because it meant I was ok to leave early to take Moeka to the vet.  Have been sitting here listening to her yowling this evening which makes my head hurt.  Time for bed I think.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Just walked by my bottle of homemade vanilla and thought I'd bring up that it is super easy to make. If you bake you should make your own vanilla. I made it with some vodka and vanilla beans that I got from eBay. About $25 worth of materials and a lifetime supply of vanilla. Makes good gifts, too.

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/11/04/homemade-vanilla-extract-recipe/
Yes, thank you also for this baker's link.  Any sentence with "super easy" and "bake", gets me all excited, because I have no skill in the kitchen.  The website also mentions doggy biscuits which are a plus, so I could try them too, to save money on buying them.

Get them off eBay, seller vanillaproducts. Conventional avenues like supermarkets or gourmet markets are way too expensive.

Congrats GoldEye.
Yes, congrats, goldeye, and to divert attention I suggest, alot more babbling....get that other cat that you are thinking of....and also mindfulness meditation...It keeps you in the "now".

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, thank you also for this baker's link.  Any sentence with "super easy" and "bake", gets me all excited, because I have no skill in the kitchen.  The website also mentions doggy biscuits which are a plus, so I could try them too, to save money on buying them.

Yes, congrats, goldeye, and to divert attention I suggest, alot more babbling....get that other cat that you are thinking of....and also mindfulness meditation...It keeps you in the "now".

yea i'm just so excited but its making me so anxious i gotta distract myself. a second cat is only a thought though pets are expensive and heck the security pet deposit for my 1 cat was expensive enough.

cmmullig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my white cat simon sounds like he talks to me he has a  great range of sounds, my maine coon dolf with the cleft lip has a very diminutive voice but has learned to make it sound like out, so i force him to tell me he wants to go out, when i did that on xmas he slapped me between the eyes and left a scratch under my r eye, my newest girl kitten pluff has a nice vocal range, my black feral boy sweetipus pi aka sweety pi will try to stand me down with his one sound mrao the queen amazon  now oldest has a little vocal range as do the other's in the house,  zesto has a girly voice in spite of being a good sized boy sofia has a demanding raptor like tone when wanting attention food or me my tortoise shell feral female zena will not talk to me amelia another tortoise and sister of zesto rarely talks the youngest kitten cross named for being found at a cyclo cross race talks a little, all are spayed/neutered, and either rescued, or harvested from feral mothers that were fixed and turned back to their colony

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
All this babbling is sounding quite complex and my brain doesn't feel up to it.  It's amazing how tiring doing nothing can be, I swear I'm more exhausted than after a day of work, not that I want to miss my days off or anything but you'd think I should feel rested after doing pretty much nothing all day. 
   I think I'm going to have to go to bed early to cope with another day off!  
  Tomorrow I have to get showered and dressed fit to go out coz I'm getting my hair cut. 
  I love getting my hair cut.  It will be short, well it's pretty much always short but it will be shorter than it is today and look a bit better hopefully.  Then when I get home maybe Mouse will be pleased to see me and be all squeaky. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, on the topic of doing "nothing", I have a cute joke that I read in a comic strip.

The man is just sitting there on the ground, leaning his back up against a rock.  He is just sitting and admiring the sunset.

His friend walks over to him and asks, "What are you doing?"

Man says: "Nothing!"

Friend: "But I thought you said you were doing Nothing, Yesterday."

Man: "Yeah....I Did....But I am Still Not Finished!"   

On a side note...Can anyone here tell me what photo editing program they use for their digital photos?

And do you guys organize all your pet photos into one folder, or do you leave them within your family shots?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have that many pictures that aren't of Mouse so he has a huge folder and occasionally odd family and friends ones end up in there.  If I take a load of photos like if I'm out for a walk with a friend or a family event then they will have their own folders though so they don't mess up Mouse's place. 

I only have the editing stuff that came with Windows7, so not much, and I haven't really learned how to use that so not racing to buy anything else.  I look at photos that a lot of members here are taking with their phones and think they often come out the best because the cats seem less aware of what's going on! 

Last edited:

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@cat nap you can try gimp its a free alternative to photoshop

Oh, no, you broke the rules! This post will still be counted in the thread, but it can't win you a prize.

1. Minimum of 15 words per post.

Don't bother with counting words. Just make sure your posts are longer than one line and you should be ok.

2. Proper English. Please don't just hit randomly at your keyboard. No gibberish allowed and as with other posts on the site, try to avoid texting abbreviations.

3. Comprehensible posts. Your posts can be drivel, but they still need to make sense. Avoid using automated text generators. It's a babbling thread, but we still want to see communication with your fellow members.

4. Original posts only. Please do not copy and paste text from another source. Not even from this site. Not even if you were the author. Just write something fresh for this thread.

5. No consecutive posts. You can't add a reply if yours is the last post in the thread. If anyone starts talking to themselves to speed things up, they risk getting banned from this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a side note...Can anyone here tell me what photo editing program they use for their digital photos?

And do you guys organize all your pet photos into one folder, or do you leave them within your family shots?
I'm a professional graphic designer so I use Photoshop. Nowadays Photoshop is too bloated and expensive for the average person, so consider Photoshop Elements instead.

Kitty gets her own folder.

By the way, I think the forum monthly photo contests are a wonderful way to encourage taking photos of our kitties. I recommend entering the contest just so that you will take pictures of your kitty. Too often we don't think of taking pics and then when they are gone we wish we had more.