The Official TCS Babbling Games - Contest Now Open!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not know that you had to oil the cast iron when you put it away.  And Yes, they say that non-stick coatings are now dangerous.  But what about stainless steel?
I don't know about stainless steel, I have pots and pans of it, but with those I don't cook the same way and thus I don't coat them with oil.

Oiling of cast iron has several purposes, for one, that burns as new non stick coating when pan is heated up and you really need to heat cast iron pan before cooking for non stick effect to work.

With stainless steel stuff tends to stick and there generally is no coatings of oil or anything else.

I use stainless steel mostly for boiling, but when I feel lazy I might fry some meat in it, but it needs more oil then and when I make pea soup, I tend to fry meat in pot and then apply pre made pea soup on top of that and cook at low heat for quite long, that makes it quite delicious as I get taste of fried meat into it :)

Oiling cast iron pan is really easy, much easier than washing stainless steel, just drop few drops and take paper towel which you use to spread it evenly and then it is done, burning new surface is easy too, just forget the pan on stove and then apply bit of oil and wipe it clean, after smoke clears it is done :D

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by the1who feedsus  

well the good thing about this site is we dont need the babble contest to keep talking...ive been trying to learn the ins and outs of it, really glad i joined in...
It takes more than 10 minutes to heat my stove, it is actually wood furnace with steel plate on top for cooking, then it is about 15 minutes for meat to fry enough well, but good thing is that only some part of that time I need to do something about it.

I used to kill those modern frying pans in 1-2 months time and that was those really expensive ones, cheaper ones did die in just one heatup, base warped usually. This cast iron pan has served me years and it still is virtually as a new.

That wood furnace is actually from beginning of 1950's, still going strong, over 60 years old and has not needed any repairs and probably will not need for many years as it is as good as new still.

I really like all old stuff as they seem to last eternity compared to new stuff and cast iron frying pan does not need one hand to hold it down when stirring
@JTbo, me too, most of my pans have been on the go for 30 years or so.  I replaced some steel ones a few years ago as the wooden handles had been burned a bit and the screws attaching them were loose and not tightening any more so got ones with steel handles that were welded on.  

I did not know that you had to oil the cast iron when you put it away.  And Yes, they say that non-stick coatings are now dangerous.  But what about stainless steel?
Steel pans are fine health wise as far as I know, it's the pans with non stick coating or aluminum that have potential health issues.   The oiling iron pans to clean them saves them going rusty and improves the non-stick quality.  The pan my house guest keeps leaving in the sink and washing with detergent is / was my best omlette / pancake pan. 
    Steel pans sometimes discolour if you get them to too high a temperature but other than that they do last well as long as the base is heavy enough.   I like my pans.....   

The way I go on about pans and talk about food and cooking you'd think I actually cooked wouldn't you! 

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@jtbo i have some cast iron skillets in my shopping cart right now been not sure how they are supposed to be cleaned and i have somewhat of ocd. i do have some stainless steel pans but cheap ones dont know how they are gonna hold up but its all i can afford for now

also my final is this tuesday and i still have a few more assignments to turn in. this is the worst class i dont mind reading but the questions that we gotta do for homework is garbled up into the readings and difficult to sort out from the rest of the material. its the worst textbook ive ever seen for a college course smh

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@jtbo i have some cast iron skillets in my shopping cart right now been not sure how they are supposed to be cleaned and i have somewhat of ocd. i do have some stainless steel pans but cheap ones dont know how they are gonna hold up but its all i can afford for now

also my final is this tuesday and i still have a few more assignments to turn in. this is the worst class i dont mind reading but the questions that we gotta do for homework is garbled up into the readings and difficult to sort out from the rest of the material. its the worst textbook ive ever seen for a college course smh
Hot water and brush, I use sometimes brass metal brush, sometimes kind of metal wire sponge at times, those are for scrubbing if I manage to burn something into pan, which I often manage as I throw seasonings into pan which one should not do I guess.

Soap is bad, it ruins the surface, but sometimes I still use soap and just redo the surface by thin coating of oil and letting that burn, then repeat few times and it is brand new again :)

I find that my eyesight is not the best so I prefer now reading from computer screen, I can scale text up so it does not matter if letters are bit fuzzy. With traditional books my arm is not enough long and then letters go so small, maybe some day I can buy new glasses for me, then I could read traditional books again :D

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did indeed make a table for woodworking, measuring it's height it is 103cm, that is what level I need to have table for it to be comfortable level, trying to find any table of that height from shops is just about impossible

At that level I can comfortably work as much as I like, but any lower and it is indeed those short intervals only.

Oh, we are getting really close to 1000 posts now
Congratulations @JTbo  on winning!!  

And @peaches08  , it's nice to see you around again!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that my eyesight is not the best so I prefer now reading from computer screen, I can scale text up so it does not matter if letters are bit fuzzy. With traditional books my arm is not enough long and then letters go so small, maybe some day I can buy new glasses for me, then I could read traditional books again
Yes, I find I have to zoom the text up, too....LOL   But I still like to read from traditional books except it takes me forever to finish just one chapter, so now I prefer free audio books which I download onto sd-card and then listen to on mp3 or even listen to youtube lectures at night when trying to fall asleep.

Oh, I remember some textbooks we had to study from to, long ago.  I used to highlight alot of pages and used different colours.  But still the tests were difficult and often times the best tests were the multiple choice or essay type questions.

Good Luck on your finals.

The way I go on about pans and talk about food and cooking you'd think I actually cooked wouldn't you! 
LOL....You know way more than I do about cooking.  I did not know there was such a thing as a "best omlette/pancake pan".  Now I understand some of that kitchen talk my mom and sister blabber on about.  LOL....so now I also see why its important to not use the "cook's " favorite pans for just anything.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look what happens when I spend the day out of the house!!  Congratulations @JTbo!! 

This calls for a dancing banana!

I will admit; I'm a little sad.  I figured I'd be up tonight waiting and watching the post count go up!  Oh well; I got to spend a few hours with my Mom.  She was looking for a booster seat for my DD for her car.  We didn't find one in her budget at the store that was having a sale. But we did go to lunch at my DD's favorite place.... Bob Evans! lol  She love their pancakes.  After that DS and I ran to Target and then picked DD up on our way home.  It's a little bit of a drive so this really all ended up taking about 5 or so hours!  Oh well!  I meant to cook some chicken in the slow cooker but I didn't get it started.  I'm not sure what we are having for dinner now!  Ooops!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
....also my final is this tuesday and i still have a few more assignments to turn in. this is the worst class i dont mind reading but the questions that we gotta do for homework is garbled up into the readings and difficult to sort out from the rest of the material. its the worst textbook ive ever seen for a college course smh
Now that's class - hanging out babling on TCS in the lead up to your finals. 
   They say it's good to take a little break sometimes don't they? 

Look what happens when I spend the day out of the house!!  Congratulations @JTbo!! 

This calls for a dancing banana!

I will admit; I'm a little sad.  I figured I'd be up tonight waiting and watching the post count go up!  Oh well; I got to spend a few hours with my Mom.  She was looking for a booster seat for my DD for her car.  We didn't find one in her budget at the store that was having a sale. But we did go to lunch at my DD's favorite place.... Bob Evans! lol  She love their pancakes.  After that DS and I ran to Target and then picked DD up on our way home.  It's a little bit of a drive so this really all ended up taking about 5 or so hours!  Oh well!  I meant to cook some chicken in the slow cooker but I didn't get it started.  I'm not sure what we are having for dinner now!  Ooops!
I know!  I got home from work just in time for a little legit' pre-1000 babble then wham, all done!   Boy that sounds like a major shopping trip -  DD must have NEEDED that favourite pancake by the time you hit Bob Evans.  I hope DD and DS were in good form and you didn't have to throw your self on the shop floor to scream and embarass them in to silence. 
 Hmm, now I'm thinking pancakes would be nice, maybe I'll have to get my nice little pan back in to shape by making a batch over the next few days. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhhh!   I am hungry again. I gotta go and look for some frozen waffles, because all this food talk is distracting.

@MoochNNoodles  ,  Do you mean after a whole day out, with a huge lunch, your gang still expects you to cook?   Boy, those little cave people are always hungry.  LOL.  

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yay JTbo!

And a great babble was had by all!!

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@MServant more like a distraction.
i'm still kinda stressed out now about moving and its now clouding my mind my sister has me second guessing myself now i'm worried how my month to month budgeting is going to go. i could just working myself up about nothing

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Now that's class - hanging out babling on TCS in the lead up to your finals. 
   They say it's good to take a little break sometimes don't they? 

I know!  I got home from work just in time for a little legit' pre-1000 babble then wham, all done!   Boy that sounds like a major shopping trip -  DD must have NEEDED that favourite pancake by the time you hit Bob Evans.  I hope DD and DS were in good form and you didn't have to throw your self on the shop floor to scream and embarass them in to silence. 
 Hmm, now I'm thinking pancakes would be nice, maybe I'll have to get my nice little pan back in to shape by making a batch over the next few days. 
Oh the kids were very well behaved in the store.  Grandma was present!  The restaurant had them a little noisier and fidgetier (is that a word?) and DS tried tossing his little truck and crayons; but I'm not a first timer with him.  Toss em and they are MINE!
  Fortunately it wasn't busy and the hostess had the foresight to seat us off to the side with a few empty tables between us and the next patron.

@MoochNNoodles  ,  Do you mean after a whole day out, with a huge lunch, your gang still expects you to cook?   Boy, those little cave people are always hungry.  LOL.  

It still shocks me how much food my 4 year old can put away and STILL be thin as a rail!  She takes after her Daddy. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
 Oh the kids were very well behaved in the store.  Grandma was present!  The restaurant had them a little noisier and fidgetier (is that a word?) and DS tried tossing his little truck and crayons; but I'm not a first timer with him.  Toss em and they are MINE!
  Fortunately it wasn't busy and the hostess had the foresight to seat us off to the side with a few empty tables between us and the next patron.

It still shocks me how much food my 4 year old can put away and STILL be thin as a rail!  She takes after her Daddy. 

So are they better behaved with Grandma around, or do they listen to you more?  I only ask because in my friends case, it is the opposite. They take advantage of their grandma and she lets them, then comes over to my mom's place and says how tired she is.  No kidding.  But when they were small, under 5, I couldn't blame her, because they were kinda adorable and only bad when they got too much sugar or not enough sleep.

Now they are much older and still she does too much for them, but my mom says it makes her friend(the grandma) happy even if the grandma gets tired.   

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So are they better behaved with Grandma around, or do they listen to you more?  I only ask because in my friends case, it is the opposite. They take advantage of their grandma and she lets them, then comes over to my mom's place and says how tired she is.  No kidding.  But when they were small, under 5, I couldn't blame her, because they were kinda adorable and only bad when they got too much sugar or not enough sleep.

Now they are much older and still she does too much for them, but my mom says it makes her friend(the grandma) happy even if the grandma gets tired.   

DS really isn't much trouble yet; he's too little.  Or it's just minor things (though DD had already hit the "toddler" phase at this age).  I think DD tries more with me because she is with me all the time.  She spends time with my mom usually one day a week.  She gets all the attention she wants from my Mom and my step-dad, yummy snacks, and it's just paradise for a little kid.  Mom is good about not letting her get away with things like being fresh.  I don't worry too much.  When she is tired; it's definitely worse.  I have a 2nd cousin (or maybe it's 3rd?) who was spoiled rotten by his Grandmother.  Our Grandmother's are sisters.  Basically; we have an excellent example of how not to be a grandmother.  My Mom didn't let me get away with anything; but she does spoil my kids a bit and that's ok.  It's not excessive and she doesn't stand for bad behavior.  Last Sunday DD wanted to go to her house after church but my mother told her no because of how she was acting.  Sometimes I think those lessons hit home faster than when I'm the one to say no, again.
I see why they say that being a parent is not for the faint of heart. 
I do love it too though.  I found my kids snuggling on the couch the other night.  The hard stuff wears me out; but the good stuff keeps me going. They make me laugh more than they make me cry.

the1who feedsus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use stainless steel mostly for boiling, but when I feel lazy I might fry some meat in it, but it needs more oil then and when I make pea soup, I tend to fry meat in pot and then apply pre made pea soup on top of that and cook at low heat for quite long, that makes it quite delicious as I get taste of fried meat into it

hmmm a little chicken bacon, or cham (fake ham made from chicken lol) fried up and added to pea soup.. i like the idea of fancying up ready to eat soup. its also one of those quick fix, filling meals i suspect...would u mind if i added that idea to my kids recipe box?

im also grateful for the cast iron care tips. my neighbor gave me a brand new cast iron omelet pan that his ex had stored under the sink. the sink leaked, the pan rusted, he tried to clean it and improved it a little but as he said to me..."I'm a guy, i open cans, i dont make omelets" lol... i think i just need to scrub it good with steel wool, season it and itll be fine...if not...its a good doorstop lol.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm a little chicken bacon, or cham (fake ham made from chicken lol) fried up and added to pea soup.. i like the idea of fancying up ready to eat soup. its also one of those quick fix, filling meals i suspect...would u mind if i added that idea to my kids recipe box?
im also grateful for the cast iron care tips. my neighbor gave me a brand new cast iron omelet pan that his ex had stored under the sink. the sink leaked, the pan rusted, he tried to clean it and improved it a little but as he said to me..."I'm a guy, i open cans, i dont make omelets" lol... i think i just need to scrub it good with steel wool, season it and itll be fine...if not...its a good doorstop lol.
I would probably use one of those wirebrushes that are attached to electric drill and take it to bare metal so that is shiny silver, then burn all new surface to it.

If you coat it with vegetable oil, then putting pan to oven 150C for 2 hours should be enough, pig fat is another commonly used and with that it is 250C for 30 minutes. That is something that is not needed to be done unless pan is rusted and needs to be cleaned to bare metal, but one can repair those pans really well.

Only thing that is not repairable is if one manages to drop the pan, it can be of course welded back together, but it still will not work as it used to.

Oh some put carrots into premade pea soup here, I'm not a fan, but maybe works for some other taste buds :)

When I make pea soup from the dried peas it is better, but it is also very long process, peas need to sit for 12 hours, then all the slow cooking, slower means better taste, so I tend to eat more of that premade than self made :D

Only shared recipe is good recipe, imo :)

I got wheelbarrow load of sawdust from all the wood cutting I made, there is so much to do and days go so fast, but at this rate I should have quite good amount of wood for next winter, if I just manage to keep this pace up.

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh man I almost started to bawl I didn't see this thread at first glance and thought it was closed.

But my question for the day is how much do you guys spend on groceries per month?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

@MServant more like a distraction.
i'm still kinda stressed out now about moving and its now clouding my mind my sister has me second guessing myself now i'm worried how my month to month budgeting is going to go. i could just working myself up about nothing
Only time I was ever good at being tidy and keeping my hime clean was right before my finals!  Housework was suddenly very important and got done ALL the time.  I was an expert at diversion.  I did see your post about moving and then what your sister had said:  you know what you can manage, and mostly we find ways to work some how if we need to.  Remember that your sister will have been saying what she did both out of her care and concern for you and also perhaps a tinge of not wanting you to more a little further away from her....  Worry wastes energy and doesn't solve anything  (I am an expert at it, I should know).  

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh man I almost started to bawl I didn't see this thread at first glance and thought it was closed.

But my question for the day is how much do you guys spend on groceries per month?
Don't worry, when this thread gets closed there is no reason why you can't start a thread here in the lounge to ask a question like that. :bigthumb:

I don't know the answer. :lol3: I think it varies wildly. Some months I really stock up the freezer with meat and also prepare meals to freeze and other months I only buy dairy and vegetables. I'm not really consistent.