The Official TCS Babbling Games - Contest Now Open!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@MoochNNoodles,  I discovered frozen grapes in my early teens and still make them occasionally now.   I used to love them with champagne and smoked salmon as a treat breakfast at one time and even persuaded a young man to put this together for me one year. 
  (shame it was just the once).   

That reminds me of other youthful favourites like Mars bar cut in to slices and frozen, and frozen raspberries which are now readily available but were quite a treet in the 60s.  I've always had a thing about cold food and eat things like baked beans cold too.

@jcat, sorry to hear about your MiL, thankfully she was able to call that ambulance, and fingers crossed she will make a good recovery.

the1who feedsus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my thoughts and prayers are with your mother in law. a speedy and comfortable recovery.

silly foods as a child? no not really. my mom was pretty on top of things. though i did like spaghetti with just butter and parmesan cheese. and my today my 2 favorite snacks are rippled chips with ceasar salad dressing.  i dont like the thick dips much so salad dressing has the right flavor and consistency i like lol. my other fave is a big bowl of peas. but only frozen ones...not the mushy canned ones. heat up a bowl of peas  and i eat it like popcorn. my kids think im nuts lol.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the good wishes.

The one thing I really loved as a kid was "Fluffernutters" - peanut butter and marshmallow whip sandwiches, though I usually used crackers rather than bread.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
@catbehaviors Congratulations!

Not such a good day here. My 87-year-old m-i-l had a heart attack this afternoon and is in the hospital. She was home alone and called an ambulance. She'll be in for at least a couple of more days. She on the geriatric ward, not intensive care or cardiology, so things don't look too bad, but at her age you never know.
Sending lots of :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: and prayers for your MIL. So glad she was able to call the ambulance herself.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

my thoughts and prayers are with your mother in law. a speedy and comfortable recovery.

silly foods as a child? no not really. my mom was pretty on top of things. though i did like spaghetti with just butter and parmesan cheese.
My grandma always said as a child that was how she had to have her spaghetti.  She could never eat it with sauce because of her stomach.  She was  pretty sickly child and she says she is healthier now at 95 than she was as a child!  She does have dementia; so she may not remember when she isn't feeling good anyway.
  But she does move like a 75 year old.  She even danced with my cousin's husband at their wedding a couple years ago.  there were no grandsons in our family; so it was sweet too. 

I always steal peas from the container I make up for my kids!  I prefer to use the frozen ones vs the canned.  They are sweeter and have a much better texture!  My DD used to love her peas and corn cold from the refrigerator.  Now DS is a little different.  We are working on his veggie eating skills.  I discovered that he will eat canned green beans (I get the no salt added kind) but not steamed.  He willingly ate broccoli twice last week.  I celebrated!  DD and I love broccoli so I make that a lot!  DD loves salads too.  DS isn't there yet.
  I snuck a steamed green bean in his mouth the other day and he looked offended.

Now you want strange?  My MIL said she used to take leftover brown rice and heat it up and add peanut butter as an after work snack when she'd work a 2nd shift.  Bleh!!  I love both of those things...but not together!  She  may have added raisins or nuts.  I forget which she said.  But I also really do not care for rice pudding.  So sweet and rice just don't mix for me I guess!

@MServant; I forgot earlier...  I think I picked up the term "sputered" here years ago.  I can't take credit for that one.   I have heard of using frozen grapes to keep individual glasses of wine chilled.  I tried it once and it worked nicely.  I like to sip wine; so it was helpful to me!  Plus; I always have grapes on hand.  Or usually anyway!

@jcat; sending prayers and well wishes for your MIL!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I love frozen peas, and sweetcorn, but how I like them best is still frozen!   I can sit with a huge bowl and snack on them like crisps. 
   My previous tabby girls used to love frozen veg' too:  got the habit after I once spilled peas ot on the floor when I got the bag out of the freezer and they chased after them like all their birthdays had come at once.  They'd play pinging the pea or corn kernel about the floor until it had thawed a bit then chow down. 
   They always liked me to throw them the corners off my toast too, mand did the same thing pinging that around before eating it.  I am happy Mouse only likes his own food....

Oooh, yum, rice pudding. I've been thinking about making that for the last couple of weeks.  I don't like the canned stuff you buy but home made that's really thick but made with half fat milk and not so sweet is one of my favourites: I could live on that and porridge.  I like my mushy food. 

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat has chosen the wrong time to get sick. Besides her ear problem she now has bad diarrhea and its so bad that she had an accident right in front of the litter box. I took her to the vet last week because i was afraid she wasnt pooping but she was fine. i'm worried about her but money is gonna be tight for a couple of weeks til everything is situated

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poor you and poor kitty.  
  I hope things get better soon.

Sometimes I think our cats can sense when we're broke and get stressed for us (or their food bowl contents) and then get sick which of course makes the whole thing worse.   Of course with my herpes kitty that is kind of what happens as he gets stressed when I get stressed then his herpes tends to get the better of him.  I need to learn to chill out better.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor kitty!  A few years ago I had Mooch to the vet several times in a row.  It seemed one thing led to another.  It was within a few months of DD being born; but fortunately I don't believe the hospital bills started rolling in until after that. 
  I think we are done paying for the surgery she had back in December.  I think the follow up care and appointments were all included with the surgery.  That helps keep things simple.  But still not cheap!  I'm thankful for the insurance we have through DH's work.  I'm also glad she didn't need any physical therapy afterward; that would have added to the cost.  The doctor said the great thing about little kids with hand surgeries is that they kind of provide their own therapy sometimes.

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yea i have 2 weeks left til im out of here. i was excited but now i'm nervous and i need to visit a doctor myself. im moving close to an hour away from immediate family and my sister doesnt want me to cause its further away but i dont see what the big deal is. its not like im moving out of state

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Not such a good day here. My 87-year-old m-i-l had a heart attack this afternoon and is in the hospital. She was home alone and called an ambulance. She'll be in for at least a couple of more days. She on the geriatric ward, not intensive care or cardiology, so things don't look too bad, but at her age you never know.
Oh, @jcat , sending you some heavy duty prayers.  It was good that she managed to call the ambulance and that they made it in time.  They have some good heart medications these days, but I guess you have to catch it in time, and the body has to respond to the meds.  Here's hoping she responds well.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm happy dancing a little. Dinner is almost done and at a decent time. Both my kids took naps so I got some things done around the house in peace and quiet. And my husband is home; taking out the trash and cleaning the litter box.

Mooch actually took a nap on the back of the couch while the kids were sitting on it! That's a breakthrough! LOL It helps that my son didn't notice her there. ;)

I started watching the movie "What to Expect While Your Expecting" while the kids napped but I didn't get to finish. Once they are in bed; that is my plan!

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Sending you many thoughts and prayers.  It's good news that she's not in intensive care.  She's so lucky that she was able to call the ambulance by herself.  Hopefully she'll have a speedy recovery! 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I woke up today to find a row of Eastern Rosellas glaring at me from the edge of the birdbath - a very colourfully disapproving lot.  No water.  I immediately rectified the situation..

jCat.. lots of
for your MIL.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh oh mani! I've heard of birds tapping on a window when the feeder was empty; but I've never experienced it! LOL I've been keeping an eye out for a birdbath. Maybe I'll find one this year!

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been a long couple of days, and I am exhausted, so I think I'm going to head to bed.

Plus I've chosen this week to wean myself off of caffeine.  Seriously what was I thinking.  Have a good night everyone!  Here's hoping we'll reach 1000 in the next two days!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh no, not the caffeine thing... I recommend not doing it! (sorry, that was just so unhelpful... I don't know what came over me...) 

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Caught this cat peeing on my clothes which I had packed. Now I know I have to take her to the vet and I am really mad now because I have to figure out how to clean my bags. She seemed non nonchalant in doing so too

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear; time for the vet! 

Good luck PennyWise!  I enjoy my caffeine. 

My computer monitor was just acting up.  Hopefully it's just from dust.  It's hard to describe what happens; but things don't look right.  It's like for each line of text there is a dark trail to the right.  Sometimes around the edges of the whole screen too.  When it did this before I found that it's either the monitor is dying or it's dust.  So from time time time I use the compressed air on the back of the screen and it gets better.  Well when I sat down a few minutes ago; nothing!  I could tell the screen was on; but it was black.  I dusted the other day quickly because it was looking all "traily."  After I dusted again it looks much much better.  I hope that fixes it!!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
MoochNNoodles, that is what I would call an eccentric monitor.  I'm not sure how the whole dusting thing works, but I wish you well with it!

I'm off to clean and dress my 92 year old Uncle's leg ulcer.. I've been doing this now for over four months.  Ulcers are very, very difficult to get rid of.